The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #61
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I really didn't like this movie. The actors were all great, but the music was awful, the story was awful... it was as if they combined Spider-Man 3's ambitions with the story of The Amazing Spider-Man. My main issues:

- Why the hell did Electro and Rhino have to be shoehorned into the story? They didn't add anything at all.

- More nonsense about Peter's parents. I can't believe they spent ten minutes showing us exactly how they died. I don't care. No one does. Just say they died in a plane crash and leave it at that. And why all the stuff about Richard's secret train track lair? It went absolutely nowhere.

- If you're going to introduce the Black Cat, call her Felicia Hardy instead of just Felicia.

- So, I kind of thought Peter would confront his Ben's killer in this one... I guess that'll never get around to happening in any of the movies at this point.

- Damn. I cannot believe the writers were so amazingly lazy that they stole Electro's origin story from The Spectacular Spider-Man. In fact, Harry being the Goblin rather than Norman seems directly lifted out of the first season of TSSM too. Hmmmmm......

- Geez, Spidey, Max looked up to you and all you did was kill him without remorse in the end. And it was his birthday too.

- That stuff with the planes about to crash into each other was distracting and stupid.

- Why is there a clock tower right next to a power plant? Seriously, does anyone have any explanation to this?

- In The Amazing Spider-Man, Uncle Ben leaves a message on Peter's phone that he doesn't listen to. At the end of the movie, Peter lets someone he loves die and renounces his identity as Spider-Man. But he listens to that phone message during a montage and becomes Spidey again.

In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Gwen says a speech that Peter doesn't listen to. At the end of the movie, Peter lets someone he loves die and renounces his identity as... waitaminute, doesn't this sound familiar?

- That stupid kid at the end... Rhino shoulda trampled him.

- Where's my post-credits scene? The one with Norman's head being cryogenically frozen in a Mr. Freeze-esque fashion (look it up - it's true)? Don't tell me it was replaced with the Days of Future Past BS. #%*# you, Fox Studios.

- Remember when Harry was clueing Peter in to how he and his aunt were being followed by OsCorp? No? Well it was in the trailer (all of them, I think) and I guess they just removed that rather interesting and important subplot from the movie.

- Know what else they cut? Harry asks his dad "What about Peter?" to which Norman replies, "Not everyone has a happy ending." This implies that Harry originally KNEW THE WHOLE TIME that Peter was Spider-Man, if the placement of the scene never changed during editing. Which would have been great for the dynamic between them - it would be especially tense for the audience the first time Harry asks Peter for Spider-Man's blood.

- This whole movie was just a two-hour advertisement for the movie no one wants - The Sinister Six. Yuck!

Like I said, the actors were all great - even the one for the Rhino and his exaggerated accent. They make the crappy dialogue work, but that can't save the movie. The relentless CGI makes it all seem like a video game. There's no real plot, the music is lackluster (SO MUCH DUBSTEP), and holy **** was Electro rapping during his first appearance? I seriously think he was.

And they lifted so much out of The Spectacular Spider-Man. Electro's origin story, the Green Goblin's identity (though it was proven to be Norman in the show) and the idea that all evil comes directly from OsCorp.

That aspect works in the show because a lot of it isn't accidental, but when silly Curt Connors accidentally turns into Lizard using OsCorp technology, and bumbling Max Dillon accidentally turns into Electro due to OsCorp technology, and Gwen happens to work at OsCorp, and Richard happens to have been on the run from OsCorp... it gets so silly.

After the rather boring ASM movie, I was hoping this one would be an improvement... but it makes me despise this franchise even more. At least Spider-Man 3 was entertaining. This was mind-bogglingly boring. No wonder reviews are so mediocre, and it's set to be the lowest-grossing Spidey film of all time. I'm hoping they'll get their act together for the next one... but I doubt it.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

I liked the new movie. Peter Garfield and Emma Stacey had very good and emotional scenes together.

I thought they did a good job with Electro at the beginning of the film, especially when he didn't seem to want to hurt the police officers and was listening to Spidey when he told him to calm down. I'm not sure why they went from him being misunderstood to a full-blown supervillain in the second act of the movie, but eh.

Green Goblin scenes were well done and I got close to teary eyed during some of the emotional moments. Emma Watson's death scene was entirely well done and in my theater I heard a few gasps from the audience who didn't know she would die.

The action scenes were top notch and I fully enjoyed the Spidey/Electro fights. I am not a huge Spiderman fan in that I have never read the comics but I think anyone who is not an obsessive fanboy can enjoy the movie for what it is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #63
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

I thought this movie was good. It's not the best Spider-man film (that'll have to go to the movie from 10 years ago), but I thought that it was more of a Spider-Man movie than Amazing Spider-man 1.

The dynamic and relation between Gwen and Peter I thought was perfect, and it's not surprising since they are going out with each other in real life.

The Spidey Suit is perfect. It looks better than any other live action Spider-man suit so far. Andrew Garfield is brilliant as Spider-man, but I think his Peter could be improved.

Spoiler:
I don't like how Green Goblin was portrayed at all. I mean seriously? Shoe horn him into the last 10 minutes? I also think that Rhino should have been the rhino at the beginning of the movie, instead of the end

I also think that all these Spider-man movies are portraying the villian fights wrong. In the Spidey comics, especially the 60s comics, when Spidey fights a villian, it's usually a small but lengthly fight that only a small part of the city knows about, and the fight usually has a very small amount of damage to buildings.

All the Spider-man movies so far have been widscale or the whole city knows about.

Overall, I would give this movie 7.5/10
Old 05-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still don't get how they choose the villains they go with for the movies. I mean, Electro? Out of all the villains to get a movie debut they choose him? Not to mention he looks nothing like his comic/cartoon design where he's a white guy with a green and yellow suit.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #65
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I still don't get how they choose the villains they go with for the movies. I mean, Electro? Out of all the villains to get a movie debut they choose him? Not to mention he looks nothing like his comic/cartoon design where he's a white guy with a green and yellow suit.
He looks like he does in the Ultimate comics. The Green and Yellow costume is long gone in most books.

But I guess you'll get hung up on the whole black guy thing.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #66
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I kinda wish Electro hadn't gone full blown villain right away but meh.
To me it felt a bit rushed the way he went from confused forever alone guy to I hate Spider-man because he stole my audience and everyone loves him. Aside from that He was a very credible villain that had a great design and was just menacing. He was pretty much the driving force of the story. How the hell did he get that outfit all out of nowhere?
I thought Green Goblin was really well done. I felt bad for Harry because he was just desperate for a cure and just kinda went mad with it. The Parkers' demise was interesting (to me) an d I like how it gave you a reason as to why the venom would only work on Peter and not the Osbornes (not even Ozzie, and he snorts ants). Rhino should not have been the last scene and X-men shouldn't have even been there.
Stone and Garfield work so well as Parker and Stacy. Overall I enjoyed it, little things bothered me but overall it was a good time.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #67
CyberCubed
Overlord

I find it funny there were so many gasps in my theater about Gwen Stacey dying. Many of the people at my theater were Moms with children or young teenage girls around 14-15 years old.

Since obviously none of them were comic book fans they probably all didn't know Gwen Stacey was going to die. I bet some of those little girls idolized Gwen Stacey and/or Emma Stone and didn't expect her to die.

As I was walking out of the theater I saw a 14 year old girl say the movie sucked because Gwen Stacey died. lol.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #68
bone
Random Punk

It kind of just felt like an obligatory sequel. It kind of sucks, because it's not like it's impossible to handle sequels well in the super hero genre. (e.g. Winter Soldier, the first Spiderman II was great IMO.) I didn't hate it, but there were quite a few small things I nitpicked that bothered me. The music, the cheesy and out of place jokes, bits of the dialogue that made me cringe, like, "I BREAK UP WITH YOU". I think all of the actors in the movie are great OUTSIDE of this movie. I also didn't like how they handled Peter's relationship with Gwen and Harry in this.

Also, Rhino at the end...

):
Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #69
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
As I was walking out of the theater I saw a 14 year old girl say the movie sucked because Gwen Stacey died. lol.
Really? I thought it was the highlight of the movie - it made me feel like the two hours I spent watching weren't totally wasted.

They should kill off one of the annoying girlfriends, like Jane Foster or Pepper Potts.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #70
CyberCubed
Overlord

Young teenagers and Moms with kids obviously never knew Gwen Stacey would die as they have no knowledge about the comics.

I can see why young girls would hate a movie if the female lead they like died. Remember Emma Stone is a very popular actress, they probably care for the actress more than Gwen Stacey.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #71
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
They should kill off one of the annoying girlfriends, like Jane Foster or Pepper Potts.
Funny thing is, the original comics version of Gwen was an annoying girlfriend
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #72
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Funny thing is, the original comics version of Gwen was an annoying girlfriend
Oh, I don't think so. It was always very frustrating to see her get mad at Peter for missing special events without knowing it was because of his duties as Spider-Man, but she was a very smart and likable character overall.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #73
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Oh, I don't think so. It was always very frustrating to see her get mad at Peter for missing special events without knowing it was because of his duties as Spider-Man, but she was a very smart and likable character overall.
She was a prickly daddy's girl, an ice queen when she started out, she loathed Spider-Man because she pinned George's death on him, and she became increasingly blander over time in comparison to the true star of the female supporting cast (MJ) . There's a reason they killed her off in the first place and there's also a reason that her death and one night stand with Norman Osborn are the only two things of note she's remembered for. Webb's movies basicly had to signifciantly tweek her in order to make her even remotely likeable and interesting
Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #74
TheSkeletonMan939

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
her ... one night stand with Norman Osborn
That doesn't count; that was decided twenty years later when they were running out of ideas.

You have a point; but the reason MJ was made so popular in the comics after Gwen died was so that they could give Peter a girlfriend who would know that Spidey was Peter (because come on, can Peter really marry someone who doesn't know his identity?).
Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #75
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am hoping for a Rifftrax of this, but it seems we do have a Cinema Sins take already! Its pretty entertaining. https://tv.yahoo.com/news/cinema-sin...215400068.html
Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #76
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I thought AS2 was ok, I liked the fact that Gwen was killed off, (in both comics and movie) it adds depth to spidy's character. He can't keep fighting all these villians and walk away with everything being rosey lee.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #77
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
That doesn't count; that was decided twenty years later when they were running out of ideas.

You have a point; but the reason MJ was made so popular in the comics after Gwen died was so that they could give Peter a girlfriend who would know that Spidey was Peter (because come on, can Peter really marry someone who doesn't know his identity?).
Okay, can someone explain to me how and why would Gwen, a teenage girl, would sleep with an older man?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #78
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Okay, can someone explain to me how and why would Gwen, a teenage girl, would sleep with an older man?
Same reason any other teenage girls sleep with older men? Not exactly unheard of ya know. How much older was Norman back in the 60s or whatever anyway?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #79
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think anyone who is not an obsessive fanboy can enjoy the movie for what it is.
Nope not true. I am not a Spider-Man fanboy by any means but I agree with all of TheSkeletonMan939's point as to why this movie was really, really bad.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #80
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
the reason MJ was made so popular in the comics after Gwen died was so that they could give Peter a girlfriend who would know that Spidey was Peter (because come on, can Peter really marry someone who doesn't know his identity?).
MJ was popular because the fans loved her, and she dated Peter for a while without his identity ever being brought up, then they wrote her out of the books for a few years, shortly after she turned down Peter's first proposal of marraige. Keep in mind that, at the time, MJ knowing who Peter was had not been retroactively added yet by the writers. That revelation ultimately made her actions near the end of her original run make a bit more sense, but we did'nt learn that for years.

In the 80s, Peter was involved with Black Cat at the time MJ confessed she always knew he was Spider-Man, and Felicia by that point already knew his identity as well. Marvel simply made her a confidant in order to enhance the drama. Marrying them was entirely Stan Lee's idea. Marvel's original plans for the wedding issue was to have MJ leave Peter at the alter because of how uncertain she was about Peter's activities as Spider-Man. Plans changed at the last minute because Stan was going to marry them off in the newspaper strip regardless and made a big publicity stunt out of it. While the pair had been dating seriously in the daily strips for years. Peter and MJ were'nt even dating in the regular comics, indeed in the span of about a few issues, Peter goes from dating Felicia, to breaking up with her, to proposing to MJ, to having a delayed answer, to having an answer, and then a wife.

In the daily strips, MJ never knew Peter was Spider-Man until Peter confessed shortly before they married, where the regular comics established she had known since the begining.

I agree, "Sins Past" should'nt count...you're easily forgiven for not counting anything past the 90s as canon, I'm in the same boat, for me, the real timeline is either the newspaper strip (where Peter and MJ are still married) or the Spider-Girl timeline (where they're still married and have kids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Peter's science teacher Miles Warren (The Jackal) had a crush on Gwen and one of his clones even married the original clone of Gwen (yes, I hate comics sometimes)

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-03-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Tags
spider-man