The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #41
AquaParade
Banned

Dude, this show is badass. Really great writing and interesting concepts. The police using secret identities, Rorscach's message being maligned and misread in favor of a modern kkk. Really interesting ways to play off the original story.

"And it doesn't matter how I answer your question, because I already know you're sending me to hell."

'How do you know that?'

"Because I'm already there."

Such a cool line coming from "Dr. Manhattan".

Three episodes in but out of the three new shows I've checked out this year, this is my favorite so far. I have to say I'm not seeing the virtue signaling. From my perspective, every side is pretty messed up so far.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #42
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I just lost interest in this project when everything seemed to be totally SJWed up the max but if this is true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I have to say I'm not seeing the virtue signaling. From my perspective, every side is pretty messed up so far.
That's great, from what I had seen it did seem like it would be like this.

I want to believe.

Last edited by sdp; 01-01-2024 at 08:50 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #43
AquaParade
Banned

I'd just as rather avoid the subject, because I find myself able to enjoy this show without feeling at all like I'm being preached to. But it is a topic surrounding the show.

Now, that's just my perspective. Others may feel different, but for what it's worth, I've never identified with any type of SJW status. I don't have a bias or a political hard-on for it. I'm just enjoying the fiction of the story.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #44
AquaParade
Banned

If nothing else, this show reminded me how much I love the book. After reading it several times and watching the movie several times over the years, I had sort of had my fill with the lore and needed a break.

But last week I ordered the recent "DC Modern Classics" edition of Watchmen, which is gorgeous, so I'm glad to be enjoying the story that way. Watchmen has a poetic quality to it's panels & storytelling, that erases the tedium of re-reads. My favorite comics tend to have this quality.

That said, with one episode to go, I've really enjoyed this series. The spirit of the book is alive in the way they layer the story with parallels and imagery. They build off the original twelve issues in fascinating ways. It's different, but it's good.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-10-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #45
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'd just as rather avoid the subject, because I find myself able to enjoy this show without feeling at all like I'm being preached to. But it is a topic surrounding the show.

Now, that's just my perspective. Others may feel different, but for what it's worth, I've never identified with any type of SJW status. I don't have a bias or a political hard-on for it. I'm just enjoying the fiction of the story.
Quote:
That said, with one episode to go, I've really enjoyed this series. The spirit of the book is alive in the way they layer the story with parallels and imagery. They build off the original twelve issues in fascinating ways. It's different, but it's good.
100% this. Virtue signaling didn't jump out at me at all. I wasn't anticipating the show one bit, but Lindelof really knocked it out of the park. It's way better than the Snyder movie, which I honestly didn't mind at all. It's a worthy follow up to the original work.

My only complaint is not enough batshit Jeremy Irons.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #46
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
100% this. Virtue signaling didn't jump out at me at all. I wasn't anticipating the show one bit, but Lindelof really knocked it out of the park. It's way better than the Snyder movie, which I honestly didn't mind at all. It's a worthy follow up to the original work.

My only complaint is not enough batshit Jeremy Irons.
Jeremy Irons was so entertaining, and I was surprised to find that the sort of idiosyncratic take on the character made sense to me.

I also agree that it was a more successful adaption than Snyder's, which I appreciate as a companion peice to the book, but doesn't stand on it's own. As far as personal collections, I'm happy to have the original book and this series.

I'm on my second watch of the show now and enjoying it even more. It will be really interesting to see where they go with season 2, especially, to me, if they take the route of introducing new protagonists, while featuring some returning ones. I'd also love to see flashbacks to the original story. I realize it's dangerous fan-service territory though, if not done with good intentions, but I can't deny my desire to get a glimpse of Rorscach in the alleys, or the Comedian in his bondage mask.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So Lindelof reached out to Robert Redford to be involved in the show because he's "a prominent progressive liberal, who shares many of the same ideologies with a number of us, behind the scenes" :

https://heroichollywood.com/watchmen...eo-invitation/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #48
Sumac
Banned

So that's a new hiring criteria?
LOL.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #49
AquaParade
Banned

Does HBO do 4k releases for shows that aren't aired in 4k?
Old 01-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
So that's a new hiring criteria?
LOL.
Not new. It's pretty much the only way anyone in Hollywood is "allowed" to work, anymore.

Just ask Dean Cain.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And if they're truly looking to cast to "type," shouldn't they have been looking for a die-hard Republican? It doesn't make any sense.

President Redford isn't supposed to be a liberal, is he?
Old 01-17-2020, 02:15 AM   #52
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Watchmen won't be back for a second season as Damon Lindelof doesn't want to do another.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entert...ls/4491269002/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #53
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Wasn't that something they said up front that it may only be 1 season?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #54
AquaParade
Banned

I can live with that. After all, we just got a huge dose of the show and I'm quite satisfied.

I'll be there with open arms if they decide to bring another showrunner aboard for second season though.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Watchmen won't be back for a second season as Damon Lindelof doesn't want to do another.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/entert...ls/4491269002/
Yeah, it's a bit like leaving the big flaming bag of poo on the porch... and then running away.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #56
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Did it have an ending?
Was it a good sequel to watchmen?

I don't care if it was SJWfest as long as it was good and felt like it belonged in the watchmen universe.

I'll take your word for it, shows like these are difficult to get a real opinion on since people will automatically like/hate it depending on their political views. I just want a good watchmen universe show and if it succeeds then awesome I don't care about the rest.

Last edited by sdp; 01-01-2024 at 08:51 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Did it have an ending?
Was it a good sequel to watchmen?

I don't care if it was SJWfest as long as it was good and felt like it belonged in the watchmen universe.
"Sequel to Watchmen" is such a loaded statement already, but I truly enjoyed it. The characters were cool, the story was layered, and the music was great.
And yeah, it's a complete story with an ending.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #58
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'll take your word for it, shows like these are difficult to get a real opinion on since people will automatically like/hate it depending on their political views. I just want a good watchmen universe show and if it succeeds then awesome I don't care about the rest.
Totally. I have beliefs that fall on all sides of the political spectrum and I don’t suck at the tit of entertainment for supporting my political beliefs. It’s all about the craft of storytelling for me, and this show brings that.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #59
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm getting around to trying this.

I find most of what Andrew said to be spot on.

The one idea I find interesting so far is Rorschach's motif getting used by racists. Feels very bizarre.

And we gonna see a Superman show where a buncha white supremacists all wear red panties over their blue jean overalls, to show their allegiance?

Feels weird, man.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #60
AquaParade
Banned

Idk man, but Superman would never have said any of the **** in Rorschachs journal, for one thing. I love Rorschach,
but he was a screwed up dude, and I can imagine his message being adopted and twisted by white supremacists.

Tags
cuckmen, who watches the sjws