The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #481
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Charisma means:

It has nothing to do with "friendship". Military commander can be charismatic leader, but it doesn't mean that you want to be friends with him.

Vader, through mannerism, channels strength and assuredness. It doesn't make him "good guy".
Attractiveness and charm don't begin to describe Vader. From the opening shot of Star Wars, he's angry, sounds desperate, and is yelling at people. Something Anakin would do in the prequels. Darth Vader never came off like a leader type to me. He's just the Emperor's muscle. Though, I do agree that the last of what we saw of Anakin in Revenge of the Sith is a far cry from the character of Darth Vader that we see in the original trilogy. Putting on that suit at the end of RotS isn't enough to convince me that he's the same guy. His personality, motivations, and demeanor all changed drastically. That's why I feel like Darth Vader needs a solo film to fill in that 17 year gap and make it believable by showing us a younger Darth Vader just beginning to explore the dark side and struggle with moving on from Anakin Skywalker.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #482
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Vader, through mannerism, channels strength and assuredness. It doesn't make him "good guy".
Strength and assuredness are two completely different things from attractiveness and charm. There is a difference between leading through authority and leading by your winning personality.

Vader does have a small amount of dry wit to him ("I find your lack of faith disturbing"; "be careful not to choke on your ambitions") but this is usually as he's choking his officers to death, so I think it cancels out.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #483
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Strength and assuredness are two completely different things from attractiveness and charm. There is a difference between leading through authority and leading by your winning personality.
Whatever.
I've done reasoning with you.

If you believe that whiny fool, could become a character with "winning personality and authority", OK. Maybe water can become fire too.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #484
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's a 17 year timeskip between Episode 3 and 4. Of course he can become a strong leader in 17 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #485
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There's a 17 year timeskip between Episode 3 and 4. Of course he can become a strong leader in 17 years.
I thought it was 19 years between Revenge of The Sith and A New Hope?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #486
CyberCubed
Overlord

I guess it is, what is Luke's canon age in Episode 4?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #487
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess it is, what is Luke's canon age in Episode 4?
One of the members said he was 19 when I asked previously. I'm also seeing 19 come up on the net but not sure of the accuracy.

We never really got to see much of him in what would be his Jedi prime either, it finished off with him just becoming a Jedi and then we get him retired

Last edited by newfan; 10-12-2017 at 01:31 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #488
Vegita-San
Emperor

Possible Toy Spoiler? WTH?

Spoiler:
I HOPE this is just more bad toy marketing. I don't want to see them make Rey Jaina. https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/...8_SH9Nj_jiVEzQ
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #489
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I remember dialogue early in A New Hope that suggest that Uncle Owen kept Luke from leaving home at 18 to help him with a harvest season while Biggs Darklighter left to join the rebellion. Also, when explaining periods between films it usually places Episode III 19 years before Episode IV.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #490
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well if it is 19 years then that means Darth Vader had been ruling for nearly 20 years before we saw him again.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #491
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think that's where the prequels really faltered and messed things up big time, for the OT to make sense you would need to have been under the rule of the empire for so long. Vader should be in his 70s not 40 or whatever, same with Obi Wan and the fact that everyone seems to have forgotten who the Jedi are and only know the Empire as the only government.

If the President of the US can have a son when he's 60 why not the lord of the Sith?

The only way people would defend this is by "things change quickly" in the Star Wars universe which we know is not true since Episode VII which is 30 years later hasn't changed a damn thing from Episode IV.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #492
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah, the Jedi were like a legend... but only 19 years later and then again with Force Awakens, Rey thought Luke was just a legend, not sure what the time gap is between Jedi and there but still in his lifetime
Maybe it's due to the story being expanded throughout a galaxy rather than just one planet.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #493
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine the time gap was the same in real life. So from 1983 to 2015....that is a long time.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #494
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think that's where the prequels really faltered and messed things up big time, for the OT to make sense you would need to have been under the rule of the empire for so long. Vader should be in his 70s not 40 or whatever, same with Obi Wan and the fact that everyone seems to have forgotten who the Jedi are and only know the Empire as the only government.

If the President of the US can have a son when he's 60 why not the lord of the Sith?

The only way people would defend this is by "things change quickly" in the Star Wars universe which we know is not true since Episode VII which is 30 years later hasn't changed a damn thing from Episode IV.

Anakin was 9 in Episode I. He was 19 in Episode II. 22 in Episode III when he became Darth Vader . In Episode IV he was 41, Episode V he was 44, and 45 at the time of his death spending just over half of his life in the life-supporting cyber suit.

I agree that the Empire only ruling for 23 years was too short for a huge impact yet how could Anakin's children have stopped the previous generation's tyranny if it was much longer? Palpitine himself was in his late 80s? I t's consulted any way you look at it and trying to pick through it just gives a headache.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #495
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah, the Jedi were like a legend... but only 19 years later and then again with Force Awakens, Rey thought Luke was just a legend, not sure what the time gap is between Jedi and there but still in his lifetime
It's about thirty years between Jedi and TFA.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #496
ZariusTwo
Overlord

And the TV spots have begun to crop up

ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #497
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was thinking about Luke's line in the trailer, " It is time for the Jedi to end". Luke can be saying exactly what seemed odd about the prophecy of The Chosen One. To bring balance it does not mean Order 66 which tilts the scales to the Dark side not does it mean eradicating the Sith once and for all. Both sides thibk Anakin Skywalker is supposed to kill off the other side. However, it just tilts the scales to favor a aide. Why not end both the Sith and The Jedi Order making it balanced? If Force users continue what about a middle ground? I feel like Geoff Johns touched on this issue of The Jedi through how he portrayed The Guardians of The Universe as emotionally absent set in ancient reasons, going to extremes and inadvertently created half of its own enemies. Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #498
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/s...-jedi-trailer/

Subtitles confirm key lines are being spoken to the reverse of whom one would think.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #499
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Have they killed Lando in any of the new EU?

I didn't care that he was not back for Ep.7 or 8 since we had Luke/Leia/Solo but now that time has passed who wouldn't love to see Lando appear in 8 as a cameo or having a role in 9?

I was never a huge fan of Lando as a kid but I guess enough time has passed that all the right nostalgia strings are triggered, I saw a tribute video and I was like "man we need Lando in the new trilogy".
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #500
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think his actor said he wanted to be in the new films but he wasn't asked to come back, for whatever reason.

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw