The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #181
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I can always count on you to be the realist

Marvel are reprinting Kraven's Last Hunt next year as part of their Essentials line, Amazon lists it as coming out a few weeks before Spider-Man: Homecoming, and they're going to bundle it with ASM Annuals 20 and 21, which means they're reprinting Peter and MJ's wedding again. Hmm....

Also, it's Halloween, which means it's been twenty years real time since the death of Ben Reily, Norman Osborn's return, and, depending on your interpretation, the miscarriage/abduction of Mayday Parker
The Essential Spider-Man stopped at 252. 'Kraven's Last Hunt' was in 292-293 so that is still forty issues away. It would take two volumes. Is there a date for volume 12 give starting with #253? It would reasonably stop at about #276 and then the second proposal and 'Kraven's Last Hunt' would be covered in volume 13 in say #276-297. I have all of the Essentials so I am interested in knowing which issues are covered and when the next volume FINALLY comes out.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #182
ZariusTwo
Overlord

My apologies, it wasn't Essentials after all, it was the Epic collection

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1302907050?pldnSite=1
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #183
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I can always count on you to be the realist
I do try to balance optimism with realism. Also, even if it isn't the "real" 616 Spider-Man, if the characterizations are correct, then the comic succeeded at the important part.

Quote:
Marvel are reprinting Kraven's Last Hunt next year as part of their Essentials line, Amazon lists it as coming out a few weeks before Spider-Man: Homecoming, and they're going to bundle it with ASM Annuals 20 and 21, which means they're reprinting Peter and MJ's wedding again. Hmm....
Interesting to hear. Maybe I should pick that up when the price drops more (or get it used or something), esp. if it's consistent with the RYV timeline.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #184
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

You got me excited! I thought we were finally getting the 12th volume. We have been stuck on 252 for quite some time. I knew it would take two volumes to get to the story in question. Starting at #289 with an arc already in progress is an odd choice. That ends the Gang War which was the follow up to the famous Daredevil arc and had Leeds killed off by Jack O'Lantern. Its cool to see this I just prefer Marvel finish something t started.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #185
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
I do try to balance optimism with realism. Also, even if it isn't the "real" 616 Spider-Man, if the characterizations are correct, then the comic succeeded at the important part.

Interesting to hear. Maybe I should pick that up when the price drops more (or get it used or something), esp. if it's consistent with the RYV timeline.
I'm wondering that, since RYV will probably still be running by the time we reach the summer of 2017, we might then get a flashback story to how Annie came about and get a distinct timeline placement for her, since Conway says everything up to BND happened, I wonder if Kraven remained dead and did'nt come back via Grim Hunt then? (although we've already seen one version of Kraven be tackled by Annie in the original RYV series)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #186
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I'm wondering that, since RYV will probably still be running by the time we reach the summer of 2017, we might then get a flashback story to how Annie came about...
That could be fun.

Quote:
...and get a distinct timeline placement for her, since Conway says everything up to BND happened...
In the interviews, they've been consistent on the points that Annie is eight, but Peter and MJ have been married for ten years. Even if that's just an estimate, that would mean that many of the pre-OMD/BND stories would've unfolded in a time when the Parkers were parents, something that wasn't the case in the original stories.

That would mean that there are already differences (since, if I understand correctly, the stories between the marriage and OMD unfold over more than two years). So, either Conway meant that the RYV backstory was loosely based on the pre-OMD Spider-Man comics or the timeframe is becoming extremely compressed. Or it could just be plain wrong. The original RYV story was advertised as taking place at the end of the pre-OMD comics, as the alternative path, and of course, that didn't turn out to be the case.

Quote:
I wonder if Kraven remained dead and did'nt come back via Grim Hunt then? (although we've already seen one version of Kraven be tackled by Annie in the original RYV series)
That question probably won't be answered unless Kraven actually appears or we know exactly how RYV relates to its parent miniseries.

I think its safe to say that "Kraven's Last Hunt" never happened in the original RYV series timeline. The story took place very shortly after Peter and MJ's marriage, but the point when the RYV universe was sucked into Battleworld seems to be after the "...Last Hunt" timeframe, esp. if Conway's decree that Annie was born two years after the marriage; Battleworld lasted for eight years, which means Annie was born around the time of the formation. Besides, there's no mention of Kraven dying and being resurrected in RYV, nor does he know Spider-Man's real identity, which you'd thing would happen if "...Last Hunt" existed here.

Now, is Slott's RYV an altered timeline of Conway's RYV in-story? If so, I think it's safe to say that Kraven has the same history and is alive and well. If it's not and the new series is a hard reboot (which could be the case, given that all the details mention taking liberties with the original RYV comic), then its up to Conway which way he wants to slide things. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm guessing that Conway will want Kraven to live and choose to do it by having "...Last Hunt" not happen. Having the character alive means more storytelling possibilities and it's easier to just say: "He never died in this reality" than coming up with an explanation to resurrect him to tie into a comic story that the readers may or may not know.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:20 AM   #187
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
That could be fun.

