The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pre-school bans kids from using term "Best Friend"

http://abc7ny.com/3367237/

Shesus...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

I know, some want to stop children having a best friend. This is something most children innately do (as we know). I support inclusion, it isn't nice for a child to be left out because they have more difficulty making friends, encouraging children to have a whole group of friends and inviting others to play is a good thing, from my own memories it could sometimes be a problem if you chose to play with a child other than your 'best friend' so working on that too is a good thing, but stopping them from having that closest friend? no, a lot of them are going to have someone they bond with most.. . Course this article is about banning the term not having that closest friend.

Last edited by newfan; 04-20-2018 at 02:44 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Modern progressives remind so much of early Bolsheviks.

They ban words and change their meanings, while reality obviously stays the same and then they are pretending that they made "a meaningful change" and made society "better".

Gladly, reality usually win over those morons, but not before a lot of people suffer for their stupidity and ignorance.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

I don’t see a problem with not encouraging the terms use. As long as a replacement term is offered such as “good friend.” We don’t need to be making it more difficult for children to express themselves by banning words and not offering replacements. Also I would hope the teachers would have discussions about what makes someone a good friend.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
I don’t see a problem with not encouraging the terms use.
"Not encouraging" is different than saying, "Timmy, you can NOT call John your 'best friend' in this classroom!"

Which is crazy.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Not encouraging" is different than saying, "Timmy, you can NOT call John your 'best friend' in this classroom!"

Which is crazy.
Yeah it doesn’t teach the kids much of anything to be saying “no” all the time. Except maybe that school has lots of strange rules.

It’s hard to believe that a teacher would straight up say “Timmy your not allowed to say that.” I would think the teacher would be more like “Timmy remember we say ‘good friend’ when we see someone treating us nicely.”

One way seems like teaching while the other seems like just code enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Agreed, encouraging things and banning things are different. Hhhmmmmm, also what do they want them to say instead? I can't see favourite friend going down any better along with other ways for a child to describe the one they are closest to, other than closest friend, but would that be a problem if someone thought it suggested others were not close?
Maybe “good friend?” Perhaps the kid could describe what makes the friend “best” or “closest.” That way if someone else is interested in being friends they know what to do and the door is open. Like Ted might say “Timmy is my good friend because he eats lunch with me and we talk about video games.” So other kids might know if I go eat lunch with Ted and we talk then I can be a good friend too.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yeah it doesn’t teach the kids much of anything to be saying “no” all the time. Except maybe that school has lots of strange rules.

It’s hard to believe that a teacher would straight up say “Timmy your not allowed to say that.” I would think the teacher would be more like “Timmy remember we say ‘good friend’ when we see someone treating us nicely.”

One way seems like teaching while the other seems like just code enforcement.

Maybe “good friend?” Perhaps the kid could describe what makes the friend “best” or “closest.” That way if someone else is interested in being friends they know what to do and the door is open. Like Ted might say “Timmy is my good friend because he eats lunch with me and we talk about video games.” So other kids might know if I go eat lunch with Ted and we talk then I can be a good friend too.
Yes but could 'good friend' imply that those who aren't the closest friend are bad? I think it could be difficult for a young child to describe their favourite friend in a way that doesn't make them stand out from the rest.

Last edited by newfan; 04-20-2018 at 11:38 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yes but could 'good friend' imply that those who aren't the closest friend are bad?
No. They are just not as good.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm old enough to remember grown-ass adults being buttmad at Livejournal for not having a "subscribe" feature separate from the "friends" feature.

Then again, I also remember elementary school where girls would make entire notebooks of hate for other girls, and then give it to them telling them they should die.

So you know, the internet before there was the internet.
Why wouldn't we want to nip that kind of thing in the bud early?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I don’t see a problem with not encouraging the terms use. As long as a replacement term is offered such as “good friend.” We don’t need to be making it more difficult for children to express themselves by banning words and not offering replacements. Also I would hope the teachers would have discussions about what makes someone a good friend.
I don't understand what is wrong with "the best friend"?
People always will have "best friends", so I absolutely don't see why people need to deny reality again.

Using any other word will be the same thing - if you call cat a fish, it still will be a cat. No matter how it hurts your feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
And what banning "best friend" from use has to do with it?

According to your logic people should have stop using words "friends" altogether, because, that the only way you can stop humans being exclusionary towards some people. But that is hilarious and never will work out - as long as humans exist, they will socialize and get close with like-minded people.
No amount of hand-wringing and crying about hurt feelings won't change that. Denying it basically denying humanity, but on the other hand it's not the first time, when ideological zealots deny reality.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I would legitimately be concerned about the mental health and stability of someone who thinks that the concept of having best friends is bigoted and children must be socially conditioned to reject it.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with "the best friend"? People always will have "best friends", so I absolutely don't see why people need to deny reality again.
I really have no idea. Maybe some may take it as “best” means ranking order. Like “best” is the supreme and most excellent above all others. I would then wonder why keep subpar friendships? Shouldn’t you want all your friends to be “best?” If not they are just acquaintances.

Quote:
Using any other word will be the same thing - if you call cat a fish, it still will be a cat. No matter how it hurts your feelings.
Obviously you have never heard of a catfish.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I really have no idea. Maybe some may take it as “best” means ranking order. Like “best” is the supreme and most excellent above all others. I would then wonder why keep subpar friendships? Shouldn’t you want all your friends to be “best?” If not they are just acquaintances.
Apparently, if I understood it right, the logic behind this decision, is that kids might use "best friend" card to bully others ("You are not my best friend and won't invite you to the birthday party") and to make that all kids are "best friends" for everyone.

Apparently people who brought this idiotic idea forward, have a very lousy idea of how humans actually work.

Children still will socialize, they still will pick up most liked people amongst others. It's inevitable, it's like humanity works - you always have 1-2 special people who are above all others, so to speak. Trying to break this cycle, is basically denying children first steps in socialization.

Concentrating only negatives is hilarious and inept idiocy, which will lead towards more infantilizing children and making them even less prepared for the real world, where most don't give a **** about your personal feelings and not everyone want to be your friend.

Quote:
Obviously you have never heard of a catfish.
Still a fish.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Apparently, if I understood it right, the logic behind this decision, is that kids might use "best friend" card to bully others ("You are not my best friend and won't invite you to the birthday party") and to make that all kids are "best friends" for everyone.

Apparently people who brought this idiotic idea forward, have a very lousy idea of how humans actually work.

Children still will socialize, they still will pick up most liked people amongst others. It's inevitable, it's like humanity works - you always have 1-2 special people who are above all others, so to speak. Trying to break this cycle, is basically denying children first steps in socialization.

Concentrating only negatives is hilarious and inept idiocy, which will lead towards more infantilizing children and making them even less prepared for the real world, where most don't give a **** about your personal feelings and not everyone want to be your friend.
I think it also could be about balance and not shutting people out. Refining those social skills. How often do those “1-2 special people” from childhood stay with you throughout your life. Often people can shelter themselves in a few close relationships and lose out by not being open to others.

I think it’s important to help kids recognize the traits that they find important in a friend. No matter what the term is. Although some terms facilitate the exploring better than others.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Banning kids from saying "best friend" wont change how they act towards others. Next thing you know, they'll try to prevent kids from hanging out with their supposed best friends because of the whole "leaving other kids out" thing.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #16
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I think it also could be about balance and not shutting people out. Refining those social skills. How often do those “1-2 special people” from childhood stay with you throughout your life. Often people can shelter themselves in a few close relationships and lose out by not being open to others.
Children still would do it, no matter how you call it. They still will pick up special people and so on. You or anyone else can't stop it.

The only way you can prevent this, is to physically stop kids interacting with each other and those who they think are special for them, and this is obviously an outright abhorrent idea.

Also, "losing your special people" - so what? Everyone going through this. Stop infatilizing kids. You can't soft cushioning them for the rest of their lives and give them insurance that nothing bad will happen. In a manner of speaking, bad things are good for developing character and strength of will.

Trying to get rid of this will turn kids into weak infantile idiots incapable interacting with the rest of the world. Unless you want to turn the whole world into one big Demolition Man type "Utopia", where even cursing is prohibited and people are treated with soft gloves, like brain damaged children 24/7, which wouldn't work, because, of human nature to resist any type of dictatorship.

Quote:
I think it’s important to help kids recognize the traits that they find important in a friend. No matter what the term is. Although some terms facilitate the exploring better than others.
It won't stop them from having best friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Banning kids from saying "best friend" wont change how they act towards others. Next thing you know, they'll try to prevent kids from hanging out with their supposed best friends because of the whole "leaving other kids out" thing.
Precisely.

An attempt to make everyone equal won't work.
People are not equal. Never were and never will be, unless humanity will start tampering with Eugenics.

Some people are smarter than others, some are more talented, some better at singing, others better at dancing. You can't do nothing about it and denying that is to deny reality itself and treat everyone like they don't have any identifiable traits, since this is the only way to achieve "complete equality".

And even if government will try to do enforce such "equality" they will fail. Actually Soviet Union attempted to facilitate it, by literally purging and ostracizing people who were not fit to be the part of the system (too smart, too talented and as a resulted demands too much and so on).

The result, ironically, was opposite: due to the forced "equality of everyone" USSR technology and science ended up in the shitter, because, all truly talented people were either removed from position where they could bring meaningful changes and those positions were occupied by professional dumb asslickers or escaped from USSR to the other countries. As a result country ended up in trashbin.

So, this is where your "equality of everyone" inevitably leads to: stagnation, death of imagination and individuality. And as a result death of society.

Last edited by Sumac; 04-20-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Children still would do it, no matter how you call it. They still will pick up special people and so on. You or anyone else can't stop it.

The only way you can prevent this, is to physically stop kids interacting with each other and those who they think are special for them, and this is obviously an outright abhorrent idea.

Also, "losing your special people" - so what? Everyone going through this. Stop infatilizing kids. You can't soft cushioning them for the rest of their lives and give them insurance that nothing bad will happen. In a manner of speaking, bad things are good for developing character and strength of will.

Trying to get rid of this will turn kids into weak infantile idiots incapable interacting with the rest of the world. Unless you want to turn the whole world into one big Demolition Man type "Utopia", where even cursing is prohibited and people are treated with soft gloves, like brain damaged children 24/7, which wouldn't work, because, of human nature to resist any type of dictatorship.

It won't stop them from having best friends.
If your under the impression that folks are trying to take friends away, stopping kids from making friends or forming close bonds. Then you have missed the point. No one is wanting to do any of that.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Can't have one kid feeling privileged and another kid feeling inferior now...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

This is retarded.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #20
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The good news is that this is a private, nonprofit preschool for about 30 children. So y'all are welcome to not send whatever spawnings you happen to have to this one school.

The parents in question decided to not send their child there anymore. No harm no foul.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
progress, projecting onto others