The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #21
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just read the FCBD Dead No More prelude, nothing much to write home about, Slott's writing Gwen like she were a generic henchwoman of the man in red that's been making cameos in the current volume of ASM. I joked she and him were the new Rita Repulsa and Lord Zedd.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #22
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There were a lot of contributing factors to Gwen's death. Hell, the original plan at the time wasn't even to kill Gwen, but Aunt May. It was John Romita that suggested they bump someone else off.

At the time, Stan was intending to marry Peter off to Gwen, but the creative teams weren't keen on the idea, and believed Mary Jane was a more viable candidate for a love interest. Stan gave his blessing to kill her off to make Spidey comics more interesting. It was due to the backlash over Gwen's death that we got the first Clone Saga as a compromise, which did'nt amount to anything other than allow Peter to choose MJ over Gwen. Later, Stan and Jim Shooter made the decision to marry Peter off to MJ, which led to 20 years of problems on the end of the Spider-Offices, but 20 glorious years for fans (well, ok, 1999-2001 sucked for marriage fans, but everything up to 2007, was pretty rosey, and there was also the Spider-Girl books from 1998-2010 providing great stability for the pair as well as a lasting legacy)

Unfortunately, we live in an age now where most of the fans running the title and newcomer fans are die-hard Gwen fanboys, that's evident with the over saturation of the character in the market with the insane Gwen variants where she's the Hulk, or Doctor Strange, or Gwenpool, or even Brian Micheal Bendis (I s*it you not, there's a "Brian Micheal Gwendis" variant), you add in the impact of Emma Stone's performance as Gwen in the ASM movies and the Spider-Gwen title and suddenly there's an awful lot of demand for the wrongs of the 70s to be righted and for Peter's "one twu luv" to be re-established, especially now that Marvel have phased out Peter's relationship with MJ pretty much completely vis devil magic and OOC writing (although the newspaper strip has remained pretty defiant so far and has kept the two married for 29 years)
uhg! this is depressing!!!

oh well! i used to really like Spider-man comics once upon a time!

"face it tiger. you just hit a brick wall."
Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #23
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
"face it tiger. you just hit a brick wall."
The number of times that's actually happened to the newspaper strip version of Spider-Man is staggering.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

The latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man shows some things which I would argue definitely bait the end of One More Day.

Will they actually do it? Probably not but I definitely think they want fans to think that's were Dead No More is heading.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The latest issue of Amazing Spider-Man shows some things which I would argue definitely bait the end of One More Day.

Will they actually do it? Probably not but I definitely think they want fans to think that's were Dead No More is heading.
I agree, they're having a ball making it out like they'll reverse it ten years later (Mephisto even showed up in Spider-Man/Deadpool and told Peter he was responsible for his "ultimate fall"), but I don't think they will, or if they do, it won't lead to a total reversal of OMD seeing as they're still writing MJ pretty badly and she's still giving Peter an uncharacteristic cold shoulder for the events of Superior. On top of that, Bendis still has plans for her in Iron Man.

It's funny, because in this issue she's criticising Peter for having a secret i.d, but in the newspaper strip yesterday she was impressed that he kept a secret I.D under pressure. Of course, in the strip she and Peter are still married and loyal to each other so acting in-character there is no surprise.

I can see Peter finally letting go of Aunt May, and acknowledging that maybe the deal for Mephisto was for nothing.

Another rumor I've heard is that they are going to reveal Gwen Stacy never actually died (nor did she sleep with Norman Osborn)
Old 06-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #28
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Everything '90s is new again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

CBR have another OMD article up, trying to connect the dots between Spider-Man/Deadpool, and the events of Power Play in Amazing Spider-Man thus far.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ing-spider-man

Comic Book Legends: Clone Saga Special

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...-revealed-580/
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #30
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So while Power Play ends with more b.s keeping Peter and MJ apart (with MJ's latest excuse now being "Peter spent too much time in the costume", not "superheroics ruined my life"), there were a couple of interesting things to point out

1. While battling Regent, MJ and Peter become vaguely aware of the events of 2015's pro-marriage story Renew Your Vows, where they also fought Regent alongside their daughter. This should not make sense because those versions of Peter and MJ were from another reality that was assimilated into Battleworld, with 616 MJ destroyed in an incursion and 616 Peter a life raft survivor...so either Peter and MJ can "sense" other versions of themselves, or both 616 and RYV versions merged. If the latter is true, what became of Annie May?

2. Turns out Jay Jameson is coughing up blood and not May, I presume he's the one to die in The Clone Conspiracy (probably in the annual), prompting Uncle Ben back into a grieving May's life.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-07-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #31
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Clone Conspiracy Checklist

There will also be a special back-up story in the first issue of Clone Conspiracy illustrated by Spider-Girl's Ron Frenz

Quote:
Lowe announced that in “The Clone Conspiracy” #1 there will be a special back-up story starring Gwen Stacy. “You are going to see a back-up story drawn by legendary Spider-Man artist Ron Frenz, that is going to re-open a big part of Spider-Man’s history,” Slott disclosed. “It’ll show you something that’s been hinted at, but never seen before. And it’s a lot about Gwen.”
I'm calling it, the real Gwen never died did she? The one that died/had Norman's kids was a clone wasn't she?

Quote:
Another question from Newsarama: Is there anyone in Spider-Man’s life that he may not realize is already a clone? “Maaaaybe,” Slott said, deliberately evasively.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #32
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Can we just call this Send In the Clones? How many do we HAVE now?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #33
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The FOX Spider-Man series finale had the best title: "I really hate Clones"

Ron Frenz confirmed on SG's message boards that Sins Past isn't referenced in the plot outline he was given for his back-up story, and if it had, he wouldn't have illustrated it.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Clone Conspiracy is underperforming in orders, which has forced Dan Slott to start begging retailers, as well as actually acknowledge Marvel are at fault for the way they marketed it

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/...ne-conspiracy/

(Far likelier reason? Retailers saw the word "clone" and scampered up the hills)
Old 09-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #35
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Clone Conspiracy is underperforming in orders, which has forced Dan Slott to start begging retailers, as well as actually acknowledge Marvel are at fault for the way they marketed it

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/...ne-conspiracy/

(Far likelier reason? Retailers saw the word "clone" and scampered up the hills)
I don't quite get Slott's beef. Don't the stores order based on supply and demand? If they're not ordering that much, wouldn't it suggest that maybe they don't need to stock that many of these comics, not that they misunderstand that Clone Conspiracy is ASM under a different name? Interesting that he assumes that they're "under-ordering" because they don't understand what he's doing, not that the comic(s) may not be selling that well.

(Has there ever been a good Clone Saga? Besides the Ultimate one? I though Slott said he chose to write his own Clone installment on the grounds that taking an awful story and letting readers wonder how you could pull it off was one way to write a good -- or at least selling -- comic.)
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #36
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
(Has there ever been a good Clone Saga? Besides the Ultimate one? I though Slott said he chose to write his own Clone installment on the grounds that taking an awful story and letting readers wonder how you could pull it off was one way to write a good -- or at least selling -- comic.)
Spider-Girl had a Clone Saga near the end of it's run that wasn't that bad, and gave us a very underlooked addition to the Parker family in clone/symbiote "sister" April Parker, aka Mayhem.

The 2009 remake of the Clone Saga is also pretty fun, taking the best parts of the 90s Clone Saga and cutting out the filler and nonsenical parts.. Virtually nobody that was killed in the 90s Saga dies in it, and it has a much better reason why a certain character comes back from the dead.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #37
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Spider-Girl had a Clone Saga near the end of it's run that wasn't that bad, and gave us a very underlooked addition to the Parker family in clone/symbiote "sister" April Parker, aka Mayhem.
Huh.

Quote:
The 2009 remake of the Clone Saga is also pretty fun, taking the best parts of the 90s Clone Saga and cutting out the filler and nonsenical parts.. Virtually nobody that was killed in the 90s Saga dies in it, and it has a much better reason why a certain character comes back from the dead.
I read that one once. One of those things I'd kinda like a copy of, but I'm not sure the current prices are worth it.

I forget, which dead character came back in it?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #38
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I have the entire 2009 CS story saved from browsing 4Chan for it one time, I can send you a copy if you want

Quote:
I forget, which dead character came back in it?
Harry
Old 09-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #39
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I have the entire 2009 CS story saved from browsing 4Chan for it one time, I can send you a copy if you want
Would there be a legal issue, or anything?

Quote:
Harry
Oh. I though the '09 CS assumed that he had faked his death.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #40
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Would there be a legal issue, or anything?
It'd just be a case of sharing the scans it via PM, but if you're uncomfortable, that's ok