The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #101
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

So long as you're a chick, or you're watching because your chick S.O. is in the room. Otherwise someone is going to question your masculinity.

It's a shame that guys are told they can't identify with female characters.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was one of my favorite shows, and it starred a female. This doesn't look the same in tone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #103
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I honestly don't disagree with CyberCubed here. He's not saying it won't be good, but the target audience is obvious. What I'm confused about is why this won't be a CW show, I thought they had the rights to all DC characters?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #104
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

What he's implying is that shows with a target female audience are "Less Than" shows aiming for a male demographic. And that the only way a man/boy would lower himself to watch a show like this is if forced to by their female significant others.

This not being someone thing because they're not interested in the tone?
Fine. Go thy own way, my friend. Lord knows I gave up on Smallville because it got way too soapy for my taste.

He's gender policing, and it's obnoxious.
Made more so by his use of "female" in place of "woman," and his previous comments about perving on the actress in the lead role.

As the song goes:
It's okay to not like things, but don't be a douche about it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 PM   #105
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Doo Doo Acureds*** View Post
What I'm confused about is why this won't be a CW show, I thought they had the rights to all DC characters?
The CW Network is the offspring of CBS Corp and Time Warner. So any DC character show can air on CW, CBS, TNT, Showtime, TBS, HBO, Cartoon Network, TCM, ect...
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #106
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The pilot leaked last night. Currently downloading it, feedback seems positive from what I've read so far.

Spoiler:
It only takes her ten minutes to fly, as opposed to Smallville's ten years
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #107
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I just finished watching it. It was actually pretty good, much better than the trailers made it out to be. Just like Grant Gustin did with Flash, Melissa Benoist did a great job as Supergirl. I definitely think the show has potential to be just as good as The Flash. Even the special effects were pretty great.

Still not sure if I can ever get use to Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen, though.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #108
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It's a shame that guys are told they can't identify with female characters.
and vice versa...

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #109
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

After watching it I have to say it's better than I thought it would be.

Spoiler:

1: The Danvers' are scientists who helped Superman when he was first starting out.

2: Kara was stuck in the phantom zone for years and accidentally released the phantom zone prison, Ft. Roz/Ross, when she got out.

3: Alura was a judge I guess on Krypton and all the prisoners are now pissy and gonna be after Kara.

4: Of COURSE Alura has an evil sister...who's now leader of the bad guys!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #110
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

I might give this a shot, but I honestly can't get into any of these DC shows. That includes Arrow, Flash, Smallville, Gotham, etc. I don't really know why.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #111
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I enjoyed the hell out of Smallville! If anything it's my favorite live action incarnation of the DC world. Sure it had its flaws, but the storytelling was pretty good in my honest opinion.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #112
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh my GOD. I know it's an opinion, but oh my God, man. Every single character on Smallville was just, the biggest idiot ever. NONE of the stories work UNLESS every single person involved is an idiot. I mean, forget staying true to the source material, that show was embarrassed to even be anything even resembling a Superman show, which always made me question WHY they even bothered making it in the first place... but no, forget that. And forget how "Clark" is the whiniest, bitchiest, snottiest little jackass who makes EVERY bad decision possible, and then does it AGAIN and AGAIN... and how every single person looooves Lana to death, despite the fact that she's an awful person who treats people horribly... and then how when they DO bother to put in stuff from the comics, like Doomsday, they do it sooooooooo BADLY, that...

......Y'know what? NO, DON'T forget all that. *I* can't forget about it, so nobody else gets to forget, either! I've seen WAY more of that show than I ever wanted to, and as an irrationally devoted Superman fan, I gotta say, "It's flawed" doesn't come CLOSE to covering it. That show, is nothing but the prettiest, shiniest turd in the entire DC/WB pantheon. Poorly written, poorly paced, poorly acted, went on FOREVER despite nobody really caring past Season 4, and embarrassed by its own source material. I wish I could hate it right out of existence.

I could write a book. A BOOK. About JUST that one show and how aaaaaawwwwwwful it is.

