Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #3401
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
The glowing green bat suggests to me that April has mutagenic powers.
I wouldn't be surprised if those powers are similar to GL.
The April toy comes with a normal bat and a translucent magical bat like the Turtles get 2 versions of their weapons, so I'd recon her glowing bat is similar to the Turtles magical weapon effects.
Spoiler:

Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #3402
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Personally, I'm kind of half expecting the "cat" to talk and essentially be this show's version of Spike from My Little Pony.
Shhhh, don't leak any more inside info about that crossover

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #3403
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
The April toy comes with a normal bat and a translucent magical bat like the Turtles get 2 versions of their weapons, so I'd recon her glowing bat is similar to the Turtles magical weapon effects.
Did I miss something about magic?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #3404
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Looks like this isn't the first time that Ben Schwartz has voiced a teenage ninja.

Spoiler:

Now, I wonder if Leonardo will take cues from Randy Cunningham's character ...

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #3405
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
Did I miss something about magic?
"Magic" = mystic arts a la Iron Fist
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #3406
AlessandraDC
Thug

For the record I like boring old Leo! Not to say that I won't give the new cartoon a chance but he sounds like a different character. I think it's a challenge for writers to do justice to a character who might be quiet and serious.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #3407
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
For the record I like boring old Leo! Not to say that I won't give the new cartoon a chance but he sounds like a different character. I think it's a challenge for writers to do justice to a character who might be quiet and serious.
Me too, though I think of him as balanced as rather than boring The extent of different remains to be seen still though.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #3408
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
I don't feel 2012 Leo was boring tbh..

1. He's dorky and awkward. He's so into board games and cosplay dress up.
2. He's the most cute and good looking out of all the brothers imo. He's got a gorgeous smile with a set of pearly white Colgate teeth.
3. When he's got a temper tantrum, he'll turn grumpy and kick stuff aka he's such a sap
4. But when it comes to discipline and martial arts, he's in top form.
5. And when it comes to battle to the death and sacrificing himself, he's the first one to do so.

He's pretty wholesome tbh.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #3409
AlessandraDC
Thug

I say "boring" with lots of love! 😊 Leo has been my fave for a looong time! And I was thrilled that 2012 developed his character beyond just the leadership role. If you take leadership away, I would still expect him to be someone who works hard, is a rule follower and a bit of a control freak, respects traditions, maybe a bit dorky... lol
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #3410
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I don't feel 2012 Leo was boring tbh..

1. He's dorky and awkward. He's so into board games and cosplay dress up.
2. He's the most cute and good looking out of all the brothers imo. He's got a gorgeous smile with a set of pearly white Colgate teeth.
3. When he's got a temper tantrum, he'll turn grumpy and kick stuff aka he's such a sap
4. But when it comes to discipline and martial arts, he's in top form.
5. And when it comes to battle to the death and sacrificing himself, he's the first one to do so.

He's pretty wholesome tbh.

Yeah I was thinking of 2012 Leo, he has the leader type qualities (dedication, discipline, seriousness/focus) but also he has a fun, warm and geeky side. They all have qualities but he was my fav.
I do like what I have seen of Leo in some other incarnations too, still a lot of the qualities from what I can tell so far, just not done exploring them yet.

Last edited by newfan; 02-22-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #3411
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

That's far I think my favorite Leo was exasperated rooftop Leo from the CG movie.

Followed very closely by the Leo we get in Michael Dooney's "Challenges" graphic novel.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #3412
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah I was thinking of 2012 Leo, he has the leader type qualities (dedication, discipline, seriousness/focus) but also he has a fun, warm and geeky side. They all have qualities but he was my fav.
I do like what I have seen of Leo in some other incarnations too, still a lot of the qualities from what I can tell so far, just not done exploring them yet.
He has all good qualities of leader. He also has a geeky side to remind us all that even though he strives to be someone his brothers can loyally look up to, he is still a child.

But he still has flaws. But he doesn’t really ballence when he should be a leader and when he should be a big brother. Sometimes there are moments where he approches his brothers as a leader to an underling when really he should approch them more as a brother and friend.

In many cases he tends to focus on the the larger problem rather then really acknowledging or giving any problems his brothers may be having. Yes, the larger problem does hold more precedence. And 9 times out of 10 the issues a brother may be having would be superficial in comparison to the greater problem. But if there are going to be problems because of those issues the sooner they are dealt with the better.

He also tends brush off ideas that he doesn’t see a practical use for or he feels don’t really have a place in their lifestyle. But rather then really expressing the real reason for his concerns such as “It will put us at risk of being seen?” “It would draw too much attention” he would just simply say “Yeah we aren’t doing that?”

