The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #541
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Red face

I went ahead and saw it. I've seen every X-Men movie all the way back to the original X-Men (2000) in theaters and I couldn't let myself miss one, even though I knew going in it would be Apocalypse-tier quality, maybe even worse.

Well, it wasn't worse -- at least not entirely. I think it was better in some ways, worse than others than Apocalypse was. Still lands in the bottom third of X-Men movies for me. Space sequence was cool but over in a second, kinda wanted to see more of an X-Men in space storyline. The villains that morph into humans and stay that way pretty much the entire film, wow, so original. Talk about a cost cutting measure. That battle on the train... whew. You want to see the team fight a bunch of monsters from space but naa, just humans. Skrulls in Captain Marvel were infinitely better at this sort of thing. You can tell there were some budgetary issues going on. The story glosses over so much just to fucus mostly on Jean, who for my money is one of the least interesting team members in this iteration, which all other characters getting hardly even a single story beat. Poor Nightcrawler. Oh and gotta love how they take out Quicksilver early on so he's not used in the second half of the film.

It's sad to see what the X-Men franchise has slowly degenerated into. With such a strong cast it deserves so, so much better. Highlights of the series are definitely X-Men (2000), X2, Logan, First Class and Days of Future Past. Deadpool movies are okay but I personally find them overrated, but they would be among the better films as well if you count them. All of the other films squandered their potential in various ways.

I'm excited about what Marvel eventually does with the X-M--err, X-Characters? It's fair to say that Fox is willing to go places that Disney definitely won't want to, but we've also seen so much mishandling that I don't think it's worth the trade-off. I'm ready to see what Disney will do because even if it ends up having a very different flavor designed to appeal to as many people as possible, I still think they will do a better job.

Last edited by Zulithe; 06-08-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #542
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I still think they will do a better job.
They won't. I'm expecting rapid fire quips, feminazi leads, useless villains, and the only thing being discussed as usual won't be the film's content but the post-credit scenes leading into the next waste of time.

Really, the fact people can't see the emperor is naked with Disney is astonishing. They've played the same record for a decade.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #543
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
They won't. I'm expecting rapid fire quips, feminazi leads, useless villains, and the only thing being discussed as usual won't be the film's content but the post-credit scenes leading into the next waste of time.

Really, the fact people can't see the emperor is naked with Disney is astonishing. They've played the same record for a decade.
The old MCU might have done better..

but it's pretty clear with captain marvel, that mcu is dead, and kevin feige is recruited to the cult.

I have no hope for future mcu movies with the russo's gone.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #544
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Dark Phoenix was actually good. If we're comparing the Jean Grey storylines in the movie franchise, it blows Last Stand out of the water..and I dont even care for the X-Men movies.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #545
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Again, we've been over this, it's not even close. Godzilla and 007 are up there. ****ing Pink Panther is even up there. You can't just say **** without being able to back it up.
If we're talking americanized versions of Godzilla, there was a huge gap in between Zilla '98 and the 2014 movie.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #546
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Better than Apocalypse, but that's not saying much. No character development of any kind and relies on us mentally connecting dots between movies. Sophie did better than I expected but this sucker is DOA.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #547
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Lauren Shuler Donner with a brutal Tweet that is since deleted

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men...-tweet-a168844

Old 06-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #548
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I thought it was OK. Way better than Age of Apocalypse, but not as good as Future Past. It was pretty generic though - felt very much like an expensive TV show. The villains especially were like something from Stargate, or Falling Skies.

It monkeys up the timeline even worse, but I suppose that doesn't matter anymore.

Another thing... how many super hero movies are going to start with a car wreck this year?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #549
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm surprised Quicksilver wasn't killed off...given that after he's left battered by Jean you never see him in the movie again once he's carried away on a stretcher.
Spoiler:
You actually do see him at the end.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 PM   #550
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Spoiler:
You actually do see him at the end.
Spoiler:
If he had died, they totally should have named the school after him.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #551
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
So... X-Men: Apocalypse?

Saw it on Saturday. Not as bad as I expected, though the Jessica Chastain crew was by far the worst part of the movie. The ending seemed rushed as well.

I'm also wondering about how much changed in post. Didn't this movie have a ton of reshoots or am I thinking of New Mutants? The plot seemed pretty standard, I wonder what the original cut looked like.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #552
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, there was a ton of reshoots. 100%, the villains used to be Skrulls for sure. Disney probably "persuaded" them to not do that.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #553
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, there was a ton of reshoots. 100%, the villains used to be Skrulls for sure. Disney probably "persuaded" them to not do that.
The D'bari is in the comics.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/D%27bari

Last edited by TigerClaw; 06-10-2019 at 09:37 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #554
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The D'bari is in the comics.
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/D%27bari
Yeah. Which is why they grafted them to be that.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 AM   #555
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
So... X-Men: Apocalypse?
And that film gets deservedly egged on...but because it is'nt the almighty "can do no wrong" cartoon cavalcade that is the MCU, and is the competition, people are more comfortable expressing how they really feel.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-11-2019 at 06:12 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #556
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Better than Apocalypse, but that's not saying much. No character development of any kind and relies on us mentally connecting dots between movies. Sophie did better than I expected but this sucker is DOA.
I was surprised, too. I was expecting a terrible atrocity of a movie on the level of Justice League or Apocalypse.

I actually enjoyed myself, for all of its problems. Sophie Turner was a'ight, and the NoLongerSkrulls were the worst part of the movie.

Unless you count the fact that Storm and Cyclops only had about twenty lines of dialogue in the entire movie (together, not each). And if you DID count that as the worst part of the movie, that'd be totally valid.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #557
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's so weird. The Cyclops/Jean Grey romance blossoms between movies... and then for the whole second half of the movie, Jean Grey and Cyclops don't exchange even one word, not even during the end.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #558
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's so weird. The Cyclops/Jean Grey romance blossoms between movies... and then for the whole second half of the movie, Jean Grey and Cyclops don't exchange even one word, not even during the end.
And yet, 90% of all Cyclops' dialogue has "JEAN" in it.

And I think 25% of all Jean's dialogue was "why is this happening to me? I don't know what's happening to me; bad things happen."

It's a shame, I actually really like Ty Sheridan as Scott and Sophie as Jean. Seeing them co-lead a movie or two would've been great.

The first trilogy was the Wolverine show, and this second trilogy is the Xavier/Beast/Magneto/Mystique show.

But hey, Storm got to make ice cubes, right?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #559
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
And yet, 90% of all Cyclops' dialogue has "JEAN" in it.
It's exactly what we thought it would be. "Jean, you don't need to do this!" etc., etc., over and over.

Quote:
The first trilogy was the Wolverine show, and this second trilogy is the Xavier/Beast/Magneto/Mystique show.
I don't think they ever figured out what this quadrilogy was. They still don't know. And now it doesn't matter.

Quote:
But hey, Storm got to make ice cubes, right?
In outer space. So weird. I get it's fantasy but... how do you conjure up weather in outer space?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #560
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I don't think they ever figured out what this quadrilogy was. They still don't know. And now it doesn't matter.

In outer space. So weird. I get it's fantasy but... how do you conjure up weather in outer space?
I already forgot Apocalypse was in there. My brain just goes First Class, Days of Future Past, Dark Phoenix.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. I explained it away as Storm using the atmosphere inside the shuttle to form the ice outside. I guess it works. Works better than Quicksilver duct-taping a helmet onto Nightcrawler, at least.