The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #221
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

It's pretty good. I wish they hadn't used stuff like the phaser and the communicator because that's not what Star Trek is really about. Unfortunately the main title's power is held back by that lifeless music.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #222
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
And Enterprise was TERRIBLE. Hated that frakking song.
What they changed it to in season 3 and 4, the "Easy listening" version, definitely sucked. The original grew on me a lot after a few episodes.

For you, both versions:

Original:

Season 3 & 4 one:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #223
Vegita-San
Emperor

the original grew on me. i hated the hip hop enterprise theme.

So far, I'm not hating the Federation angle of this series just yet.

But it does NOT work as a prequel....the design and tech is way too off from what we know and the uniforms suck.

The Klingons also suck. why does that lead klingon seem like he has so much tough time talking? he barely gets the words out.

klingons would not bother with a funeral ship. that is just stupid and totally changing their culture for no reason.

I do hope no one signs up for this streaming service.....pretty shameful that they tease people with only one episode.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #224
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I gotta stop looking at the tags around here. I just did a search for "star trek discuckery s03e01"
Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 PM   #225
Vegita-San
Emperor

How on Earth did the federation ship see footprints in the sand, if they couldn't find the far bigger two humans making the footprints?

They changed the Klingons so much, they might as well be something else.

Throwing in all the classic sound effects as the only thing really connected to the classic universe. and saying number one an AWFUL lot... 'memba picard did that?'

No one seems it strange that a woman is called michael? must be perfectly normal in the future. i wonder if it'll be a stupid plot point or just go un explained?

best comment i've seen so far... 'they weaponized JJ's lens flare?'

I switched over to football at that point. will check out the rest later tomorrow...

are we just so jaded these days at reboots we are looking for things to complain about, or did it really seem that bad and lack luster and un trek?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #226
ZariusTwo
Overlord

This did feel like somebody watched the Star Trekkin music video and wrote a whole play about it.

"We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill men"
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #227
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw the first episode of "Discovery." Not terrible. Random rambling thoughts, good and bad... mostly bad ones:

* Definitely a JJ Abrams vibe going on. Tons of diagonally framed shots, lens flare, and it's true... even a weaponized lens flare at one point! These guys are in on the joke, right? They have to be.

* Everything looks great. The aesthetic is kind of an even more techy Star Trek: Enterprise. By this point in the timeline, though, the pendulum should be swinging a lot closer to the way the uniforms were in "The Cage," since, well, we see them in that and this is within a couple of years of it.

* They remark they've "never seen a cloaking device like this." What? They've seen plenty of cloaking devices in Enterprise, and then there was the whole Romulan War right after that show. What, no cloaking devices in that? If they're going off of the comment in "Balance of Terror," where they're surprised to see a cloaking device... well, that makes this even weirder, because this is just a few years before that. And aren't the Klingons supposed to have stolen this tech from the Romulans later in the timeline?

* I like that they call the phasers "phase cannons" and not FAKE "phasers" in this. If they're dead set on them being like Star Wars blasters they should at least call them such.

* I don't like the Sarek actor at all in this. He looks like James Franco in makeup and too young. The Sarek actor from the Abrams movie wasn't great but would have been way better than this guy.

* The Spock connection is as much shoehorned in as it's laughable and unnecessary. The committee is like, so afraid that anything Trek without a strong connection to Kirk, Spock, and the Enterprise is going to fail. Lame. I can imagine in future episodes we'll get lame flashbacks to Michael arguing with Spock as children, or something, or a Quinto cameo at some point.

* They've told us this is set in the "real" timeline, but it's set in such a way that it doesn't really even matter. It's set after the USS Kelvin was destroyed by Nero's Narada, but he wouldn't have destroyed Vulcan just yet... so what's the difference? I think it's positioned this way juuuust in case they want to do a U-turn and say, "Just kidding, this is the Abramsverse." Because it sure looks like the Abramsverse. At the very least, it's to make Abramsverse fans feel at home.

* Nothing I see in this show makes a concerted argument as to why we needed another prequel or why this needed to be a prequel. At all. The visual aesthetic, the uniforms, the tech... they could have easily just set this -- as an example -- in the 2500s, and just say the Klingon Empire has become increasingly xenophobic and no one's seen a Klingon ship in 90 years. Exactly the same kind of story could be told. They could even explain the difference in appearance as the Klingons going "back to their roots" or experimenting on themselves or something during this time.

* About the Klingons. Why? On a bullet pointed list of things that might be considered possibly "uncool" about Star Trek in need of "fixing" or "updating"... why in the hell would Klingons be on that list? They're like the one thing in all of Star Trek that IS intrinsically cool. They're the no-bullsh** warriors, living like futuristic, sometimes barbaric samurais with a code of honor. I've never met anyone that's ever looked at the Klingons and been like, "They look so lame." And this goes back to the Abrams movies, where his big idea was to give them Predator masks to cover up their faces because they're apparently so embarrassed by them. Why? Why even use them at all? To be fair, the show does leave itself a way out. These Klingons could just be this particular clan of Klingons, and there may be others out there that look like the ones we know. Alternately, this could be the "middle of the road" effect of that Enterprise head-bump plague slowly wearing off... but I doubt it. And really, let's "update" the bat'leths? People were actually worried about making "cooler" bat'leths? Everything with the Klingons is so overdesigned here it's bonkers.

* The expedition in the spacesuit was neat. The impassioned plea to the Captain to "strike first" seemed sound.

* Interesting that we don't actually see the Discovery yet. It's not even mentioned. I'm assuming the Shenzhou will be destroyed at some point, Isaacs will die on the Discovery, Michael will take over as captain on the Discovery, and the Discovery and/or the Shenzhou will do some big ballsy thing to impress the Klingons and make peace again.

We'll see if episode 2 is any better. From what I hear it's worse, though.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #228
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Also, not surprising at all:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/sta...ad-1201879908/
Old 09-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #229
Vegita-San
Emperor

apparently i had only one or two act breaks to go after changing channels.

The dude Playing sarek is horrible....along with his costume. looked rather cheap even through the hologram.

Don't they train starfleet officers better than to mutiny at the first sign of disagreement? This is the lady we are supposed to be rooting for, and somehow gets her own command later on? the only reason WE know she is right is because of past shows. but she really is just guessing for the most part.

The actress playing the captain is also horrible. either she can't act, or was so bored by the time she got to the bridge scenes that she stopped trying. it's like she had trouble getting words out too....just like the lead klingon who sounded like a mouth full of marbles...

and as pointed out elsewhere, except for the stupid beam of light, it's pretty much borrowed a plot line from every major trek series and movie since. right down to spock kicking kirk off the ship in the first reboot....(captain points phaser at mutineer)....

sigh. i'd be curious how much worse it can get, just from a sad train wreck perspective, but i ain't paying.

I'd like to see REAL numbers on how many people signed up for all access based on that. Social Justice Warriors in the past have proven to stop caring the moment something comes to screen and move on to the next thing. they rarely stay around and support what they are so angry about.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #230
Vegita-San
Emperor

CBS 'all access' has commercials?

what the heck?

>>
For CBS All Access annual plans, the pricing is as follows:

Limited Commercials Annual Plan: $59.99/annually with a 1 Week Free Trial*
Commercial Free Annual Plan: $99.99/year with a 2-Day Free Trial* >>
Old 10-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #231
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 10-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #232
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Finally saw the first two episodes...

The good?

Saru; I want more from this tall lanky prey alien. Captain Georgiana (aka Michelle Yeoh); RIP, she was great.. would've loved a whole series with her.
The visuals are very, very slick.

The bad?

Michael Burnham... well, the actress is quite good, but the character is unlikeable. I feel sorry for her, but I don't like her. She's a massive screw-up. But I like (and hope) that the season is going to be a redemptive arc for her... she's got a loooooooong way to go.

The war crime of bombing the dead soldier. Eh. Idealogically, it is quite simply a war crime. But it was an understandable choice given the grievous situation. Remember, Captain Benjamin Sisko murdered a Romulan senator to win the Dominion War, one of my favorite moments and episodes and characters!

The Klingons. Everything about them is poorly done. They didn't need reinventing, we didn't need so many subtitles, the costumes are silly, the ship designs are fugly... I can't think of a single thing about the Klingons I liked.

The story so far feels very overwhelming, in terms of scope and pace.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #233
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I managed to catch the first couple of episodes over the weekend.
I was...not blown away.

I found the Klingons new build to be far too bulky to be legit threatening, but unlike Cylons...I kind of dug the subtitles.

Their story arc is that of resisting a colonial force, so I think it's fitting that they use their language in their scenes.

I don't know what to make of Michael yet, though I'm curious how they're going to continue her process working through her PTSD.

If I had an easy way to continue watching it, I'd be more than happy to do so, but I wasn't blown away by it enough to purchase the whole channel streaming.
(Which reminds me, I need to rewatch American Gods so I can cancel my Stars subscription.)

The space show that I have been getting a rather sizable kick out of recently is The Orville.

Which is kind of surprising to me.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #234
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I found the Klingons new build to be far too bulky to be legit threatening, but unlike Cylons...I kind of dug the subtitles.
Yeah, I didn't mind that at all. I wouldn't mind it if we saw the Klingons always talking in Klingon every time it's just them in a room always in Star Trek, actually.

The Discovery is definitely a Section 31 ship. The NCC-1031 isn't very subtle at all, either.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #235
Vegita-San
Emperor

a section 31 ship might actually make all this mistaken character issues interesting.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #236
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, I didn't mind that at all. I wouldn't mind it if we saw the Klingons always talking in Klingon every time it's just them in a room always in Star Trek, actually.

The Discovery is definitely a Section 31 ship. The NCC-1031 isn't very subtle at all, either.
Yep. Absolutely.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #237
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
a section 31 ship might actually make all this mistaken character issues interesting.
Fairly predictable though. The Edgy Star Trek show revolving around the Edgy Starfleet Black Ops division. Even JJ used them in "Into Darkness" because Edgy Trek.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #238
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Fairly predictable though. The Edgy Star Trek show revolving around the Edgy Starfleet Black Ops division. Even JJ used them in "Into Darkness" because Edgy Trek.
Section 31 has never been less cool than when JJ Abrams used them. Ugh.

A giant f'ing starship is NOT the Section 31 way. A "science vessel" is much more befitting...

Actually, thinking about it, Section 31 was preparing for war with the Klingons in "Into Darkness" and now we've got "Discovery"... is it just me, or am I smelling recycled movie plots that were (inexplicably) replaced in favor of "Beyond?"
Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #239
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
A giant f'ing starship is NOT the Section 31 way.
That they had... Khan design for them?

God those movies are sooo stupid.

Quote:
Actually, thinking about it, Section 31 was preparing for war with the Klingons in "Into Darkness" and now we've got "Discovery"... is it just me, or am I smelling recycled movie plots that were (inexplicably) replaced in favor of "Beyond?"
Probably right. JJ was definitely gearing up for "the big Klingons movie" after "Into Darkness."
Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #240
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
That they had... Khan design for them?

God those movies are sooo stupid.

Probably right. JJ was definitely gearing up for "the big Klingons movie" after "Into Darkness."
Wait, White Khan created the USS Vengeance? I must've missed that gem of idiocy inbetween "John Harrison" and "magic blood."

I'm sad we didn't get JJ Abram's Star Trek III... mainly because I was dying to make fun of his remix of "The Undiscovered Country."