The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #61
Casual Matt
Foot Soldier

I can honestly say this episode was not as bad as I thought it would be. It's certainly better than Incredible Shrinking Serling. I had to strain to find things I liked about that episode. Although I do wish this one pushed the Shredder plot forward, it seems Splinter should be back soon.

Hun turning out to be the Elfinator was an eye rolling moment for me, as was his confession to being a gamer, but him threatening to rip his goon's tongue out if he told anybody made the whole scene worth it.

Also, did anybody else think that the Ferryman could have turned out to be Draco. It must have been the cloak, and the general reference to dragons throughout the episode. I kept hoping Draco would show up. But I guess he's still dead.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #62
Guitar_Raph
Superhero musician

First, Mikey's outfit was so super cool! But the best part of the episode, Raph singing!

Raph the frog singing a variation of an old tune (By The Light of The Silvery Moon). It's more of a tribute to Michigan J. Frog (Warner Brothers cartoon character; One Froggy Evening, former WB mascot).

And I thought only Mikey would have the guts to sing! What next, Raph playing guitar or Mikey playing the drums?

Mikey drums with nunchucks!

Last edited by Guitar_Raph; 11-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Guitar_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #63
nimrod
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Matt View Post

Also, did anybody else think that the Ferryman could have turned out to be Draco. It must have been the cloak, and the general reference to dragons throughout the episode. I kept hoping Draco would show up. But I guess he's still dead.
Actually I had thought that also. I couldn't figure out how that would work but when I saw that mysterious NPC guy I thought about Draco.

During the episode, we were sitting and thinking about the characters these could be- The elfinator, the NPC and the ultimate gamer (before we knew they were the same).

I didn't think the elfinator would be anybody. I thought the ultimate gamer could be Baxter or maybe April or Casey.

All in all, I liked the episode. Yeah it didn't really do anything storyline-wise except for the data bits. But it was a highly entertaining episode. I suppose if you don't know people like that, it wouldn't be as funny. I laughed out loud with the elfinator calling people "noobs" and saying "pwned" because I know people that talk like that. We were also laughing at the HP / MP meter above the dragons head. Of course, the big reveal at the end for the Elfinator was hilarious. I was laughing out loud for about 5 minutes.
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #64
Drtooth
Foot Elite

Quote:

Quote:
How is this considered filler? The whole point of the season is to put Splinter back together, and that's what they were doing in this episode.
They can do that without throwing what seems to be continous birthday parties for a retarded eight year old child
Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, I think we started off on a dramatic note, Don faulting himself for the whole thing, and then dealing with it. And I feel that up until the last few episodes, the season has been pretty tight, especially Hacking Stockman and The Engagement Ring.

The last couple of episodes had potential, but they didn't give it enough time to flourish into something strong. I liked the idea of the Turtles working for the Foot, and attacking the Purple Dragons, but when they got to that part, the episode was almost over, and we didn't get to see what we should have... basically a sequence before the turtles donned Foot gear and no one knew anything was wrong. it needed some sort of confrontation from Hun.

I also liked the bit about Cyber Shredder trying to come out of the cyberworld, but we wasted a good 5 minutes of the Turtles running around, riding Skateboards... and by the time Shredder was ready to come out of the cyber realm, there was 2 minutes left.

I thought that with 13 episodes, they'd at least be focused... but ever since the Serling episode, it really lost its goals. I think they could have done a better job blending the cyber and reality bits together.

Though, I can't help thinking... if they went with the Cyberworld completely, ALL the episodes would have been like this. No, worse! We would have had the annoying Baby Turtles running around.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #65
maryshine
Foot Soldier

I enjoy this season. It isn't like the early seasons but it is so much better than FF.

Having Hun as the Eflanator was great! Wonder if they will ever know....
maryshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #66
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneras713 View Post
And in some ways, she's like their mother.
And in every way, he's a f***ing Turtle.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 AM   #67
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
And in every way, he's a f***ing Turtle.
Oh my goodness, laughed out loud for a full minute reading that.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #68
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshine View Post
I enjoy this season. It isn't like the early seasons but it is so much better than FF.
No it's not, if you seriously think this, you should, by all accounts, be a fan of Fast Forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S View Post
Why does everyone have such a weird obsession with Donatello being paired with April? My God, they're like siblings to one another! That's creepy!
My wife and I argue like siblings, and considering I've known her since I was three, there's hardly anything "creepy" about it.

Hell, a lot of couples begin with a sibling-like bond
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #69
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Zarius, I never knew you were married.

