Mad Scientist

why blue...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Turtle View Post
why blue...
... There is no reason behind it. It's just a name that would keep other people from reading the script due to it's lame title.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #23
zkarlette
Fashionably late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Turtle View Post
why blue...
Usually they make up weird names when they are filming to hide locations and what not.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
But if it's been done before, and done well enough in the first movie, why pay for a repeat performance?

The MIRAGE elitists have had their fun, it very well ought to be OUR turn (OT fans).
Really one movie means we've had our fun? One movie that still rides the OT line with silliness at parts. 99% of all the TMNT merch is OT and it's obvious that the new comics and this new film, most likely the new cartoon as well, are all being fueled by the OT and not the Mirage books. The OT fans have been having their fun for almost 25 years now. Mirage fans have had scraps and most of the cool stuff we were to get was canceled.

I don't care what they want to try and pull off in the film. The era of turtles I love the most has long since passed. I don't mind the OT, it's great fun, but it's far from the best stuff turtles has had to offer. I can't cling to a cartoon I loved when I was 5 years old and say I want to see it live action. We're 15+ years past that for me. I want to see a turtles movie that's intelligent and covers the over arching theme of the series as a whole. The first movie came closest to nailing it but they still cut a fair bit of it out from what I've heard.

What I don't want to see is "Cowabunga", pizza eating, bad excuses for them to wear colored masks, burp and fart jokes, and Mikey making a moron out of himself every other scene. But that's what they're clearly aiming for and that's why I doubt I'll enjoy this film unless there's a serious over haul on the script. I'm well aware that's the turtles that sells but the other could sell too if people would make the effort for it.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #25
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphroehler2003 View Post
You did...it's called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

That's not a knock, I like Turtles II as well as the first one.
Agreed.

Spitfire definitely hit the nail on the head. Agreed 100% man, although I'm a huge 2k3 Mikey fan so I don't mind Mikey acting silly.

Last edited by Donnie; 06-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

An intelligent TMNT movie? That would imply the comics are by any stretch of the imagination deep and intelligent to begin with. Reality check: There not.

The first TMNT issue is a generic, flavourless bloodbath for rednecks too cheap to read Frank Miller Daredevil. The first movie took an already dopey concept, took some traits from the cartoon and poured it into a half-way decent journeyman film which satisfies on more than one level...but unfortunatly, for you, that isnt enough, you feel TMNT should be entitled to a film that makes it look better than the sum of it's parts (probably in some vien attempt to proclaim to the world "I like TMNT" without dying of embarrasment). The day you stop living in that elitist fantasy world and start accepting TMNT for what it is in the mainstream is the day you can actually enjoy a movie based on it's more fantastical aspects.

Nobody goes to a TMNT movie to think.

Quite frankly, setting yourself up to hate the movie just because they will say "cowabunga" and have Mikey act stupid is assanine. This is how the world, and how the CREATORS, have viewed the Turtles for years, it's become part of their mythology now. Nobody cares about how they used to act in the BLAND OLD DAYS. The TMNT movie YOU want would BOMB at the Box Office. Guranteed. Kids wouldnt be able to see it, and adult fans would just find it outright BORING due to it's absurd groundedness and lack of any imaginitive quirks.

Quote:
I can't cling to a cartoon I loved when I was 5 years old and say I want to see it live action. We're 15+ years past that for me
15 years+ past, and yet what do the mainstream constantly yammer about when it comes to a TMNT movie? "Where's Krang? Where's Bebop and Rocksteady? Where's The Technodrome?", and we've yet to get them in live-action, so we havent yet had our fun where that's concerned. That experiance is needed to complete their nostalgic fanboy journey. Just because YOU and the MIRAGE minority don't want to see things from the old cartoon realized in grander ways doesnt mean you speak for the world, who DO hold on to the show for many reasons, and who DO want to see them in action.

You know why you don't get jack? The MIRAGE stuff IS NOT VERY INTERESTING. Adapting the best of it could only fill up about two seasons of the seven year 4Kids series, which sensibly chose to AVOID being exactly like it and did it's own thing. Dark and compelling at times? Yes, but it didnt forget the quirkiness and light-hearted aspects that the franchise attained during it's OT heyday. If Laird wanted to, he'd have given you your bland black-and-white dross, but he RECOGNIZED the TMNT had to maintain those elements, however slight, to appeal to the KIDS watching. KIDS are who eat this franchise up the most, NOT 30-40 year olds who hold on to the darker days of a niche comic that only told about four or five memorable stories in a sixty issue initial run

Quote:
Spitfire definitely hit the nail on the head. Agreed 100% man.
Ah shaddap.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-20-2012 at 08:24 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Xav
Foot Elite

Look I don't care if the film is a exact copy of the Mirage books or not. But I don't want the Technodrome, Krang, or Bebop and Rocksteady in the movie. The first film was the most grounded and the most sucessfull. When they started adding more mutants and fantasy elments the films did worse. BTW the first run of the Mirage books was 62 issues.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:

Ah shaddap.
Well that's not nice. I actually edited my post, I don't agree 100% - I like goofball Mikey...didn't realize he singled that out. But I'm with him in the fact that I sure as hell do not want Bebop & Rocksteady, nor do I want an OT movie adaption.

Your problem is you can't get past the fact that Turtles isn't just what the mainstream makes it out to be. TMNT at this point is such a mish-mosh of different takes (comics, cartoons, games, etc.) that to base a movie off of just one of those is asinine. I don't want a totally Mirage based movie, but I'd rather it be way more Mirage/2k3 than OT.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
But if it's been done before, and done well enough in the first movie, why pay for a repeat performance?

The MIRAGE elitists have had their fun, it very well ought to be OUR turn (OT fans).
Because that approach worked and is still seen as something integral to success of the TMNT. When it deviated from that is when the movies stopped working...I don't necessarily that's the reason why but it's a good enough reason to start with a more grounded movie.

Whether it's Triceratons and the Federation or Rock Soldiers and animal mutants I'd say keep stuff of that ilk until after you've won the audience over. A more grounded movie is much more likely to do that imo.

I certainly wouldn't call myself a Mirage elitist like say Andrew but I'd argue that fans of that version haven't had our fun when it comes to other versions at all.

Of course if people feel really strongly about how we need Fred Wolf tropes to be succesful then why not go the whole hog and make a pure live action Fred Wolf based movie like the Flintstones or Scooby Doo live action features? Obviously everyone involved knows such a movie would tank. For a movie I feel we need certain tropes that are not found in the 80s show. Where else is better to get these things than extrapolating then from the original comics were these things do exist?

That's for me is the best argument of why the movie should take its cues from the comics - because it's easier to fit that into a movie that works for todays audiences than the Fred Wolf version. That's not to say they couldn't be made to work but to do them for no other reason than to please a bunch of thirty year olds with the sense of "cool I remember them" and piss of another bunch of thirty year olds with the sense "aww they totaly ruined them" isn't a good reason to include them.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
An intelligent TMNT movie? That would imply the comics are by any stretch of the imagination deep and intelligent to begin with. Reality check: There not.
Not really. It implies there's potential. There's no shame in expanding upon the fiction in ways the original writers never thought of. And yes I'm aware the OT does this but to be honest there isn't much imagination in that series either after awhile.

Quote:
The first TMNT issue is a generic, flavourless bloodbath for rednecks too cheap to read Frank Miller Daredevil.
Rednecks? What are you talking about? And of course it's like Daredevil that's what it was a parody of.

Quote:
The first movie took an already dopey concept, took some traits from the cartoon and poured it into a half-way decent journeyman film which satisfies on more than one level...but unfortunatly, for you, that isnt enough, you feel TMNT should be entitled to a film that makes it look better than the sum of it's parts (probably in some vien attempt to proclaim to the world "I like TMNT" without dying of embarrasment).
Yes because a film that takes a good concept and makes it even better is a stupid thing to expect when it can be done. It wouldn't take much. It's all in the writing and Eastman and Laird already wrote the stories they just need to be reconstructed properly. And I don't know maybe you get made fun of for liking Turtles but I've never once in my entire 24 years on this planet had someone give me crap for being a turtles fan. I've got nothing but compliments for it and I don't hide it either. You seem to think Turtles is like Magic The Gathering or something.

Quote:
The day you stop living in that elitist fantasy world and start accepting TMNT for what it is in the mainstream is the day you can actually enjoy a movie based on it's more fantastical aspects.
What the mainstream thinks is what they're told to think. If you tell them Batman runs around with giant bombs and uses shark repellent they will think he does. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a different kind of turtles film. The argument that it wouldn't sell because people are attached to an old cartoon most of them don't even remember more then the fact that they watched it is pretty invalid.

Quote:
Nobody goes to a TMNT movie to think.
Maybe not but action films don't have to be mindless. I'd gladly think in a turtles movie, or a batman film, or Spider-man.

Quote:
Quite frankly, setting yourself up to hate the movie just because they will say "cowabunga" and have Mikey act stupid is assanine. This is how the world, and how the CREATORS, have viewed the Turtles for years, it's become part of their mythology now.
Those are a few examples, I don't feel like listing them all. The creators? Really? This would be the same creators that kind of ignore the OT because it's not really what they had in mind right?

Quote:
Nobody cares about how they used to act in the BLAND OLD DAYS. The TMNT movie YOU want would BOMB at the Box Office. Guranteed. Kids wouldnt be able to see it, and adult fans would just find it outright BORING due to it's absurd groundedness and lack of any imaginitive quirks.
No you don't care about those days and therefore assume the rest of the world doesn't. If no one cared IDW wouldn't still be releasing Mirage collections because they wouldn't be selling. You assume to know every possible way the kind of turtles film I'm talking about could be made and the exact outcome. Let me know where you gained your ability to read minds and foresee the future. Comic book films are in right now and adapting the turtles comic would grab attention. If it's well made it could blow people away. Batman broke it's silly Adam West series public perception with the Tim Burton film, it wouldn't be hard for turtles to do it.

Quote:
15 years+ past, and yet what do the mainstream constantly yammer about when it comes to a TMNT movie? "Where's Krang? Where's Bebop and Rocksteady? Where's The Technodrome?", and we've yet to get them in live-action, so we havent yet had our fun where that's concerned.
So live action is all that matters? Let's just ignore everything else?

Quote:
That experiance is needed to complete their nostalgic fanboy journey. Just because YOU and the MIRAGE minority don't want to see things from the old cartoon realized in grander ways doesnt mean you speak for the world, who DO hold on to the show for many reasons, and who DO want to see them in action.
Yeah well the same logic could be applied to you. The amount of actual OT fanboys is about the same as Mirage fanboys. Average people who buy a turtles wallet are not fanboys, they're average people who don't give a crap about the stuff we're talking about. If the OT was so cherished by the entire world as you put it then the DVD sales would be a lot stronger. Stop pretending the OT is Loony Toons. It's not some cartoon classic. It was never even re-aired.

Quote:
You know why you don't get jack? The MIRAGE stuff IS NOT VERY INTERESTING.
The concept behind it is very interesting and there's been plenty of well written stories in the universe. Certainly more interesting then the turtles fighting the same 4 bad guys every episode. When they need a new bad guy they make up some silly mobster or mad scientist. Most of the OT is pretty damn forgettable. Most people only fondly remember the first two seasons.

Quote:
Adapting the best of it could only fill up about two seasons of the seven year 4Kids series, which sensibly chose to AVOID being exactly like it and did it's own thing. Dark and compelling at times? Yes, but it didnt forget the quirkiness and light-hearted aspects that the franchise attained during it's OT heyday. If Laird wanted to, he'd have given you your bland black-and-white dross, but he RECOGNIZED the TMNT had to maintain those elements, however slight, to appeal to the KIDS watching. KIDS are who eat this franchise up the most, NOT 30-40 year olds who hold on to the darker days of a niche comic that only told about four or five memorable stories in a sixty issue initial run
Laird had some say in the episodes but reading his blog makes it clear that not all his ideas we're used. In fact a good amount weren't. Your blind fanboy rage against the comics is odd to me, like they called your mother a whore or something. I really don't get how you could completely loath an entire portion of the franchise to the point where you assume everything from it is garbage. Makes me question how much of it you've really read.

And yeah the franchise could be for kids but it could be for adults too. Only kids wanted to see Transformers, I didn't know any adults who wanted to see it. I mean seriously. You could say that about anything. In the end what matters is how it's made. If it's made well enough people will eat it up and I know for a fact there's plenty of people who would like a more "adult" turtles film. Maybe you're some jaded 40 year old nerd but us younger guys and gals who grew up with the turtles don't see an issue with our favorite childhood series growing up too.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 AM   #31
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Look I don't care if the film is a exact copy of the Mirage books or not. But I don't want the Technodrome, Krang, or Bebop and Rocksteady in the movie. The first film was the most grounded and the most sucessfull. When they started adding more mutants and fantasy elments the films did worse.
Turtles II is pretty well loved actually. Turtles III is the sole stinker.

TMNT is "fashionably disliked" by a few idiots, but that film is very entertaining too, and that had fantastical elements in it.

Why shouldnt we get Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady and The Technodrome in this movie? It's about f*cking time they did, so far I havent heard ONE really convincing reason as to why they shouldnt be in it. I just get laughable shlock like "the movie has to be GROUNDED"

To HELL with "groundedness", the TMNT concept is f*cking stupid enough as it is, just go nuts with it and stop being so particular about what should and shouldnt be in a damn COMIC BOOK MOVIE. If The Avengers can afford aliens and make a box office killing with it, TMNT can afford Dimension X. Period.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-21-2012 at 04:35 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #32
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Turtles II is pretty well loved actually. Turtles III is the sole stinker.
I don't agree - I think Turtles III is rather enjoyable, just as enjoyable as TMNT was.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #33
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Why shouldnt we get Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady and The Technodrome in this movie? It's about f*cking time they did, so far I havent heard ONE really convincing reason as to why they shouldnt be in it. I just get laughable shlock like "the movie has to be GROUNDED"

To HELL with "groundedness", the TMNT concept is f*cking stupid enough as it is, just go nuts with it and stop being so particular about what should and shouldnt be in a damn COMIC BOOK MOVIE. If The Avengers can afford aliens and make a box office killing with it, TMNT can afford Dimension X. Period.
Depending on how they were used, I guess it could work. But it comes down to the fact that adapting that into a competent PG-13 action movie, it would make those characters and concepts too "epic."

The Avengers is a poor comparison here. They are Earth's Mightiest Heroes, they work for a government agency and were all established crime fighters on their own before they became a group.

With the TMNT, they're not heroes in the traditional sense, so having them out in the streets fighting off Rock Soldiers and The Technodrome is just too much. The conflict in a Turtles movie has to be more personal, and less of a "save the world" type of thing. The turtles hide from the world above, which is why it works best when they fight ninja clans and stuff like that.

Then again, I don't write scripts for Hollywood. Maybe there's a way it could work.

And maybe you think the movie should be a straight up comedy like the OT was. If that's the case, feel free to watch the 193 episodes it left behind.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #34
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
With the TMNT, they're not heroes in the traditional sense, so having them out in the streets fighting off Rock Soldiers and The Technodrome is just too much. The conflict in a Turtles movie has to be more personal, and less of a "save the world" type of thing. The turtles hide from the world above, which is why it works best when they fight ninja clans and stuff like that.
So this. Some of the worst episodes of 2K3 had them fighting aliens.

As for Avengers well it's based off one of those comic thingies you seem to hate so much called the Ultimates. It had aliens, it had Loki working with them, and it had the team bickering and fighting one another.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #35
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Because they weren't in the original comics, and this movie was promised to be based off of them. Plus those characters aren't very great to begin with. Why does Shredder need moronic henchmen who always screw up his plans, or why does he need to take orders from a burping brain? Yeah, they may have been fun when we were kids, but I've outgrown them.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
Bob
Stone Warrior

Now he says he'll only post a review once he gets 10k followers. Pretty weak. I suggest we all follow him if we've got Twitter accounts.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
Mr.Turtle
Mad Scientist

let's put this thing straight: movie1>movie2>movie3.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #38
Powder
So tired of this place

For once, I agree.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #39
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Wonder how much different a live action movie technodrome would look like. Cause a Fred Wolf inspired movie could work just fine.

But the Technodorme got a very silly and goofy design, and Hollywood usually ain't forgiving when it comes to silly. Live-Action Galactus comes to mind....
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #40
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

But the Technodorme got a very silly and goofy design, and Hollywood usually ain't forgiving when it comes to silly. Live-Action Galactus comes to mind....
I think they'd be severely numb to today's movie industry to think they could get away with making a giant metal ball on wheels with the Eye of Sauron on top a serious threat.

Tags
cancelled media, depressing, gay, lol, old news, scripts