You're entitled to your opinion, but man, I just don't get it. I mean, I'm pretty sure some channels still show reruns of the Mary Tyler Moore show. Even Cagney and Lacey. I mean, the A-Team is always on SOMEwhere. ANYTHING but Smallville. Nobody should ever watch Smallville. C'mon, man.
---------------------------------------

I didn't catch the Supergirl pilot but I'm sure I'll see it. This "Jimmy Olsen" is just the worst kind of stunt casting, though. I mean all the way through to having a completely different personality, it's pretty clearly "Jimmy" in name only. Same with Flockheart playing Cat Grant/Anna Wintour. I hate when they do stuff like that. That's not who those characters are or how they act, just stick different names on them if you're going out of your way to be different. Looks are one thing, but when you then go so far as to completely change a character's personality and/or history, it's no longer the same character.

But it *looks* good and that's gonna carry it far. I was kinda thinking since it was "just Supergirl" they'd go cheap on it, but it looks like it cost a decent amount of money. That'll help.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:16 AM   #113
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Smallville had a decent enough Lois/Clark angle, and that always does it for me in Supe shows. What got me was by the time he got stared as Superman, he'd only went and beaten everyone. Good thing the comic continuation managed to work in a few extra things, including a Crisis!

On to the pilot of Supergirl:

Spoiler:
Outside of a few extra surprises and some bonus padding, the whole thing is basically the trailer. I'm going to enjoy Jimmy being one of the Superfriends (and yes, we're going to call them that whether you like it or not Kara). I thought the way Henshaw's men brought Kara in was harsh (Kryptonite tags), but understandable given his trust issues. I was also most impressed with how much they did'nt hold back on the man-on-woman violence in the action sequences with Kara getting her tail kicked and vice versa for the Roz prisoner. Top notch stuff
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #114
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
This "Jimmy Olsen" is just the worst kind of stunt casting, though. I mean all the way through to having a completely different personality, it's pretty clearly "Jimmy" in name only.
Well at least this is actually Jimmy instead of the fake Jimmy we got in Smallville. :/

Spoiler:
Incidentally in Supergirl he prefers to be called James as Jimmy is his "special" nickname for Superman only. Supergirl's Jimmy Olsen is much older. He's a pulitzer prize winning photographer now. Superman's been about for about 20 years.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #115
THGhost
Puppet Master

I watched the leaked pilot the other night and I enjoyed it. I'll admit right now that I know absolutely nothing about Supergirl other than the fact that she's Superman's cousin.

I also know very little about The Flash or Green Arrow but still enjoy their shows, so I think I'll be fine with Supergirl too.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #116
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

So far so good....aside for from Baby Kal's goofy spit-curl.

Spoiler:
So.....Dean Cain and Helen Slater are Kara's human parents in this, eh? They took the "Lets make the former star the parent" thing and doubled down on it, didn't they?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 05-25-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #117
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I watched the leaked pilot the other night and I enjoyed it. I'll admit right now that I know absolutely nothing about Supergirl other than the fact that she's Superman's cousin.

I also know very little about The Flash or Green Arrow but still enjoy their shows, so I think I'll be fine with Supergirl too.
you never seen the Supergirl movie?
Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #118
Leo656
The Franchise

Most people haven't. And God Bless 'Em.

Naaaaaaah, it wasn't that bad. Well, nah, it was, but Helen Slater was good IN it.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #119
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Most people haven't. And God Bless 'Em.

Naaaaaaah, it wasn't that bad. Well, nah, it was, but Helen Slater was good IN it.
Supergirl: The Movie....still better than Superman 3 and 4....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #120
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno about all that. It's better than *parts* of them. But the bad acting in those two was still loads better than the bad acting in Supergirl.

On one side, you have a couple flicks with bad scripts and SFX, but a cast of (mostly) pros doing their best to hold it together, even if it didn't work. On the other side, nobody involved in Supergirl really gave much of a sh*t except Slater, who was too inexperienced to really make any difference past her own contributions, many of which were trimmed down so the hammy villain-ess could have more campy scenes.

They're all pretty skippable, though.