The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #241
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks like they've decided officially on Christmas Day release, simultaneously on HBO Max and the theaters that are able to show it.

https://cosmicbook.news/wonder-woman...-christmas-day

I mean, that's fair.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #242
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

That's cool All the WB Blu Rays for Black Friday come with 14 day free trials for Max. so I will get one of those and save my free trail till Xmas and watch WW
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #243
CyberCubed
Overlord

Thank god its getting an HBO release, that means all the streaming websites should have it up within the end of the day and I can watch it online. I'm still waiting for them to do Black Widow like this just to get that over with, no idea why they can't just give it a Disney+ release so I can watch it for free.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #244
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
that means all the streaming websites should have it up within the end of the day and I can watch it online.
Sad but true. At least the people who are willing to risk certain death by going to the theater (that's sarcasm) have the opportunity to do so. In terms of lost revenue because of what you say... they probably can write it off as part of the cost of making HBO Max a legitimate streamer competitor.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #245
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's probably ironic the last movie I saw in theaters was Star Wars Episode 9. Never thought that would be final movie theater experience of my lifetime.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #246
Leo656
The Franchise

If what Fauci now admits about "it's never going away completely" and we're all gonna need booster shots periodically just like the regular flu is all accurate... I don't see what massive shutdowns will accomplish, be they two weeks or two months.

People are gonna get sick and some of them are gonna die. Maybe fewer. But people are gonna get sick and some will die, no matter whether we shut down or not. Obviously less is better, but it just shows that thinking "We could'a killed this thing if everybody just BEHAVED!" is ridiculous thinking. It's not in our hands, never was.

They don't know what to do and they're grasping at straws. It's just like airport security... the ILLUSION of safety but ultimately very little can come of it.

The precautions already in place are more than enough. It's going to come and go in waves, forever. They've finally admitted as much. It is not something we can eradicate. Definitely not by "Just stay home". Again, people still have to go out grocery shopping. That's a loophole. As long as there are loopholes, it's not an airtight system.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #247
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Eh. I woulda seen it in theaters probably, but I'm not heading out on Christmas Day for WW2. Not when the spoilers all make it sound like a beautiful looking sh!t bag.

Maybe HBO Max at some point, or Redbox.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #248
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's hard to believe all the hype the original movie had in 2017 (remember people considering it WB's first good superhero movie in awhile, as well as the first theatrical Wonder Woman film plus a female led superhero movie), and now 3 years later it feels like Wonder Woman 2 is going to release with a whimper.

Even pre-covid it felt like the expectations toward this sequel were rather lukewarm even from the general public who aren't necessarily comic or superhero fans. Too bad really, Wonder Woman is really the perfect fit for today's political climate and it looks like this one is going to be forgotten. I don't think there will be a Wonder Woman 3, at least in this continuity, that's for sure.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #249
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Thank God that some cinemas will be showing it because it does give them a lifeline. Since I live in Texas where movie theaters are open I will go and see it on the big screen.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #250
Leo656
The Franchise

It still has a decent buzz, but admittedly only from people of the "I refuse to see Spoilers or even watch trailers" variety. Anyone who's seen the general gist of the script - and there's a lot of them by now; remember, this thing's been 100% in the can for over a year, Spoilers for it are rampant - knows that the plot is garbage and only the visual effects can save it. And some people will watch trailers but not read Spoilers, obviously; I've seen them say that the shot of Diana swinging around on lightning bolts is enough for them to call it a masterpiece.

It's gonna be a very beautiful disaster. The plot is BAD. Part of why the original worked so well is that aside from being set in WWI era rather than WWII - because Captain America had already come out and "If we do a WWII super-hero movie we'll be called copycats" - it was incredibly faithful to the comics. People who know the Wonder Woman lore backwards and forwards loved it, as did neophytes. This, on the other hand, is going to be like "Birds of Prey" - people who don't know sh*t about the comics might like it, but anyone who DOES care about the comics is going to hate it because they screw up a LOT of stuff. And we saw how "well" BoP was received. Everyone but unshaven lesbians hated it.

