The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have kids?
Yes I have kids and am a parent 11 35.48%
No, I do not have kids but I'd like to have some and be a parent in the future 9 29.03%
No, I do not have kids and never want kids. No plans to ever be a parent 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #161
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wow, this thread is getting way too scientific for me. This is above my pay grade, I need someone to explain this to me in laymans terms. Not all of us went to Harvard and Yale.
When a mommy and daddy love each other very much...
Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #162
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

...their individual gametes form a zygote!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #163
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've never heard the word, "zygote" in my entire life till this thread, and I had biology in 9th grade. Granted I had 9th grade in uh...the year 2000...I think?

That was a long time ago, maybe the school lessons changed during the millennium for the young teens who came after my time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #164
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I know people like to make fun of CyberCubed, but let's be real, most people forget the **** they learn in high school. I know I did. This is why "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" was a thing.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #165
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This still isn't information you need to be Harvard education to know.

Cubed, a zygote is a cell that develops in the event of fertilization and is the first stage of embryonic development before cell division starts to form an embryo. It's typically the cell that implants in the uterine lining in the first stages of pregnancy.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #166
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I know people like to make fun of CyberCubed, but let's be real, most people forget the **** they learn in high school. I know I did. This is why "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" was a thing.
Yeah, I always wonder how people miss such easy answers on that show, but then I felt stupid I didn't know a few of the questions haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
This still isn't information you need to be Harvard education to know.

Cubed, a zygote is a cell that develops in the event of fertilization and is the first stage of embryonic development before cell division starts to form an embryo. It's typically the cell that implants in the uterine lining in the first stages of pregnancy.
+1 For google search
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #167
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
My mother had 11 siblings. 3 brothers and 8 sisters.

These days people find 2 kids stressful, imagine 12
I think, in some countries people still prefer to have many kids. It's only in Europe and USA where people have problems with many kids and it's understandable.

Praising people for having many kids because how it was in the past is rather strange. Things change.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #168
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't give Cubed flack for not knowing what a zygote is.

I pretty much only know/remember basic math, for example. But my degree and the jobs I've worked don't require advanced math or physics, so...
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 AM   #169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Zygote" is also a decent Neil Blomkamp short film. Though I have no idea how the title is relevant to the movie.

Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #170
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

https://www.npr.org/2013/03/05/17352...or-the-economy

An interesting article I found addressing the childfree debate on whether having children or not having children is selfish/bad for the economy etc.

I will admit though, I think that if everyone stopped reproducing, it would be a complete disaster. All of us have relied on the services of someone who was the result of reproduction, and if everyone stopped reproducing tomorrow, maybe there won't be someone to help us when we grow old.

Having children isn't legally binding or forcable, but I can certainly see why it is socially expected. It is tied with our survival and the survival of humanity as a whole.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #171
Sumac
Banned

I largely can understand people from child-free communities.
Quite often I saw them being attacked by religious and "conservative" people, saying that they are egoistical and don't care about "health of the nation". Even though, I've yet to see child-free supporters saying that all people should stop having children.

Arguments coming from conservatives are rather hilarious and often boils down to "I want to have someone who will give me glass of water when I am old", which is totally not egoistical. No, sir.

Religious people is whole another mess. As usual.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #172
newfan
Mad Scientist

Generally speaking I don't think anyone should be telling anyone else they should or shouldn't have children.

Last edited by newfan; 01-09-2018 at 12:55 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #173
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Generally speaking I don't think anyone should be telling anyone else they should or shoudn't have children.
I think at some point in our future someone is going to need to. It will be unpopular but it is unavoidable.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #174
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

You say this as if there was ever a time when this DIDN'T happen.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #175
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think at some point in our future someone is going to need to. It will be unpopular but it is unavoidable.
Not in our lifetime.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #176
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Slippery slope though.

TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #177
Prowler
Emperor

It's just Europe and countries like Japan and South Korea that face an ageing population crisis. The world had over 7 billion people atm. And tons of them are super poor. If anything, we have way too many people for all the resources available.

Also, in 100 years a lot can change. Who knows if by then there wont' be several African countries and even more Asian countries wealthier than Europe asa whole? And then we're the ones who start immigrating there and having more kids?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #178
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
https://www.npr.org/2013/03/05/17352...or-the-economy

An interesting article I found addressing the childfree debate on whether having children or not having children is selfish/bad for the economy etc.

I will admit though, I think that if everyone stopped reproducing, it would be a complete disaster. All of us have relied on the services of someone who was the result of reproduction, and if everyone stopped reproducing tomorrow, maybe there won't be someone to help us when we grow old.

Having children isn't legally binding or forcable, but I can certainly see why it is socially expected. It is tied with our survival and the survival of humanity as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I largely can understand people from child-free communities.
Quite often I saw them being attacked by religious and "conservative" people, saying that they are egoistical and don't care about "health of the nation". Even though, I've yet to see child-free supporters saying that all people should stop having children.
One of my friends is child-free, and believes she lacks the patience for raising kids full time. She told me that one person told her that she's selfish for not having kids, and she told me she told her that she's selfish for expecting her to have kids and not taking into consideration what fears and concerns she might have about it.

So since there have been people here who say that they don't want kids, what do you tell people who might criticize you about it?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #179
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've never heard the word, "zygote" in my entire life till this thread, and I had biology in 9th grade. Granted I had 9th grade in uh...the year 2000...I think?

That was a long time ago, maybe the school lessons changed during the millennium for the young teens who came after my time.
I'm older than you and I learned this in middle school in 7th grade.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #180
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The childfree debates have both sides accussing each other for selfishness for different reasons. It can get pretty ugly.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a day inside may, andrew likes tags, cubed monkeys around, plastron comes back, plastron goes quiet