The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

IGN ranks all 8 Spiderman cartoons

Spoiler: Spectacular Spiderman is #1 as expected.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/...eries-2?page=1

Interesting enough looking over that list I'm surprised how many Spiderman cartoons got canceled after just one season. Half the shows on that list only lasted 13 or 26 episodes. Why were they all so short-lived?

The only shows to last a good run was the 1967 one, Spiderman 1994 (65 episodes), and Ultimate is going on to 78 episodes but that show sucks so it doesn't matter.

It's kinda say though that to this day there is no, "definitive" Spiderman cartoon overall. Had Spectacular not been canceled so soon it would have likely been that but it was too short lived.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Expected? I long thought Spider-Man:The Animated Series was the definitive other media depiction. Aside from two things it gets everything so well adapting issues and being its own thing at the same time. Macendale being Hobgoblin while only towards its in did the comics reveal it was really Roderick Kingsley. The other being Electro being the son of the Red Skull instead of Max Dillion both bug me. The numberous attempts since then have not recaptured the magic of Spider-Man:The Animated Series. I watched it on and off and when Spider-Man (2002) saw it on the weekends on ABC Family and eventually watchex it non-stop on Netflix al the way through. Great stuff. All the others are okay to blah.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I think Spectacular and 94 tie for me. Loved both of those shows. I just can't get into Ultimate. It's just too wacky for my tastes. Certainly doesn't feel like Spider-man to me at all, but that's just my opinion. I will say I liked the goblin and Venom/Carnage episodes so far. That's about it.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

How the hell did the CGI piece of crap rank so high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen the complete 94 run via netflix and I thought it was sure to get the top spot, but to have spectacular take the spot top was definitely a welcome surprise. I will have to watch it when I get a chance.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Spectacular is the right answer.

The MTV show is NOT.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'm surprised how high Ultimate Spidey was....yikes.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I will agree that S-M: TAS should have the top spot. It adapted some of the best of the comic book stories, but still had its own identity, much like the X-Men cartoon of the same era. One of my favorite arcs from that series was the one with Punisher, Kraven, and the Man-Spider mutation. And unlike the comics, Kraven was a much more sympathetic character. So was Venom, and Carnage was just so amazingly done! And Hobby being voiced by Mark "Joker" Hamill? Pure awesome-sauce.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
And Hobby being voiced by Mark "Joker" Hamill? Pure awesome-sauce.
Wow I never even realize that!!!!! no wonder he did so well as a goblin!!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm surprised how high Ultimate Spidey was....yikes.
The best thing about Ultimate is its animation far superior compared to its predecessors, but that in the most part, but that is due to the technology available to us now.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
Peanut
Second Gear

Anyone who thinks 90's Spider-Man is better than Spectacular is blinded by nostalgia. This is fact.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Anyone who thinks 90's Spider-Man is better than Spectacular is blinded by nostalgia. This is fact.
Damn I really am going to need to check this series out. I have watched episodes but I have seen a few clips and I prefer the traditional marvel design of the 90's over the spectacular spiderman drawing design. I am not saying it bad, it doesn't even bother me. I just enjoy the 90's design better.

Ign said that spectacular is based on the Ultimate comic run, how true is that?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Sure the designs take some getting used to, but the character and story are awesome. I really ought to get the full series on blu ray...I have the 1st season on DVD...is season 2 even in a set on DVD?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Sure the designs take some getting used to, but the character and story are awesome. I really ought to get the full series on blu ray...I have the 1st season on DVD...is season 2 even in a set on DVD?
wait I thought their was 1 (26) episode season or is it two season of (13) episodes or are there more episodes???
Old 04-30-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The 90s Spidey cartoon is pretty cool and had it's own 'spin' (hur hur) on many classic stories. I remember soiling myself when Green Goblin took MJ to that bridge. It was a crazy mix of the infamous Gwen Stacy story and SLIDERS, but it was riveting television, and had some real far-reaching consequences.

It had it's share of stupidity though. I don't know what it is about 90s superhero shows, but they loved marrying their heroes off to clones back then (Lois in Lois and Clark, MJ in this cartoon), Peter's wedding story in this series was also significantly more action-packed than the real versions were

I also loved how they utlized the villains, bringing them altogether under the constant employ of The Kingpin etc, and Kraven being an on/off ally was refreshing too

Also, Electro: Son of The Red Skull and capable of single-handidly destroying SHIELD. So stupendously implausible it's awesome.

That said, it's pretty dated now, minimal violence and some of the largest ham voice acting you'll ever hear. Spectacular is much better.

MTV Spider-Man and Spider-Man Unlimited are poor, but had awesome theme songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
wait I thought their was 1 (26) episode season or is it two season of (13) episodes or are there more episodes???
There were two seasons of thirteen episodes. There were plans for a five year plan covering all of Peter's high school years and then direct-to-dvd movies based off his adult life, but the whole Sony/Marvel rights issues f*cked it up and led to the cancelation of the show.

There's also a play which crossed the show over at Gargoyles that the casts of both shows performed at conventions. It's not canonical but I like to think it is.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 04-30-2014 at 04:24 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #15
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hey man, season 2 is spread over 4 DVDs. They never released it as an individual season set, but the DVDs are cheap enough to invest in. I did once the last set of 3 was released in 09. So you'll have a 2 disc season 1 set plus s2 on 4 discs. The discs are each devoted to the separate arcs throughout season 2 which is kinda cool, but I suppose they'll probably never get around to releasing a complete DVD set. Okay by me. The episodes are all available on DVD, which is more than I can say for the 94 show.

Yeah Duckie, I loved the Neogenic Nightmare arc too. I was glued to the TV every Saturday morning and used to have the entire 94 animated series on very high quality VHS tapes. They really need to get around to releasing all of these on disc. I'd at least like to see these available again on Netflix.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #16
Shred Head
Hench Mutant

I call shenanigans! No way in hell is Ultimate better then Amazing Friends I don't care how new the animation is its not that good. The rest of the list is pretty spot on Spectacular is the best series to date probably the best marvel cartoon ever created at least if it was aloud more seasons it would have been. I love the 90's show its also great and did some pretty creative things I mean they took one of the lamest villains The Spot gave him a pretty tragic story and made his powers and technology an on going plot point in the show. Got to hand it to them that's pretty creative. Also I love the scene with him meeting Stan Lee in the final episode.

"Cold steel meets hot flesh! Thats why they call me Slash!"
Shred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Yeah I'd have to agree with others here that Spider-Man: The Animated Series is my number one too. It was the version that really got me into Spider-Man so it is very important to me in Spider-Man lore. All the great voice casting and character stories were all spot on to me. I just wish to heck that they would release the entire series on DVD or Blu-Ray!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #18
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The 90s series (hell, every Spider-Man animated series) is out on DVD in european regions.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Agree with their choice. Although i haven't seen most of those.

I'm still really annoyed at them for cancelling Spectacular Spider-man.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The 90s series (hell, every Spider-Man animated series) is out on DVD in european regions.
Jeez, Z, you guys are lucky. I'd heard something about the entire 90's series being available in the UK. I was hoping for a complete set over here this Summer to coincide with Amazing Spider-Man II but no dice. Maybe one of these days...

Tags
spider-man