What makes April and Donnie creepy is like Cipher said, He's a large anthropomorphic Turtle. (Ok, so Cipher didn't say that...exactly...but you know. )

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #70
gothangel
Random Punk

lol wow I never would have expected them to be making fun of gamers.

This epsiode I thought was acutally cute and funny! I loved it when was Raph was singing for the record Raph can't sing and that is what made it so funny! bahaha!

I certainly hope not all episodes are like this but I don't mind every once in a while a funny random episode pops up.
gothangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #71
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
No it's not, if you seriously think this, you should, by all accounts, be a fan of Fast Forward.
I completely agree Zarius. There is no possible way I can fathom that can make someone say this season is better than Fast Forward (except for being so fan-giddy over TMNT still being on tv that it clouds their judgement). What makes it better? Sure...Casey, April and Shredder are back....but who cares when they are all shells of their former selves? The animation is equally as bad (if not worse than FF), the Cyberworld is an exact replica of how they were in FF, and the one and only benefit BTTS has over FF is that they have their traditional gear back (and even then, it's not like they use it or you see it much with all their ridiculous costume changes and lack of decent battles). The whole Splinter storyline sucks....it was fine for like 4 episodes but now it's very tiresome....(either get him back quickly or let him die and be gone from the series). With 13 episodes of this (with so many bullcrap episodes thrown in) they are doing absolutely nothing except flushing this once great series down the toilet.

Please, PLEASE stop saying that this season is "so much better than FF". Or at very least have the ability to provide proof as to why you think it is "so much better" because I sure as hell haven't seen it yet. With as much as I hate FF, I can confidently say that the episodes "Fly Me To The Moon", "Bad Blood", "Timing Is Everything", "Enter The Jammerhead" (fighting wise...the Starlee/parent thing nearly destroys it though), "DNA Is Thicker Than Water" and "The Day Of Awakening" have ALL slaughtered even the very best episode (so far) from BTTS. And even if BTTS is "better" it still doesn't even remotely compare with the nearly flawless 2003 1-4 seasons. It's like some of you have entirely forgotten how much more superior that series was and some of you are simply so excited that TMNT is still on tv that it makes your shortterm judgement of these episodes completely overexaggerated.

As far as this episode goes....well lets just say I was about to give up completely with this whole series after it aired. When Raph started dancing/singing as a frog I was utterly so embarassed to be watching it that I had to shut off the television so no one else heard it. I am holding out a slight bit of hope for next weekend's episode based on the previews, however, with the monumental disappointment this season has been so far, I am very much prepared for yet another dose of supersuck.
Jack

Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 11-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #72
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I hope they release this season on DVD in half seasons so I can buy only the first half of the season.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #73
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior

though I do agree that in these few episodes this season seems to be dropping the ball, why is so hard to understand that some people are still enjoying BTTS? And might like it better than FF.
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #74
Tomoshibi Amatsu
Hench Mutant

Honestly I think the reason I like Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers is BECAUSE I don't compare it to the past five seasons.

After all at the end of the Ninja Tribunal arc I felt that it was "the end." Sure FF and BTTS follow the continuity but they're completely different shows compared to the first five seasons. So I don't think there's a reason to compare them at all. In all honesty it seems that a lot of the enjoyment for FF and BTTS is lost because people are saying they aren't as serious and dark as the past seasons were. If that's the case then forget the first five seasons and take FF and BTTS as they are. A new direction that while connected to the main series is essentially more of a continuation of an already wrapped up series.

Cause honestly if you don't think there was a happily ever after ending at the end of the whole ninja tribunal ordeal then you're nuts. So just look at FF and BTTS seperately from the first five seasons. Chances are you'll probably change your mind about them, and if not then I don't really know what to tell you then.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #75
kerfootw
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
"Fly Me To The Moon"
Not really.

Quote:
"Bad Blood"
No.

Quote:
"Timing Is Everything"
Yes!

Quote:
"Enter The Jammerhead" (fighting wise...the Starlee/parent thing nearly destroys it though)
Sorry, nothing could save that crap.

Quote:
"DNA Is Thicker Than Water"
Not quite.

