The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

In-lore explanation for voice actor changes

In the Nick cartoon during Season 3 they gave us an in-lore explanation for Leonardo's voice actor changing when Jason Biggs was fired and they replaced him with Seth Green. In the Northampton eps Leo sounded different and Casey Jones asks, "Why does he sound different?" And Don said the battle with Shredder damaged his throat.

I was surprised the Nick show gave us an in-lore explanation for Leo's voice change.

But what about the original cartoon? Don, Raph and Shredder had a few alternate voices in eps.

- For Donatello, we can say he had a cold on the those days. It makes sense, when people get colds their voices sound slightly different. So I pretend Don is "sick" in those few Season 3 eps he had an alternate voice.

- For Raphael, in the Season 3 and Euro vacation eps he had an alternate voice, I say Raph sucked up too much helium in those eps practicing a routine. In the last season he didn't sound too differently.

- As for Fred Wolf Shredder, we can say he wanted to "act more tough" which is why he sometimes sounds deeper than usual. Shredder wanted to try on his "tough guy voice" to be a more menacing villain.

Discuss.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Come on, why do you have to parody my thread?

I don't see an In-Lore reason for voice actor changes as the intention was to have their voices sound the same as the originals who were not available, unlike Red Sky which was intentionally made different from the earlier seasons when they could've continued normally.

But I do find those reasons interesting nonetheless. The one that I'd say is canon is Vernon whose voice changed as a result of his personality changing into being more selfish/cowardly.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

We will now make in-lore explanation threads for everything. I want an in-lore explanation for the bandana errors as well! Not to mention the eps where the Turtles lair furniture gets destroyed and the next ep they're all magically back like nothing happened.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We will now make in-lore explanation threads for everything. I want an in-lore explanation for the bandana errors as well! Not to mention the eps where the Turtles lair furniture gets destroyed and the next ep they're all magically back like nothing happened.
The Fred Wolf TMNT know they're a mass-market product. They constantly reference the fact it's a cartoon on TV. So you can owe any of that wild stuff to the magic of movie-making, so to speak.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

On some days, Krang was crazier than he normally is, hence he was voiced by Townsend Coleman. That day he wanted to infect the turtles with love potions was one of the worst days for his sanity.

Shredders voice changed in Red Sky since his personality become more serious and violent.

Leonardo kept himself in shape, thus his voice never changed. Michelangalo's voice was already screwed from the start, so what is there to change?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Also keep in mind that even if a character's voice actor never changed throughout the show, those characters voices could change because of their VA altering their performance.

For e.g. 80s Shredder initially speaks with a Japanese accent but drops it before the 1st season ends, most likely because he is getting used to living in America and speaking with an American Accent.

Cam Clarke's Leonardo initially has a gung-ho deep voice he uses before dropping it somewhere during season 3. In-Lore, Leonardo probably started out trying to sound tough and responsible (since he was the leader of the team), but later on became more relaxed as he knew he was doing a fine job, not shying away from showing his insecurities more often and being his normal self in general.

Similarly with Bebop and Rocksteady, they try and act tough at the beginning in order to impress Shredder and intimidate the turtles, but let loose and become more childish once they realize they'll always be shouted at by Shredder and beaten by the turtles anyway.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- For Donatello, we can say he had a cold on the those days. It makes sense, when people get colds their voices sound slightly different. So I pretend Don is "sick" in those few Season 3 eps he had an alternate voice.
So as a kid I knew it not to be true but to get my head around it I just imagined Don decided to do a Muppet impersonation because he felt like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
On some days, Krang was crazier than he normally is, hence he was voiced by Townsend Coleman. That day he wanted to infect the turtles with love potions was one of the worst days for his sanity.
Coleman's Krang voice was so bubbly and joyous that I always imagined him having a bubble bath waiting for him nearby.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

But Leo's voice changed 3 times in the Nick show, what was the other explanation?

Getting sick helps, also if the turtles were teenagers maybe they went through puberty and their voices changed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed monkeys around