Other times he will pressure his brothers into doing tasks. And when they find they are having difficulty with the task or they are distracting themselves with their own doubts he barks orders at them such as “We need you to do this!” “We will die if you don’t do this right now!” When really he should be throwing encouragments such as “I know you are able to do this” or “If anyone one is capable, I know its you.”
Old 02-22-2018, 05:51 PM   #3413
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I like "boring" old Leo too, though he's not boring to me. There's a lot of depth to that guy, but it's deep and subtle. A lot of Donnie's interesting characteristics are made obvious via his work. The other two wear much of theirs on their sleeve loud and proud. Leo is more for those who appreciate (and/or relate to) that personally type, the kind of person he is and what he's about.

Well, until this new series seems to have decided that his personalty type doesn't have a place in it. I hope whatever comes after it brings a return of real Leo and this show remains just a one off thing.

My fave Nick (2012) additions to him though... the blue eyes and the dorky fanboy side of him. I think him being a fanboy over some cartoon probably helped hook me when I came across that series. Seeing my fave sitting there looking younger and grinning wide eyed over Space Heroes... Totally reminded me of myself watching HIS original series back in the day. lol Full circle a bit, seeing him kinda turn into me after all these years.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-22-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #3414
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
There's a lot of depth to that guy, but it's deep
You don't say.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #3415
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You don't say.
lmao

Thanks, Cure, I needed a good laugh
Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #3416
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, yeah.. knew someone was gonna say something other than actually take into account what I meant... Kind of an OT Raph, aren't ya; mostly wisecracks, not much else.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #3417
AlessandraDC
Thug

Quote:
I like "boring" old Leo too, though he's not boring to me. There's a lot of depth to that guy, but it's deep and subtle. A lot of Donnie's interesting characteristics are made obvious via his work. The other two wear much of theirs on their sleeve loud and proud. Leo is more for those who appreciate (and/or relate to) that personally type, the kind of person he is and what he's about.

Well, until this new series seems to have decided that his personalty type doesn't have a place in it. I hope whatever comes after it brings a return of real Leo and this show remains just a one off thing.

My fave Nick (2012) additions to him though... the blue eyes and the dorky fanboy side of him. I think him being a fanboy over some cartoon probably helped hook me when I came across that series. Seeing my fave sitting there looking younger and grinning wide eyed over Space Heroes... Totally reminded me of myself watching HIS original series back in the day. lol Full circle a bit, seeing him kinda turn into me after all these years.
I agree! And his development is subtle, which is why I think he's more of a challenge for writers. Hopefully the new show keeps some of his character intact!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #3418
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Leo never came off as "boring" too me.
In fact the none of the turtles are.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM   #3419
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Sigh... This looks so weird. I mean if you make Raph leader and Leo ... whatever the hell he is... then they arent Raph and Leo anymore. In most incarnations Mikey and Donny would be too smart to follow someone so impulsive and iron fisted as Raph.

Anyway, hopefully if kids like this show they will research the other versions and learn about their merits as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #3420
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

So, I came across this on Tumblr.

Quote:
Leo

*Red-eared slider turtle
*He’s got a certain swagger to him
*Incredibly intelligent
*He boasts irreverent charm and a rebel heart
*He doesn’t have a burden of leadership so he’s more free, laid back
*Kind of a smart buddy, what he does is always quippy
*The kind of guy who’d say “Look I don’t mean to be condescending, oh I’m sorry, that means; talk down to you.”
*Very lean
*Uses a ōdachi sword
*Mikey and Leo have the special relationship, Mikey is the youngest brother and Leo takes him under his wing
*He’s the kind of guy who creates catchphrases
They're quotes from the recent podcast, apparently.

Regardless, these descriptions seem to hint at an interesting and dynamic characterization for Leo. It seems like he will have some sort of sarcastic/ dead-pan type of personality, with a Spider-Man-like twist. In short, he will be an every-man type character.

It also looks like he will be extremely arrogant, maybe even aggressively so. Combine that with the supposedly charismatic/jester-like traits he'll possess, and I think you will end up with a type of character that will consistently make a fool out of himself.

I'm imagining a scenario where Leonardo's thinking up of a clever catchphrase, while he is in the middle of a battle. Of course, when he finally comes up with one, he'll botch the execution, while making a fool out of himself in the process. He might get hit in the process of making that catchphrase, or he might ignore the villain (of the week, perhaps), who then goes on to try to get his brothers.

However, his toy description labels him as a "trickster" ...

Maybe he will have self-esteem issues? I don't know ...

Last edited by Papenbrook; 02-26-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters