The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-26-2021, 05:37 PM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh yes, I 100% agree. AOC and her cronies all refuse to condemn Hamas and all that, too.
Just imagine her reaction if somehow someone was treating Puerto Rico the way Israel gets treated.

Different scenario, I know, since Puerto Rico is our backyard and thus technically our problem. Just saying, I doubt she'd be singing the same tune if it were HER people being attacked.

"BUT, it's just The Jews, f*ck 'em."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #42
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
a)
It's not too hard to understand. Hamas is a straight up terrorist group that hides within innocent Palestian people, doing regular rocket attacks against Israel. Israel retaliates to defend itself.

Terrorist groups = bad. Hamas = bad. Israel = doing nothing wrong.

Oh, I understand that part. I just think the entire area is evil and basically a write off at this point. until they stop believing in religion and using 'holy land this' and 'holy land that' as an excuse for renewed conflict on both sides, and start talking common sense, i'd just as soon rope off the entire area and ban travel to it for a 100 years to see if that gets both sides to calm the frig down and stop killing each other.

probably wouldn't work either, but it beats constantly getting involved in that part of the world.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Oh, I understand that part. I just think the entire area is evil and basically a write off at this point. until they stop believing in religion and using 'holy land this' and 'holy land that' as an excuse for renewed conflict on both sides, and start talking common sense, i'd just as soon rope off the entire area and ban travel to it for a 100 years to see if that gets both sides to calm the frig down and stop killing each other.

probably wouldn't work either, but it beats constantly getting involved in that part of the world.
Thus the "Con" part of the Pros and Cons of organized religion.

People only do "good" because they're afraid of reprisal. Some people don't care about "laws" insofar as words on paper, but they ARE very afraid that some all-powerful deity will punish them for all eternity for any wrongdoings. Thus, they try and "behave", at least insofar as what their deity of choice tells them is correct.

So on one level, religion and belief in God(s) is a necessary evil, because as we've seen right here in America, the further away we get from a "Believer" society, the further we descend into lawlessness. When people know for a fact that there's no reprisal forthcoming, in this life or the next, they do whatever the hell they want. So the Pro side is, to some degree religion makes people behave marginally better than they otherwise might.

BUT, on the other hand, so many people believe so wholeheartedly in what their God of choice says, they wipe their ass with any other set of rules, whether they be formed via committee or just plain decency. And then you get things like terrorists doing what they do, and arguing that it's all okay because "My God's law trumps your man-made law." That's the Con side; you can't disprove anything they say, because there MIGHT in theory be a God and he just might in theory agree with those lunatics. Until another burning bush shows up to declare otherwise, we're stuck acknowledging that any sort of dogma MIGHT just be "correct" because we can't disprove it.

I'm pretty Agnostic, myself, so I can see the Pros and Cons quite clearly from the outside looking in. BUT, one thing that has me pretty sure there's no God is that He never made it clear that he's 100% Not Okay with some of the stuff that happens in His name. And that seems pretty sh*tty.

Like, part of me does agree with George Carlin, in that "You COULD just outlaw all religions and then most of society's problems would fix themselves in a couple of generations." But seeing as how fear of Judgment is the only thing keeping most people on the straight and narrow, I'm also pretty afraid of what such a world might look like once people realized en masse that nobody was stopping them from doing whatever the hell they wanted to do. Because once you remove "God" from the equation completely, all notions of Right and Wrong become open to interpretation. And that's pretty dangerous in and of itself.

Tricky subject.

Old 08-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #44
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, but Anti-Semitism runs deep - especially among the Left - and they'll do whatever they can to dress it up as something else. At the end of the day that's most of what the whole "empathize with the people attacking Israel" thing is; Anti-Semitism with a fancy hat.

There's also the whole ridiculous theory that seemingly everyone on the Left subscribes to, where "If you just give the terrorists what they want, they'll go away and everything will be fine!" Which is preposterous, BUT if you really pay attention to who makes up The Left, it's generally people who got bullied mercilessly in school, never learned how to stand up for themselves, and think that appeasement works, which it never does. So it makes sense why they'd think such asinine things, but it doesn't make sense why any rational person would go along.
That's how World War II got started! Thanks to Neville Chamberlain. History repeats in odd cycles.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah. I'm not religious but you see what happens now when religion becomes strongly removed from the equation... people start self-obsessing and then we end up with 30 genders, "wrong side of history," and apparently nazis everywhere. Etcetera.

I think there needs to be a careful balance.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:13 AM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm not entirely a religious devotee, but there's no question how much influence the occult has on the world now.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #47
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Mike Richards is now undergoing sensitivity training and his having work as a producer overseen by a supervisor.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...-amid-jeopardy
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #48
Vegita-San
Emperor

The problem is Sony. Sony is woke as $hit. they cultivate people like Mike Richards. the problem isn't going to go away.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #49
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I do agree. If we ever remove all religion and kill the concept of there being a hell awaiting sinners, it's gonna go full on Purge worldwide.

For literally billions upon billions of people out there, regardless of beliefs, it's the fear of whatever version of hell they believe in that stops them from commiting true evil.

In terms of people in authority looking over you and laws keeping people in check, look all the soldiers raping women in third world countries. These people might never ever do something like that when they're living in America as regular joes, but I'm sure they're thinking to themselves 'I'm in some jungle in some third world country in the middle of nowhere, who the **** is ever gonna know?'

