The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
Galactus
Foot Elite

I have to admit I'm shocked by this. I thought for sure that after the last movie flopped so hard it would be a long time before they'd chance another TMNT movie and grudgingly I thought that was for the best. Let the bad feelings about the previous movie series fade away.

I'd personally take a new TMNT movie whenever but they are letting Platinum Dunes do this again? I'm sorry but **** that ****. What is wrong with Paramount that after screwing up so badly last time they'd give the same people another shot?

I don't want to be mean. It's not like Platinum Dunes set out to make bad movies I'm sure they had good intentions but they're a small production company that mainly did horror remakes. Giving them what was supposed to be a blockbuster franchise they were out of their depth.

I'll even go as far as to say they gave it a good try, some of the pieces were there but I just don't think they were cut out to make the jump from low scale horror movies to tent pole comic book movies. Why would they even want to do TMNT again?

It's possible they are actually going with a more grounded TMNT movie akin to their horror remakes instead of big scale action they tried with their previous turtles efforts which would not a bad direction for Ninja Turtles but frankly I doubt Paramount is going to be at all interested in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It's at least worth acknowledging that these are the same producers as before. They seem willing to shift direction when something doesn't pan out.

I saw a Post-Out of the Shadows interview where they stated they thought they had the right ingredients (yikes), but that the audience wasn't there to support it. So they at least know they screwed up. If we are lucky, they'll once again pivot, perhaps accidentally, into something that's actually good.
Again I would say the people at Platinum Dunes are not villains. They did not deliberately set out to alienate fans or go against what the general audience wanted with a TMNT movie.

They did listen to feedback but I'm not sure they ever really understood it. Like they eventually relented to fan pressure and gave us a Japanese Shredder which on the one had was great but while taking one of the few prominent Asian characters in pop culture and changing him to a white guy was bad in itself it wasn't really the reason fans were pissed, it's because we wanted the Yoshi/Saki backstory - the character doesn't really work without it.

In the strictest terms they gave us what we wanted they just neglected the reasons why we wanted it.

Out Of The Shadows is an entire movies worth of examples of listening to feedback about the 2014 movie and learning the absolute wrong lessons from the it. Somethings are pretty understandable - a very vocal contingent has long forwarded the narrative that the Fred Wolf Show should be the primary basis and that TMNT is an inherently stupid concept so they should lean in to the stupid so I hope lesson learned on that score but I'm not sure.

By their own admission they don't know what went wrong and even with the best of intentions I don't have faith they can learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Possibly who knows. What I don't want is them redoing the origin again. Just do a soft reboot.
Nope. Sorry it has to be a complete reboot. The last series has been written off a complete failure that no one should want to continue it. Even among its defenders no one likes the previous Platinum Dunes movies enough to carry anything over from them.

Also I'm sorry but any reboot is going to have to do the origin again. This is where we need to consider the general audience who are aware of TMNT but don't know much about it.

These people need to know who these characters are, how and why these characters do what they do.

The shorthand method of characterization and motivation used in the previous Platinum Dunes movies only work if you already know these characters well and even then not all the time. Take how screwed up Shredder working for Kra(a)ng seemed in Out Of The Shadows even to fans who are aware the characters worked together in the 80s show where they had a reason to do so.

Last edited by Galactus; 06-20-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence