The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #41
pferreira
Foot Elite

- Fans who fail to see good things in each iteration of a TMNT iteration however small

- 'Fans' who bully other fans on forums

- People like neatoman obviously

- Fans needing Leo and Raph to have a fight to legitimise a TMNT iteration

- Fans who think the FW series shouldn't be discussed because it was made for 'five year olds'.

- Needing the Turtles to murder people to show they're for adults (when they're not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Imagine how f*cking weird the world would be without the internet. Literally all of pop culture would be different.
Every time my dad sees a news report on how social media has led to a bullied person killing themselves he says they should ban social media. I think he's correct.

Last edited by pferreira; 06-03-2019 at 01:24 PM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 AM   #42
sleeplessknight
Thug

I get annoyed when casual fans get confused when they see anyone other than Raphael wearing a red bandana because they're not familiar with the original Mirage comics.

Rather I'm more annoyed at having to explain it to them.
sleeplessknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #43
Skinrash
Thug

People who roleplay on discussion forums. Become a cosplayer or join a local theater group if you wanna pretend to be someone else.
Skinrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #44
snake
Disgusting

Unpopular opinion: the FW series is 100% garbage and anyone who takes it seriously is part of the problem. The entire reason the TMNT property is in such a sh*tty spot right now is because of that f*cking cartoon.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Unpopular opinion: the FW series is 100% garbage and anyone who takes it seriously is part of the problem. The entire reason the TMNT property is in such a sh*tty spot right now is because of that f*cking cartoon.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #46
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The thing that is truly garbage is the limited perspective and understanding of those who try to use it as a template for everything TMNT should be afterward. I really doubt the FW series set out to destroy everything and is just a show of its time period. Heck, even it tried to get a bit more serious late in its run, but they disregard that part.

It's these idiots trying to recreate Turtlemania with similar angles, in an age where kids have too much competing for their attention and less reason to ever care as much as kids of the 80s and early 90s did, and ignoring that the larger majority of the fans whose attention they could be taking advantage of are not age 5 and may want different things out of it now.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #47
snake
Disgusting

Oh, the OT by itself is harmless. It’s a terrible show, but it’s existence is understandable and necessary. The constant insertion of OT elements and pandering in future incarnations is what’s demeaning the franchise.

OOTS sealed the fate of the TMNT ever having serious presence as a property and closed more doors to mature storytelling than ever before. The first movie was disliked by everyone and received tons of backlash? Oh, they must’ve wanted it to be more like the cartoon! See, we have Krang! We have Bebop and Rocksteady! The Technodrome! We’re fans too! This is everything you wanted, right?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #48
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I see what you're saying. And kind of an insult to viewer intelligence, waving that stuff in front of people.

While I don't mind a little nostalgia thrown in, I do very much agree in terms of going overboard on it like that and being in your face about it as an obvious attempted cash grab. If the next does happen, I hope it sticks to subtle Easter Eggs at most, if at all.

And while seeing B&R and Krang in live action is neat, they were kind of wasted anyhow, esp Krang. Though since it's now been done it may no longer be as tempting to a future studio to try to tackle them since it won't be a "new" thing to try to do. So maybe the PD mess getting some of it out of the way will prove to be not so bad someday.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #49
snake
Disgusting

Nah, studios will just double down in the next film, assuming the reason why OOTS did so poorly was because it wasn't an exact 1:1 live action adaptation. Expect a "quirky" movie set in the 80s that's essentially just the OT but live action.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #50
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Unpopular Opinion: I think any fan who badmouths the FW 'toon on a forum that started out as a love letter to it are nowhere near as big clever or radical as they like to think they are. They think they're saying something new, relevant to today's issues with the franchise, but they're not, and don't have a realistic view of how much of a legacy it has in pop culture

That cartoon is this franchise's only truly enduring legacy. Elements from it have long since informed the franchise's cultural identity, it's hardwired into every reboot's DNA. Remove it and all you have is some pseudo-intellectual Daredevil rip-off for edgelords.

Frankly, whenever some envious fan cheerleads Ice Cream Kitty or something equally ludicrous from the (IMO) 200% SH*TE Nick cartoon, I often question just when it's convenient for those pots to label their kettles black.

