Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
oldmanwinters
Overlord

How the 1st Film was ALMOST like Dark Knight Rises

Seriously...
Quote:
Last night, I went to the movies with my wife and daughter, and saw one of the silliest films I've seen in a while -- "The Dark Knight Rises". As I was watching it, I could not help but think back to the development period of the first live-action TMNT movie, when Kevin and I were struggling to work with the writer the studio had chosen for the project. At one point, he turned in an outline in which the bad guys -- I think they were the Shredder and the Foot -- had imprisoned all the "good people" of the city in the sewers, and the Turtles had to rescue them and release them from their subterranean prison… after which the jubilant, newly-freed citizens carried the Turtles on their shoulders through the streets of of New York City.

No, I'm not kidding.

Anyone who has seen "The Dark Knight Rises" will very likely recognize a similar -- and similarly stupid -- plot line.
http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2012/...ght-rises.html

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Found this on Feicebuhk the other day. Other than the "York" misspelling, I think it's appropriate.

Since when was Bane from a ninja clan? This flick is all whacked out.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Holy cow, Genesis, did you just come up with that or did you find it somewhere?

I love it.

View my sketch work!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Nah, if I'd come up with it, it'd have vastly improved punctuation.

Seriously, though, who doesn't want to see Bane get shredded, now that this has come up?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DKR hate is so passe.

People only do it because there butthurt it's a far more structured movie than the Avengers
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Yeah, people have no idea just how good it is. If they don't like it they are obviously complete idiots who know nothing....

Seriously, can no one ever have an opinion that differs from the assumed consensus?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Found this on Feicebuhk the other day. Other than the "York" misspelling, I think it's appropriate.

lol nice picture
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
DKR hate is so passe.

People only do it because they're butthurt it's a far more structured movie than the Avengers
lol at sneaking Avengers hate in a dismissal of Dark Knight hate.
Everyone loves irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Seriously, can no one ever have an opinion that differs from the assumed consensus?
You know the answer, already.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

hi guys!

I've seen the dark knight rises a week ago and I was actually pretty pleased with it...found that picture with shreddder and bane on fb, too, but on mine the shredder part only had these words to offer:BITCH PLEASE!....
I can understand one being annoyed with the exagerated seriousness/pathos in nolans batman movies that pete described, but that bothered me-if at all that much-more in the last batman movie than in this one....I really like what chris has done in this trilogy...

I think the overhyped seriousness(which is as stupid as it is to name it that way in my eyes) can be found in MANY superhero movies these days unfortuntelly...how glad a I that humour is in some form always been a part of tmnt...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Koi
Mad Scientist

There is a picture that looks like that one that has been recycled on Tumblr for quite awhile now, the only exception is that the shredder just says, "Bitch Please" as a response, like Marcelangelo's facebook find.

The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie, and I don't understand the hate at all.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Jayhan
Random Punk

Location: Which country is best known for chocolate and cheese? ;P
Quote:

Hahahahah. Now that I've seen this, I agree, Shredder all of a sudden seems more badass than Bane.
And I agree with some people when saying that "the Dark Knight Rises" is a fantastic movie. I do have to say, however, that Nolan had a more realistic take on the franchise, and has in some ways made it his own genre. There is definitely the lack of supernatural and mystical elements in the movie, but therefore has discreet details in it.
And, of course, Nolan tried something different with Bane, made him more gruesome, strong and cruel than ever, all points which could be the reason why he "supposedly" took over the clan (I don't remember if it was him or Talia).
Jayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Donnie
Something from the Past

I saw that photo the other day, and I was shocked that I didn't pick up on the similarities when I first saw the DKR.

DKR was all over the place story-wise, and the middle of the movie was, quite frankly, uninteresting. I didn't really care for Bane, but Shredder is the perfect villain for Turtles. So yes, Shredder over Bane, and props to whoever made the initial connection between the two. It's funny that PL caught it (I am assuming) before seeing (if he has seen it at this point) the photo caption.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Quote:
DKR hate is so passe.

People only do it because there butthurt it's a far more structured movie than the Avengers

Right...well I hate DKR and not sure what you mean by it being passe, cause everyone I've talked to (other than me, a few friends, and I guess Peter Laird) loved the movie, to the extreme of a few have given out death threats if you disagree with them.

Unlike you, I'm fine with others opinions. After stuff like what happened in Colorado, we should learn to be more like Human Beings, for crying out loud...

We can still be honest, and say "I like this" and "I don't like that"...but acting like others' opinions are beneath yours? You need to learn to grow up. It's called being Respectful.

And Sorry if I didn't like a movie that had:

*Bane sounding like a goofy Sean Connery, with his face mask looking like Reptile from Mortal Kombat
*Someone just basically punches Bruce Wayne's back once and his vertebrae is put back in place, and after a few sit-ups and push-ups his back is
A-OK...even though he later climbs up a giant wall with a rope around his waist, falls down (which would have easily snapped his back again...but somehow doesn't) and does it again and again
*Wayne getting back into Gotham...a place that you can't get back into and is blocked off...maybe he teleported there?
*When Wayne gets back, the first person he goes to is Catwoman...the one person who tricked him, trapped him with Bane, and thus someone who got his back screwed up...that's really smart
*Catwoman was useless and badly played in that movie, in my opinion
*Fight scenes that are as exciting as a tea party, even the first Ninja Turtles film had fight scenes that had more impact than the ones in this flick...
*Not one memorable action sequence, to me
*Batman is barely in a Batman movie...that makes a lot of sense...it should have just been called Wayne Manor or The Bruce Wayne Chronicles...yes I understand it's supposed to be more like a crime drama than an action film, but to me it failed on that level...and when Batman is in the picture, he just gets beat up, beat up, and beat up...until Catwoman needs to save him...
*All cops going into the sewer at the same time just to be trapped...you know, cause they don't know the words "divide and conquer", I guess?
*The end battle...cops vs. the criminals, and no one uses guns?? All hand to hand? Seriously?
*The Death of Bane is the definition of Anticlimactic
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Gee, people, I started this thread so we could all imagine the first movie ending with the turtles being paraded around NYC on the shoulders of liberated humans coming out of the sewers.

I mean, who wouldn't wanna see a Turtles movie like that?

View my sketch work!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Everyone loves irony.
All that prick does is contradict himself.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Genesis
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphroehler2003 View Post
*Bane sounding like a goofy Sean Connery
Friend of mine said he sounded most like Patrick Stewart trying to imitate Sean Connery. I can get behind that description. They might as well have used another character, 'cause it doesn't seem like he acted like Bane at all. Seems to me they just used the name and a vague concept of the real Bane just for the back-breaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhan View Post
Shredder all of a sudden seems more badass than Bane.
There's a reason for that, y'know...

Last edited by Genesis; 08-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
DKR hate is so passe.

No one was talking about The Avengers.

And why does it seem difficult for people to like both? Also why the hell are people even comparing them? Aside from both being based off comic characters they couldn't have less in common. The Nolan Batman films aren't even comic movies as far as I'm concerned. They're crime dramas that happen to feature a protagonist in a cape.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 AM   #18
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No one was talking about The Avengers.

And why does it seem difficult for people to like both? Also why the hell are people even comparing them?
I'm just gonna leave this here.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

randomguy is awesome
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
A few of these similarities I don't get. When did Shredder hide out in the sewer, and when was Bane ever in warehouses, and when did Bane recruit runaway and homeless youth? It seems like he just broke a bunch of guys out of prison.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live action films, live-action films, movie 1, peter laird