The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 AM   #461
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Mediocrity to you, maybe. But maybe this is exactly what people want out of a superhero movie.
So what you're telling me is you ADMIT people are easily pleased sheep? Good to know. You ought to be doing something about that, but good to know.

Quote:
Fun, action, drama, high stakes, and a good moral lesson at the end
There's no sense of drama because of the same f*cking jokes, the stakes are non-existent, but hey, there's that all important MORAL right? The one nobody cares about because it's never really emphasised, because, again, due to all the damn f*cking jokes.

Go ahead and settle for mediocrity from your New Kids albums, just know you're the kind that is killing quality in cape movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
^ This 1000%. I agree with you fully Krutch, in how I think a CBM should look, feel, and entertain FIRST, and then maybe if they can make it something meaningful and deep, go for that extra mile. But it's neither necessary, nor even really expected in a movie about guys (and gals!) running around in tights saving the world.
I'm surprised at you Duckie, considering you've voiced your dislike over the state of comics because they're nothing but trippy quirky tumblr clickbait, you're gonna sell out and say the movies should reflect that?

I don't know, I see people constantly rag on the current TMNT movies for the same things they forgive Marvel for...hypocritical favouritism like that just annoys me.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 04-23-2016 at 03:32 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 AM   #462
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Jeez Zarius, you start to sounds like guys that call comics graphic novels to feel better about reading them.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:08 AM   #463
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Jeez Zarius, you start to sounds like guys that call comics graphic novels to feel better about reading them.
I prefer calling them "funnies" nowadays
Old 04-23-2016, 04:43 AM   #464
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't know, I see people constantly rag on the current TMNT movies for the same things they forgive Marvel for...hypocritical favouritism like that just annoys me.
The current tmnt movies are even more disrespectful to their source material than Arrow is...
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #465
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
So what you're telling me is you ADMIT people are easily pleased sheep? Good to know. You ought to be doing something about that, but good to know.
I think there's a miscommunication here. I've read superhero comics all my life(well, kinda bailed out 5 years ago if we're being honest). What I'm seeing on screen is a very good representation of what are inside superhero comics. I'm not sure what the hell you're looking for in these movies, to be honest. It's like if they crack a couple jokes for levity suddenly the whole movie is cheapened or dumbed down to you. Not sure what to tell you, man. Not all stories are The Killing Joke or Watchmen. The vast, vast majority of cape and cowl comics are right in line with what you're seeing on screen.

Quote:
There's no sense of drama because of the same f*cking jokes, the stakes are non-existent, but hey, there's that all important MORAL right? The one nobody cares about because it's never really emphasised, because, again, due to all the damn f*cking jokes.
You're seriously butchering your own case here when you say things like this.

No stakes?

So when The Avengers have to put aside their differences to stop an incoming alien invasion from destroying the world, there's no stakes?
When Captain America discovers the organization he's pledged allegiance to has been infected by a shadowy group from his past, while also learning that his best friend growing up is still alive and is now working for said shadowy group, there's no stakes?
When Ant-Man has to save his daughter from a man whose hellbent on selling powerful technology to an organization intent on enslaving the world there's no stakes?
When the GotG were trying to keep a gem that would given someone literally unlimited power and could wipe out galaxies... there's no stakes?
When a Civil War is the aftermath of all that came before and heroes being forced to choose sides and fight best friends to stand by their beliefs... theres no stakes?

Y'know, better yet, give me some movies that have real stakes in your eyes.

Quote:
Go ahead and settle for mediocrity from your New Kids albums, just know you're the kind that is killing quality in cape movies.
Thats twice you've brought up New Kids on the Block albums. Ooookayyy...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
^ This 1000%. I agree with you fully Krutch, in how I think a CBM should look, feel, and entertain FIRST, and then maybe if they can make it something meaningful and deep, go for that extra mile. But it's neither necessary, nor even really expected in a movie about guys (and gals!) running around in tights saving the world.
Thanks I mean I love sophisticated storytelling, and if you can pull it off, shoot for the sky! But one glance over at BvS trying too hard and taking itself too seriously, you realize they need to maintain a sense of fun and wonder. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are smart, fun movies while still being dark, and even thats a bit of a cop out answer since it's so immensely grounded in reality that Nolan has gone on record saying Superman could never exist in that universe.

