Rise 0 0%
PD films 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Which Splinter had the most epic voice?

For me personally, its the Splinter from the Original Live Action films.
Listening to him narrating the turtles' origins to April, as well as his own story to Danny, still gives me chills to this day.

Original Cartoon Splinter comes a close second for me, having a pretty powerful voice that is both deep and booming.
I personally prefer Original Cartoon Splinter to the Nickelodeon one, when looking at both of the "deep voiced" Splinters.
Both had pretty great voice performances though, and really sold me as wise senseis.

Never heard Next Mutation Splinter so can't comment.

2003 Splinter's voice was pretty serviceable, but nothing too special in my opinion, much preferred the 2007 take on him which was pretty great.

PD Splinter is pretty meh.

Finally, Rise Splinter has a good voice but I keep on feeling distracted while listening to him because I keep on hearing Tiger Claw.

Honourable mention goes to Splinter from Turtles 3 for being pretty hilarious (and I'm pretty sure he's not voiced by the same guy as the first two films):
"Just like Elvis from New Hawaii!"

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-11-2019 at 08:52 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

the most epic splinter voice in my opinion is Hoon Lee's Splinter. His voice commanded respect when it needed too and general love and caring for his sons.

Kevin Clash a close second
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
For me personally, its the Splinter from the Original Live Action films.
Listening to him narrating the turtles' origins to April, as well as his own story to Danny, still gives me chills to this day.

Original Cartoon Splinter comes a close second for me, having a pretty powerful voice that is both deep and booming.
I personally prefer Original Cartoon Splinter to the Nickelodeon one, when looking at both of the "deep voiced" Splinters.
Both had pretty great voice performances though, and really sold me as wise senseis.

Never heard Next Mutation Splinter so can't comment.

2003 Splinter's voice was pretty serviceable, but nothing too special in my opinion, much preferred the 2007 take on him which was pretty great.
Splinter in the 2007 TMNT movie had legendary voice actor Mako voice splinter. The 2007 movie had a surprising amount of stars in there voice class.

As to the question its really hard to choose.....
My top 3 are (in no particular order)
-2k7 splinter
-1990 live action splinter
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:03 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

For me it's a tie between Mako and Hoon Lee
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Christmas

You forgot the 1994 Christmas video film, We Wish You a Turtle Christmas.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 04-12-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Agreed with Autbot-Benz on Hoon Lee's voice, this was favourite for me too. The voice had strength, authority and compassion. That being said, this Splinter was young so his voice style (right word?) was different to those playing an older Splinter, among those I can't really choose without re-watching, I liked a few of them though.

Last edited by newfan; 04-12-2019 at 04:32 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
You forgot the 1994 Christmas video film, We Wish You a Turtle Christmas.
Oh yeah, my bad

He wasn't too bad in that, but I can't see his voice being anyone's favourite.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:17 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Definitely Nick 2012 Splinter, the voice acting was phenomenal. He felt like both a caring father and strict teacher.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
jignat
Foot Soldier

1990/1991 live action Kevin Clash had the most impact probably bc imo the film was pretty heartfelt especially with Splinter's interactions with Raph and Danny. He had a Jpn accent but it wasnt distracting.

Though I love Peter Renaday's voice (1987 OT show). His voice sounded wise and I always liked it when he faced off with Shredder. Avery and he had the most chemistry in the OT. The only fault is that for most of the episode duration he only offered advice /help during briefly and most times rarely participated in whatever battle that TMNT were having. If he had been written to be more of their father than solely a master, he would be my favorite. I dont think he ever referred to them as "my sons"
jignat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
I dont think he ever referred to them as "my sons"
He did refer to them as his sons in the OT, but pretty less compared to other versions.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Haven't checked all of his different versions so I'd rather not vote.

I have a soft spot for the 2k3 Splinter however.

EDIT: Wait, this is about voice acting LOL. Eh... I think FW Splinter had a pretty memorable voice.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jignat View Post
. I dont think he ever referred to them as "my sons"
He did in a few episodes, but it was rare.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

... OK, I'm gonna hate myself for saying this but in terms of taking it seriously, it's probably Tony Shaloub's voice. Splinter tends to have a raspy voice with a cartoonish accent. Shaloub, even though I'd still prefer hints of a Japanese accent, does manage pull off an old master voice without sounding raspy. That's not to say the PD movies had good casting (and I really hated the waste of Will Arnett and Gary Anthony Williams) but that one was fine.

Hoon Lee probably comes in second. He has a genuine accent, admittedly a Korean one but I doubt I'd know the diffrence, so it does work. I have to admit that he does sound a bit too young.

Then in third place comes Mako. Out of the raspy ones with a thick accent, he's probably the one. It doesn't bother me so much knowing that's his actual speaking voice, meaning that he could just focus on the acting.

In fourth place... Peter Renaday? He sounds like a wheezing middle aged white American when doing Splinter's voice. He failed at what he tried to do but then again, had he succeeded then it'd just be another raspy fake japanese accent.

BTW, I'm not voting because I don't actually consider Tony Shaloub to be the "best" Splinter, just the one I can take the most seriously as "epic", as it's kind of hard describe a raspy fake accent as "epic". If I were to pick an actual best Splinter, then I'd pick Mako.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 04-12-2019 at 03:17 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #14
Vintage
Random Punk

I'm trying to remember the Splinters voice in the half shell tour. Think I liked one of his songs if i remember correctly. I know there was a song about skipping rocks.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Hard to choose imo. Never read the comics and don’t care much for the newer stuff (2012, Rise, etc.), but I think most voices were equally great. 2003 Splinter is probably my favourite of them all, though I might be biased, as the 2003 series is my fav version of TMNT.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Kevin Clash has a warm spot in my heart since the 90s film is a great part of my childhood and I always hear his voice when I read Splinter

And then there's that scene with Raph in that film...pure gold.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #17
ninjawolf10
Random Punk

I went 2003 Splinter, partly because it's my favourite version of him and the voice suited him. Really liked Kevin Clash voice too
ninjawolf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 AM   #18
Garnet
Random Punk

Splinter's voice is good in the 2003, I can agree with that. But it's true that the character is memorable in the 1990 movie, and I 'm not sure it's all about the quality of the voice. The french voice was not deep, it was rather frail. But I really liked it. It was a bit moving, and I love the idea of that old rheumatic rat capable in the end of getting rid of that big mean Shredder with a … trip ? The action is still a bit unclear to me, he's using Michelangelo's nunchaku, isn't he ?
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:38 AM   #19
Myko
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I'm trying to remember the Splinters voice in the half shell tour. Think I liked one of his songs if i remember correctly. I know there was a song about skipping rocks.
I seem to recall that Peter Reneday (Fred Wolf cartoon) did the voice there, not sure if he also did the singing.
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
pferreira
Foot Elite

Such a difficult one to answer. Kevin Clash is probably the best in terms of fitting the material the best yet Peter Renaday brought more warmth and a more approachable manner to the role yet still had all of Splinter's traits. But it's such a slight difference in choosing which.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote