The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #41
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Wasn't there an early episode where Stan's parents divorced, but eventually got back together? Sharon even had a boyfriend and Stan didn't like him.

Anyway, I haven't seen this latest ep, but Cartman and Kyle as close friends just doesn't sit well with me, as I've always enjoyed Stan and Kyle hanging together and stuff. Guess I'll have to see the ep and stuff to give a fair opinion on it, though.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #42
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Actually, looking back on it, I now remember that Stan's family is moving. It will be interesting to see what else happens.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #43
plasticturtle
Foot Soldier

It seems like they're going to be ending the show soon. It's a shame. It's still one of the best things on TV.
plasticturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #44
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, I know. I'd hate for it to end since it's stayed fresh all these years, unlike The Simpsons which has just gone sour over the years. But if that's Trey's and Matt's decision, then that's it. We can always just keep watching DVDs.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
sdp
Megan Fox = April

So, how is South Park in 2020? I feel nostalgic to watch SP again, haven't really watched since the mid 00's. I did watch a few episodes in 2016 and they seemed to be doing the same sattire from the mid 00's.

I don't think I can watch all those seasons with dated jokes of the political climate at the time, I feel the early seasons which were mostly "shock" humor ironically have aged better in that regard. When did that "classic" style end? After th emovie?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #46
Galactus
Foot Elite

I recently watched the movie again and while it was enjoyable but it was weird to be reminded of the show before Butters was a thing or when Mr Garrison was just their teacher with a puppet and not sexually confused president etc.

I think the show slowly changed after the attempt to kill off Kenny for good. That's when they slowly started to experiment with new characters, boosting up previously secondary characters etc. By the 2010s it was a very different show.

I must admit I've dipped in and out in the last few years. Last I saw they'd renamed the show Tegridy Farm and it was reworked as the Marshes and Towelie running a farm growing you know what. I git the distinct impression Matt and Trey are desperate for it to end.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #47
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I must admit I've dipped in and out in the last few years. Last I saw they'd renamed the show Tegridy Farm and it was reworked as the Marshes and Towelie running a farm growing you know what. I git the distinct impression Matt and Trey are desperate for it to end.
With the banning of the Muhamed episodes on streaming platforms, I'm kind of surprised Matt and Trey have been so lax about their show getting treated like that.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #48
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
So, how is South Park in 2020? I feel nostalgic to watch SP again, haven't really watched since the mid 00's. I did watch a few episodes in 2016 and they seemed to be doing the same sattire from the mid 00's.

I don't think I can watch all those seasons with dated jokes of the political climate at the time, I feel the early seasons which were mostly "shock" humor ironically have aged better in that regard. When did that "classic" style end? After th emovie?
Similar boat here. The show became so topical when I began to tune out, and while I respect that, I found myself missing the small town charm of the earlier seasons.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #49
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't know what season they are even on now, watched for a couple of years in the early 2000s, then trailed off and stopped altogether. Same with Simpsons and family guy, though I stuck with them a little longer.

I remember some yeas back seeing an advertisement for the new season of South Park at the time, it said 'be offended, be very offended', not sure how much they get away with now.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #50
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

South Park is garbage now. Too much focus on Randy and characters besides the four kids.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #51
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, you can tell they'd much rather just spoof current events than tell stories and it's been a big problem. They always DID spoof current events, or at least try and be topical, but it's become very overdone. And the entire Season being dedicated to One Joke every year for most of the last several was annoying. Miss an episode, lose the plot, BUT the jokes aren't funny enough to make up for it.

Like, the Cartman and Heidi stuff is just painful and depressing to watch and I don't know what it adds to a "comedy" show. It's obvious that the writers want Heidi to be sympathetic, because Cartman tricked her into a relationship under false pretense and manipulated her into becoming just as big of a scumbag as he is. And they beat you over the head with "But she was such a good person before they got involved" and devote many, many, MANY episodes worth of subplots to them. But I'm not invested, because of One Simple Thing: She saw anything GOOD in Eric Cartman, and that means that she was a f*cking idiot from the jump, and doesn't deserve any sympathy or empathy because she created that situation. She decided to give the benefit of the doubt to a guy who once made a kid eat his own dead parents... and she got burned. "Oops." Now the result is just one MORE unlikable character on a show that's overflowing with them.

