The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #141
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it's crossing 1.1 billion now.

Where are all the people talking about "there's superhero movie fatigue going on!" now?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #142
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Where are all the people talking about "there's superhero movie fatigue going on!" now?
They will return when another DC movie will fail.
As they usually do.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #143
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

I haven't seen it but from what I've read it's a mix of it being a refreshing take, it being a black cast without any Hollywood race bending to make it "marketable" and overall word of mouth.

I also doubt Wonder Woman was as amazing as some made it out to be but finally having a competent female superhero film is what brought it to make the money it did. It's the way of people saying "I want more of this".

And in this case I don't think it means they want more superheroes, there's a reason Thor 3 didn't break any records. Look at Logan and Deadpool, they did things different as well. If superhero movies can continue to do this which I doubt then yeah the superhero genre can last a little longer but come on, no movie genre has dominated like this for too long or we'd still have westerns released all the time in theaters today.

Then again, I predicted Superhero fatigue to hit after the first Avengers I'm also usually incorrect when it comes to Box Office predictions It's not a market I care to understand or research and I just use my knowledge in other markets to predict. But I swear, everytime I hear more and more "casual" people talk about how they're getting tired of them.

Marvel movies have become "events" and I'm not so sure they'll be able to continue with the same formula after Avengers 3/4 (since 3 is a lead in to 4 right?). Marvel knows this which is why they've said plenty of times that "there won't be a "phase 4" and that it'd be a "new Marvel CU" after Thanos etc.

I mean, I love superheroes, likely more than the average dolt who goes to the movies to watch them and I'm getting tired of them. Same with the TV shows, I was a huge fan of Arrow's first season and wanted more, then I got more, and more and more, and now I find it a hassle to watch through all those superhero shows on my backlog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
What does SJW's have to do with black panther?
There's definitely some SJW BS with this like "if you review this badly you're racist" or whatever but it's mostly minor and not the reason the movie is a success which some people are trying to make it out to be even if it isn't.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #144
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
there's a reason Thor 3 didn't break any records.
It didn't?

https://www.thewrap.com/thor-ragnaro...llion-opening/

http://www.ibtimes.com/thor-ragnarok...office-2607829

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entert...e-records.html

http://deadline.com/2017/11/thor-rag...ce-1202202193/

https://www.cbr.com/thor-ragnarok-re...reaking-views/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #145
Vegita-San
Emperor

thor 3 might not have been from fatigue....but just from it being a bit of a mess of a movie.

IF they had eliminated half the humor....dr.mcoy's character.. and goldblume, I think it would have been a much better movie.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #146
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
thor 3 might not have been from fatigue....but just from it being a bit of a mess of a movie.

IF they had eliminated half the humor....dr.mcoy's character.. and goldblume, I think it would have been a much better movie.
I disagree Goldblum's character was great. The Grandmaster is a big part of the comics he is the brother of the Collector from GOTG. Also Skurge who was played by dr mccoy is another character from Thor's universe.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #147
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Yeah, you basically just listed several of the reasons why this movie was so popular and well-received
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #148
Shark_Blade
Emperor

'BLACK PANTHER' Passes 'THE DARK KNIGHT' to Become Highest Grossing Solo Superhero Movie Ever at Domestic Box Office
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/03/...perhero-movie/

It seems even Batman can’t keep up with Black Panther at the box office.

Black Panther earned another $41 million at the box office this weekend, bringing the film’s domestic box office total to $562 million. That’s enough to surpass the box office total of The Dark Knight, $534 million, to become the seventh-highest grossing movie ever at the domestic box office and the highest grossing solo superhero movie of all time.

Black Panther now only has to surpass Marvel’s The Avengers with $623.4 million to become the highest grossing superhero movie of all time at the domestic box office and the fifth highest grossing movie of all time.

Between Black Panther and The Avengers is Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which is currently the sixth highest grossing film of all time with $619.5 million. Some analysts project that Black Panther’s box office could climb high enough to surpass Jurassic World, $652.3 million, and Titanic, $659.4 million, to become the third highest grossing movie of all time at the domestic box office.

If Black Panther does achieve such heights, its time in the spotlight may be short-lived. Avengers: Infinity War is nearing release and early box office projections are strong, meaning it could overtake even Black Panther. Mark Millar, the writer of Civil War and other top-selling comics for Marvel, thinks Black Panther has Infinity War beat.

"I'm going to make a bold, crazy prediction and you can giggle all you want: But I think Black Panther is going to outgross Avengers: Infinity War," Millar tweeted. "I can feel it in my BONES"

Black Panther has also been dominating the box office outside of North America. The film just opened in China with a $66.5 million opening weekend. Black Panther has earned more than $1 billion dollars globally in less than a month in theaters, an impressive feat for any movie.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 PM   #149
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Just saw it... This really lived up to the hype. Felt way more serious than a typical marvel movie, too, which I loved. Instant buy when it releases to home media.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #150
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Black Panther first film since Avatar to remain #1 for five weeks

https://www.destructoid.com/black-pa...medium=twitter
Old 03-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #151
Shark_Blade
Emperor

'Black Panther' Breaks Yet Another Record By Making Twitter History
https://www.forbes.com/sites/careypu...r-history/amp/

Black Panther, the Marvel Universe movie sensation, has shattered seemingly endless records, including being the first movie since Avatar to top the weekend box office five weeks in a row. Along with earning the distinctions of being the biggest launch of a single superhero of all time and the biggest opening weekend for a film that is not a sequel, the comic-book bombshell can add yet another feather to its cap: having inspired more than 35 million tweets, Black Panther is the most tweeted-about movie of all time.

Twitter reports that the Ryan Coogler-directed superhero story has surpassed Avengers: Infinity War and Star Wars: The Last Jedi andis the top-tweeted movie of 2018.

Before the movie was even released, Twitter was flooded with the hashtag #WhatBlackPantherMeansToMe. Attendees of early screenings flooded social media with their praise, and the posts continued when the movie was released. The United States tops the tally of countries, followed by the United Kingdom and Thailand.

With a domestic gross of $605.4 million and a worldwide gross of $1.1 billion, Black Panther has been credited with shattering the idea that movies by and about black people cannot draw a crowd – a misconception that many Hollywood bigwigs have refused to disavow, despite the high number of commercially successful films driven by black people in the past.

While the movie’s success has remained solid for five weeks following its release, the most-tweeted days were the three following its February 16 release: February 18, 17 and 19. The top three hashtags associated with the film are #BlackPanther, #WakandaForever and #Wakanda.

Love for the Wakanda and its residents was abundant on social media, with everyone from Kendrick Lamar to Michelle Obama tweeting about the film. Lamar’s post, which shared the date the movie’s soundtrack dropped was the most retweeted tweet, with the former First Lady praising the film’s representation was third. (The second-most retweeted tweet featured a pair of people – unsuccessfully – attempting to buy one ticket for the two of them.)

The best-reviewed live-action superhero film on Rotten Tomatoes, beating The Dark Knight and Iron Man, Black Panther has been praised for its diversity and representation, including the portrayal of women as funny as well as fierce and strong.

With its unequivocal success, future franchise opportunities for Black Panther are inevitable. and possibilities for more hashtags are endless.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #152
Shark_Blade
Emperor

"Black Panther" is less than $18 million shy of passing "The Avengers" as the highest-grossing superhero movie of all time.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/bl...ry?id=53850251

Avengers, sweetie.. I love y’all but Imma go support my homeboy T’challa and see this one more time.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #153
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

I am glad this movie has done so well. Hopefully this will open the door for more lesser known super heroes such as Static Shock or a Blue Beetle movie.

But I have to say this movie is way over-rated. This movie is not on the same level as Dark Knight or some of the other super hero movies its passing. Its a good movie, but I don't feel like its earth shattering in terms of story telling. Its amazing how well this movie is doing financially. Hopefully the sequel will be just as good, hopefully even better.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #154
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Black Panther Just Beat Avengers to Become the Highest-Grossing Superhero Movie in U.S. Box Office History
https://io9.gizmodo.com/black-panthe...est-1824050248

Wakanda forever.

Although estimates indicate Black Panther’s historic 5-week run at the top of the US box office ended this weekend with Pacific Rim Uprising taking the top slot, T’Challa claimed another crown in the process. Black Panther has pulled in an estimated $630.9 million as of this weekend so far, pipping 2012's Avengers to become the highest grossing superhero movie in U.S. history (Not accounting for inflation).

It’s the latest in a string of records the movie has taken since it launched last month, and it’s not just domestically that Black Panther is soaring. Globally the film has now pulled in just over $1.2 billion, and by the end of the weekend is expected to surpass Iron Man 3 to become the third-highest grossing comic book movie worldwide—only surpassed by Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Black Panther’s cinematic success means so much more than oodles of cash for Marvel—its loud, proud proof that diverse blockbuster can’t just succeed, but become some of the biggest films in history. Let’s hope an era of diverse, brilliant blockbuster films is just beginning.

——————

It’s what they deserve. uwu
Old 03-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #155
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I am glad this movie has done so well. Hopefully this will open the door for more lesser known super heroes such as Static Shock or a Blue Beetle movie.

But I have to say this movie is way over-rated. This movie is not on the same level as Dark Knight or some of the other super hero movies its passing. Its a good movie, but I don't feel like its earth shattering in terms of story telling. Its amazing how well this movie is doing financially. Hopefully the sequel will be just as good, hopefully even better.
To be fair, The Dark Knight was barely a superhero movie. It was more of a crime drama with Batman in it. It took things to such realistic extents that ironically the most cartoonish thing in there was the guy dressed as a bat.

I'd say more of a comic book movie, like The Crow was a comic book movie. But a superhero movie? Just barely.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #156
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Wakanda forever.
THIS is why it's earning the box office it has. B.S socio-political statements like this, not what it can achieve on it's own merits.

It's still a good film, just not the kind of movie that could command the box office it has now in a more dialed back world.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #157
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Black Panther's North American box-office total has just surpassed Jurassic World. And that's not all. Its worldwide total has now surpassed Frozen to become the 10th highest grossing film of all-time. I really don't think anyone could've predicted before the release that these moments happening.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/black-pa...ce-1202357565/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #158
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
To be fair, The Dark Knight was barely a superhero movie. It was more of a crime drama with Batman in it. It took things to such realistic extents that ironically the most cartoonish thing in there was the guy dressed as a bat.

I'd say more of a comic book movie, like The Crow was a comic book movie. But a superhero movie? Just barely.
Are you high???? You had a criminal who was just a complete psycho path wanting to kill every and eventually wanted to prove his ideological ideas (Like in many superhero stories). Then you have a villain named two-face with a completely over the top appearance .....and you say Batman was the most cartoonish thing in it???? get out of here haha. The movie uses Neorealism to keep the movie grounded, but it is a super-hero movie unless it was reclassified as something else when I wasn't looking

I do understand what your getting at, Dark Knight is not a over-the top super-hero movie like Guardians or Thor, but it is still a super-hero movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
THIS is why it's earning the box office it has. B.S socio-political statements like this, not what it can achieve on it's own merits.

It's still a good film, just not the kind of movie that could command the box office it has now in a more dialed back world.
I completely agree. This movie is good, but it is breaking records bc of its politics not because of its merits as a quality movie. I am wondering if the sequel will be as successful, hopefully it is as good if not better quality wise.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #159
Vegita-San
Emperor

i still have yet to see it.

DOES the movie have politics in it, or is it just the stupid people of our world trying to make it a political thing, rather than let the thing stand on it's own merits?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #160
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
i still have yet to see it.

DOES the movie have politics in it, or is it just the stupid people of our world trying to make it a political thing, rather than let the thing stand on it's own merits?
It has Wakandan politics.