Quote:
"The Day Of Awakening"
Sure.
kerfootw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #76
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
Please, PLEASE stop saying that this season is "so much better than FF". Or at very least have the ability to provide proof as to why you think it is "so much better" because I sure as hell haven't seen it yet. With as much as I hate FF, I can confidently say that the episodes "Fly Me To The Moon", "Bad Blood", "Timing Is Everything", "Enter The Jammerhead" (fighting wise...the Starlee/parent thing nearly destroys it though), "DNA Is Thicker Than Water" and "The Day Of Awakening" have ALL slaughtered even the very best episode (so far) from BTTS.
I'm inclided to agree here. Much of FF's quality was down to Marty Isenberg and a few others, but when FF's second season was pulled, the writers strike hit, and then Isenberg became head writer of Transformers Animated, I think if he had stayed, BTTS probably wouldnt have been dragged down into the gutter. I can't beleive Joe Kelly isnt script-editing either, especially since he wrote "Timing is Everything" and one of the best episodes of BTTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
why is so hard to understand that some people are still enjoying BTTS? And might like it better than FF.
Because people are sheep.

Example:

"Oh, boo hoo, the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers are gone, I'm never watching the later seasons, even if some of them probably evolve the series and concept with edgier storylines, mature themes, I dread change, I want to go back to the good old days...if they do, even if they still have the same episode quality as the seasons I supposedly dislike...there back to normal wearing the same suits and being in the same city, so I'll EMBRACE this quality that I pretended to hate in the first place YAY"

"Oh boo hoo, Star Trek was cancelled, I'm never watching JJ Abrams movie, even if it might succesfully rejuvenate the franchise and concept, I want to go back to the good old days...if they do, even if it might have the same quality of the movie I supposedly choose to dislike, there back to normal wearing the same suits and being on a full-scale non CGI rendered model TOY, so I'll EMBRACE this quality that I pretended to hate in the first place, YAY"

See a PATTERN here?

You and the BTTS fans are proving that it was the SURROUNDINGS, not the QUALITY, that you didnt like. Now that we're back in the present, you're eating up the EXACT SAME BLOODY BADLY-WRITTEN GARBAGE#

How does it feel? How does it feel that any critic of FF now won't be taken seriously when BTTS is eaten up by them? There's scarsely any difference. The irony is that Vaugh dislikes BTTS when he's a FF fanboy (it's easy to assume he misses the kind of fun that Isenberg and the last group gave it, where as this current writing team comprises of Disney talent, DISNEY TALENT, and other obscure writers)

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-16-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #77
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerfootw View Post
-Stuff-

Was this necessary?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #78
Cipher
Foot Elite

I agree with both Zarius and Tomoshibi Amatsu. The best way to enjoy Fast Foward and/or Back to the Sewer is to view them as seperate pieces, and acknowledge that they are, in fact, kids' shows. That's how I view it and in that vein I enjoy them both.

The fact remains, however, that people continue to praise this season and bash last season despite very similar writing. In all honesty, I find Fast Foward slightly more enjoyable. It's more charming, creative, and at least follows a consistant tone. I've seen the most ridiculous arguments as to why Back to the Sewer is better, such as "It has more explosions!" or "The animation is better!" (It's not. Anyone with a remotely discerning eye can see that.)

The real reason people like it better: it's in the past. Well la-de-da. I'm down with people slightly preferring either season six or seven to the other (as I do), but you can't despise one and love the other.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #79
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Another thing I hate is how dumb half these "reviews" are...

"Oh, it's soooo funny when Raph tries to sing, Mikey looks cool, Hun's character-destroying revelation was funny"....THESE ARE ACTUAL EPISODE MERITS?

Cipher, let's not forget that when FF began, it BEGAN...as in 4Kids, MIRAGE, everyone gave it a crash-course in marketing. In 2006 to 2007, we had Simon Furman writing a FF comic strip (thus he's now written for every major U.S toy franchise ever), we had diverse blogs from talent artists working on the FF strip, the ratings for FF were amongst the highest in the series history, regardless of "once in a blue moon classics", FF was seen as a labour of love, a united front.

BTTS is not seen as that at all by 4Kids, or Playmates...or even MIRAGE. It is the bastard love child conceived at the carnivale, a combination of heated board room meetings, failed pitches, and wasted energy, coupled with inexperianced writers, a troubled comic, and designers who are hanging all hope on a "special" that seems to be comfort food more for themselves since everything else has made them disgustingly fat with depression.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-16-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #80
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

How does Hun being an uber-gamer make for a "Character destroying revelation" I laughed.

I agree, BttS isn't any better than >>, both seasons have thei hits and misses and will never really stack up with the great episodes from the first 4 seasons, but like others have said, I've never really hated anything the entire 2k3 series has done, including BttS and >>, just liked them less.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4kids, episode discussion