The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #21
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylord View Post
This is not really a talking point on the left anymore. Maybe a decade or so ago but modern consensus is that actively avoiding race/gender is actually detrimental to disparities in minority groups. Gender and race should be recognized and studied as they are important social constructs that shape many people's lives.
"Studied and recognized" is different from "hiring and evaluating people based solely on their race / gender traits".
At this point left has become even more racist than people they constantly blame on racism, what with constant infalitization of "minorities" and vile and toxic rhetoric surrounding white people and those who dare to disagree with them.

Quote:
Even disregarding race/gender, the job market is not a meritocracy. People get jobs all the time for things outside of actual skillsets. You'd be hard pressed to find any job where only the best people are hired.
And this is why we must create another set of categories to make it even harder for people to find a decent job. Amazing solution!

Last edited by Sumac; 02-27-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #22
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Even disregarding race/gender, the job market is not a meritocracy. People get jobs all the time for things outside of actual skillsets. You'd be hard pressed to find any job where only the best people are hired.
When you are in school you are there to learn this big, blanket statement sort of discipline. "Business". "Psychology". Etc.

When I was doing my Masters degree I found that the most interesting pieces of information where these little, sort-of experiential things that someone would say, or those usually unspoken info nuggets that truly clue people in to a method or a culture.

There were many I picked up that I thought were extremely telling, wise and insightful. For example, a very high-level economics guy distilling the entire thing down to the truth which should not be judged negatively - "capitalism is people doing good things for selfish reasons". A nugget that anyone smart understands and is okay with immediately while anyone who is an emotional midget would flip out about. You can't change the truth and sometimes the truth is actually fine even if their is "negative content".

And so, directly to your point, another nugget was that "we hire and fire for attitude". So much revealing truth in that statement and how it speaks to the ******** of the workforce.

Quote:
I'm not about to get angry over a corporate potato.
But this? This is hard to "agree" with per se. It just comes off as semantics - as if you can broadcast the superior high-road as you evaluate more important things. Now hang in there before you go "keyboard warrior" on me... Because what that does now, mostly not because of you but instead the current social environment, is put on everybody's radar the next time something offends you and how it will be a measure of ridiculousness against this statement.

See, we have been living in a society of people who are "opportunistically offended" or even worse actually offended and act like a crime was committed when someone made their head-math go in that direction.

It's a disingenuous lie and the irony? The irony of it all is that this ridiculous potato head things is endemic of the actual problem. And so, nobody actually cares about the potato as much as they care about yet another example of the fools of planet Earth having an impact on something tried and true that was never a problem to begin with.

Understand? The knee-jerk reaction of most "people of the internet" is to argue points, but you should give what I'm saying here some consideration for a moment before you do.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-27-2021 at 08:54 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I'm not about to get angry over a corporate potato.
To the elite, anyone ok with this are corporate potatoes.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #24
Banned

wait, what?

I agree that making potatohead gender neutral is pretty extreme and stupid, but not surprising considering everything that’s been happening lately with cancel culture i.e. killing off Aunt Jemima because of her skin color etc

however, the OP of this thread is a diehard Trump-hating biden supporter, so I would think radical liberals would be on board with anything and everything “cancel culture” and gender neutral, right? i.e. biden allowing trans to compete in women’s sports.

Isn’t this what you voted for?
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:21 PM   #25
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
I agree that making potatohead gender neutral is pretty extreme and stupid, but not surprising considering everything that’s been happening lately with cancel culture i.e. killing off Aunt Jemima because of her skin color etc
I'm a person of color and I find it ironic that the ones who get outraged over stuff like this are those who aren't. There was nothing wrong with Aunt Jemima. IMO, if the company wanted to make amends or whatever, they should've just paid money to the families of the women that originally depicted her.
Quote:
however, the OP of this thread is a diehard Trump-hating biden supporter, so I would think radical liberals would be on board with anything and everything “cancel culture” and gender neutral, right? i.e. biden allowing trans to compete in women’s sports.
If you're referring to the equality act, sports I don't think is included there. It's mainly just so that those who are of the LGBTQ communities are not discriminated against when it comes to education, housing, jobs, etc., like other groups of people. Nothing wrong with that, and it's pretty lame that it's taken this long and that there's a need for that to begin with.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #26
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

