The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Fan Creations > Fan Works Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #221
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I've also got a pain-staking amount of pre-production work to do on this next novella, I have to watch a lot of videos on the Tournament Fighters game and absorb all the various fighting moves and powers, as well as research the characters you can select in the game, also reread one of my earlier fanfics to refresh the memory, and then rewatch episodes of another 80s cartoon (bit of a clue to what's being followed up on there) before commencing on this. I'm also in the process of writing two Doctor Who novellas/novels and I want them out of the way before I commence further.
Quote:
...And here you made me think that it would take a couple of months to start this 9th novella of yours.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 AM   #222
ZariusTwo
Overlord

For me there's zero difference between a couple of weeks and a couple of months
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #223
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"The Cheap Seats With The Clearest View" has concluded. It was always intended to be just a few chapters long, but I ended it prematurley because I got incredibly frustrated with the way I was telling the story. This is probably the most disjointed mess I've ever written and it'll be up to you lot to decide if it's alright the way it is or if I should delete the last two chapters and try to continue for as long as possible. I think I just need a break from these books
Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #224
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Well, I do feel there's more potential coming up with this book, but I can understand where you're frustrated. I say leave it as is for now and if you want to get back into it after a break, then you can continue it from where you left off. And if you're stuck, you can always ask us what we'd like to see and to bounce ideas off of. I'd be glad to help with that if you need it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #225
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Well, I do feel there's more potential coming up with this book, but I can understand where you're frustrated. I say leave it as is for now and if you want to get back into it after a break, then you can continue it from where you left off. And if you're stuck, you can always ask us what we'd like to see and to bounce ideas off of. I'd be glad to help with that if you need it.
Thanks Bubbly. I'll leave it for a week and then see how I feel about it. I'll be sure to ask for suggestions too, maybe making it an interactive experiance would excite me more
Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #226
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, that's the best way to do things. Sometimes bouncing ideas off of someone never hurts because they can help with the creative process.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #227
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I decided to delete the last two chapters and do something else with the story, I'm open to suggestions on things
Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #228
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Awesome. As I said on FF, I'd like to see more about the tournament and how the Turtles ended up fighting there, so that would be a good thing to elaborate on.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #229
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Awesome. As I said on FF, I'd like to see more about the tournament and how the Turtles ended up fighting there, so that would be a good thing to elaborate on.
You'll get more of that in the next chapter
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #230
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yep, I read it. Awesome how you're setting things up.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #231
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
"The Cheap Seats With The Clearest View" has concluded. It was always intended to be just a few chapters long, but I ended it prematurley because I got incredibly frustrated with the way I was telling the story. This is probably the most disjointed mess I've ever written and it'll be up to you lot to decide if it's alright the way it is or if I should delete the last two chapters and try to continue for as long as possible. I think I just need a break from these books
Quote:
I decided to delete the last two chapters and do something else with the story, I'm open to suggestions on things
So I finished up Chapter 7, and I think I have an idea of how you may have had problems here with everything being disjointed. I think you have maybe too many characters mixed in together with too much going on, not just at one time (the present moment), but several times (with the present [at the tournament and back at New York City], flashbacks of the past, and dream sequences). Not to be critical, but for my reading style (in focusing on the details), it's taxing trying to keep track of, and separate so much going on so quickly with each character in multiple time frames and mental states of consciousness.

I'll explain my situation... Whenever I start off, I keep track of each of the characters here since these fanfics have strong continuity, so we have Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael, April, and Irma at the present moment, but those story of events are multiplied twice now because I have to consider not only what's occurring now, but what happened to them in the past (how April got involved in fighting within the tournament, how Donatello became Don Hunt, how Donatello left the Turtles and Splinter, Splinter being kidnapped). Then there's another "layer" of events going on in terms of the mental/dream realm with Michelangelo, Donatello, and Irma. In addition there are reintroduced characters here: Baxter, Metalhead, the relevance of Sagan, the aspects of Pen Pal Soda ordeal, and after skimming through Chapter 8, I totally forgot that I had to consider Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady too. Do you kind of see how everything is evolving in being too complex perhaps? Where more of the reader's effort is trying to figure out the series of events on what happened to who, at this time, because of this event, and how it affects the overall story rather than having a more relaxed narrative approach in accompanying the adventures the Turtles have had.

This is an idea I'm throwing out there, but I think the reader needs some consistent stable setting (or environment or time frame) because the settings change so much with so many characters, it's hard for the reader to know what storyline is primarily important or what they can refer to if they lose track of things. I counted up the number times the setting changes within the eight chapters so far, and it does so 11 times. That's a lot...

I hope what I said above helps in some way... and that it's articulate enough to describe the situation I'm in, in reading the complexity of this story. ...But then again, you know my reading style with details, so maybe I'm not reading this story in the best approach.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 09-07-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #232
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Advice noted mate.

Since having my crisis of confidence, I've actually grown to like the style I've been using in the story. I was simply struggling with coming up with a way of shortening it, but now that it's going to be as long as I want it, not a whole lot is bugging me in regards to how I've paced it so far. If it's confusing you in any way I will try to rein it in and give everyone a much clearer picture with one specific setting, I sort of moved into that area with chapter eight as you will see
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #233
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Advice noted mate.

Since having my crisis of confidence, I've actually grown to like the style I've been using in the story. I was simply struggling with coming up with a way of shortening it, but now that it's going to be as long as I want it, not a whole lot is bugging me in regards to how I've paced it so far. If it's confusing you in any way I will try to rein it in and give everyone a much clearer picture with one specific setting, I sort of moved into that area with chapter eight as you will see
After reading Chapter 8, I'm noticing more of how you are shaping the foundation of the plot, and how all the characters and events are beginning to very slowly come together, yet at the same time effectively not revealing too much. I think with my more analytical approach, I was impatient and looking too much into the details. Ha Ha... I guess I was used to your previous fanfics having a more linear approach in the storywriting, which threw me off, and made me assume you were having difficulty in keeping several aspects of the story together (with the whole "disjointed" statement you made earlier). But this story has a different approach, where there's a wide gap between the ending of the last story to the actual tournament itself, with random scenes trickling in differing locations within this gap. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it was new and ... unexpected. ...I'm guessing maybe you're evolving/expanding your writing style a bit, and trying something new?

I actually had no idea you wanted this fanfic to be a certain length or pace, or from what I am assuming, you had this concept for your previous OT fanfics. I'm curious, how much did you have to edit or change for the sake of length or pacing with your previous fanfics?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #234
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
I'm curious, how much did you have to edit or change for the sake of length or pacing with your previous fanfics?
Well as Bubbly could attest I sometimes have to edit things long after publication, rofl

I somewhat spend days on a direction, then realize it's not really where I want to take it, or I feel I'm falling into "fanfiction trappings" that I perhaps should not wisely indulge in (although sometimes it creeps in regardless of m intent), and rework it. I used to have a style in the earlier stuff where most of the chapters would be about two to three pages tops, and the penultimate chapters would be longer as a reward for readers who'd stuck through with it. Eventually I stopped doing that, probably so the story grabbed readers more in a shorter amount of length and leave them hanging a bit longer,
Old 01-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #235
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Rewrite of "Cheap Seats" completed and all six chapters uploaded. Now goes by the name "The Monocle"

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10993100/1/The-Monocle
Old 07-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #236
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So I thought I'd update this thread with some news

As you may now know, even "The Monocle" was eventually taken down by me as I still wasn't satisfied with how the books were turning out, so I decided that, for most of 2015, they would be going on hiatus while I worked on other projects.

That did'nt mean I was just going to let my universe gather dust, so here are all the in-continuity short stories I've written since then

Two Steps Beyond

To Discipline A Shadow

Beat

The Zoo At The Edge of the Cage

The Order of the Day

These stories ought to tie you over 'till I finally sit down and write the last two books.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #237
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm thinking of using a text-to-speech programme for audio readings of my stories, but I'm worried it won't pronounce some of the Turtles names right. I had a go with one programme on "Zoo at the Edge of the Cage" but Donatello's name didn't come out well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, I started work on yet ANOTHER "book nine", ("The Well-Mannered Way") but I haven't updated it in ages and only Bubbly is really responding to it, I'm not going to delete it like I did the last two attempts at continuing this series, but I'm just very unmotivated with progressing it at the moment.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #238
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I was wondering if anyone would like to illustrate some of these stories as a comic series?

I'd be willing to pay if that helps motivate anyone.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #239
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

These stories are really good, and I like how you took chances with stuff and pout new deatails in there (The dream plane thing with irma, ASpril and Casey already knowing each other, April being a fighter, etc.) not my ideal dream version of TMNT, but a very excellent version nonetheless. If this were an actual TMNT incarnation, I'd love to watch/read it! Good job!
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:39 AM   #240
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ok, maybe trying to commission a comic book is a bit too out of my price range after all. Still, I wouldn't mind someone making some covers for these stories, I intend to publish them as PDF files on my blog when I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
These stories are really good, and I like how you took chances with stuff and pout new deatails in there (The dream plane thing with irma, ASpril and Casey already knowing each other, April being a fighter, etc.) not my ideal dream version of TMNT, but a very excellent version nonetheless. If this were an actual TMNT incarnation, I'd love to watch/read it! Good job!
Thankyou for your input, I appreciate your interest and am glad you'd be keen on seeing this as series or official material, gives me hope for a real job doing this one day