Does it happen all the time? Is it "REAL"? Sure, but Jesus, it's South Park. Does anybody watch it to see 10-year olds navigate the very real cesspool of Toxic Relationships? "Aww, isn't that funny? That girl's gonna be in therapy the rest of her life, this show is so topical and relevant."

Part of it feels like their clumsy attempt at spoofing the "equality" movement since the Cartman/Heidi stuff started at the same time as the "PC Principal" stuff. Like Trey and Matt said "Fine, if women wanna be 'equal' so bad, we'll show that girls can be just as ignorant and toxic as boys are" and set about creating a Female Cartman. But one Cartman was bad enough even though he's necessary for the show. I know women who've been in abusive relationships who used to love South Park, and they can't even watch it now because the Heidi stuff hits too close to home for them. Does anybody really wanna watch SOUTH PARK to be depressed? Not even "offended", but just plain depressed? It was a bad move.

My wife still loves it, so I see it often, but it's definitely fallen off. Even when they tried - or said they were gonna try - not to make One Joke into a whole Season, it kinda felt like it was too late. They SAID that and then did "Tegridy Farms", so I kinda don't believe them. And so, SO much "We were really high when we wrote this" kinda stuff. Santa Claus doing cocaine, that's fun. That's really, really cute, You Guys. I GET it, you love drugs. Jesus, just be funny!

I do still laugh at some of it, but mostly because their spoofing of over-the-top "PC Culture" is so bang-on that it drives the nail right through the board. It's very on-the-nose but at least SOMEONE is saying it. PC Principal being all about not bullying people while being a huge bully who literally beats up anyone, even children, who don't agree with him, "PC Babies don't even know why they're crying", all the stuff about needing multiple consent forms just to have sex with a woman... ALL of that is spot-on and very funny... The first time. I don't know how many times they really needed to REPEAT those jokes over the last five years, though; I'm PRETTY sure that anyone who was gonna get the joke, got the joke the first time.

I'unno, there's not always much on at 3 in the morning. And the two RPG games were terrific. But I can't really say it's that good. I feel like Trey and Matt have mentally moved on, and that if it were up to them they'd just have a show that did nothing but spoof current events, like a Daily Show with a less-Liberal slant, and are just using South Park as a vehicle to do that while fulfilling contractual obligations to the network.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #52
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
For me personally, the episodes are hit and miss, but that's the case with most series, right? I felt that the most recent season was okay since they featured the kids a bit more.

The 2016 (that's when the election was, wasn't it?) season was probably the worst. They seemed to write themselves into a corner with that season since Trump won the election.

To date I have seen every episode of the series and surprisingly, I still prefer it to the Simpsons and Family Guy at this point, but I still do occasionally go back to older episodes of South Park. I miss the show focusing more so around Stan and his friends. Later seasons have too much focusing around Randy. The season where Gerald was acting like a troll and cyber bullying people into killing themselves while also not getting called out or punished for it and having Ike take the blame wasn't very rewatchable for me as far as recent eps go that come to mind for me.

Oh the Integridy Farms thing from last season kind of worked...because it didn't go on the entire season. The real-world explanation for it was the weather changing and how you don't grow weed in winter. lol

At this point, though, it does seem like Matt and Trey are tired. I think I liked the last season because it flowed more like a South Park season. It didn't feel like one ongoing joke...I suppose. The eps still aren't as memorable, I admit, compared the earlier seasons. In all honesty, aside from the episode with the town switching to streaming services and ditching cable because the cable workers were so slow to do their actual jobs and getting revenge in a window between 8 and 6 (lol...seriously, this was actually funny that all their plans revolved around that and they were still late) causing Scott Malkeson (sp?) to not show the new girl the Mandalorian, I don't remember much about last season. Oh yeah...Randy smoking bad weed and tripping out majorly...but there was a line at the end by Randy that really sounded like something Matt and Trey would feel...but can't remember the line.
Quote:
One of my favorite episodes, was the Dances with Smurfs ep. Cartman was pretty much a Glenn Beck type attacking the President (Wendy) for somehow changing everything, but not doing anything like a lot of far right wingers were accusing Obama of at the time. Thought it was a really funny episode and still do.