Personally, I think all it takes is one or two movies taking themselves far too seriously and failing at it to put an end to all the superhero movies. I have a feeling Marvel knows this and is why they're sticking to formula. Like I said, you can knock them for playing it safe, but thats about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Well said.

Last edited by Krutch; 04-23-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #466
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

I'm surprised at you Duckie, considering you've voiced your dislike over the state of comics because they're nothing but trippy quirky tumblr clickbait, you're gonna sell out and say the movies should reflect that?

I've voiced my dislike for the state of Marvel NOW (and for about the past 7 years or so). But what we're seeing in the movies is far more in line with how they were pre-Dark Avengers/BND. The era I actually LIKE. The current crop of Marvel titles are utter garbage (at least the ones I've read), but the movies are using storylines from the past, all of which are now considered iconic stories- Civil War (like it or hate it, it's a major part of the Marvel history now), Infinity Gauntlet- which is what ALL of this has built up to so far- even Raimi's Spidey did it with the Spider-Man No More plot in 2. We've had Capsicle, Ultron (and I actually kind of liked him, with his Pinocchio-like "daddy" issues) and some really great character moments from Widow, Banner, Hawkeye, Stark, Rhodey, and even Thor. There's a lot there to like, if you're not being snobbishly critical about these films. (Not meaning you, per se, but let's be honest here, these are NOT meant to be "perfect" adaptations of those stories. They are simply a loose, fun take intended to be enjoyed by fans and non-fans alike.) As slavishly faithful adaptations of the source material, they may "suck", but as crowd-pleasing, fun takes on that same material, they are GREAT!!

This is a FAR cry from what's been done with PDMNT. Those are just all over the place in terms of what they TRIED to shove in to pretend they know what fans wanted, without any consistency or rationale behind it, or even a story that makes sense. MOST of the MCU has been MILES above that in terms of storytelling, even if the stories are fairly simple and formulaic- which, to be brutally honest, is the kind of stories MOST comics tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I think there's a miscommunication here. I've read superhero comics all my life(well, kinda bailed out 5 years ago if we're being honest). What I'm seeing on screen is a very good representation of what are inside superhero comics. I'm not sure what the hell you're looking for in these movies, to be honest. It's like if they crack a couple jokes for levity suddenly the whole movie is cheapened or dumbed down to you. Not sure what to tell you, man. Not all stories are The Killing Joke or Watchmen. The vast, vast majority of cape and cowl comics are right in line with what you're seeing on screen.

You're seriously butchering your own case here when you say things like this.

No stakes?

So when The Avengers have to put aside their differences to stop an incoming alien invasion from destroying the world, there's no stakes?
When Captain America discovers the organization he's pledged allegiance to has been infected by a shadowy group from his past, while also learning that his best friend growing up is still alive and is now working for said shadowy group, there's no stakes?
When Ant-Man has to save his daughter from a man whose hellbent on selling powerful technology to an organization intent on enslaving the world there's no stakes?
When the GotG were trying to keep a gem that would given someone literally unlimited power and could wipe out galaxies... there's no stakes?
When a Civil War is the aftermath of all that came before and heroes being forced to choose sides and fight best friends to stand by their beliefs... theres no stakes?

Y'know, better yet, give me some movies that have real stakes in your eyes.

Thats twice you've brought up New Kids on the Block albums. Ooookayyy...?

Thanks I mean I love sophisticated storytelling, and if you can pull it off, shoot for the sky! But one glance over at BvS trying too hard and taking itself too seriously, you realize they need to maintain a sense of fun and wonder. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are smart, fun movies while still being dark, and even thats a bit of a cop out answer since it's so immensely grounded in reality that Nolan has gone on record saying Superman could never exist in that universe.

Personally, I think all it takes is one or two movies taking themselves far too seriously and failing at it to put an end to all the superhero movies. I have a feeling Marvel knows this and is why they're sticking to formula. Like I said, you can knock them for playing it safe, but thats about it.

Well said.

