The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, I can't see them being "in deep sh*t" but I can definitely see them sweating, especially at the long-term prospects. That Star Wars park they tried to do was apparently off to a very shaky start, and people have been complaining about the expense and inconvenience of going to Disney theme parks for ages, now.

The pandemic situation exacerbates all of that, because "social distancing", in some form or other, is not going away, which means at the very least there will be some sort of federal mandate declaring "only X number of people allowed in at a time", which is going to cost them money. I just read something earlier today about the airline industry being f*cked for the next five to ten years over this situation, which means less people traveling from all over the world to go to Disney parks and stay in Disney hotels. And the scary thing nobody wants to really talk about: The fact that MOST of the jobs that people are presently laid off from are not coming back, EVER, and that we're looking down the barrel of not another Recession, but a Depression, even if things magically snap back to "normal" tomorrow, which they won't. It's already too late to prevent it. Half the country's going to be out of work for the next few years. A typical Disney theme park trip for a family of four costs between five and ten thousand dollars including travel and hotels. Do the math.

People are going to WANT to go out and do stuff as soon as we "end the shutdown", but the sad fact is, most people aren't going to have the money to put gas in their car to get to their third job interview of the day while hoping to land a fry cook job at McDonald's to replace the high-paying job they went to school for that now no longer exists. SO, Disney theme parks are going to be a lot less densely populated - and thus less profitable - for the next several years, because they won't be legally allowed to let as many people in and only the very rich will be able to afford to go in the first place.

So, I don't know,"deep sh*t" may be too harsh, but they're definitely going to looking at every alternative source of revenue they can because they're going to be taking some deep cuts for a while. It's unavoidable. They're "too big to fail" but they're definitely going to have some tough road ahead.

I can definitely see some of their worldwide parks closing. Maybe Star Wars Land or whatever, since people weren't feeling it anyway and they were losing money on it before this. They might even go so far as to decide that two Disney parks in America is one too many. I wouldn't be surprised by anything, at this point. We'll just have to see what happens.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

The only thing I can think about when I read the title of this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYocoMJIrPA

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #23
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They might even go so far as to decide that two Disney parks in America is one too many.
If that ever happens, the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida would probably have to say goodbye, not the Disneyland Park in California.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-19-2020 at 05:15 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:09 PM   #25
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Disney+ CEO Kevin Mater jumps to run Tik Tok

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52717333
I had no idea Disney+ had its own CEO. How many employees does that division have?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company is in the throes of a major leadership shift, with newly minted CEO Bob Chapek asserting more authority as the longtime leader he replaced, Bob Iger, prepares to surrender his executive chairman role for emeritus status at year-end.

The two men’s once-warm relationship has grown strained, according to four insiders. This comes as Chapek has overseen a 2020 reorganization that centralized the media company’s content distribution and ad sales.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/d...on-1234971562/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Civil War inside the House of Mouse?
Sounds more exciting than new Star Wars!

I wish it would tore Disney apart, but, it is really unlikely.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #28
IMJ
Emperor

Hangers-on to the current Clown-World reality we are in will blame the Pandemic completely and disregard Disney's utterly incompetent Woke agenda push as a catalyst for the failures that called for this....

Diversity is great. And it was always there.
Woke agenda is phony. And it's an assault rather than an inclusion.

People don't like being assaulted or preached to when they've done no wrong and so go woke, go broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Civil War inside the House of Mouse?
Sounds more exciting than new Star Wars!

I wish it would tore Disney apart, but, it is really unlikely.
In many ways Disney is a staple of freedom-through-capitalism and has represented the most lighthearted of family-fun in America. I hate what it's become, but I certainly hope that it isn't torn apart, but instead re-aligns itself from it's current pandering-to-the-people-of-social-media, and goes back to being a great place for anyone to go to.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #29
AquaParade
Banned

Marvel gonna reverse-buy Disney with all their success. Don't tell me what's impossible.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #30
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
In many ways Disney is a staple of freedom-through-capitalism and has represented the most lighthearted of family-fun in America. I hate what it's become, but I certainly hope that it isn't torn apart, but instead re-aligns itself from it's current pandering-to-the-people-of-social-media, and goes back to being a great place for anyone to go to.
The problem is Disney, as with most American entertainment corporations, have fallen to the strict Chinese Communist censorship rules. If the companies do not follow the censorship rules, the companies lose a tremendous amount of business by not having the Chinese market, and the project will probably get cancelled as it is far less lucrative. China won't even allow Disney to show Winnie the Pooh over there. lol

See:
https://www.axios.com/hollywood-movi...394414698.html

I think the following succiently summarizes the effect China has had, from the above link:
Quote:
The bottom line: Despite the handwringing over China's economic ability to suppress Americans' freedom of speech, Hollywood film studios have willingly ceded their artistry to China's censors for years — on issues big and small — in pursuit of the almighty dollar.
Looks like Communist China succeeded where the Soviet Union didn't in stifling American free speech.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:27 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
The problem is Disney, as with most American entertainment corporations, have fallen to the strict Chinese Communist censorship rules. If the companies do not follow the censorship rules, the companies lose a tremendous amount of business by not having the Chinese market, and the project will probably get cancelled as it is far less lucrative. China won't even allow Disney to show Winnie the Pooh over there. lol

See:
https://www.axios.com/hollywood-movi...394414698.html

I think the following succiently summarizes the effect China has had, from the above link:

Looks like Communist China succeeded where the Soviet Union didn't in stifling American free speech.
This is not entirely unfounded. Entire plot elements of Iron Man 3 and the Mandarin character were significantly changed or abandoned simply for the Chinese box office.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #32
Sumac
Banned

I am afraid current status quo can't be destroyed without collapse.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:22 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Wish" flopped.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/b...ns-1235808957/
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:47 PM   #34
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why am I not surprised?

It’s pretty much a given at this point for a Disney movie to flop
Old 11-26-2023, 08:10 PM   #35
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Why am I not surprised?

It’s pretty much a given at this point for a Disney movie to flop
Sadly true yes

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:38 PM   #36
neatoman
Emperor

I'm not entirely clear what the problem is with Wish yet, I haven't seen it, I've only seen other people complain about it elsewhere. Something about how the villain is essentially just treated like a villain because the plot demands it, something like that, right?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 11-26-2023 at 08:44 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:40 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like it's not woke or anything, it's just really, really stupid and safe and the songs all suck.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:03 PM   #38
Sumac
Banned

Watch how the mighty had fallen...
And it goes both to Pixar and Disney.

Well deserved, when you sell out your creativity for the formulas and ideology you deserve to fail.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:05 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I suspect this means they're going to fast-track a lot of "surefire hits" in the days ahead. Finding Nemo 3, Toy Story 5, another Cars movie probably, etc..
Old 12-07-2023, 10:00 PM   #40
KRANGANDMIKEYFAN
Random Punk

Im boycotting Disney for their leftist views.
KRANGANDMIKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote