The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Battlestar Galactica

It's now premiered in the United States, and is about to end in the U.K next week with a two-part season finale.

What did you think of the first two episodes?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Battlestar Galactica gets a trek star

http://www.trektoday.com/news/100705_01.shtml

Michelle Forbes, who played a Bajoran rebel turned Starfleet officer turned Maquis on Star Trek: The Next Generation, has been cast as Admiral Cain on the remake of Battlestar Galactica. Legendary actor Lloyd Bridges played Commander Cain of the Battlestar Pegasus on the original series

GateWorld reported on the casting from a report at Subject2Discussion, which had sparked rumours earlier that Star Trek: Voyager's Captain Janeway, Kate Mulgrew, might play the gender-switched Cain on the Ron Moore-produced remake.

Forbes, who played Ro Laren, takes on the role of survivor Cain, who makes a shocking reappearance and assumes command of the fleet. The Great Link states that the Galactica crew is shocked to learn that the Battlestar Pegasus also survived the attack on the Colonies.

Raph's Girl note: So yet another character who gets a sex change.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm not as anal as most Starbuck fans were over the gender change for "Kara Thrace", but Lloyd Bridges' character? You don't want to see the Galactica forums right now...

The greatest aspect of this series is that it can get away with ripping into the characters because it's just amazing, gripping, and dramatic.

"The Living Legend" was one of the finest episodes of the original series, and it sure as hell will be fascinating to see it adapted here, Moore has already adapted one original series episode' premise and title, "The Hand of God", so it's not above him
Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
Rikirk
Foot Soldier

Battlestar Galactica...

Ok...I hope no one minds, but silly question time.

So..how are the fans of the series out there taking it? Do you like what your seeing so far? I'll have to admit...I lost my cable service after the end of season 1, I resumed watching with the eppisode of the return of the Pegasus and Admiral Cain. And I may be a little bit slow here...who is this new terrorist cell wanting to surrender to the cylons? And what happened to Tom Zarek? Anyone care to help me patch the gaps in my memory?

man...its amazing to see what this show has become. not many around me gave this show much of a chance ...but I really like what im seeing from the show. Intelligent writing, great characters. All I can say is give me more.

"Yes, yes I admit I tuned you out but in my defense its because I already figured out that youre stupid.'---Dr Rodney McKay - Stargate: Atlantis
Rikirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:57 AM   #5
Turtledude2k3
Banned

I live in canada and space just showed the first episode of season 2 and it will show the next episode tomorrow night which is today from where I live.

I can't wait..
Turtledude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:15 AM   #6
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Battlestar Galactica fu*king rules. It just does. I love it.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Turtledude2k3
Banned

It sure does rules.

I sure can't wait for the people on battlestar to battle the cyclons on their hometurf.
Turtledude2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some known facts from the original series that may prove relavant to the new series

1. The Cylons were once biological, but were killed by the robotic counterparts. There is an upcoming storyline centering on a Cylon Cival War in the third season.

2. The Imperious Leader was a simulation of the biological Cylon apperance

3. There are Twelve Cylon Models, Kobol has twelve lords

So anyone think the legendary lords of Kobol who are guiding the Cylons in their present attempts to merge their race with humanity? Ron Moore says he does'nt want to apporach the concepts behind the Ship of Lights, so that's an implausibility
Old 04-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo
So anyone think the legendary lords of Kobol who are guiding the Cylons in their present attempts to merge their race with humanity? Ron Moore says he does'nt want to apporach the concepts behind the Ship of Lights, so that's an implausibility
I'm only halfway through the second season (Godbless Netflix!) so perhaps I could be a bit off in thinking that rather than it being all the Lords of Kobol, it could be one in particular who's guiding the Cylons. Perhaps one who's fallen out of favors with the other Gods. It kinda sticks with the monothestic/polythestic dynamic they've got going on.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnhooligan
I'm only halfway through the second season (Godbless Netflix!) so perhaps I could be a bit off in thinking that rather than it being all the Lords of Kobol, it could be one in particular who's guiding the Cylons. Perhaps one who's fallen out of favors with the other Gods. It kinda sticks with the monothestic/polythestic dynamic they've got going on.
Prompting the debut of Count Iblis in this version I hope
Old 04-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #11
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Battlestar Galactica gets spin-off series

The SCI FI Channel has stunned fans today with the announcement of Caprica, a spin-off series from its top-rated Battlestar Galatica. SCI FI calls the potential new show "television's first science fiction family saga," centering on the history of the Adama family and the birth of the Cylons.

Set more than 50 years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, Caprica takes place on the capital world of the Twelve Colonies. There humankind thrives, living in a peaceful society with the benefits of high technology. But the development of an advanced, robotic, artificial life form is about to change everything.

The show is in development by Galactica executive producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, 24 writer Remi Aubuchon, and NBC Universal Television Studio.

Here is the network's own description of the series:

The people of the Twelve Colonies are at peace and living in a society not unlike our own, but where high-technology has changed the lives of virtually everyone for the better. But a startling breakthrough in robotics is about to occur, one that will bring to life the age-old dream of marrying artificial intelligence with a mechanical body to create the first living robot -- a Cylon. Following the lives of two families, the Graystones and the Adamas (the family of William Adama, who will one day become the commander of the Battlestar Galactica) Caprica weaves corporate intrigue, techno-action and sexual politics into television's first science fiction family saga.

The announcement comes as part of SCI FI's development slate of original scripted series, mini-series, reality shows, and new late-night programming, with no word on when Caprica might go into production or premiere on the cable channel. The development slate is a long-look ahead at what the network has planned and likely not a formal pick-up of the show -- and some series, for one reason or another, never see the light of day.

If the show receives an order to go into production, certainly don't expect to see it air this year.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...acticais.shtml

Raph's Girl note: Umm... do we really need a prequel???
Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

I like the idea of a prequel, but.. 50 years? There goes my hopes of more non-bald Tigh and 70s-mustachioed Adama. I suppose they want to give themselves a fair amount of play with their timeline, so they don't end up stepping on the toes of BSG if the spinoff survives more than a couple seasons.

Considering all the exposition we really had about the Twelve Colonies was mostly said and done by the first half of the miniseries, I think there's a good lot to expand on and elaborate.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Eeer....and what about the Caprica resistance forces still opposing The Cylons in the present? Should'nt they equally earn a spin-off?
Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo
Eeer....and what about the Caprica resistance forces still opposing The Cylons in the present? Should'nt they equally earn a spin-off?
The Cylons left Caprica and gave Starbuck time to save the entire resistance force.

Spoilers for the season 2 finale:

Spoiler:
The people lived on a new planet, New Caprica, for a year with the moronic Baltar as their president.

The Cylons found them (the planet was in a space cloude) following a radiation trail (one of the 6's destroyed Cloud 9 with an atomic bomb).

The season ended with Baltar surrendering and New Caprica being taken over by the Cylons. (The fleet ran off as soon as their sensors picked up the Cylon fleet).
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #15
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance

SCIFI.COM's SCI FI Pulse video feature will debut Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance, a 10-episode Web series filling the gap between seasons two and three and telling the story of the birth of the human resistance movement and its determined fight against the Cylon occupation.

No word on when this starts but at least this is something to watch while waiting for season 3 to start in October. Sci-fi pulse has many cool things...including deleted scenes from eps of Ghost Hunters and interviews.
http://www.scifi.com/pulse/
Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
damnhooligan
Mad Scientist

Thank the Lords of Kobol. I was hoping that's what they'd make the web episodes about.

It almost makes up for the 2.0/2.5 season break. Almost.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #17
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Okay, I have now watched two seasons of Galactica in less than ten days. I am very, very upset about having to wait until October for new episodes.

But all in all, the seriees is full of surprises which all happen at times you'd never expect them to happen. Very good writing. Also, they manage to make the evil characters look nice and the good ones like vilains. I mean, who forgot about Sharon and the admiral?

So what does everyone expect from season three?

Frakking Baltar...

Last edited by Anarky; 08-04-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I don't know what to expect from season 3, and I've learned not to make assumptions about this series, because the writers are always so unpredictable. Either way, I do know one thing that I learned from Tricia Helfer (number six) & Aaron Douglas (Galen Tyrol "Chief") ath a Sci-Fi con. Somebody is gonna' die.

Battlestar kicks so much ass it's not even funny.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #19
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

There's a lot of peopledying every episode. But I hope it won't be Cally or the Chief. I like the two of them. Also, Starbuck probably won't die, but maybe her husband will. That'd make some great drama...

But yes, the writing is excellent. Predictability is zero, and that's probably why I like this show so much.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
There's a lot of peopledying every episode. But I hope it won't be Cally or the Chief. I like the two of them. Also, Starbuck probably won't die, but maybe her husband will. That'd make some great drama..
It really would'nt, given his death is flat out predicatble and he really has only appeared in a few episodes during the season. The real drama will come from one of the long term characters who may die according to rumours, and from Adama wondering whenever or not to jump back to New Caprica with Apollo.

Tags
battlestar galcuckticka, cylonsklingonssjws