The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2023, 11:16 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

The designs are so awful, it's also going to clearly be a kiddie movie, and the school aspect is awful. And April is a fat black woman now.

Oh god what did we ever do to deserve this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:35 PM   #42
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Rat King wasn't on the voice cast list and wasn't he supposed to be in this movie?
Old 03-05-2023, 12:24 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I sincerely hope these kids are better actors as VAs than the majority of what Nickelodeon tends to hire for their live action shows these days. They seem to hire kids whose acting couldn't seem authentic if their lives depended on it, and then we're told and now confirmed that they hired a bunch of teens... for the love of whatever, just please have talent. Actual talent, not superficial, surface level Nick show lack of talent where obnoxiousness is used to try to make up for it.
Technically, they always should have had teens for the voices of the Turtles. Or adults that can perennially sound like teens (Bart and Lisa voice actors, etc.) until such a time as the Turtles are no longer teens.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:15 AM   #44
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Two words: RAY FILLET.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:33 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I blame the people in the vol. 4 lettercol. Well, I do but I don't. But the chickens have come home to roost either way, as they say.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-05-2023 at 02:16 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:10 AM   #46
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It’s what we didn’t do actually.

Old 03-05-2023, 02:43 AM   #47
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
The cast looks ok but the only ones I recognise are John Cena, Seth Rogen, Jackie Chan, Ice Cube, Giancarlo Esposito, Rose Byrne and Nicolas Cantu.

So no Shredder and Rat King, so who's the main villain for the movie, unless they are in it and kept secret for now.

Jackie Chan voicing Splinter, wow that took me by surprise.
John Cena went from voicing Draxum in Rise to voicing Rocksteady in Mutant Mayhem.
Not surprised Seth Rogen is going to voice a character.
I know who Nicolas Cantu is, because he voiced B.O.Y.D in Ducktales. Funny enough Giancarlo Esposito was also in Ducktales he voiced Phantom Blot.
Paul Rudd playing Mondo is cool.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:59 AM   #48
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
Two words: RAY FILLET.
I got two other words for you:
Who cares?

Alternatively:
So what?

Let's remember that characters such as these are first and foremost designed to be action figures and that whatever purpose they have in the plot was always going to be a secondary concern. People's attachments them are a bit strange when you consider that:
  1. The Fred Wolf writers clearly didn't care and only had most of them show up once or twice throughout the entire 193 episode run due to contractual obligation. By all rights, their inclusion ought to be far less memorable than Zach the Fifth "Turtle", a character nobody cares about and really has no presence outside of the FW show.
  2. The Archie comics may have used them to a much greater extent but were often used as a soap box to say something like "Plastic in the ocean is bad!" rather than make them interesting as characters, and the writer callously killed many of them off out of spite when their spin-off again. And it still doesn't explain why people don't care more about, for example, Oyuki, a character who was introduced to have a more significant role than just toy marketing and soap boxing.
  3. When they were re-introduced in the 2012 show, not only was there a similar "let's just have them pop up once or twice" attitude, they were effectively treated like blank slates and often had elements completely unrelated to the original depiction included. Meaning there isn't even consistency in how they are depicted.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:02 AM   #49
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by autbot_benz View Post
looks like shredder really isn't in this movie since he isn't on the voice cast list
iam and i will kill the turtles!
Old 03-05-2023, 03:07 AM   #50
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Wait...did they just White Wash Bebop?
... Possibly? Based on some of the previous leaks we've seen and the... Unusual... For Nickelodeon... In a pseudo-FW project... Decision to seemingly make a mutant fly character distinct from Baxter Stockman, I'd say there is a distinct possibility that this version of Bebop might just be a mutated warthog and not a human thug. In which case it doesn't really matter who voices him.

... Wait... He was voiced by a white guy in the FW cartoon, right?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-05-2023, 03:53 AM   #51
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I blame the people in the vol. 4 lettercol..
I was a regular on those. My grammar was f*cking terrible...and I was in my 20s!
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:13 AM   #52
AquaParade
Banned

The hint of utroms is great but I’m getting “MCU-Uncle Ben syndrome” from the lack of ninjas.

I’m guessing they want to build up to the foot in a later movie and bypass the origin for now. It’s not an awful strategy but without knowing the plan, it makes me a bit uneasy.

They are basically going to be certified superheroes before potentially meeting Saki, from the way it looks now. But if they don’t abandon that side of the story, I can still see it working in a new way, I suppose.

I’m typically not into the “crime-fighting” side of turtles when it comes to the comics, but I tend to have different expectations when it comes to stuff that is very all-ages friendly. I pretty much expect them to be crime-fighters in anything animated and appropriate for children. It’s not my favorite approach but it can work in context.

I think there is a lot of fun to be had in the aesthetic and tone of the 90’s video games, which are all-ages appropriate. I think that’s an appealing tone to go for, if you are bypassing the comic faithful route.
There’s a sense of creativity, color, and irreverence that is sort of unique to the games and Playmates toys. I’m not sure the original cartoon really captured that aesthetic, so maybe there is still room to head that direction. A little bit of that 90’s MTV-animation flavor, if that makes sense.

Again though, who knows. I still don’t like the leaked storyboard and we haven’t even spent time with the characters yet, who could turn out to be super annoying. I’m not holding my breath yet but this small glimpse, in a nutshell, has potential.

Last edited by AquaParade; 03-05-2023 at 04:24 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:16 AM   #53
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I got two other words for you:
Who cares?

Alternatively:
So what?

Let's remember that characters such as these are first and foremost designed to be action figures and that whatever purpose they have in the plot was always going to be a secondary concern. People's attachments them are a bit strange when you consider that:
  1. The Fred Wolf writers clearly didn't care and only had most of them show up once or twice throughout the entire 193 episode run due to contractual obligation. By all rights, their inclusion ought to be far less memorable than Zach the Fifth "Turtle", a character nobody cares about and really has no presence outside of the FW show.
  2. The Archie comics may have used them to a much greater extent but were often used as a soap box to say something like "Plastic in the ocean is bad!" rather than make them interesting as characters, and the writer callously killed many of them off out of spite when their spin-off again. And it still doesn't explain why people don't care more about, for example, Oyuki, a character who was introduced to have a more significant role than just toy marketing and soap boxing.
  3. When they were re-introduced in the 2012 show, not only was there a similar "let's just have them pop up once or twice" attitude, they were effectively treated like blank slates and often had elements completely unrelated to the original depiction included. Meaning there isn't even consistency in how they are depicted.
Two words: I CARE.

You mad a someone for getting exciting that his favourite character is in the movie then you really need to have a hard look at yourself. pathetic really.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:19 AM   #54
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash-Dash View Post
Two words: I CARE.

You mad a someone for getting exciting that his favourite character is in the movie then you really need to have a hard look at yourself. pathetic really.
I'm not mad, I'm questioning why such vacuous characters are tickling anyone's tail feathers. Just to add to that, this has already been confirmed to feature 16 named characters, six of which are guaranteed to take up most of the focus and at least four others I'd wager are going take a bit of extra spotlight, you really think Ray of all characters is going to be given enough screen time to actually do something important in this movie?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 03-05-2023 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 04:40 AM   #55
Sumac
Banned

Waste of a great cast for a mediocre movie, at least that's how it looks right now.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:05 AM   #56
AquaParade
Banned

The shot of Raph licking his sai is actually pretty great. Good reminder that these characters aren’t human. They’re a little strange, a little raw, even primitive. That’s cool.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:11 AM   #57
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
... Possibly? Based on some of the previous leaks we've seen and the... Unusual... For Nickelodeon... In a pseudo-FW project... Decision to seemingly make a mutant fly character distinct from Baxter Stockman, I'd say there is a distinct possibility that this version of Bebop might just be a mutated warthog and not a human thug. In which case it doesn't really matter who voices him.

... Wait... He was voiced by a white guy in the FW cartoon, right?
Even if he is a mutated warthog the perpetually online wont care. A non-white role went to a white person...even if the casting will probably be pretty good and attractive to the audience.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:37 AM   #58
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
Even if he is a mutated warthog the perpetually online wont care. A non-white role went to a white person...even if the casting will probably be pretty good and attractive to the audience.
Naw, I think you're WAY overthinking it. People care about Bebop the mutant. Nobody is stressing about his freaking skin color, especially if this version wasn't human to begin with.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:49 AM   #59
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Naw, I think you're WAY overthinking it.
Judging by the video content shared just on this page alone, there's a LOT of overthinking going on in this thread.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #60
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Naw, I think you're WAY overthinking it. People care about Bebop the mutant. Nobody is stressing about his freaking skin color, especially if this version wasn't human to begin with.
Dude, before Toy Story 4 was released, people were stressing about Woody’s sexuality. They argued over whether a freaking toy was bisexual or not.

Race and sexuality are everything to these people. We’re in the 2020’s, not the 90’s anymore.

Tags
bebop, cubedhatesblackpeople, leatherhead, mondo gecko, rocksteady, tigercuck, wingnut