I believe Trans people should not be descrimated against for housing, jobs or education I am for that, but I think they should not be in womans sports. That should be left to biological females. Gender is different from biological. Everything is changing under liberal snowflakes in wanting to cater to what like 2% of the population. They are forcing these upon people and when you firce anything unto someone expect to be pushed back.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #27
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Ronin View Post
I believe Trans people should not be descrimated against for housing, jobs or education I am for that, but I think they should not be in womans sports. That should be left to biological females. Gender is different from biological. Everything is changing under liberal snowflakes in wanting to cater to what like 2% of the population. They are forcing these upon people and when you firce anything unto someone expect to be pushed back.
Once again, there is nothing about sports included in the bill. It's only for the stuff I mentioned and a few other things, but the playing of sports isn't anywhere in it. That aside, usually for team sports, you have to try out for them.

As for trans athletes...I think it really should depend on the sport. Growing up, in school, we played coed sports in gym class from elementary school all the way up into high school. Stuff like tennis or volleyball or soccer or or kickball or badminton or archery or maybe even golf and sports like those, it doesn't really matter, I feel if someone trans male or trans female is a part of it. There are other sports that come to mind too, like figure skating, roller hockey, gymnastics, baseball (something else that we did coed in gym class), skateboarding, etc., where it really doesn't matter, imo.

Sports I *would* have an issue with is traditional wrestling (although, to be fair, that's based on weight class so that may be in a gray area as there are women strong enough to wrestle men), boxing, MMA, football (well, some college team iirc has a female kicker now, forgot which), swimming, rugby, competitive dodge ball (it can be brutal, but even with a women's team, the ball is heavy), track and field, etc., I don't think a trans person should be on those types of teams and should be kept separate. In school, we did play football with the boys, but not regular football. We only played flag football to have as little contact as possible. It was fun.

Edit: Decided to look it up again.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...se-bill/5/text

Nope, nothing about trans people playing sports or people being forced to let them play anywhere in there, unless I somehow overlooked it. It seems for stuff like that, it'll all be up to the one who's actually running the sport and if there are try outs for said sport and they fail it, then oh well.

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-01-2021 at 08:00 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #28
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

They fail it and watch as they'll cry about how they didn't get in because they are trans and forget how much they suck at the sport. It'll happen just of matter of when and will be put on the team to appease the masses.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:42 AM   #29
Banned

isn’t that already happening tho? (transgenders competing in women’s sports). seems that the left is pushing to legitimize and normalize it, cause that’s one of their main priorities. been going on for a while now with trans track athletes breaking women’s records and many other sports. even a few years ago there was a mma fighter named “fallon fox” who was born male, then decided to transition and identify as female and was fighting against women! yup, a grown ass man beating up women. that’s just wrong, idc who is offended. hell even this thread title comes off as misleading clickbait trying to normalize “gender neutrality” then Hasbro soon had to clarify their actions.

and Hasbro will soon need to change it’s company name as it ends in “bro” which refers to masculinity/male/brother, because someone out there is offended by that word since it’s not gender neutral, I just know it!
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #30
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Maybe we’ll get Trans-formers: Robots aren’t just Guys. I’m sorry I couldn’t help myself. I have nothing against trans people. Just thought it was funny.

I really don’t care if they did drop the Mr. and Mrs. name.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:16 AM   #31
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Once again, there is nothing about sports included in the bill. It's only for the stuff I mentioned and a few other things, but the playing of sports isn't anywhere in it. That aside, usually for team sports, you have to try out for them.
No.
Transition doesn't change bone density and body structure. So men will be stronger and capable of taking more damage than women, which creates a potential danger for women, no matter what sport.

And in general, including male pretenders into women sports is ridiculously disrespective for women who trained for years, only to excluded for mentally ill people who did very little to earn anything.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote