The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost

33 years after its cancellation, The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo animated series will be getting a conclusion in an upcoming animated film:

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Holy Sh-t! This has made my day, 13 ghosts of SD is my second favorite series probably. About ten years ago I ranted how those annual direct to video movies should do different things like maybe maybe one set int he time of A pup named SD and one to finish off the 13th ghost! It took a decade but they listened to me For those who don't care I once made a complete continuity timeline of all the SD shows, it was awesome but it's about ten years out of date.

So, this is set a few months after? Weird they mention that since flimflam is an adult. Reviving this series without Scrappy will be sad, he better be name dropped at least "Oh he went with his uncle Dum" or whatever. Weerd and Bogel should also be in the movie, even if it's a cameo! Oh yeah, SD is serious business.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Holy crap, this is something 8 year old me always wanted!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #4
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I know that some fans will be glad that this series is getting proper closure, but it's really strange how they are bringing back FlimFlam, who was just as unpopular as Scrappy, but Scrappy isn't returning.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Yeah, the neglect of Scrappy and the even likely refusal to acknowledge Daphne and Shaggy were living together in that series are turn-offs for me. Plus the gang shouldn't be too surprised at confronting "real" threats as the DTV movie franchise was once littered with them.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Holy Sh-t! This has made my day, 13 ghosts of SD is my second favorite series probably. About ten years ago I ranted how those annual direct to video movies should do different things like maybe maybe one set int he time of A pup named SD and one to finish off the 13th ghost! It took a decade but they listened to me For those who don't care I once made a complete continuity timeline of all the SD shows, it was awesome but it's about ten years out of date.

So, this is set a few months after? Weird they mention that since flimflam is an adult. Reviving this series without Scrappy will be sad, he better be name dropped at least "Oh he went with his uncle Dum" or whatever. Weerd and Bogel should also be in the movie, even if it's a cameo! Oh yeah, SD is serious business.
I think I remember you making a thread about that

But anyway this movie doesn't look good at all..... I like the idea of them giving the series a proper ending, but this movie just looks bad. They should start out the movie by either telling the movie in a flash back or have the movie just started in the past with Shaggy and Daphne still being by themselves with Scooby and Scrappy and they could "Call" Freddy and Velma in for help to capture this last Ghost and this could explain how the gang gets back together!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Well this was unexpected, but very welcome to me. I loved the series, the Vincent Price-love, and I wished it had received proper closure.

I figured that throw-away reference to the series in Mystery Incorporated would be the most attention the series would ever get. I'm just assuming WB will probably use it as yet another excuse to crap on Scrappy-Doo (Mystery Incorporated couldn't resist, even being vague). Hope I'm wrong, but even if that's the case, I think it should at least be enjoyable.

EDIT:
No Blu Ray option?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 11-07-2018 at 03:11 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Didn't even realize that was Flim Flam that little hispanic boy. Seems interesting, I hope the other characters get cameos. Nice to see a plothole tied up 33 years later.

Now if only they can make a movie finishing up the end of Pirates of Dark Water, then we'd be set.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Analyzing that trailer for continuity:

Daphne doesn't say she wasn't with Scooby, in fact the trailer implies she was with her "we trapped 12" and is even wearing a jump suit like in the 13 ghosts.

Freddy is shocked about ghosts but it's only implying he hasn't seen them not that he doesn't know. I'm still shocked about space travel but that doesn't mean I don't know it doesn't exist. Of course Velma does mess it up saying ghosts aren't real but has she even seen ghosts? She's seen real monsters for sure but maybe not ghosts but my memory is hazy.

The popular theory in the scooby fandom was that Vincent VanGhoul just erased their memory after the 13th ghost who was captured just never had an episode about it. I guess that could still be what happened only with the rest of the gang. This makes sense since they do mention it's been "months" which would mean this takes place in the pre Direct To Video films era before they broke up originally, hell them selling their stuff might just mean it's specifically set in that era perfectly. The main problem is flim flam who is now tall, then again, maybe he had a growth spurt, he could've been 12 in the show and is now 13 and tall.

As far as scrappy, he's too important, I don't think he'll appear in the movie but I do think he'll get a throw away line of him having gone back with Scooby-Dum or whatever.

My timeline Scooby timeline is outdated, my goal for 2019 will now have to be to catch up on the last ten years worth of scooby shows/movies to fit them all in one nice timeline, and see how I fix the god damn problem that Mystery Inc created

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Now if only they can make a movie finishing up the end of Pirates of Dark Water, then we'd be set.
This is getting a lot of attention so maybe revivals on previous Scooby incarnations might become a thing, A Pup Named Scooby Doo here we come!(no the puppet movie doesn't count)

Pirates of Dark Water is something WB doesn't even know what it is, if Swat Kats and other more popular cult shows can't get anything Pirates won't ;(
Old 11-07-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Never saw much of 13 Ghosts but it’s cool they’re giving it an ending. Scrappy never really bothered me but I guess he was annoying.

Number 1 thing I want is still Scooby Doo meets the Ghostbusters.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
This makes sense since they do mention it's been "months" which would mean this takes place in the pre Direct To Video films era before they broke up originally, hell them selling their stuff might just mean it's specifically set in that era perfectly. The main problem is flim flam who is now tall, then again, maybe he had a growth spurt, he could've been 12 in the show and is now 13 and tall.

(
I don't think they actually say how much time has passed. They just indicated that Vincent has just been trying to get in contact with them for the pass 9 months. 2 years could have passed and Vincent could have been trying to get in contact with them for the past 9 months after a couple years have already passed.

As I said before I think this movie will not be well done story wise and will be messing, but I will still be happy to see it. Now I just have to re-watch the 13 ghost series.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
As I said before I think this movie will not be well done story wise and will be messing.
This. These movies aren't going to suddenly improve in quality now just because of fan-service.

Also I think they'll use the movie to show just how "wrong" it was for Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby to function as a unit without Fred or Velma...and Fred for some reason is even more of a goof here than he's ever been. I hope there's a surprise twist and Daphne finally dumps him, but it's doubtful. WB are actually aware there's a fanbase for Shaggy and Daphne and often troll that fandom.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 AM   #13
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I recently watched a few episodes of the original series from the 60's and 70's and I was shocked at what a level headed and mature character Freddy used to be, you felt he was the unofficial leader. Why modern iterations of him have made him so goofy and all I will never know.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #14
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i hope they have a flashback and show werewolf daphne. that was one of the best animated werewolf tfs of all time. even have a few cels of her.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 AM   #15
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Looks pretty fun!

I'm the minority in that I like Scrappy Doo. Never understood why people thought he was annoying. I thought he was especially great in the following 3 movies; Meets the Boo Brothers, The Reluctant Werewolf, and The Ghoul School.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #16
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

I'm also in the "didn't mind Scrappy" camp. Though, I think most of the hate comes from a lot of people's first impression of him being a high-pitched, danger-crazy character thrown into an already-established gang back in his first season. Thus, they didn't really care that he was made a lot more competent and less annoying in subsequent seasons, shows, and movies. (Mostly to serve the stable role originally filled by the non-Scooby-and-Shaggy members of the gang who were retired for a bit from the second Scrappy season onward.) I grew up with the second season Scrappy and the 80's movies as my Scooby norm, thus, I didn't really see a problem with him.

Anyway, this is such a neat idea for a movie. I didn't think these Scooby DTVs would still be able to surprise me after they brought Batman the Brave and the Bold back after years off the air for a crossover, but they still managed to do so. I love all the weird throwbacks to 13 Ghosts like Daphne's alternate wardrobe and the Not-Mystery-Machine and I love how Flim Flam aged, yet the rest of them stayed the same. Definitely looking forward to this, especially seeing what other little references they can squeeze in. (Scrappy getting a shout-out or nod would be nice.)
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #17
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I went through a phase where I hated Scrappy (just 'cause the internet tells you to), but why keep evading him when the point of many of these cartoon revivals is to correct or improve on the flaws of the original shows?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I went through a phase where I hated Scrappy (just 'cause the internet tells you to), but why keep evading him when the point of many of these cartoon revivals is to correct or improve on the flaws of the original shows?
There's the old saying "there are no bad characters, just bad writers." Seems like most people who hate Scrappy blame him for disrupting the Scooby status quo (remove Fred and Velma add Daphne back later), which I agree is a valid critique, but the amount of disrespect shown to Scrappy since the live-action movies is just unbelievable.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I don't think they actually say how much time has passed. They just indicated that Vincent has just been trying to get in contact with them for the pass 9 months. 2 years could have passed and Vincent could have been trying to get in contact with them for the past 9 months after a couple years have already passed.

As I said before I think this movie will not be well done story wise and will be messing, but I will still be happy to see it. Now I just have to re-watch the 13 ghost series.
Quote:
This. These movies aren't going to suddenly improve in quality now just because of fan-service.

Also I think they'll use the movie to show just how "wrong" it was for Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby to function as a unit without Fred or Velma...and Fred for some reason is even more of a goof here than he's ever been. I hope there's a surprise twist and Daphne finally dumps him, but it's doubtful. WB are actually aware there's a fanbase for Shaggy and Daphne and often troll that fandom.
I don't think I'd like the movie to take place before the modern era though since them selling the mystery Inc stuff could be the story that sets up the original break up, only here it's amicable which has never been shown in cartoon form.

As far as the quality I don't know how the DTVs are now but they were hit or miss back in the day. And of course the writers don't care about continuity, they just thought it'd be a cool story to finish and it could work stand alone, this will contradict a bunch of stuff but that's the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I recently watched a few episodes of the original series from the 60's and 70's and I was shocked at what a level headed and mature character Freddy used to be, you felt he was the unofficial leader. Why modern iterations of him have made him so goofy and all I will never know.
Freddy being goofy started with A Pup Named Scooby-Doo and that personality trait stuck in the live action movie and the following series as adult and has mostly stuck since for better or worse. I like it but they over do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Looks pretty fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
I'm also in the "didn't mind Scrappy" camp.
Quote:
I'm a Scrappy fan as well, the fact that they avoid him as if he were a racist caricature is rather odd. I liked him as a kid, the show gets boring when it's only Scooby, Shaggy and Scrappy and that's also were he's at his worst but ironically enough all his following appearances he was a better character as he had more of a Freddy role. But it's cool to hate on Scrappy so that's why they do it, I do hope one day they finally give him a chance again, with 2 movies or so a year why can't they mix it up with one movie being about Scrappy, surely better than the average ghost of the year movie they've now been doing for 20 years.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Ah yes, the 13 Ghosts, the first season of Scooby-Doo that actually had a good justification for the name change.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote