The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #1501
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
I think that's a very high estimate. Ihave seen similar pages sell for $250-350. Value is in the eye of the beholder but personally, I feel that 250-300 is fair. Anything over is too high imo.

Some prices have been going pretty high recently but that's just due to the current popularity wave and overly eager people who "magically" found their long lost tmnt love. I'm pretty certain tha many of the tmnt art and toy collections that have been purchased within the past year, will be on the auction block by within the next one to three years and will sell for significantly less than what they paid.
You're right, my estimate was probably a little high. I am just continually surprised by how much tmnt art goes for nowadays. An original E&L page from #3 apparently just sold for $2.5k but of course that page is in an entirely different league.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #1502
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Yeah... I would like a page from one of the early issues but I fear the prices are too high now for my budget, compared to the $800-1000 they ran a few years back when I might have been able to afford them. I live in hope heh.

I paid about $350 for my RTNY piece iirc, but it's a pretty decent page I think, so I was more than happy to pay that.

Stan probably sketched that cover AT the show, correct? He quite often does the "quick" sketches for a reduced price now compared to commissions. At least he's back to sketching, but understand the price is necessary as too many people were flipping his free sketches in the past and he got somewhat annoyed.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #1503
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Stan probably sketched that cover AT the show, correct? He quite often does the "quick" sketches for a reduced price now compared to commissions. At least he's back to sketching, but understand the price is necessary as too many people were flipping his free sketches in the past and he got somewhat annoyed.
Ok. Thx everybody for the incite. I don't feel I overpaid so that's good. RTNY is my favorite turtles storyline, and issue 20 had Talbot's inks which are breathtaking. Issue 20 is in my top 3 issues. #1(obviously), #20, and #50.

This was a Sakai commission where I set it up before hand and dropped the book off to him when I first got to the show on day one. It was done around the end of the show on day two. He was quick sketching usagi as you can see below. Think my blank sketch had a bit more detail...

Also, I figured I would add 2 more things: A rich Woodall sketch card of his #22 cover and a blank Detroit #1 that Dooney penciled and Murph signed. Gonna try to get everybody else to sign the Detroit book next weekend. Hopefully there will be enough room...

In a perfect world, I'll get all the sketches on the Detroit blank penciled and then convince Talbot to ink them.... That would just be the bee's knee's

My Technodrome Forums TMNT Collection

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Buy Mark Martin's Original Art HERE

Last edited by Sofistocat; 10-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Sofistocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #1504
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
You're right, my estimate was probably a little high. I am just continually surprised by how much tmnt art goes for nowadays. An original E&L page from #3 apparently just sold for $2.5k but of course that page is in an entirely different league.
yes it's in a different league for sure, but i still feel that it wasnt worth that much. i would say $1500-1750 would have been fair. but ke i said before, value is in the eye of the person willing to pay for it. it just so happens that there are quite a few overly excited, overly impatiant johnny come lately's out there with money to burn or who willing to eat nothing but ramen for the next 8 months in order to own a cool piece of comic art. hey, if i had all kinds of loot to burn, i'd be tempted to have picked up one of those pages, but i probably still would have passed. i dont think i could stomach paying that much for a page unless it was a really good full or partial splash from one of the first five books.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #1505
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
yes it's in a different league for sure, but i still feel that it wasnt worth that much. i would say $1500-1750 would have been fair. but ke i said before, value is in the eye of the person willing to pay for it. it just so happens that there are quite a few overly excited, overly impatiant johnny come lately's out there with money to burn or who willing to eat nothing but ramen for the next 8 months in order to own a cool piece of comic art. hey, if i had all kinds of loot to burn, i'd be tempted to have picked up one of those pages, but i probably still would have passed. i dont think i could stomach paying that much for a page unless it was a really good full or partial splash from one of the first five books.
You know, I really don't think I can say with confidence that this is just a temporary thing. I mean, how long has Eastman been selling his IDW covers? Each of those 20+ has gone over 1k just about, with the last 2 collected books (which were basically identical IMO) sold for $3500 & $4000. That is ALOT of money concerning Turtles art, and while any one of those might be outliers, the sheer consistency means theres quite a few players. And that's for art made within the last couple years!

Older art, what little has been selling since its still pretty rare, has also seen a jump. The $2500 #3 piece and the 13K cover might be outliers too...but at some point it might be time to say prices have adjusted, if not as dramatically as the auctions make it appear, at the very least I think we can say the times of early art going for a relative song might be behind us...

Regarding this specific RTNY piece, I remember it for sale about 3-4 years ago, maybe on ebay or maybe on the old Heavy Metal sight (I think it was there). I want to say it for like $150, so if you got it anywhere in that range you did good. Which brings my last point: private sales. Private sales might be most of our last hopes of snagging nice art and solid prices, people who don't realize how crazy things have gotten on the auction block these last couple years. Otherwise, we'll all be priced out...I know I've spent more than most on here, but simply put there's no way I can help support these prices, thats for sure...
Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #1506
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I hear you, it's also way out of my league. Heck I only paid about $110 for my page from TMNT #5, but that was around 2001 or 2002. This is why I hold onto it, because I probably won't be getting another early page any time soon with these prices. Nowadays I'd probably pay 600-700 dollars for an early page at auction, which means I'd surely get outbid.

BTW, Mayhem and Sofistocat, great pieces! I used to see Stan all the time at Mid-Ohio Con in the '90s and he was very friendly and would do free sketches no problem. I still have 2 sketches he did for me on comic book backing boards but one unfortunately has a stain on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Usagi.jpg (84.9 KB, 19 views)
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #1507
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
BTW, Mayhem and Sofistocat, great pieces! I used to see Stan all the time at Mid-Ohio Con in the '90s and he was very friendly and would do free sketches no problem. I still have 2 sketches he did for me on comic book backing boards but one unfortunately has a stain on it.
Thanks Pliggins! Both those sketches are awesome, actually like the stained one more. Spot rules!

Mayhems page is badass too. Saw a couple other pages on CAF from issue 19. Thanks Punky Poo for giving an origin! Sounds like it came from Eastman originally, Ill ask him bout it at Fantacon.

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1508
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky Poo Pie Head View Post
You know, I really don't think I can say with confidence that this is just a temporary thing. I mean, how long has Eastman been selling his IDW covers? Each of those 20+ has gone over 1k just about, with the last 2 collected books (which were basically identical IMO) sold for $3500 & $4000. That is ALOT of money concerning Turtles art, and while any one of those might be outliers, the sheer consistency means there's quite a few players. And that's for art made within the last couple years!
i kinda just chalked that up to the lack of any eastman official tmnt work/covers since around the end of mirage's volume one. my initial thought was that fans were just really happy to see kevin back at it (for who knows how long) and wanted to scoop a piece or two up while the getting is good.

Quote:
but at some point it might be time to say prices have adjusted, if not as dramatically as the auctions make it appear, at the very least I think we can say the times of early art going for a relative song might be behind us...
yeah...you may be right. only time will tell. i am enjoying the current wave of success the turtles are having. the new toon and comic are both great. whether tmnt continues to grow in its new found success or flat-lines within a couple of years, i will still be a fan and i will continue to read my collection of 80's/90's mirage cannon material and appreciate my OA. i am a tmnt fan for life!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #1509
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
I hear you, it's also way out of my league. Heck I only paid about $110 for my page from TMNT #5, but that was around 2001 or 2002.
They definitely won't be going for that price anymore!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofistocat View Post
Saw a couple other pages on CAF from issue 19.
You may have see my pretty up there...

Quote:
i kinda just chalked that up to the lack of any eastman official tmnt work/covers since around the end of mirage's volume one. my initial thought was that fans were just really happy to see kevin back at it (for who knows how long) and wanted to scoop a piece or two up while the getting is good.
I did too. I thought well maybe people will take anything at this point. But when cover after cover after cover kept the price so high I knew something was up, had changed. I like some of the IDW so its not a quality thing, it's just shocking is all. What's interesting is that only a couple have popped up in peoples collections after auction. Private collectors? Dealers (which some for CERTAIN have ended up at?)

