The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #101
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm normally a pretty firm purist, as you well know, but Aquaman in general is pretty worthless, so my take from the beginning is, if any character gives you a blank slate to make them more dynamic and likable, it's Aquaman. So I've been onboard with Mamoa since the beginning. He's clearly having a blast.

If they wanted to "keep it real" and stick to the books, they'd have to have cast Evans and he's been a little busy with The Other Guys, y'know?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #102
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
Nice new trailer but I was already sold on seeing this movie with the last trailer.
Yup! Exactly why I didn't watch this new one. I'm already sold.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #103
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Wow, that 5 minute video really won me over, but still it's kinda hard to get excited for Aquaman when WB has no idea what they're doing with the DCEU and they change their plans every 3 months.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:02 PM   #104
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Mark Millar Says ‘Aquaman’ Trailer Makes Modern Marvel Look Like ‘70s TV Marvel
https://comicbook.com/dc/2018/10/05/...l-mark-millar/
Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 AM   #105
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I know there's plenty of recent examples of movies coming out soon at various points that do show us whole scenes, or even "the first 5 minutes" or whatnot... but I'm not sure, can anyone think of any movies that have done that and ended up being good? Or successful?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:00 AM   #106
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Kind of just shows how increasingly irrelevant the need for cinema really is.

Hell, even movies that they know are gonna bomb are streamed on TV the same time they're released theatrically (films like Batistia's Final Score)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 AM   #107
Leo656
The Franchise

People have been saying this kinda thing for over a decade. People said it once everyone had a VCR, for one thing. And yet, people still like to go out once in a while. They whine about the prices of tickets and popcorn and "I can just do all of this at home!", but human beings are hardwired to be social creatures. They may become more selective about which movies they go out to see vs. stay in to see, but the concept of "going to watch a movie in a theater" isn't going away anytime soon. Probably ever.

Just an observation? The people I most often see "rooting" for stuff like movie theaters to become "irrelevant", are typically ones who don't get on much with people in general and I assume don't go out as often anyway. Most people are well aware that they can watch the same thing at home, they just like the "experience".

If anything's making movies and the theater experience less relevant, it's the fact that video games are generally a better and more consistently satisfying form of entertainment. But that's another topic.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:06 AM   #108
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, theaters aren't going away in our lifetime. It's too ingrained in our social culture.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:26 AM   #109
Leo656
The Franchise

I just think it's funny how long it's taking for it to happen despite people predicting it, even declaring it a certainty, decades ago.

You and I are close in age, so I'm sure you, like me, remember a time when a VCR was a "rich person's toy"; most families didn't have one, but they might rent one for Movie Night. Once they were under $100, though, even Grandma had one. That's when it first started; "Nobody's ever going to the movies again; why would they?"

Nothing changed; then came DVDs, and the improved picture and sound (specifically MADE for Home Theater Viewing!), and all the Bonus Feature and Behind The Scenes stuff that I still can't help but get hard over because I love that sh*t. Again, "Why would anyone go out?" But they did.

Then it was cheap, big-screen HDTVs. Again, a novelty for the upper-crust at first, but now even Grandma has one. Then Blu-ray, and however-many-times better it is than DVD. Then 4K. And let's not forget how every few years, people try to get us to care about 3D home theater headsets and sh*t, even though nobody does.

And yet, it really looks like more people are going to see films than they have in a while; they're just all mostly going to see the same few movies, over and over. But if ticket sales on average are anything to go by, then the theater experience is safe for a good while yet.

People love to go out in small groups, pay too much for junk, watch something they only half-enjoyed, then blow off steam at stupid Denny's. Even if all they're gonna do is bitch about all of it; in fact, I sometimes suspect that the bitching is the ultimate point of the excursion. But whatever, they still went out.

I personally love going to the theater; I just rarely do because my tastes run counter to most peoples' so there's fewer films I'd prefer to see "fresh" instead of waiting. I will most likely be seeing Aquaman in theaters, though.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #110
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Fishman movie look good
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #111
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm normally a pretty firm purist, as you well know, but Aquaman in general is pretty worthless, so my take from the beginning is, if any character gives you a blank slate to make them more dynamic and likable, it's Aquaman. So I've been onboard with Mamoa since the beginning. He's clearly having a blast.

If they wanted to "keep it real" and stick to the books, they'd have to have cast Evans and he's been a little busy with The Other Guys, y'know?
Man, Chris Evans would've been perfect casting.

Or Joel Kinnaman. But I guess he's too busy playing Rick Flag.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #112
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just think it's funny how long it's taking for it to happen despite people predicting it, even declaring it a certainty, decades ago.

You and I are close in age, so I'm sure you, like me, remember a time when a VCR was a "rich person's toy"; most families didn't have one, but they might rent one for Movie Night. Once they were under $100, though, even Grandma had one. That's when it first started; "Nobody's ever going to the movies again; why would they?"

Nothing changed; then came DVDs, and the improved picture and sound (specifically MADE for Home Theater Viewing!), and all the Bonus Feature and Behind The Scenes stuff that I still can't help but get hard over because I love that sh*t. Again, "Why would anyone go out?" But they did.

Then it was cheap, big-screen HDTVs. Again, a novelty for the upper-crust at first, but now even Grandma has one. Then Blu-ray, and however-many-times better it is than DVD. Then 4K. And let's not forget how every few years, people try to get us to care about 3D home theater headsets and sh*t, even though nobody does.

And yet, it really looks like more people are going to see films than they have in a while; they're just all mostly going to see the same few movies, over and over. But if ticket sales on average are anything to go by, then the theater experience is safe for a good while yet.

People love to go out in small groups, pay too much for junk, watch something they only half-enjoyed, then blow off steam at stupid Denny's. Even if all they're gonna do is bitch about all of it; in fact, I sometimes suspect that the bitching is the ultimate point of the excursion. But whatever, they still went out.

I personally love going to the theater; I just rarely do because my tastes run counter to most peoples' so there's fewer films I'd prefer to see "fresh" instead of waiting. I will most likely be seeing Aquaman in theaters, though.
Prices go up. The quality of theaters improves (most of the theaters out this way now have leather reclining seats)... but there is 0 danger of them going away.

They can say the sky is falling all they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Or Joel Kinnaman. But I guess he's too busy playing Rick Flag.
Yeah, no kidding. Between all that Rick Flag stuff and Robocop remake sequels, it's a small miracle he's got time to be in anything else at all.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #113
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Momoa is pitching Aquaman 2:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/jason-mo...uaman-2-ideas/

Because that's going to happen...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #114
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Momoa is pitching Aquaman 2:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/jason-mo...uaman-2-ideas/

Because that's going to happen...
Well, it's at least more likely than Man of Steel 2 or Green Lantern Corps. Or maybe even The Flash.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What do you guys think? Will Aquaman so much as mention Batman or Superman or anybody from Justice League?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #116
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What do you guys think? Will Aquaman so much as mention Batman or Superman or anybody from Justice League?
Yeah. There'll be at least one reference to the events "of last year" or "last month", but it'll be vague.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #117
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Entertainment Weekly announced that the legendary and lovely miss Julie Andrews has a secret role in the film. This I've got to see. I find it funny how she will be in a movie that will compete against Mary Poppins Returns, which is the sequel to the film that made a household name.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/23/julie-andrews-aquaman/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #118
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Entertainment Weekly announced that the legendary and lovely miss Julie Andrews has a secret role in the film. This I've got to see. I find it funny how she will be in a movie that will compete against Mary Poppins Returns, which is the sequel to the film that made a household name.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/23/julie-andrews-aquaman/
Maybe she plays Aquaman's Grandma?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #119
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

More information about her part has been revealed.

Quote:
She will voice Karathen in Aquaman, a character described as a sea creature who can help assist Aquaman’s quest to broker a peace between Atlantis and the surface world.

“We wanted the Karathen to have the voice of a classic British actress, albeit somewhat digitally altered,” Safran told EW in a story published Friday. “And when we found out Julie was interested and available and excited to do it, casting her was a no-brainer.”
https://deadline.com/2018/11/aquaman...le-1202508272/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #120
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is it time for "the movie's almost out, let's build up hype by pretending the sequel is already greenlit!"?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquam...sequel-a165155

Yep.

Tags
leo656 loves the dceu, stargate atlantis, welcome to cucklantis