Again, 1000% agreed to all of this. I'd LOVE to see a kick-butt take on the DCU, but sadly, this current slate of DCCU movies doesn't look like it will deliver that. They are too preachy, too grim-dark for the sake of being "gritty" and serious, and just feel too much like they want to do Shakespeare when they are only adapting Jack Kirby, Mark Miller, and Alan Moore. Or whomever else they are pulling from. Now, MAYBE if they ever get Strazynski or Peter David mixed in there, they might actually have some fun, great movies, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Just because the film has a few one-liners doesn't mean it can't still be serious and have impact, but when even the titular main character (who is known for optimism, fairness, compassion, and a sense of justice and duty) never so much as cracks a smile or has any other expression but something akin to constipation or possibly a case of terminal apathy, there's a problem.

Marvel may make jokes in a fight at times, (duh- half the characters are snarky to begin with) but at least they don't all have sticks up their butts, as Star Lord so eloquently put it. Actually, I think his story to Gamora sums up the difference between the MCU and DCCU's perfectly....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #467
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I want to like DC stuff, but there hasn't been a decent non-animated DC movie since Burton's first Batman with Keaton. You want to talk animated...and DC wins that "war" dead to rights.

I've always been more of a Marvel-gal, because to me DC characters are more like buildings than people. And the only real exposure I had to them as a kid were the Reeves movies, and I hated Hackman's Luthor. I had no patience for incompetent villains then, and I still don't now.

The Marvel movies keep to the spirit of the books, and that's why they work. The first X-men movie wasn't a great movie story-wise,...but I'll be damned if the cast didn't mostly nail their performances. I was too stoked about how amazing Jackman was as Wolverine to really care how bizarre the whole Doomsday Device Whee We're All Mutants! endgame was.

If that makes me a sheep, then baaaaaa motherf*cker.

The first Spider-Man movie was great. The second one looked like it was made by committee...and was less great. The third one was...well, that was a thing that happened.

I wanted to like the Garfield Spidey, mostly because I thought he was a much better Spidey than Toby....who was a great Parker, I thought. But the plot was just composed of elements that don't work for me personally.
I'm not a huge fan of the neat-and-tidy way of storytelling. Where there's no random because everything is connected some how. It feels way too contrived.

(Which is one of the reasons why I dislike the PDMNT movie: it basically swiped the plot of the Spidey reboot.)

As for the MCU: It works for me because it's made me care about characters I didn't give a moment's notice to before. I've never read Avengers. Or Thor. Or Iron-Man. In fact...I still don't.

I watched Incredible Hulk as a kid, but couldn't tell you the plot of any given episode.

I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea. I happen to like them. Are they perfect? No. But they make about as much sense as the Marvel Universe does at any given time, so I let it slide.

Again, if this makes me a sheep...then baaaa.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:53 AM   #468
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
You don't think for a minute they'll fail, or sustain an even bigger casualty, Coulson's death prompted them into action, but Marvel did'nt keep him dead did they? He wound up in a s*itty tv show, and the Avengers are apparently all too stupid to never really notice him or his team even when they're doing all kinds of stunts in public.

Tony has PTSD for Iron Man 3 stemming from the battle in Avengers...for a bit, then he teams up with a kid and blows all of his armor up for no reason while The Mandarin watches a football game.

They should have killed Hawkeye in AOU, but no, they chickened out and killed Quicksilver, who nobody gave a damn about.

What stakes? There's none in these movies, characters come back to life and there's no real drawn-out consequences for others because they're so incredibly bi-polar.

Neither of us are going to change our minds, so I'm dropping it here. Thanks for not getting too irked at me, I'm an old grump. If you like the movies, that's fine.

Quote:
If that makes me a sheep, then baaaaaa motherf*cker.
"It's what the public want" right?

Yeah, the public also want Bayformers, McDonalds, Dan Slott's ASM, and Donald Trump. F*ck the public.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 04-24-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 AM   #469
Sumac
Banned

I have a feeling I know who will be next to quit this forum, citing "everyone are idiots, but me, nobody understands me, whaaaaaa" as a reason.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:33 AM   #470
plastroncafe

Quote:
You don't think for a minute they'll fail, or sustain an even bigger casualty, Coulson's death prompted them into action, but Marvel did'nt keep him dead did they? He wound up in a s*itty tv show, and the Avengers are apparently all too stupid to never really notice him or his team even when they're doing all kinds of stunts in public.
This is an outrage! This would never happen in the source material!

Quote:
What stakes? There's none in these movies, characters come back to life and there's no real drawn-out consequences for others because they're so incredibly bi-polar.
No no no, THIS is an outrage! It would never happen this way in the source material.

Quote:
Neither of us are going to change our minds, so I'm dropping it here. Thanks for not getting too irked at me, I'm an old grump. If you like the movies, that's fine.
Does this mean I am, or am no longer a sheep?
I need to know for important shearing purposes.

Quote:
"It's what the public want" right?

Yeah, the public also want Bayformers, McDonalds, Dan Slott's ASM, and Donald Trump. F*ck the public.
Rage ineffectually on, my tiny dancer. Rage on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I have a feeling I know who will be next to quit this forum, citing "everyone are idiots, but me, nobody understands me, whaaaaaa" as a reason.
As the kids on Tumblr say:
Where's the lie?
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #471
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

Tony has PTSD for Iron Man 3 stemming from the battle in Avengers...for a bit, then he teams up with a kid and blows all of his armor up for no reason while The Mandarin watches a football game.

They should have killed Hawkeye in AOU, but no, they chickened out and killed Quicksilver, who nobody gave a damn about.

That kind of logic can be applied to any movie. Did you really expect Superman to NOT defeat Zod and have him rule or destroy Earth? Do you actually expect Superman to die for real and NOT be in the Justice League movie?

IMO Age of Ultron was Hawkeye's best movie. He had a crap cameo in Thor and was underused in the first Avengers, basically being brainwashed without us knowing much about him beforehand. It would have been a bit of a waste to build him up in Age of Ultron only to kill him in the same movie. If he was to die, I'd save it for the next movie.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #472
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Hawkeye definitely shouldn't have died in AOU, just because we finally see a bit of his personal life. They obviously manipulated people to think he would be the one to go, but why is it that as soon as they make you like a character more, they should be killed off? What a tired film trope.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #473
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Speaking of Age of Ultron, I feel like they did not have anything for either Black Widow and Hulk to do in the film so they made them flirt out of nowhere. Disappointing especially since Black Widow is one of the most underutilized super heroes in movie history.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #474
CyberCubed
Overlord

I like Marvel movies! No I hate Marvel movies!

CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #475
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
As the kids on Tumblr say:
Where's the lie?
Be careful!! If you continue apply too much logic, he might ask you, to stay in the kitchen, like he asked me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I like Marvel movies! No I hate Marvel movies!
The beast that known as Internet.
Or a humanity...? I am getting confused this days.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #476
plastroncafe

Quote:
Be careful!! If you continue apply too much logic, he might ask you, to stay in the kitchen, like he asked me.
Goodness I hope so.
That's where the knives are.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #477
The Deadman
Foot Elite

And the sporks.

Last Movie Watched: The Bridge Curse (2020).
Last TV Show Watched: Resident Evil (S1:E2).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #478
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Like he would trust a man to make his sandwiches for him.

Wow, this thread is going downhill so quickly and yet it is remaining entertaining, unlike the last movie thread.

Who wants popcorn?
Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #479
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
You've been promoted to fetching my slippers.

You're lucky I'm so forgiving, having caught you and Plastron taking time out at this family function

Quote:
Like he would trust a man to make his sandwiches for him
I make my own actually. I use triangles, and I'm out of Dairylee. Fetch boy.

Quote:
Wow, this thread is going downhill so quickly and yet it is remaining entertaining
Thing is, I already made peace with the guy I was arguing with, so dealing with some butthurt hangers-on in the midst of their periods is an added bonus

Keep proving me right gals. And keep scrubbing.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 04-25-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #480
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

And the laughs just keep coming. I swear, I am not leaving this thread until Machias or somebody shuts it down.

Or people stop being mean to each other. But this IS the internet.

Dance, puppets! DANCE!

Tags
spider-man