In the interviews, they've been consistent on the points that Annie is eight, but Peter and MJ have been married for ten years. Even if that's just an estimate, that would mean that many of the pre-OMD/BND stories would've unfolded in a time when the Parkers were parents, something that wasn't the case in the original stories.
Perhaps we should look to Marvel's current official stance on Peter and MJ in 616 for a clue. They're on the record that, in 616 Peter and MJ lived together for five years, half of the ten years they spend together in RYV, which meant a lot of compression went on as you suggest. The pregnancy may or may not be canon anymore because of how convoluted OMD and it's sequel OMIT were, but I've seen it speculated the pregnancy happened probably a year or so into the marriage.

Now, it's still not clear if Annie is the second attempt at having a child, or has now taken the place of Mayday as the one and only child Peter and MJ had in the 1990s, and caring for her thus would take up the majority of those years Peter and MJ spent together, if not a bit more. I still like to think she's the second child, but that would mean MJ would have had to become pregnant awfully quickly after losing the first one, and they'd have to retcon Civil War's ending (where it was speculated MJ became pregnant shortly after going on the run with Peter), as taking place just a few months after the first miscarriage.

Not exactly a lot of space, but then, sliding timescales are a bother, a Roger Stern story from the BND era once went out of it's way to say "Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaught" , a near two decade old story, happened "months ago" rather than years ago.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-01-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #188
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Perhaps we should look to Marvel's current official stance on Peter and MJ in 616 for a clue. They're on the record that, in 616 Peter and MJ lived together for five years, half of the ten years they spend together in RYV, which meant a lot of compression went on as you suggest.
So, unless it gets retconned into being a couple years instead, most of the '90s run would overlap with Annie's childhood? Maybe they'll do the same thingthat OMD did with those comics: "The stories happened, but the Parkers were actually parents at the time, so pretend that that's the case when reading them"? However, I think it would be simpler to compress the five years into two years or to just decide that this is not a continuation of the pre-OMD continuity.

Quote:
The pregnancy may or may not be canon anymore because of how convoluted OMD and it's sequel OMIT were, but I've seen it speculated the pregnancy happened probably a year or so into the marriage.
If that's right, Annie could be very well the second kid. The original RYV makes no mention of the Parkers having lost a child before, so I'd be a little surprised if Mayday existed in that story, but if RYV the series plays fast and loose with the original, that may not be a factor.

Quote:
Now, it's still not clear if Annie is the second attempt at having a child, or has now taken the place of Mayday as the one and only child Peter and MJ had in the 1990s, and caring for her thus would take up the majority of those years Peter and MJ spent together, if not a bit more. I still like to think she's the second child, but that would mean MJ would have had to become pregnant awfully quickly after losing the first one, and they'd have to retcon Civil War's ending (where it was speculated MJ became pregnant shortly after going on the run with Peter), as taking place just a few months after the first miscarriage.
Assuming that Annie is an only child would be a simpler setup. My theory is that they'll either do that or not go too deep in the past. Also, given that the releases seem to suggest that the Parkers are not on the run and have secret identities, I wonder if most of Civil War will either be retconned or no longer exist. After all, Civil War was a stepping stone to OMD, which never happened here.

Quote:
Not exactly a lot of space, but then, sliding timescales are a bother, a Roger Stern story from the BND era once went out of it's way to say "Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaught" , a near two decade old story, happened "months ago" rather than years ago.
I've gathered that you're not supposed to look to closely at the sliding timescale, since it's impossible to cover every single base. That example makes very little sense to me.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #189
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
given that the releases seem to suggest that the Parkers are not on the run and have secret identities, I wonder if most of Civil War will either be retconned or no longer exist. After all, Civil War was a stepping stone to OMD, which never happened here.
I'm sure we've talked about this before in the thread, but it's entirely plausible that the methods Peter used to make people forget who he was (seen in OMIT) were still used. If they were, then the "psychic blindspot" may still have a lasting effect, since we don't know if "Spider-Island" happened in this timeline (in that story, Doctor Strange's psychic spell that prevented people from working out Peter's identity was broken, so people can learn who he is again and retain the knowledge)

Conway said certain events from 616 went a different route, so there's evidence to suggest Civil War might be among those altered events..and yet Aunt May remains conspicuous by her absence. The original RYV series revealed she died, but was not clear on the cause of death. The photographs glimpsed in the first issue of the original series reveal that she was around when MJ was pregnant, but she passed on very early in Annie's life.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #190
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The first issue of ASM: Renew Your Vows will feature two back-up stories, one of which is a short helmed by Kate Leth ("Hellcat") and Marguerite Sauvage (DC's Bombshells, Scarlet Witch), their story will see Mary Jane (still wearing her original Regent armor from the Slott-penned RYV series) and Annie battle The Rhino

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-mary-ja...ur-vows-story/
Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #191
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I'm sure we've talked about this before in the thread, but it's entirely plausible that the methods Peter used to make people forget who he was (seen in OMIT) were still used. If they were, then the "psychic blindspot" may still have a lasting effect, since we don't know if "Spider-Island" happened in this timeline (in that story, Doctor Strange's psychic spell that prevented people from working out Peter's identity was broken, so people can learn who he is again and retain the knowledge)
I think you're right about this coming up before. Guess we'll have to wait and see when the comic comes out and they start addressing the past as to what still happened and what went a different path.

Quote:
Conway said certain events from 616 went a different route, so there's evidence to suggest Civil War might be among those altered events..and yet Aunt May remains conspicuous by her absence. The original RYV series revealed she died, but was not clear on the cause of death. The photographs glimpsed in the first issue of the original series reveal that she was around when MJ was pregnant, but she passed on very early in Annie's life.
Could being a parent have influenced Spider-Man's actions during Civil War (like not joining in period), or something?

I'm not good with 616 dates. If Aunt May passed away around the time that Annie was born (or within a few years thereafter), would that be more or less concurrent with the original attempt to write her passing in 616 that was later retconned to be an imposter?

Meaning, is it possible that in this series, Aunt May's first death story was used as was without the retcon, like it was in Spider-Girl? Would the timelines match?

Quote:
The first issue of ASM: Renew Your Vows will feature two back-up stories, one of which is a short helmed by Kate Leth ("Hellcat") and Marguerite Sauvage (DC's Bombshells, Scarlet Witch), their story will see Mary Jane (still wearing her original Regent armor from the Slott-penned RYV series) and Annie battle The Rhino

http://cbr1.imgix.net/wp-content/upl...1/01-ink-1.jpg

http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-mary-ja...ur-vows-story/
Yay! The mom/daughter interactions between MJ and Annie were a highlight of the original story, so I'm all in favor of revisiting that. Nice to see the original comics' battle armor come back, too.

(Do back-up stories make it into the trade paperbacks?)
Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 AM   #192
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
(Do back-up stories make it into the trade paperbacks?)
The trade for the original RYV series came with a back-up story from Spider-Verse that introduced the RYV Peter, so I expect so.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #195
ZariusTwo
Overlord

New preview pages from Renew Your Vows

http://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-ma...your-vows-1-3/

God it feels so good to get a more authentic-sounding Peter and MJ again. Conway nails it here.

...And the poster on Annie's wall there depicts Carol Danvers as she looks currently, so this is definitely an alternative present rather than an 80s/90s-style "throwback" universe that the Battleworld version of RYV was set in
Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #196
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
New preview pages from Renew Your Vows

http://cbr0.imgix.net/wp-content/upl...-int-LR2-3.jpg

http://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-ma...your-vows-1-3/

God it feels so good to get a more authentic-sounding Peter and MJ again. Conway nails it here.

...And the poster on Annie's wall there depicts Carol Danvers as she looks currently, so this is definitely an alternative present rather than an 80s/90s-style "throwback" universe that the Battleworld version of RYV was set in
Like the writing and the artwork/coloring. (I actually thought that the Secret Wars RYV series started in a '90s-style time period in issue one but then shifted to the present for the main story -- albeit a present in which Regent had made and standardized a lot of future tech. I could be wrong, though.)

Interesting that it looks like Annie's name has been slightly changed for this series. The original implied that "Annie" was actually her first name, with May being her middle name. Here though, her parents call her "Anna-May," implying that she has a double moniker like her mom (except hyphenated), and "Annie" is just a nickname.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #198
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Today's the day!

Divided We Stand variant for RYV is pretty interesting

Campbell is working on another variant for RYV

Old 11-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #199
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Holy hannah, that was fun!

Everything was on-point. The Peter/MJ interaction, the relationship with Annie, they didn't leave out Peter's genius by having him tinker with an aerial drone he can use to take photos of himself, and they took a snipe at Peter working in a lab, having this version declare it was "no fun"

The back-up strip depicting Sandman babysitting Annie was good too.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #200
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Got my copy. While it's mostly setup, it was a pretty good setup easing us back into the world and setting things up (even if I wanted more fighting with the dinosaur).

I'm really curious about the unnamed guy [spoiler]who's trying to aquire any of Regent's leftover tech[/quote]. That looks like it could be a very fun subplot.

Loved the jokes, like the running gag of Peter's lists and Jameson's quitting smoking in favor of a candy cane stick. The Parker family was written on the mark too.

The backup stories were fun, although I couldn't tell if they were supposed to be in canon with the series or not.

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns