The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you know anyone transgender in real life outside the internet?
Yes 9 36.00%
No 16 64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do you know anyone who is transgender in real life?

I'm honestly curious. On twitter all I see is tons of people declaring they're "trans" or "in-transition" or "going to become the opposite gender."

I've never met or known anyone who is transgender in real life. Now I admit I don't go out much, but I still find it hard to believe all of a sudden like 50% of the population suddenly decided to become transgender in just the last few years.

Am I out of touch or is this more common than I think?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

This is absolutely going to go well. What the hell, I'll play.

In real life I've only met a couple of them in passing through working at the gym. Like two. One came in and just took a tour, the other one did a Free Week but didn't join. That was years ago.

Someone I used to see a lot through wrestling way back in the day but haven't seen in 10 years recently "came out" on Facebook, but we haven't interacted outside of FB in all that time so I'm not sure if that fits your criteria. And some people suspect that this person is trolling for attention because they're typically pretty right-wing, but I have no proof of whether they're trolling or not. I know for a fact he lets his girlfriend f*ck him in the ass because he spoke of it often, going back quite a while already, but that doesn't necessarily imply anything. That's actually more common than you'd think, apparently.

Otherwise, nah. Just online, except for the two people at the gym.

I suppose some people would say that it's possible to bump into them everywhere and just not know, and I suppose that's possible in the same way anything is possible. With those two you absolutely could tell, though, for whatever that's worth. The one who just did the Tour, I got a very strong vibe that they didn't have any interest in actually joining, but just wanted to see how I'd handle the situation. Like they were perhaps trying to set me up to say something offsides, but I didn't bite. People do that sometimes; like we briefly had an employee who constantly talked about being gay, even though none of us ever asked, and then when he got fired for generally being bad at the job he tried to spin it as the boss didn't like him being gay and that's why he got fired. After that we were like "Huh, okay, so he constantly brought it up so he could use it for leverage." Some people just do that to mess with people. So yeah, I kinda think the one person was just trying to bait me into something and it didn't work.

Maybe they were sincerely interested in joining, I don't know, but they refused to leave a phone number for a follow-up call and most of the folks who do that are not sincere about joining for any number of reasons. Which is their prerogative, of course, but again, the entire conversation just felt a bit "off". I'unno, you had to be there I guess.

I accidentally called the other one "brother" after I showed them one of the machines, and that was kind of embarrassing. To their credit, they laughed it off. And in my own defense, I'm a wrestler, so literally everyone is "Brother" to me regardless because that's how it works in rasslin'. It's tough to remember hundreds of names, so everyone is just "Brother", even the chicks. No kiddin'.

But yeah, only ever met two in passing as far as I'm aware.

As for the answer to your question, I have no idea.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2020, 12:07 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In passing.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well of course the internet is going to make any minority demographic seem like "50% of the population" when it's a space people who fit into a particular group have more access to others like them and more of a voice.

And no, I don't. It's not like it's really that common in the broader picture of the world. But, for all the evils of the internet, I'm happy there's also a good side and such people can find those connections with others who get them.

I'm sure some religious people also think the same way of us non-theists or used to, once the internet made it more apparent that we exist more in number than they (and even we) thought, but still a lot smaller minority in comparison than what it might seem online.

Than again... I didn't personally know the student (a grade ahead of me), but we did have one in my high school. I'm not entirely sure exactly how this student identified, since "trans" wasn't really in the common lingo that much around here and in high school of the late 1990s, but she's no doubt probably been happily living as a woman for these last more than 20 years since she bravely lived that identity every day in school. Luckily, though pretty much everyone was aware, it was a rather decent school and most people didn't give that student much trouble.

I'm sure there were some jerks, but being a small separate district of its own, not the default regular local district, it had the power to kick your ass out and send you packing back to the regular school district if you were too much of a problem, so it was probably the best school in the area for this sort of student.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:50 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

At my workplace there is one regular customer who looks like a typical 40 year old man, but wears make up, women's perfume, a top with a skirt, High heels, lipstick and eye liner.

I do not know what to refer to him as, so I keep my contact and conversations with him at minimum in order to minimise any risk of causing offence and losing my job.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:17 AM   #6
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Yes. And it's quite possible you do too and don't even know it. It's kind of not really your business?

It's not exactly a giant percent of the population but trans folk exist. Everything's just louder online.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Old 09-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Gladly, no deranged men in dresses in my immediate vicinity.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
At my workplace there is one regular customer who looks like a typical 40 year old man, but wears make up, women's perfume, a top with a skirt, High heels, lipstick and eye liner.

I do not know what to refer to him as, so I keep my contact and conversations with him at minimum in order to minimise any risk of causing offence and losing my job.
But see, that might just be a crossdresser rather than someone whose trans. Like there's a difference between someone who is male and just wears female clothes/make-up...and someone who is actually trans.

That's why I don't count those people unless they plan to get an operation. If you're 100% male and wear women's clothes...that doesn't make someone transgender....they're just a crossdresser.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's why I don't count those people unless they plan to get an operation. If you're 100% male and wear women's clothes...that doesn't make someone transgender....they're just a crossdresser.
If you said it on Twitter you'd immediately be labeled as Nazi, because, in transcult "everyone who say they are woman is a woman", also "if man dresses like a woman he is a woman".

If you want to know why or how this works, don't. Like any other religion based on fantasy and feelings, trans is an illogical mess, which contradicts itself every single step.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
But see, that might just be a crossdresser rather than someone whose trans. Like there's a difference between someone who is male and just wears female clothes/make-up...and someone who is actually trans.

The man in question also seemed to have unusually enlarged breasts, and there seemed to have been some kind of surgery done.

I don't think he was doing the whole thing ironically either.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I have a friend that could pass unless you were told beforehand and were realllly looking for it. A few years back she did mention the possibility of going all the way with the surgery, and how scared they were of it, but I never knew how that all turned out. It's kind of an awkward question to just bring up out of the blue.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 09-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This is what Cybercubed is trying to say FWL, some people are just James from Pokemon and not Poison from Final Fight

Old 09-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's funny, first it was gay people becoming mainstream, but now nobody cares if you're gay or not anymore. Nowadays it seems EVERYONE is gay, so it's not a big deal anymore. Now being transgender is the new "cool thing" everyone wants to be.

I see young teens online only 15-17 years old saying they're "trans" on their profiles, and I see their ages because their ages are on their profiles too. What kind of kid in High School would want to openly declare themselves "trans?" Like makes no sense. If you're a teen how do you even know you want to be the opposite gender?

Man, times have truly changed. I don't remember people saying these things back in 2002!
Old 09-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
If you're a teen how do you even know you want to be the opposite gender?
You don't. And these parents putting their 12 year-olds on hormone blockers and all of that should be locked up.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Pretty sure things like that aren't ever the "new cool thing," and are more-so the "I'm tired of being silent and pretending I don't exist" kind of thing, be it trans people or any other harmless minority people tend to have intrusive opinions on.

At the end of the day, I just really don't care. Their life is their life and if they aren't hurting anyone else... *shrug* I have better things to spend my time thinking about.

For all I care someone can identify as an intergalactic time traveling space zebra. I might think they're an odd human, but if no harm is coming of it... whatever. I just go back to minding my own business.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I never met anyone in my whole life who is transgender.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

I knew a guy who was a transvestite in eighth to ninth grade, don't think he identified as a girl because he kept using a masculine name, just that he liked wearing a skirt. I haven't kept in contact with anyone from time, so I have no idea if he's any different these days.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

Only through the internet am I acquainted with any.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 09-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #19
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Oh, do I ever. And it's something that I ask people to sit down for.

So my best friend's roommate in college was your stereotypical American "dude". Huge sports fan and loved cars. He was very open about his fetosh for fat girls, too. He always had some plus sized model on his arm. And I'm not using "model" sarcastically here. They did modeling work.

He'd hang out with us a lot. He'd always be going on about his muscle car or college basketball. He'd have a beer in hand most of the time. Never dressed particularly well.

My point is, we were all *flabbergasted* when he came out as trans. It just happened one day, too. There was no warning. There was no struggle with identity. One day, he was a chick.

We all wanted to ask him about it, but we had no comfortable way of bringing up the subject. The girl was now aggressively SJW, and we were afraid that any questions might lead to an unpleasant scenario.

So all we could do is sit around and ask questions.

And it wasn't like we didn't have any. Two weeks before the change, the guy (now girl) proposed to his girlfriend. I've been dying to know what happened there. Or with his car. Or his sports. Or anything, really.

I want to know because his Facebook person changed drastically. He was quiet and reserved. She was about yelling at cis white males for assuming gender. (Hence no one asking questions).

This happened years ago while we were all still in college. And to this day we're all still shocked by the whole thing.

Not the only transgender person I know. But certainly the one I know best. And man, oh man... What a rollercoaster.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, so was the whole stereotypical thing an act? Than got tired of putting it on? o.O

Even just reading that's pretty jarring. That would suck though to just be going through the motions (or trying to "fake it until you make it"?), but feel like it's a lie.

Shame though that the drastic change in personally still kind of sounds like she's trying to put on an act to fit a certain identity. Advocating for/against certain things you realize are kind of off in society from a newfound perspective is one thing, but no need to become an asshat about it. edit: Either that or there's a split personalty issue and the other one took over?
Closed Thread