The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #181
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like Dr. Hibbert has been quietly replaced, for the same reasoning:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/richard...-the-simpsons/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #182
sdp
Megan Fox = April

With Fox they rather retire characters than recast, Disney clearly doesn't care about recasting. Will the main simpsons family be recast after one of them dies?
It's happened in other countries dubs so why not the american version? Disney won't let this cash cow they just acquired go to waste.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #183
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

They really need to promote Kevin to series regular and have him take on most of the Black characters. He could do it.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #184
AquaParade
Banned

Wait, the original Dr. Hibbard was still alive? Too bad, really. Could have just made a new character.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #185
Leo656
The Franchise

Stupid. Really f*cking stupid.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:16 AM   #186
Sumac
Banned

Character in a satirical series being a caricature?

Spoiler:

Its like this idiots don't understand meaning of satire. Oh, wait, they don't. Its all about image and how much money they can make by pandering to retards who largely don't buy their products.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:27 AM   #187
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't have any problem with Kevin Michael Richardson. He's done a lot of great stuff in some of my favorite things.

But I do think it's kinda silly that it's apparently a law now, that he HAS to voice Every Single Black Cartoon Character On TV, and most of the ones in video games.

...He's also voiced plenty of white and Asian and other "not-black" characters, too. Which is an irony I'm sure DisneyFox are far too busy to stop and take notice of.

Black Actors voicing White Characters: ACCEPTABLE
White Actors voicing Black Characters: HORRIBLY RACIST

Like, it's ridiculous. And don't even get me started on the whole "White people voicing Black characters takes opportunities away from Black actors" supposition, because that hypothesis is exposed as complete bullsh*t once you look at those Black characters and realize that they're ALL voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, anyway! Like c'mon. Look at the guy's Wikipedia page, he's doing fine. If anything, HE'S the one "stealing opportunities" from other Black voice actors, since he's the only one anyone wants to hire, it seems like. I don't blame him for that, though; I'm just pointing out how inherently flawed the entire theory is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #188
ZariusTwo
Overlord

We'll be hearing a lot more of the new Hibbert, the show's been renewed for two more seasons

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the...ox-1234920799/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #189
neatoman
Emperor

For what cruel reason does someone keep renewing this show? It it keeps going, it won't be too long before they drop the pretense and just replace all the senior citizens voicing these characters.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #190
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't have any problem with Kevin Michael Richardson. He's done a lot of great stuff in some of my favorite things.

But I do think it's kinda silly that it's apparently a law now, that he HAS to voice Every Single Black Cartoon Character On TV, and most of the ones in video games.

...He's also voiced plenty of white and Asian and other "not-black" characters, too. Which is an irony I'm sure DisneyFox are far too busy to stop and take notice of.

Black Actors voicing White Characters: ACCEPTABLE
White Actors voicing Black Characters: HORRIBLY RACIST

Like, it's ridiculous. And don't even get me started on the whole "White people voicing Black characters takes opportunities away from Black actors" supposition, because that hypothesis is exposed as complete bullsh*t once you look at those Black characters and realize that they're ALL voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson, anyway! Like c'mon. Look at the guy's Wikipedia page, he's doing fine. If anything, HE'S the one "stealing opportunities" from other Black voice actors, since he's the only one anyone wants to hire, it seems like. I don't blame him for that, though; I'm just pointing out how inherently flawed the entire theory is.
Maybe we just have to take a deep breath and let idiots be idiots, because it is infuriating to pay attention to. I really don't know how to fight idiot, at this point, other than that.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #191
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Simpsons is a licensing cashcow, they make tons of money despite all the new seasons "sucking" I mean The show has "sucked" for far longer than it was good. According to people since I stopped watching a long time ago but they do seem a parody of themselves though still I get linked some funny clips fromt ime to time, so it can't be all bad. I remember when Disney bought Fox an acquaintance told me they weren't allowed to make any Duff merchandise anymore but I'm guessing that's no longer the case since I've seen some recent Duff merchandise.

Now that they're replacing iconic actors in roles, it's just a matter of time before the main cast is replaced. Disney just acquired the Simpsons and they aren't going to be getting rid of one of the biggest IP that Fox had. I'd actually love to see some spin-offs from the Simpsons.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #192
Prowler
Emperor

How many people still even keep up with The Simpsons nowadays? Because I haven't heard anything positive about the last 15 years or so of The Simpsons except for the movie.

Last time I watched a few modern Simpsons episodes was around 2009 or so and I was really shocked at how much the quality had dropped. It felt like every character had gotten flanderised to death and the series was pretty much running on autopilot at that point. Maybe the show has improved later again?

I guess since The Simpsons are so huge they'll always have a sizeable enough audience to justify making more episodes.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #193
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

That show has been around for years, and non of the characters have aged.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #194
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I hate shows where characters don't age, and for a comedy like The Simpsons it would've actually worked and given writers more material to work with, people always loved the future episodes. They didn't need to age them 1 year every season but a little over time to provide new writing opportunities.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #195
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
That's hardly an exclusive phenomenon of The Simpsons.

Did any of the South Park kids age throughout the years? I remember that one episode where they were now in 4th grade, but it's not like they became any significantly older since then.

Remember the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes? It lasted for a decade and Calvin never aged nor did anyone else in it.

I don't think chars years not aging has any relation to the shows decline in quality. I'd say it's more due to writers running out of ideas throughout the years. Gonna guess some of the staff had changed as well. Hard to keep things fresh for over 3 decades.

I can't pinpoint exactly where The Simpsons began declining since it's been ages since I was a regular watcher but I could tell the early 2000s seasons weren't as good as the 90s seasons. It wasn't a HUGE difference or anything, but it showed.

As for how long people have been complaining about The Simpsons losing quality... not sure, but I remember people already complaining about it online back in 2006.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #196
AquaParade
Banned

I still watch the older season. The show has been bad for so long now that it may as wel keep going until it’s good again. It can’t be any more tarnished. Maybe Disney can hire some fantastic writes who understand the humor of the earlier seasons.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #197
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I still watch the older season. The show has been bad for so long now that it may as wel keep going until it’s good again. It can’t be any more tarnished. Maybe Disney can hire some fantastic writes who understand the humor of the earlier seasons.
I don't trust Disney at all. And it's depressing how they own The Simpsons now too. They're like a eucalyptus...
Old 03-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #198
sdp
Megan Fox = April

From what I understand current seasons still have like 2-4 great episodes and a few decent ones even if most of the season is bad, there are guides over what episodes to watch that are worthy of "old simpsons". To me they started getting bad when plots became crazier and celebrities started appearing often.

I don't think you can fix the simpsons now, "Simpson's already did it" was true and that was like ten years ago. You can't continue to make consistently good seasons on something that's already done everything and characters have become a parody of themselves. They could still make a great second movie and a great final episode, but consistently good seasons? nah.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #199
Prowler
Emperor

The Simpsons should have learnt from Seinfeld. They should have bowed out when they were still must watch TV. Funny enough, Seinfeld and Simpsons are contemporaries.

It's too late now. The Simpsons have tarnished their reputation. Of course nothing will ever change the fact their first 10 or so seasons were great and some of the best written TV episodes in history, but it seems like we've already reached a point where half or more of the series episodes are mediocre. And that's pretty sad. The Simpsons deserved a much better legacy.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:43 PM   #200
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
They actually have aged just at an incredibly slow rate. All the family members have had birthdays and have aged a year or two.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funnierthanmodernsimpsons, no more indians, thank you come again