Note, I am in no way condoning rape, of course not, I'm just saying that might explain why rape is common in those situations, because 'who will ever know?' the fear of 'Somebody watching you' is removed.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #50
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Another thing is that he did this podcast after the lawsuits were filed against him during his time on The Price is Right. He clearly never learned from his mistakes with the things he was saying on the episodes. When he was releasing these apologies, he came across as very disingenuous. Ken Jennings said some bad things on Twitter in the past, but when he released a statement after they resurfaced he seemed like he genuinely regretted saying them. My experience of seeing the kind of behavior that the contestants and George Gray showed in the 2002 syndicated edition of Weakest Link, a series that Richards served as an executive producer, showed what a slime-ball and weirdo Richards is.
Time to move on, dude.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I do agree. If we ever remove all religion and kill the concept of there being a hell awaiting sinners, it's gonna go full on Purge worldwide.

For literally billions upon billions of people out there, regardless of beliefs, it's the fear of whatever version of hell they believe in that stops them from commiting true evil.

In terms of people in authority looking over you and laws keeping people in check, look all the soldiers raping women in third world countries. These people might never ever do something like that when they're living in America as regular joes, but I'm sure they're thinking to themselves 'I'm in some jungle in some third world country in the middle of nowhere, who the **** is ever gonna know?'

Note, I am in no way condoning rape, of course not, I'm just saying that might explain why rape is common in those situations, because 'who will ever know?' the fear of 'Somebody watching you' is removed.
Yeah. And I don't claim to have the answers... but what I'd suggest is like... keep a Christian/Catholic sort of religious backbone to society, school and peripherally even at the government level (which is not to say prayer, or a mix of church and state). People can be atheist or agnostic or whatever they want, but on an operational and a fundamental level there should be that backbone in place and that really shouldn't ever be allowed to be de-normalized. Parodied, lampooned? Of course. Just not torn down.

Otherwise, yeah. "I've been spending a lot of time thinking a whole lot about myself lately, looking inward, and I realize that I'm a brand new gender I invented and I want to be my best me now!" and "I've been looking at old movies and books and I've determined that this list of 50 of them are all racist and should be banned!"/"Look at these nazis I found on the internet today!" and so on types emerge and start making a run on the pink hair dye aisle.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 PM   #52
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

Which reminds me that "Casualties of War" starring Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn is a very good movie. Although not one to watch if you want to be in a particularly sunny mood for the rest of your day.

But yeah, relevant to what you said because the stuff in that movie is based on actual historical events, which ultimately came about for exactly that reason: "Who even gives a sh*t?" That's the kind of stuff people do when the threat of consequence is removed. Thankfully, in that one case the perpetrators DID suffer consequences, but only because One Guy had a strong enough conscience to risk literally everything to see justice done. MOST people would've just looked the other way... or joined in.

Human decency generally evaporates, and sociopathic tendencies kick in, the very second a person realizes that "God" isn't paying any attention.

"Everybody's acting like we can do anything, and it don't matter what we do! ...Well maybe we ought'a be extra careful, because maybe it matters more than we even know."

Seriously, watch that movie if you never have. Just, y'know, expect it to be reasonably depressing and bleak. It's a great flick, though.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #53
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Which reminds me that "Casualties of War" starring Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn is a very good movie. Although not one to watch if you want to be in a particularly sunny mood for the rest of your day.

But yeah, relevant to what you said because the stuff in that movie is based on actual historical events, which ultimately came about for exactly that reason: "Who even gives a sh*t?" That's the kind of stuff people do when the threat of consequence is removed. Thankfully, in that one case the perpetrators DID suffer consequences, but only because One Guy had a strong enough conscience to risk literally everything to see justice done. MOST people would've just looked the other way... or joined in.

Human decency generally evaporates, and sociopathic tendencies kick in, the very second a person realizes that "God" isn't paying any attention.

"Everybody's acting like we can do anything, and it don't matter what we do! ...Well maybe we ought'a be extra careful, because maybe it matters more than we even know."

Seriously, watch that movie if you never have. Just, y'know, expect it to be reasonably depressing and bleak. It's a great flick, though.
I'm assuming that one good guy was the one played by Micheal J Fox. I don't see him every playing THAT kind of role.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #54
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Sony apparently didn't offer Ken Jennings the job because of his old tweets. Some focus groups also weren't responding well to him.

https://news.yahoo.com/ken-jennings-...153045087.html

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...ys-11630065609
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I'm assuming that one good guy was the one played by Micheal J Fox. I don't see him every playing THAT kind of role.
Yeah he played the guy who refused to rape the girl and then blew the whistle on his whole squad later on. And initially, nobody even gave a sh*t.

I'm a sucker for a good "based on true-life events" movie, when actually done well with a lean towards historical accuracy. And that's a really good one. But watching it and knowing that not only did this sh*t happen, the Real Life Events were actually even worse, makes it not a very feel-good movie.

BUT, it serves as a cold reminder than when push comes to shove, the only thing required for Evil to take place is for Good people to do nothing.

Sometimes, they do something, and it all works out. But not always. Not even most times, sadly.

Here's some of the actual events which inspired the movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_on_Hill_192

Old 08-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #56
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Robin Roberts should have been chosen to be the host. She's neither male, white, nor straight.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #57
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Robin Roberts should have been chosen to be the host. She's neither male, white, nor straight.
and therein lies the crux of the problem. imagine people saying they where neither black, or gay or trans...

see the dichotomy here?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #58
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
and therein lies the crux of the problem. imagine people saying they where neither black, or gay or trans...

see the dichotomy here?
I'm not sure what you mean, but I was being facetious.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #59
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Apparently its important to constantly remind us of their old tweets than it is to see that they changed in attitude.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Apparently its important to constantly remind us of their old tweets than it is to see that they changed in attitude.
Who cares if they even changed? Funny is funny, comedy is subjective. F*** the apologies.