The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
pferreira
Foot Elite

Question About Euro Season Animation

Hi,

Was looking through some of the FW cartoon credits and checked the Euro vacation episodes to see the company behind these episodes. Up until this point due to reading about it somewhere I was under the impression Fred Wolf Films had a French branch of their company making these episodes. I was wrong. The episodes were animated it seems by Studio I.D.D.H. Is this common knowledge amongst fans and I'm stating the obvious or is this something you guys weren't aware of?

The other thing I wanted to bring up is this information that AKOM and TMS Entertainment animated certain episodes of the series, the well known being The Turtle Terminator and Turtles on Trial respectively. For the latter I see no credit for TMS in the credits of the episode. I mean if they worked on the show I would think the company would get some kind of credit. I wouldn't say Fred Wolf was above that considering Dai Won were credited for Season 7. For the former AKOM is not listed as doing the animation for that episode and was in fact done by Fred Wolf Dublin. So my question is where did this (mis)information that AKOM and TMS animated a couple of episodes, specifically those come from?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The Eifel Tower elevator had a sign labelled Ascenseur in Tower of Power. But the police car sign in the Netherlands was labelled Police and not Politie in April Get's in Dutch.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
pferreira
Foot Elite

So what does that have to do with my questions? Could you please clarify, not understanding you.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I wasn’t aware of this. I never paid much attention to who animated what anyway but I figured some episodes were animated in Dublin alright. There’s some interesting information in the article below.

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-repo...ation-ireland/
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Overlord

In some episodes, New York City traffic is seen moving to the left side of the road. That may indicate a mistake by producers in the Republic of Ireland.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I wasn’t aware of this. I never paid much attention to who animated what anyway but I figured some episodes were animated in Dublin alright. There’s some interesting information in the article below.

https://www.rte.ie/news/special-repo...ation-ireland/
Cool find, shame I can't play the videos attached. Yeah it seems some episodes during Season 3 and 4 were animated through Fred Wolf's Dublin branch. They definitely weren't the ones though to animate the Euro episodes as stated above. It appeared to be a co-op between Fred Wolf Films and Studio I.D.D.H.

I still can't work out why people think TMS worked on the show along with AKOM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Any ideas why people think TMS and AKOM worked on the show?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Any ideas why people think TMS and AKOM worked on the show?
If you're talking about season 3, maybe no studio had time to produce all 47 episodes in time.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
If you're talking about season 3, maybe no studio had time to produce all 47 episodes in time.
Well definitely Turtles on Trial doesn't have their credit. Unless it was another episode. I know some Season 3 episodes were animated by Fred Wolf Dublin.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Overlord

Washington Post

I found a Washington Post article dated August 1990

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.cb6e0c619289

Here is the death of Jimmy Murakami in February 2014

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...stry-1.1708569

More here:

https://www.brownbagfilms.com/labs/e...classiccartoon
Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I found a Washington Post article dated August 1990
Wow, good find but now I'm confused:

1) How many episodes were animated in Dublin? The article seems to suggest at least half of the show which is strange when you take into account how little credit the Dublin branch gets in the credits. Having said that I haven't checked all the episodes myself.

2) Another thing that I noticed is when it says South Korea animated a huge amount of episodes but unfortunately doesn't specific which studios. Either way they aren't credited. My only guess could be both these teams animated most of the show if not all of Seasons 3-6 (the ones we don't have company animation info on) and the varied animation styles were the result of A, B and C teams. I never considered that before as I never considered the Dublin branch a big studio therefore I thought that wouldn't be possible for them to have different teams.

Quote:
More here:
A couple of facts in that article are quite wrong. TMNT wasn't produced in 97/98 and the Euro episodes certainly didn't get produced the same time as Zorro.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #12
Overlord

Zorro

Quote:
A couple of facts in that article are quite wrong. TMNT wasn't produced in 97/98 and the Euro episodes certainly didn't get produced the same time as Zorro.
But it's true it was season 7 (but set during season 4)

Which Zorro do they mean of all these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro_(disambiguation))

The 1981 one is from Filmation Studios, and the 1993 one is live-action

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 03-01-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
But it's true it was season 4 (but set during season 4)
But the article makes out it was done the time of the published article.

Quote:
Which Zorro do they mean of all these?
Fred Wolf produced this cartoon series in 1997. Nice animation:

Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
Overlord

Quote:
Nice animation:
I guess by 1997 animation technology in general had improved since 1993.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I guess by 1997 animation technology in general had improved since 1993.
TMNT's Season 7 animation was still pretty good. I think the animation companies being used had got into their groove.

Would still be nice to have a log of which company animated what. If we go by the assumption that Fred Wolf Dublin had an A, B and C team then that's still just half of the episodes from Season 3-6. If the other half are from South Korea there's no way to identify which company worked on which.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
TMNT's Season 7 animation was still pretty good..
Animation in Vacation in Europe (1992) is also better than most ordinary season 4 episodes. Season 6 is also OK.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Animation in Vacation in Europe (1992) is also better than most ordinary season 4 episodes.
Oh no no no, it was horrendous. It was on par with a lot of the worst animated episodes of Season 4. The difference between the Euro episodes and Season 7 episodes is huge. I can understand why as well as the Euro episodes happened before CBS picked up the show. The show was still in syndication with poor budgets with the Euro episodes animation sourced outside of Fred Wolf Films.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Oh no no no, it was horrendous. It was on par with a lot of the worst animated episodes of Season 4. The difference between the Euro episodes and Season 7 episodes is huge. I can understand why as well as the Euro episodes happened before CBS picked up the show. The show was still in syndication with poor budgets with the Euro episodes animation sourced outside of Fred Wolf Films.
I personally liked the European Vacation alot more than the mainstream season 4 episodes for having a change of pace, but the animation itself left a lot to be desired.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I personally liked the European Vacation alot more than the mainstream season 4 episodes for having a change of pace, but the animation itself left a lot to be desired.
I agree. The alternate voices didn't help either. Nevertheless I get the impression Studio I.D.D.H took their work very seriously.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
Overlord

France

So, the French studio may explain why we have three episodes set in France (if you count the beginning of Turtles on the Orient Express).