The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
Uhuh. Humour either ages well or it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't.

And it's just great how in the span of about a decade's worth of episodes the animators still couldn't keep track of which voice belonged to which turtle or indeed learn not to have two Leonardos (or Donatellos, or Raphaels) in a single shot.
What does animation errors have to do with anything? All shows have those, they were just more noticeable with TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
Peanut
Second Gear

Are you serious? Horrible, lazy and continuous animation errors don't have anything to do with the quality of a show, but you're sh*tting on Avatar for being influenced by Eastern animation styles?

You're full on clown shoes, dude.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Are you serious? Horrible, lazy and continuous animation errors don't have anything to do with the quality of a show, but you're sh*tting on Avatar for being influenced by Eastern animation styles?

You're full on clown shoes, dude.
Different animation styles is for different tastes. I'm sure we've all been turned off from certain shows by their design. A lot of people for example hated the Spectacular Spiderman designs or that the Nick TMNT cartoon is CG, whereas I don't have any problems with that.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #44
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I was in high school in the 90's, yet I STILL came home every afternoon or woke up early enough on Saturday mornings to watch all those "great" cartoons like OT TMNT, Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman TAS, and Gargoyles. None of the cartoons from the past decade have done that for me- until the Nick TMNT. Simpsons was pretty good in the beginning, but as time went on, that one has just soured for me. (I have two cousins who absolutely INSISTED on watching it EVERY TIME IT CAME ON- for nearly three years. At two episodes a night, I got tired of it REAL quick.)

But 2000's toons better? Not in my book. I have avoided most of the newer Nick stuff like the plague, since most of it seems trite, low-brow, and terribly uninspired. Spongebob, Phineas and Ferb, Cat-Dog, and others, and even a lot of the newer Disney and WB material just feels so childish, as in on the level of a five-year-old to me. There are a FEW gems- 2K3 TMNT (which I only recently rediscovered- I knew "of" it back then, but by the time I was ever able to watch any of the "original" run, I got- FF.... Yeeah.)

I DO love some of the older CN anime block on Adult Swim- mostly FMA and Inuyasha, as well as the first two&1/2 seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh, and SOME of the early Digimon stuff, but that's about it. Everything else just struck me as mostly trash that was only fun for the 7-under crowd. I like my cartoons to actually make me feel like I haven't just lowered my IQ by watching them, and unfortunately, most 2000's toons do just that. Plus, this past decade gave us both Dora and Diego. Need I say more?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #45
The Sewer Lord
Hench Mutant

Out of the currently airing shows, I view Adventure Time, Regular Show (although that's becoming quite dull), Gravity Falls, the new TMNT, and that's pretty much it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But, NINJAS.

Yeah, if Shinobi was real today they would have used proper modern weaponry, they did use explosives like grenades.

but ninjas are always in the black karate Gi with masks and go flippy dippy and swings their awesome totally authentic ninjatos and throws star shaped-only shuriken or NINJAS STARS!
The Sewer Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Out of current animated shows, the only one I'm watching is Nick's TMNT. Funny thing is, I only started watching that one for the sake of completion, since I've seen every episode of the two previous series (and even some of the NM) while I've been delving back into my first cartoon/comic/"superhero" love.

I've tried watching some of the new cartoons that air on Saturday mornings when I have it off, but for the life of me I just can't get into any of them.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #47
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I was in high school in the 90's, yet I STILL came home every afternoon or woke up early enough on Saturday mornings to watch all those "great" cartoons like OT TMNT, Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman TAS, and Gargoyles. None of the cartoons from the past decade have done that for me- until the Nick TMNT. Simpsons was pretty good in the beginning, but as time went on, that one has just soured for me. (I have two cousins who absolutely INSISTED on watching it EVERY TIME IT CAME ON- for nearly three years. At two episodes a night, I got tired of it REAL quick.)

But 2000's toons better? Not in my book. I have avoided most of the newer Nick stuff like the plague, since most of it seems trite, low-brow, and terribly uninspired. Spongebob, Phineas and Ferb, Cat-Dog, and others, and even a lot of the newer Disney and WB material just feels so childish, as in on the level of a five-year-old to me. There are a FEW gems- 2K3 TMNT (which I only recently rediscovered- I knew "of" it back then, but by the time I was ever able to watch any of the "original" run, I got- FF.... Yeeah.)

I DO love some of the older CN anime block on Adult Swim- mostly FMA and Inuyasha, as well as the first two&1/2 seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh, and SOME of the early Digimon stuff, but that's about it. Everything else just struck me as mostly trash that was only fun for the 7-under crowd. I like my cartoons to actually make me feel like I haven't just lowered my IQ by watching them, and unfortunately, most 2000's toons do just that. Plus, this past decade gave us both Dora and Diego. Need I say more?
Wow.

Dora and Diego is the example you go for? Pre-schooler programming? Are you joking? You know that shows for real little kids has always been around right?

Cartoons ARE mostly made for kids. Some bridge the gap and have story arcs with character development and some are just fun little shows. Don't act like EVERY cartoon in the 90s had adults in mind too. Nothing's changed or gotten worse. You've just gotten older.

@~<3 Mom~@

Last edited by The Stryker; 06-04-2013 at 07:31 PM.
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #48
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The 90s had its moments, mostly due to Warner Bros. willing to spend a little more on their programming and the FOX network willing to take some bold risks early in their existence.

But, no. The 90s were not the best ever.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

What about niche shows like Jackie Chan Adventures or Skeleton Warriors?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #50
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post

Wow. I can't believe I'd ever think it, but you're probably worse than CyberCubed.

Also, Phineas and Ferb is a Disney joint. Shows how much you know.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #51
Peanut
Second Gear

Shh, man. Let him be. We don't understand high-brow, intelligent, adult entertainment like X-Men: TAS or OT TMNT. That's on us.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #52
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You know a show is high-brow when half the episode is recapping previous episodes.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #53
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Cartoons ARE mostly made for kids. Some bridge the gap and have story arcs with character development and some are just fun little shows. Don't act like EVERY cartoon in the 90s had adults in mind too. Nothing's changed or gotten worse. You've just gotten older.
Bam. Discussion = over.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:16 AM   #54
ZariusTwo
Overlord

See, this is why I avoid dens like Goon Zone...the level of snobbery and dismissiveness of 2000s-era animation nutsos just goes overboard at times, they always try to convince you you're somehow a fool for liking material that is somewhat "dated" by today's conventions and if you try to defend them, you're mocked and made fun of. It shows very high levels of insecurity on their part.

Some of us thankfully arent intimidated into following the pack. I can enjoy shows from all eras, and that is my victory over them. Don't feel stupid or silly for still preferring the older TMNT or Transformers over lousy CGI s*ite like Prime, it's all to do with what you get the most enjoyment out of. Nostalgia does not have to be a burden.

Again, the last laugh will be when these contradictory sheep all eventually turn on their precious 2000s era when they start to age badly compared to cartoons of the next era...'cause as Stryker says, an aging audience plays a factor in many of these shows standing up or falling down. Some shows are very sophisticated from those eras...but again, who cares if some shows from other eras ARENT? If they're still fun to you, that's that matters and no amount of elitist animation snobbery can deter you from thinking that.

Although...'Cubed, I'll back you up against the sheep in some places, but some of your reasons are a bit silly. Avatar's a good show.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 06-05-2013 at 03:57 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #55
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

What sheep?

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #56
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
What sheep?
It's Zarius-Talk for: 'People that don't agree with me'.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #57
Sword Slicin' Leo
Stone Warrior

Absolutely!!! TMNT,Tale Spin,Ducktales,Chip N Dale,Darkwing Duck,X-Men,Spiderman,Doug even the bad cartoons like stone protectors better than todays
Sword Slicin' Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the reason some people don't like 2000 era shows much isn't because they are bad, but simply because that's when they stopped watching many cartoons.

Back in the 2000's many of us were in High School and entering College, we didn't watch as much cartoons as we used to. So that could be a reason, simply because we didn't see "many quality" cartoons.

Whereas back in the 90's we were kids and just had the TV's on all day.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #59
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Although...'Cubed, I'll back you up against the sheep in some places, but some of your reasons are a bit silly. Avatar's a good show.
I don't think ANYONE here is defending something blindly, putting down an entire era in favour of another, or acting like the "sheep" you're so above, so I don't know why you're even bringing that **** up. The only person here that's being straight up dismissive of anything is CyberClown.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #60
The Sewer Lord
Hench Mutant

Okay, I need to clear something out first.
The nineties and the twenty-first century had very different kind of shows.

In the nineties, most of the cartoons were action series.
On the other hand, most of the TV shows today are satiric comedies with "kidonized", more appropriate variant of the humor present in series like the The Simpsons.

Thought I could state that before you guys continue with your discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
But, NINJAS.

Yeah, if Shinobi was real today they would have used proper modern weaponry, they did use explosives like grenades.

but ninjas are always in the black karate Gi with masks and go flippy dippy and swings their awesome totally authentic ninjatos and throws star shaped-only shuriken or NINJAS STARS!
The Sewer Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peanut