Quote:
Nah, studios will just double down in the next film, assuming the reason why OOTS did so poorly was because it wasn't an exact 1:1 live action adaptation. Expect a "quirky" movie set in the 80s that's essentially just the OT but live action.
Awesome. Seeth away, I'll be there opening day.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #51
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
All fandoms/fanbases have their issues. What annoys you about TMNT's?

Using the FW series as the golden standard of TMNT: We all know very well by now that a huge portion of TMNT fans think everything TMNT has to be like the FW toon and they consider it the definitive version of TMNT.

The low standards of a big portion of the fandom: It's like a lot of TMNT fans will just accept anything, no matter how bad it might be, just because it has the TMNT label slapped on it. Like the Bay films, for example. They might have gotten a lot of backlash online but clearly a lot of people paid to watch those movies and some people in these forums actually admitted to watch them at the cinema SEVERAL TIMES.

What about you about the TMNT fandom?
this right here. I get the love for the original show but damn it's very annoying that as far as main stream goes it's considered the end all be all by people who never looked beyond it. It's so frustrating that pop culture on mass doesn't even see it a comic book property but rather a kids show that was very successful in its heyday.
Its equally annoying that some fans seem more than happy to take whatever bones they're thrown out of some twisted sense of loyalty. Dont get me wrong I dont mean the people who legitimately like a thing. For instance if anybody out there actually liked the bay movies than more power to them. I'll never understand them hey taste is taste. But if you're one of the people who paid to see it multiple times and bought the bluray just because you were worried that thered never be another movie if this doesn't do well you're hurting us more than helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The thing that is truly [garbage[/B] is the limited perspective and understanding of those who try to use it as a template for everything TMNT should be afterward. I really doubt the FW series set out to destroy everything and is just a show of its time period.
you're correct. What it set out to do was make a whole lotta money off a thing that turned out to be explicable popular by milking the cash cow dry before it died. But seriously though I developed a sort of love hate relationship with the show over the years bit the older I get the more I realize you can't blame fred wolf and the gang for striking while the iron was hot. You cant blame Eastman and Liard for taking the money. You cant even blame the people who hold the show up as the gospel of tmnt just because it's the first thing they were exposed to. Who you absolutely should blame however are the people behind the scenes who keep referring to it as a formula for success/ cheap way to nostalgia bait people rather than going back to the ground floor and doing the hard work of trying to figure out what made these characters so enduring they haven't completed faded into obscurity after 35 years

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Unpopular Opinion: I think any fan who badmouths the FW 'toon on a forum that started out as a love letter to it are nowhere near as big clever or radical as they like to think they are. They think they're saying something new, relevant to today's issues with the franchise, but they're not, and don't have a realistic view of how much of a legacy it has in pop culture

That cartoon is this franchise's only truly enduring legacy. Elements from it have long since informed the franchise's cultural identity, it's hardwired into every reboot's DNA. Remove it and all you have is some pseudo-intellectual Daredevil rip-off for edgelords.

Frankly, whenever some envious fan cheerleads Ice Cream Kitty or something equally ludicrous from the (IMO) 200% SH*TE Nick cartoon, I often question just when it's convenient for those pots to label their kettles black.

Awesome. Seeth away, I'll be there opening day.
Mostly though if anything bugs me about this fandom it's this right here. Turtles fans have to be the greatest example of a broken base. No matter what the conversation is or wherever you are of you give it time it'll eventually devolve into "your favorite version sucks and here's why." I know that try as I might I've been guilty of it to in the past bit I'm just beyond tired of elitist gate keeping attitudes and infighting. I dont see it ever stopping either though sad as it is

Last edited by slingtheory; 06-10-2019 at 11:35 AM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #52
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
this right here. I get the love for the original show but damn it's very annoying that as far as main stream goes it's considered the end all be all by people who never looked beyond it. It's so frustrating that pop culture on mass doesn't even see it a comic book property but rather a kids show that was very successful in its heyday.
Its equally annoying that some fans seem more than happy to take whatever bones they're thrown out of some twisted sense of loyalty. Dont get me wrong I dont mean the people who legitimately like a thing. For instance if anybody out there actually liked the bay movies than more power to them. I'll never understand them hey taste is taste. But if you're one of the people who paid to see it multiple times and bought the bluray just because you were worried that thered never be another movie if this doesn't do well you're hurting us more than helping