Quote:
yeah...you may be right. only time will tell. i am enjoying the current wave of success the turtles are having. the new toon and comic are both great. whether tmnt continues to grow in its new found success or flat-lines within a couple of years, i will still be a fan and i will continue to read my collection of 80's/90's mirage cannon material and appreciate my OA. i am a tmnt fan for life!
I'm enjoying it too. But I'm getting bummed that I may be getting priced out! For the last few years, I was just about the only person willing to spend serious money on Turtles art. Which was nice, becuase I got nearly everything I wanted. But on the other hand, it was a bit worriying that I was maybe floating the market. Now that's all changed. Which is nice because I don't need to worry so much....but bad cuz its gone over my head so quickly! Makes me wish some of the items I had passed on/sold I would kept. My hindsight and all...
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1510
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I'm enjoying it too. But I'm getting bummed that I may be getting priced out! For the last few years, I was just about the only person willing to spend serious money on Turtles art. Which was nice, becuase I got nearly everything I wanted. But on the other hand, it was a bit worriying that I was maybe floating the market. Now that's all changed. Which is nice because I don't need to worry so much....but bad cuz its gone over my head so quickly! Makes me wish some of the items I had passed on/sold I would kept. My hindsight and all...
Have no fear about floating, I is here... haha

I will admit I had a impulssive "jhonny come lately" approach my first month or 2 and bought alot of stuff I wouldn't have today, mostly non-tmnt realated. After talking with some dromies and fellow con goers, I think I have refined my approach for the better. I also collect Marvel OA...

I paid more than what 2 of 3 members had appraised my RTNY page to be. I don't feel swindled, but prob could've got it for a bit less(15 -20% maybe...). However, the page sums up EVERYTHING I love about turtles and I won't have to eat ramen for 8 months. More like 1.5 months, but I'm OK with that considering what it is. ZOG RULES!

I hoping to have added sentimentality when I get it signed by the rest of the guys who worked on it next weekend. It would be nice to hear personal feeling about creating the book when the art is right in front of you...

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #1511
Rockvoanjd
Thug

Alot of these pieces that are coming out are going to dealers. See most dealers also like to trade. You won't see it right off the bat, but they'll pop up eventually. Plus with the movie coming out, they know to buy buy buy. It's like when a new comic movie comes out, say Avengers. Avengers 1 will jump up in price because of recent demand. So the dealers will try to stock up to cash in on the ride. It's tuff with comic art, it's one of a kind and you can pretty much set the price, if somebody really wants it. First time I got to meet Kevin(cool ass dude btw) he had an art portfolio with him. A certain art dealer was in front of me buying everything he could. Kevin was selling stuff in between 300-500. This dealer then goes to his booth and slaps a 1500 price on the art, and he sold them all. All in all, in the nerd hobby of ours, nothing beats the original art from a favorite story. My deal is I try to buy art from my favorite stories, unfortunately Alan Moore is my favorite writer and anything he's involved with is expensive
Rockvoanjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1512
Rockvoanjd
Thug

And plus we need our very own Punky Poo here to retire, still kicking myself for missing out on that Leo page! Damn it's sweet
Rockvoanjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #1513
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockvoanjd View Post
All in all, in the nerd hobby of ours, nothing beats the original art from a favorite story. My deal is I try to buy art from my favorite stories, unfortunately Alan Moore is my favorite writer and anything he's involved with is expensive
Spoken like a true gentleman!

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Old 09-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #1514
pl212
Stone Warrior

My first Talbot piece!!
It was made possible with the help of a friend thanks again!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #1515
Powder
So tired of this place

Ooooooh boy, that is sick! The colors are bananas, love it. Congrats on scoring something from him!

I'm hoping my next special something will be here in the next 2-3 days. Fairly certain it was shipped on the 4th. It's got to travel all the way from one coast to another, though...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #1516
pl212
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Ooooooh boy, that is sick! The colors are bananas, love it. Congrats on scoring something from him!

I'm hoping my next special something will be here in the next 2-3 days. Fairly certain it was shipped on the 4th. It's got to travel all the way from one coast to another, though...
Thanks it was about time lol stil waiting on my farley piece though :/

Cant wait to see what you got
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #1517
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Cripes that's beautiful...I want a Talbot so bad!!
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #1518
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Amazing Talbot piece, congrats. I can't begin to explain how much I love his art. His non-TMNT stuff is amazing too.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #1519
Sofistocat
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That April cover looks really really nice. Would love to see a better shot of it!~
Best I could do, doesn't do it much justice

My ComicArtFan Galleries

Last edited by Sofistocat; 10-18-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1520
Powder
So tired of this place

Looks even nicer than I thought. Never did see a post-Archie OT April from the Doonmeister, she's a beaut! Maybe you can hit us with one more shot when it's graded or whatever.
Is she drawing, or writing or something?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote