The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #181
CyberCubed
Overlord

I imagine the original Data is still alive will be a retcon? Or have his memory transfered to the new body.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #182
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I imagine the original Data is still alive will be a retcon?
If I had to speculate at what we now know...

Rogue "synths" show up and devastate Mars a decade or so STP as seen in the "Children of Mars" Short Trek. Whether they were a Starfleet experiment gone wrong or if they just appeared isn't clear, though "rogue" kind of suggests they went turncoat. But I bet they're these guys:

Which means they're actually bastardized Soongh-type androids.

So after this happens, Starfleet freaks out about androids. In kind of a statement about internment camps and that kind of stuff, Starfleet orders that all androids serving in Starfleet be dismantled... including B4, who may or may not have manifested Data.

Quote:
Or have his memory transfered to the new body.
He already did that in "Nemesis." We know it because he told us he did it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #183
ZariusTwo
Overlord

A few spoilers from the TrekBBs board

Spoiler:
The Synths were created by Maddox, the starfleet scientist who wanted to acquire Data so he could dissect him in the episode "Measure of a Man", where there was a legal case put together to defend Data's rights as a living being

Picard had been the one to arrange the mass evacuation of Romulus, but the assembled fleet was destroyed by the Synths and Starfleet called off the evacuation. Picard resigned in protest.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #184
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
A few spoilers from the TrekBBs board

Spoiler:
The Synths were created by Maddox, the starfleet scientist who wanted to acquire Data so he could dissect him in the episode "Measure of a Man", where there was a legal case put together to defend Data's rights as a living being

Picard had been the one to arrange the mass evacuation of Romulus, but the assembled fleet was destroyed by the Synths and Starfleet called off the evacuation. Picard resigned in protest.
Daaaaaaaaaaamn. Interesting.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #185
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

A little more specific:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
So pretty much what I thought with the androids. Still begs the question, "What made them attack?" I'm still thinking Lore.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #186
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A little more specific:

Spoiler:
So pretty much what I thought with the androids. Still begs the question, "What made them attack?" I'm still thinking Lore.
Indeed? What makes them go rogue like that?
Old 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #187
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Indeed? What makes them go rogue like that?
It all comes back to Lore, I think. He's wanted his army since "Descent," and the synths being based on Soongh tech already gives him an in. Just begs the question of how did he get reassembled and such. Maybe Maddox had to reassemble him to better study the tech... or maybe in monkeying with Lore's positronic brain, somehow his consciousness is spread out amongst all of the synths, like a mini collective.

Or I'm way off and it's as simple as, "There's RACISTS in high levels of Starfleet that hate Romulans, so nasty Admirals programmed the synths to attack Mars and stop their rescue!"
Old 01-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #188
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It all comes back to Lore, I think. He's wanted his army since "Descent," and the synths being based on Soongh tech already gives him an in. Just begs the question of how did he get reassembled and such. Maybe Maddox had to reassemble him to better study the tech... or maybe in monkeying with Lore's positronic brain, somehow his consciousness is spread out amongst all of the synths, like a mini collective.

Or I'm way off and it's as simple as, "There's RACISTS in high levels of Starfleet that hate Romulans, so nasty Admirals programmed the synths to attack Mars and stop their rescue!"
I think I'd actually like the latter, rather than Maddox. As long as it's a few corrupt Starfleet brass (like Cartwright in ST VI: Undiscovered Country), and not a systematic corruption. But bringing Lore back could work.

Tags
jean luck cuckard