People will also never admit it, but another part of why the first film worked so well is because Zack oversaw it as a producer and also worked on the script. He wasn't like incredibly hands-on and Patty had a lot of freedom as to how to actually direct the material, but since it was designed to fit in neatly between "Man of Steel", "BvS" and "Justice League" there were certain things that "had" to be in there. Lots of people didn't notice, but if you know what you're looking at his hands are all over it. The general visual style - especially the "storybook" sequence about the history of the Amazons and all that - was all the way Zack. That scene also by design played out very similarly to the "History of Krypton" scene in MoS - that was also no accident. And of course, the scene of Ares tempting Diana to join him and her rebuke of him was entirely lifted from MoS; it was framed similarly, and Diana even says "I can't be a part of this", which is word-for-word what Kal-El told Zod in MoS. None of that was an accident; the two movies were supposed to be "siblings" in a sense and thus they were supposed to mirror each other in several key ways. And it worked to great effect. It's a great stand-alone piece but it ALSO works beautifully as a companion to MoS.

People love to give Patty Jenkins all this credit for being a "visionary" on the first film, but the fact is a ton of what she did was under guidance and direction of Zack. I'm not knocking her, merely stating a historical fact. There are people who will forever refuse to give Snyder credit for anything he does, but the simple fact is that he was a huge part of why "Wonder Woman" worked as well as it did because he laid the brick for it. The biggest thing Jenkins did was simply saturate the color palette more. That was her single biggest piece of "creative input". Again, I'm not trying to knock her, she did her job very well, but it was under direction.

Now that we see what she does when left entirely to her own devices, it's very telling. Wiping her ass with the comic canon, screwing up several key characters, filling the plot with fairy tale nonsense and woke "Fight The Patriarchy/Take Down The White House" junk.

I'm sure it'll do well, or at least as well as it can be with everybody watching it at home for free, and it'll get a decent reaction just because it's all bright and sh*t - people really do seem to grade how "good" a super-hero movie is by the color saturation more than anything, which is odd to me - but the story is a complete mess. I wanted to be excited for it, but frankly I wanted a movie more in the vein of the first one. I'm not in the mood for more "We Hate Trump" preaching after 2020's been overloaded with that. This movie could have been so much more than that.

Ah well. I might see it eventually - my wife loves the character so I'm more or less gonna be "forced" to see it sooner or later - but for every bit of excitement I had for the first - and it was a lot - I'm entirely "Meh" on this one. It's visually stunning but I need more than that.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #251
Shark_Blade
Emperor

If theatres opening at that time I’ll be there hopefully.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #252
Roseangelo
Emperor

Well, I guess I have something to do on Christmas day now.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #253
newfan
Mad Scientist

Stupid question, is it going to be on theatres Christmas day only or will it remain a few days after that? (I remember reading that they were contemplating a short cinema release)
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:30 AM   #254
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free....
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #255
CyberCubed
Overlord

Can't wait to watch this on 1.5x speed on Christmas, assuming it gets up on the streaming sites as soon as it comes out on HBO. They're usually pretty "quick" about it.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:46 AM   #256
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The movie's tiered international release schedule:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/wonder-...release-dates/

Not smart putting Korea so early... they're always lightning fast about throwing up their torrents.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #257
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I'm happy they are doing this and hope it ends up being a successful move. Christmas Day gonna be a lot more enjoyable for me with this on the slate.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:24 AM   #258
newfan
Mad Scientist

According to the article we get it Dec 16th, I'm not sure how many cinemas will be open with the different region restrictions that are going to be released later today I think.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #259
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Not smart putting Korea so early... they're always lightning fast about throwing up their torrents.
The torrent would already be available immediately on the 25th with it being on HBO Max. Two days doesn't make any difference.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:41 PM   #260
Leo656
The Franchise

There was an article somewhere where it says WB pretty much gave up because they knew the movie would be "stale and dated" by Spring of next year. Most likely on account of all the anti-Trump stuff they insisted on cramming it with. So instead they're just gonna take a huge bath on a movie that cost $200 million before marketing which was originally projected to gross over a billion at the box office, and easily would have had they released it in 2019 when it was finished. So now since Biden won the election and they can't claim they "helped" kick Trump out with their cheerleading-disguised-as-a-movie, they have "no choice" but to send it to the internet where they'll be lucky to make $100, let alone a billion.

In the immortal words of Peter Griffin... "Nah nah-nah nah nah-nah... Nah nah-nah nah nah-nah... Nah nah-nah nah nah-nah... Joke's On YOU!"

Like it sucks, but they really set themselves up for this and so in a way they really deserve to fail. This could have been avoided at least a half-dozen different ways. Don't try and be "topical", don't sit on a movie for a year after it's done just so you can try and piggyback on a very contentious election year and get some extra attention for yourself, don't overestimate your film's overall "importance" to the marketplace... so many mistakes, all completely avoidable.

WB is like the proverbial guy who's always showing up to the orgy after all the chicks have gone home.