Last edited by ssjup81; 07-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #53
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, I still actually like Family Guy a lot better, because while both shows try and pull off the "We get away with low-brow humor by being topical and clever" gimmick, Family Guy at least isn't pretentious about it. When South Park had to do a whole big thing about how "We're Smart, Family Guy is Stupid" it just felt like they were whining about another show getting more attention in recent years despite doing the same basic gimmick that South Park invented and perfected. Just felt like sour grapes.

And knowing that Trey and Matt actually feel that way in real life to the point of getting genuinely upset when people compare the two shows, made me lose a little respect for them. One thing they've never been until that moment was whiny. I've read a few interviews with Seth McFarlane over the years, and while I don't agree with everything he says or thinks, he's like the opposite of pretentious, or at least that's how he comes off. He kinda comes off as having a sort of "I'm just a schmuck who got lucky telling fart jokes" attitude, whereas Trey and Matt have to be the smartest and most clever guys in the room or else they can't handle it and lash out. That's how that whole things came off, to me.

Plus, I just feel like Family Guy is more consistently funny. They both do lowbrow humor, but Family Guy isn't afraid to go super-dark or incredibly mean-spirited, and they don't pretend they're trying to spread a message, they're just trying to make you laugh at things you know you "shouldn't" laugh at but can't help it. Which is what South Park USED to be. At some point they started getting really preachy and it hurt the show. I mean, I definitely align more politically with Trey and Matt than I do with Seth - Seth is outspokenly very liberal, while Trey and Matt outspokenly hate liberals and call them hypocrites - but it's like, their finger-wagging and needing to have a "message" diluted the impact of the show.

I haven't had a good, sincere, "Almost-fell-over-because-I-can't-believe-they-Went-There" type of laugh from watching South Park in a while, whereas Family Guy still gets me there. Again, if the point is to make people laugh at "offensive" humor, one show goes whole-hog and the other dilutes it with trying to deliver A Message. Why not just be funny?

I know you CAN have it both ways, and I admire Trey and Matt for trying to do so and occasionally delivering on it. But it doesn't consistently work very well.

Whenever they replay those episodes about Black Friday and Xbox vs. PS4, I don't even laugh. It's just social commentary, there's no f*cking jokes. Like YES, man, vapid consumerism, blind loyalty to brand names, we get it, wakka wakka. It's not funny! They've just done way too much of that kinda thing in recent years. And obviously Trey and Matt think it's funny. It's just that they're booking the show for their own amusement, now, rather than that of the audience, and it's very transparent.

Like, if I wanna watch a cartoon show about black humor, full of "jokes" about rape and AIDS and pedophilia and crippled people, if that's what I'm in the mood to watch then JUST Do That. I don't need that stuff AND a giant neon sign telling me how this is a parallel to Real Life. It's never as "clever" as they think it is.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:01 PM   #54
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Eh, I still actually like Family Guy a lot better, because while both shows try and pull off the "We get away with low-brow humor by being topical and clever" gimmick, Family Guy at least isn't pretentious about it. When South Park had to do a whole big thing about how "We're Smart, Family Guy is Stupid" it just felt like they were whining about another show getting more attention in recent years despite doing the same basic gimmick that South Park invented and perfected. Just felt like sour grapes.

And knowing that Trey and Matt actually feel that way in real life to the point of getting genuinely upset when people compare the two shows, made me lose a little respect for them. One thing they've never been until that moment was whiny. I've read a few interviews with Seth McFarlane over the years, and while I don't agree with everything he says or thinks, he's like the opposite of pretentious, or at least that's how he comes off. He kinda comes off as having a sort of "I'm just a schmuck who got lucky telling fart jokes" attitude, whereas Trey and Matt have to be the smartest and most clever guys in the room or else they can't handle it and lash out. That's how that whole things came off, to me.

Plus, I just feel like Family Guy is more consistently funny. They both do lowbrow humor, but Family Guy isn't afraid to go super-dark or incredibly mean-spirited, and they don't pretend they're trying to spread a message, they're just trying to make you laugh at things you know you "shouldn't" laugh at but can't help it. Which is what South Park USED to be. At some point they started getting really preachy and it hurt the show. I mean, I definitely align more politically with Trey and Matt than I do with Seth - Seth is outspokenly very liberal, while Trey and Matt outspokenly hate liberals and call them hypocrites - but it's like, their finger-wagging and needing to have a "message" diluted the impact of the show.

I haven't had a good, sincere, "Almost-fell-over-because-I-can't-believe-they-Went-There" type of laugh from watching South Park in a while, whereas Family Guy still gets me there. Again, if the point is to make people laugh at "offensive" humor, one show goes whole-hog and the other dilutes it with trying to deliver A Message. Why not just be funny?

I know you CAN have it both ways, and I admire Trey and Matt for trying to do so and occasionally delivering on it. But it doesn't consistently work very well.

Whenever they replay those episodes about Black Friday and Xbox vs. PS4, I don't even laugh. It's just social commentary, there's no f*cking jokes. Like YES, man, vapid consumerism, blind loyalty to brand names, we get it, wakka wakka. It's not funny! They've just done way too much of that kinda thing in recent years. And obviously Trey and Matt think it's funny. It's just that they're booking the show for their own amusement, now, rather than that of the audience, and it's very transparent.

Like, if I wanna watch a cartoon show about black humor, full of "jokes" about rape and AIDS and pedophilia and crippled people, if that's what I'm in the mood to watch then JUST Do That. I don't need that stuff AND a giant neon sign telling me how this is a parallel to Real Life. It's never as "clever" as they think it is.
Ironically, it isn't the humor of Family Guy that caused me to finally just grow a bit out of it, but the characters. I personally prefer the earlier episodes when the family seemed to actually like each other. Maybe they've gone back to that, but I would actually doubt it. I think I was starting to grow out of Family Guy round about the time they started to bash Meg a lot for no real reason. I hated that. I just didn't like the bullying of her character I guess because it seemed so unbalanced. Like earlier seasons, Lois was ready to take out those popular kids for humiliating Meg. Peter committed welfare fraud for his family, and to provide his little girl with that cosmetic surgery craziness that she always wanted. Think it was lip injections or something. You know...like they loved her. I heard the reason this was done, was due to the fact that they couldn't think of anything to write for a teenage girl.

I liked the gag of Stewie wanting to kill Lois, personally...but to be fair, like Kenny dying every episode in South Park, I'm sure it became tiresome coming up with ways to plot for Stewie to kill Lois. I know that's one of the reasons why they kill Kenny off sparingly now and is genuinely a surprise when it does happen.

I kind of liked Brian as the voice as reason, but he did become a bit pretentious and preachy.

I hated that whole thing with Quagmire suddenly hating Brian. It came from out of nowhere when comparing the twos' interactions from the previous seasons. If maybe it was always shown that Quagmire was distant or so-so with Brian and that episode just finally revealed why, that would've been fine. These two, up until that point, always acted pretty friendly with one another for the most part.

I guess my problem with Family Guy from the point I stopped regularly watching, was the fact that the show itself was becoming a bit too mean-spirited for my liking. With South Park, even with its blatant flaws, the dynamics for the most part, are relatively the same. Stan and Kyle are still best friends. Cartman still rips on Kyle and teases Kenny for being poor. He is still spoiled and bosses his mother around at times, even though she does get stern with him sometimes. Stan is still a selfish character that cares way too much about his self-image that expresses himself through artistic means (music). Kyle is still the voice of reason who does seem to get screwed over a lot. Kenny is still the perv with integrity and the heart of gold.

As for the Simpsons, which ironically, Matt and Trey do seem to like, I just grew bored, but for me that happened back in season 10 and I think it's because some more of the writers left. I'm not sure, but maybe around season 9 it wasn't as fun as the previous seasons to me. One thing I will say about the Simpsons, though...if I do watch a later episode, I'll never doubt Homer and Marge's love for each other or their family. That's been consistent throughout the run, unless used for a plot point of an episode....and I did see that one with the divorce or whatever...didn't care for it.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #55
AquaParade
Banned

This thread sort of inspired me to go back and watch some older seasons. I'll check out the new ones if I'm ever curious, but I'm sticking to what I know for now and enjoying the crap out of episodes from seasons 6-11 right now.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, like any long-running show, early seasons of shows like Family Guy aren't often going to mesh with what comes later. I point that out often, myself. "American Dad" might be a little worse with that problem, but in either case the characters are just more or less not even the same people as they were in the first two Seasons. Kind of an unavoidable problem, really, because Plots require Conflict and sometimes you run out of stuff to do, so you have to invent stuff out of thin air. So all of a sudden Meg is the punching bag, Stewie doesn't wanna kill Lois anymore at all, Bonnie hates Joe, Joe constantly wishes he were dead, etc. etc. None of those things are reconcilable at all with the early Seasons, but at some point it's like "Eh".

It's not just you, though, I point it out all the time. Like a few years ago, they did a whole episode about Lois convincing Bonnie not to cheat on Joe, and Joe trying to get her to love him again, and so then Bonnie decides not to do it and they reconcile. Then the other day they have Bonnie just casually cheating on Joe (and it's been kind of implied elsewhere it happens semi-often now), so it's like, "Well, that entire episode was kinda pointless now." But that's just the way these things go.

I mean, it's a show where characters frequently die or commit suicide on-screen only to be perfectly fine in the very next scene. So at some point you stop trying to reconcile the irreconcilable, and accept that the show is just a vehicle for Very Dark Jokes and not over-think it.

You'd most likely hate the newer seasons, as it's basically kind of like gone more into an "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" vibe, where it's just a show about terrible people doing terrible things and how that can be very funny sometimes. There's not really any characters to like or "root" for, and everyone's a real piece of sh*t compared to how they were originally presented. Quagmire went from being "a little date-rapey" to a full-blown necrophiliac/pedophile/zoophile (who's been noted as having sex with dead people, animals, and little kids, but somehow has a moral compass when it comes to not f*cking his own full-grown daughter Figure THAT out). Joe went from being a little depressed about his condition to constantly either trying to kill himself or saying he wants to. Bonnie openly wishes that Joe was dead and tells him at every opportunity how much being with him has ruined her life. Lois drinks constantly, does coke and meth when nobody's around, and either does or does not constantly cheat on Peter depending on which episode you're watching. Peter's literally barely-functioning, also cheats on Lois with both women and men because now he's a closeted homosexual or bisexual, and Lois and Peter are only together until the kids are done with school, they openly talk about wanting a divorce. Chris huffs glue and paint, Meg constantly cuts herself and is now ALSO either a lesbian or bisexual, depending on the episode. Stewie's given up on world domination and spends all his time trying to have over-the-top gay sex with as many partners as possible, that's his only function, although he does still kill people. Cleveland has an entirely different family thanks to the spin-off show. Chris and Brian are oddly enough the characters who are most like their early-Season counterparts, in that Chris was always generally pretty dumb and Brian was always pretty pretentious. So they haven't changed very much at all; Brian's only Big Change, is that in a Season One episode he warns Peter not to piss of God by making himself a false idol, and is totally convinced that the bad things happening to Peter are God's wrath... but pretty much since Season 2 he's been a hard-line Atheist who doesn't believe in God even though Jesus Christ is a recurring character on the show and they've hung out with him. So that one Season 1 episode probably shouldn't even count towards his character, since it's such an aberration. If you throw out that single Season 1 Episode, Brian's almost the exact same character, but that makes sense since Seth has said that Brian is more or less his avatar, or at least the character he has the most in common with.

These can all be taken as negatives, and are definitely a huge indicator of how much the show has changed in 20 years.

BUT... I kinda don't care. I don't watch it for the plot or consistency. It's JUST a show about Scumbags Being Scumbags, there's not a single redeemable or likeable character to be found, and it's all just a vehicle for Shock Value Humor. And you know what? I like that. I like how mean-spirited and unapologetically vile it is. For one thing, South Park doesn't even do "dark humor" or shock value anymore; they don't push the envelope, they just make very twisted social commentary. But the show still has a point of view that it wants you the viewer to agree with, and they spend a lot of time making its case. "Family Guy"? They're pretty open about just being Stupid Sh*t. They don't have a point of view or an agenda. They're not trying to make you think or persuade you towards any point of view. They JUST want to trick you into rooting for an outspoken child molester because he's fist-fighting a Nazi, and to get you to laugh at jokes about AIDS and necrophilia and rape because "You're not supposed to laugh at that stuff."

Y'know... the stuff South Park USED to do.

I like that. I like that there's no point and no pretense to Family Guy. I watch it the same way I used to watch Aqua Teen: Just to laugh at something stupid that has no point and where everyone in it is just plain terrible. There's no point, and THAT's the point.

If I want plots and likeable characters, there's a million shows I can watch. But sometimes, I just want to placate my Inner Scumbag. And frankly, I think if that's the only criteria, Family Guy surpassed South Park at that about 10 years ago. Because regardless of things like character consistency or plot, Family Guy is just plain more consistently funny than South Park. At least in the last decade or so.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I totally know and even understand why most people hate Family Guy anymore, I just think they're overthinking it.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 AM   #57
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I still watch the show, I agree that I would like more episodes that focus on the main 4(well 5 because Butters). I would love more episodes like Coon and Friends, Major Boobage, Imagination Land, Make Love, Not Warcraft, etc. Basically episodes with the kids being kids and ones where there grand or at least wacky adventures. But there has still been good episodes in recent seasons especially their Halloween episodes.

Don't get me wrong I like it when they focus on a character who rarely gets attention like Pip, Wendy, Scott Malkinson, etc.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:24 AM   #58
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
If I want plots and likeable characters, there's a million shows I can watch. But sometimes, I just want to placate my Inner Scumbag. And frankly, I think if that's the only criteria, Family Guy surpassed South Park at that about 10 years ago. Because regardless of things like character consistency or plot, Family Guy is just plain more consistently funny than South Park. At least in the last decade or so.
I actually agree with everything you said in your initial post...but just for me, I know I'd probably still enjoy Family Guy if the characters still acted cordial with one another since that's how the series started and that's what was established. Like I said, I didn't have a problem with the humor...just hate that everyone is so mean to each other now. If it had started off that way, I'd probably be more cool with it.

In some ways, Family Guy also feels like the creators are tired. Didn't Seth originally want to end the series after like season 8?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I still watch the show, I agree that I would like more episodes that focus on the main 4(well 5 because Butters). I would love more episodes like Coon and Friends, Major Boobage, Imagination Land, Make Love, Not Warcraft, etc. Basically episodes with the kids being kids and ones where there grand or at least wacky adventures. But there has still been good episodes in recent seasons especially their Halloween episodes.

Don't get me wrong I like it when they focus on a character who rarely gets attention like Pip, Wendy, Scott Malkinson, etc.
That episode last season with the cable company I thought was funny and it did focus around Scott Malkinson. I really really liked it mainly because it focused around the kids and it was interesting to learn that Scott's father worked for the cable company and how deadset against streaming services he was for his family when Scott asked his father to get Disney+ since he wanted to impress the new girl who was also diabetic and watch the Mandalorian, which she was a big fan of. It was really cute, but I felt sorry for him too in regards to his crush. The extremes he took to try to get streaming at his house was crazy and using Nathan, I think it was, for Scott to buy accounts of of, or whatever, to get the service was so silly. lol Too bad I don't recall much from the rest of the season. That ep just stood out to me. Wait, was this also the episode where at the end of the ep the viewers could dial an actual phone number?

Oh another episode that was more recent that's popping into mind for me that I did find funny, was that one with Strong Woman. I LOVED the Macho Man Randy Savage references for it.

It was an interesting take on the whole Trans people in sporting competitions thing and how conflicted PC Principal and Strong Woman were because of their overly PC views. They couldn't discriminate because it wouldn't be PC, but they felt it was unfair, which led to more conflicting views on the topic. PC Principal wanted to defend Strong Woman, but felt he couldn't because it wouldn't be PC because she's a strong, independent female who doesn't need a man to fight her battles. I do feel that things are a bit overly PC now, though, and crap like this is just another problem with this whole PC culture.

Oh, that Halloween episode I think a couple of seasons ago was interesting since it was a Kenny episode and he was with Mr. Mackey. Not often you get that. They need to do more Kenny episodes in general. I loved the Coon & Friends stuff and wish they'd bring that back. I kinda wish they'd revisit the Kenny not being able to die thing again, actually. I wouldn't mind them doing another ep on Stan's Asperger's Syndrome stuff or one of his other issues...but...they pretty much already established that he has addictive tendencies like Randy and his Grandfather. I only liked the episode because we got to see Satan again and it was cool seeing him take over Stan's body, with permission, to fight the Canadian devil. lol

If they do another Coon & Friends thing, they should take some elements from the Fractured but Whole game. The final villain...so stupid. lol They could even bring back Mintberry Crunch. Bottom line, I want another ep 200/201...only with Coon & Friends. Maybe also bring back Scott Tenorman because he never fully got his revenge on Cartman.

Trying to think of another recent episode....wait, didn't they have a Christmas episode recently? I think Randy was selling really good coke or something with all the adults in town getting hooked and Santa and Jesus were in the episode...meh, the ep didn't really stand out for me.

I wonder how Matt and Trey will approach the whole COVID-19 stuff when the show returns for its usual 10-episode run.

Last edited by ssjup81; 07-28-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #59
Leo656
The Franchise

THAT was definitely one of the better episodes South Park has done recently, for sure. Literally saying "I'm a woman!" with his bushy beard and his testicles swinging around like speedbags. I mean when they want to, they can still knock out a really good one.

I pretty much see a couple episodes of both shows almost every day on account of my wife, so I've had a lot of time to really nail down what Does and Does Not work for me with either show over the last couple of years. Again, not much else on at 3am!

Altogether though my BIGGEST problem with South Park in recent times is how Comedy Central only seems to replay the same 25 episodes on a loop lately. I've seen Stan cut his stupid bracelet off so many times I don't even care anymore. But that's the network's fault.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #60
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
THAT was definitely one of the better episodes South Park has done recently, for sure. Literally saying "I'm a woman!" with his bushy beard and his testicles swinging around like speedbags. I mean when they want to, they can still knock out a really good one.

I pretty much see a couple episodes of both shows almost every day on account of my wife, so I've had a lot of time to really nail down what Does and Does Not work for me with either show over the last couple of years. Again, not much else on at 3am!

Altogether though my BIGGEST problem with South Park in recent times is how Comedy Central only seems to replay the same 25 episodes on a loop lately. I've seen Stan cut his stupid bracelet off so many times I don't even care anymore. But that's the network's fault.
Ah, we don't have cable, so I was streaming the show on Hulu, but they no longer have it. It's on HBO Max now and I'm not about to get that just to watch South Park. lol

Yeah, that ep with the trans athletes was hilarious. What was that bracelet thing with Stan? I kinda remember something about that, but I guess nothing particular stood out for me to remember anything specific.