you're correct. What it set out to do was make a whole lotta money off a thing that turned out to be explicable popular by milking the cash cow dry before it died. But seriously though I developed a sort of love hate relationship with the show over the years bit the older I get the more I realize you can't blame fred wolf and the gang for striking while the iron was hot. You cant blame Eastman and Liard for taking the money. You cant even blame the people who hold the show up as the gospel of tmnt just because it's the first thing they were exposed to. Who you absolutely should blame however are the people behind the scenes who keep referring to it as a formula for success/ cheap way to nostalgia bait people rather than going back to the ground floor and doing the hard work of trying to figure out what made these characters so enduring they haven't completed faded into obscurity after 35 years

Mostly though if anything bugs me about this fandom it's this right here. Turtles fans have to be the greatest example of a broken base. No matter what the conversation is or wherever you are of you give it time it'll eventually devolve into "your favorite version sucks and here's why." I know that try as I might I've been guilty of it to in the past bit I'm just beyond tired of elitist gate keeping attitudes and infighting. I dont see it ever stopping either though sad as it is
I agree with slingtheory.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #53
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Really, just anyone holding that because something originated from one of the more kid oriented iterations, it is an inherently stupid and unusable idea, really bugs me. Yes, the cartoon was for kids. Objectively, it's not very well made. I still enjoyed it. And it introduced so many ideas that are just ripe for potential! Any idea, no matter how silly, can always be worked into something awesome. I'll cite IDW's use of the Fred Wolf Trio as an example. Just because it came from a version intended for children, it doesn't mean that when it shows up again they're just pandering to nostalgia. They just thought of a new way to use the charaters or concepts that serviced their story. I've always thought that the ability to pull from the toybox and make new toys out of it was one of the TMNT franchise's greatest strengths.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I'll cite IDW's use of the Fred Wolf Trio as an example. Just because it came from a version intended for children, it doesn't mean that when it shows up again they're just pandering to nostalgia.
It doesn't?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #55
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It doesn't?
I don't think so. All three were built up, fully fleshed out, and served a legitimate story function that took the story where it needed to go and took the characters to new places. I mean, if Oroku Nagi ever shows up again, will that just be pandering to Mirage nostalgia?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I don't think so. All three were built up, fully fleshed out, and served a legitimate story function that took the story where it needed to go and took the characters to new places. I mean, if Oroku Nagi ever shows up again, will that just be pandering to Mirage nostalgia?
No. "Pandering" is not possible with a character that was in the source material.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #57
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No. "Pandering" is not possible with a character that was in the source material.
Well, I respectfully disagree. I think that any indulgance of any idea can be pandering, regardless of where it came from. By the same token, I don't necessarily think that making use of ideas is pandering, regardless of where they came from. But that's just my personal point of view.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #58
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

I think it's only pandering if its obvious there only throwing the characters in to get attention and positive buzz based on an emotional response. Like with out of the shadows you can tell they didn't add all those characters and things because they had a story they were excited to tell. It was blatantly done because the first one didn't go over too well so the response was how about we just throw in everything you remember from childhood. There's a difference between creatively bankrupt people trying to manipulate you with good memories and people who just want to play with all the toys in a franchise's toybox in thier storytelling
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
Who you absolutely should blame however are the people behind the scenes who keep referring to it as a formula for success/ cheap way to nostalgia bait people rather than going back to the ground floor and doing the hard work of trying to figure out what made these characters so enduring they haven't completed faded into obscurity after 35 years
Quoted for truth. If only the makers of this stuff would pay attention.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love that old show has much as the next as many other Turtles fans, and am presently in the middle of a rewatch of the series, again, but entirely agree on it not needing to be the basis for everything and the lazy route to try to attract an audience by assuming it's the be all and end all of what people like. (And that new one pairing them up with Batman sure proved an older, not-so-FW movie can absolutely work.)

I so badly want to see the Turtles allowed to grow up a bit one of these days and be portrayed a little older now and then, and obviously that first cartoon can't really be the basis for that...
Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 AM   #60
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I so badly want to see the Turtles allowed to grow up a bit one of these days and be portrayed a little older now and then, and obviously that first cartoon can't really be the basis for that...
Why not? In Red Sky, they were growing up and taking things more seriously.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote