The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Ninja Turtles Reboot ‘Easily’ Best Turtles Movie Yet, Co-Creator Says

Quote:
As fans react negatively to just about everything about the upcoming Michael Bay-produced Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, from the shortening of the name to simply Ninja Turtles to the change in the characters’ origins to the production delay, there’s at least one person who remains excited about the project: TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman.

“From what I’ve seen, it’s easily the best Turtle movie yet,” Eastman told MTV. “We’re talking Raid: Redemption-style fight scenes; we’re talking about epic Rise of the Planet of the Apes sort of effects.”

He said he isn’t sure how the Turtles themselves will actually be shot, but did address the new release date, saying, “A lot of people are worried we pushed the release date from December to May, but the 30th anniversary of the Turtles is in May, so it worked out perfectly.”

Saying he has faith in Bay’s vision for the franchise, Eastman compared the reboot to the changes made to Marvel’s Avengers over the years. “Every person that’s grown up inspired by that material wants to put their stamp on it a little bit,” Eastman said. “It just keeps getting better and better, and to have that opportunity is pretty awesome.”
Source (CBR)

I'm glad he is excited about it an has so much faith. My favorite up until now is still the first live action film. This new film has a LOT to live up to.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Mona_Lisa
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Source (CBR)

I'm glad he is excited about it an has so much faith. My favorite up until now is still the first live action film. This new film has a LOT to live up to.
Thanks for sharing, it does sound promising. I'm very excited... I'm excited Kevin is excited. But to think I'll be 30 when this movie comes out makes me feel....old.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action

So, even Eastman thinks Bay is directing?

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Ravenxl7
Stone Warrior

It's very comforting to know that Eastman is happy with the direction that they are taking the new movie. Granted, I doubt he would come out and put it down (that's what Laird is for), but I also doubt that he would say that he's happy with it, without that being true.

As for the change in release date, I hadn't realized that it's the 30th anniversary. That's a nice little bonus. Christmas never did make sense as the release date anyways, so even without the anniversary, May makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Kevin's always been able to see the good in things, and it's a good stance to take.

Blimey, The Raid seems to be the flavour of the month right now, first Dredd apes it's plot, now this movie's aping it's fight style.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Bob
Stone Warrior

I posted this on Sunday: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=38288

In all fairness, I suppose the title of this thread is catchier.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is the same Eastman who thought Venus was a good idea as well as the Next Mutation.

I have my doubts.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Maybe his definition of best is what pays the best? *shrug*

I have mixed (leaning towards negative in most cases) feelings on Bay's Transformers films, so I can only be cautious here as well.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
So, even Eastman thinks Bay is directing?
No he doesn't. Where did you get that from?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
1984TMNT
Stone Warrior

If you're un-familiar with the movies he's comparing the new movie to, here's a sample:

The Raid: Redemption (for action quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (for special effects / how the Turtles will most likely be handled and portrayed in the film):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaK6khs8aMw

If this is true, it certainly sounds promising. Hoping they don't mess with the origin much <ahem>no aliens, please<ahem>

1984TMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
ToTheNines
[sic]

Meh.

IDW and the Nickelodeon show have me very happy right now. I care nothing for this movie, or the people it hurts!
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
No he doesn't. Where did you get that from?
Joshin', dude. The way Eastman is spotlighting Bay kinda implies he's back-seat directing though.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Zog the Equalizer
Stone Warrior

I will remain cautiously optimistic until this movie actually comes out. Even if all the news is making it hard to stay that way...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

Eastman never says anything bad about the Turtles and most of that interview seemed like he was just blowing smoke anyway. One minute he was talking about the mind blowing effects and the next he was talking about how they hadn't really done anything yet.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Long story short, Kevin thinks the FX will be good and of course, duh, they will be... Because FX have come a long way since the 90's.

Everything else is up in the air.

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
Eastman never says anything bad about the Turtles and most of that interview seemed like he was just blowing smoke anyway. One minute he was talking about the mind blowing effects and the next he was talking about how they hadn't really done anything yet.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Long story short, Kevin thinks the FX will be good and of course, duh, they will be... Because FX have come a long way since the 90's.

Everything else is up in the air.
Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner folks.

Sorry, but this is exactly what I thought when I first read the title. Is Kevin really gonna come out and say: "This is the worst piece of Turtles related garbage I've seen, and I green lit Venus De Milo..."? Heck no. Nothing against Kevin, I have nothing but respect for him and his place in the franchise, but he's totally being used by the PTB to try and appease leery fans, because "OMG Kevin Eastman said so, so it's OK, guys!"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

And who wouldn't be stoked to see their own creation getting a high budget movie.

Unless you are Alan Moore of course
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #17
Bob
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
Joshin', dude. The way Eastman is spotlighting Bay kinda implies he's back-seat directing though.
To be fair, he did mention that Jonathan Liebesman was directing.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

If you set your self up to hate it, your going to hate it. You set your self up to like it, surprise your going to like it. It is what is called a self fulfilling prophesy. I think people are getting way to worked up about the movie. I'm with Kevin on this, it's going to be good.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I dunna Hob, you can totally psyche yourself up TOO much. I'm pretty neutral ATM. I don't get all the pointless Bay-rage but I'm also still very concerned about the prospect (however slight) of alien Turtles. I'm just taking Kevin's enthusiasm with an entire shaker of salt.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Slade
god status

I'm with Jester. Even though when I first saw previews I knew I'd hate it, I went into Dragonball Evolution with high hopes and that was the biggest crock of s*** I've ever seen. So yeah, you cam psyche yourself up too high.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kevin eastman, live-action films