The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #301
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Even though Disney already released a music video for "Speechless", they have now debuted one that features the lyrics.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #302
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

So many people who thought this movie would bomb or disappoint at the box office are going to or must have eaten humble at some point.

Disney's Aladdin Passes $800 Million at Global Box Office
Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 AM   #303
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

As for my opinion of the movie, it was okay. It was good to add a bit of character background, but some of the characterizations seemed off. Such as Jafar being such a rage-oholic when typically he was more quiet and deceitful. The added songs to Jasmine's character and emphasis on being able to be rule was superfluous (the cartoon displayed a lot of her athletic, ambitious, and defiant personality already). Plus, the grandeur of Agrabah and the whole tale of Aladdin seemed... subdued with a lot of the action/adventure scenes. The contrasting size and elaborateness of the throne room is a good example to represent this for the movie as a whole. ...It makes me wonder if their CGI budget was small.

The most notable examples of the "subdued" tone were:
1) The Cave of Wonders being too small, the treasure in the animated version illuminates the enormous cave, while the live-action version has just a tiny fraction of that wealth within a much smaller "hole in the ground":

2) The "A Whole New World" scene. In the animated movie, they flew to Egypt, Rome/Greece, and even China to give the visuals of experiencing a whole new world outside Agrabah, but in the live-action it seemed they just flew around the neighborhood:

3) The final battle with Jafar. It was just too disappointing, and didn't reach the high intense climax I was hoping for:

Also how is it that this live-action remake receives a PG rating when it avoided the whole topic of corporal punishment for stealing (when Jasmine took the apple), but yet the animated version is rated G for having a sword fight with snake Jafar, and even showed blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
So many people who thought this movie would bomb or disappoint at the box office are going to or must have eaten humble at some point.

To add to the high box office sales, it's fueling speculation as to whether live-action sequels will be made also:

Quote:
Unlike the vast majority of Walt Disney animated theatricals, Aladdin had two straight-to-VHS sequels that were only ridiculously popular in their day but relatively well-liked/fondly remembered by the same demographics that helped make Aladdin a hit. And they both are more traditional adventure stories that lend themselves to live-action compared to the various direct-to-VHS (or DVD) titles like Cinderella III: A Twist in Time or even the popular and quite successful The Lion King II: Simba's Pride. Disney now has the option of producing live-action remakes of The Return of Jafar and The King of Thieves.

The Return of Jafar is about, well, the return of Jafar and how his emergence (with all the powers of a Genie) gives Iago a shot at redemption. With Dan Castellaneta subbing in for Robin Williams (who was famously displeased with how Disney used his vocals to plug Aladdin and sell Aladdin merchandise despite promising not to), it was essentially a pilot for the afternoon animated TV show. The King of Thieves, which brought Robin Williams back after fences were mended, concerned Aladdin discovering that his presumed dead father was still alive and still stealing stuff.

If you're seen either Aladdin sequel, you'll know that Return of Jafar (released to home video in 1994 as the first of many direct-to-video Disney toon sequels) has plenty of room for improvement while The King of Thieves (which sold $96 million-worth of VHS copies in its first week back in 1996) is a pretty solid adventure story. Both can easily exist within the current live-action continuity without breaking the budgetary bank. Whether you do both or skip to "the good one," Disney has an opportunity with Aladdin that that is unique among these live-action adaptations.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#32ff41414408

I don't know how Disney could remake Return of Jafar since Iago is a very important character to the sequel, and in this live-action remake they made him having animal-level intelligence rather than human-level intelligence in the animated version.

With Robin Williams not voicing the Genie, Gilbert Gottfried really carried the humor in the VHS movie:

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 06-27-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 AM   #304
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post

I don't really put a lot of stock in box office success as a measure of quality, Marvel movies make gangbuster numbers and I still think most of them are terrible. Good to great movies are under-performing this summer too, like Godzilla and Toy Story 4.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #305
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A lot of Power Rangers fans were disappointed that film flopped at the box office and were worried about the future of its leads who were very talented. I'm glad that Naomi Scott has become a big star thanks to this movie. She's got some great acting and singing chops. Despite Power Rangers disappointing at the box-office I believe that the movie did help Disney recognize her talents again, after she did Lemonade Mouth for them, during the casting process. I also believe that Mena Massoud has a bright future ahead of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't really put a lot of stock in box office success as a measure of quality, Marvel movies make gangbuster numbers and I still think most of them are terrible. Good to great movies are under-performing this summer too, like Godzilla and Toy Story 4.
The only thing I really liked about Godzilla: King of the Monsters was Kyle Chandler's performance and when Ken Watanabe's character said that it's important to be at peace and forgive our enemies for what they've done to us. Overall, I found it to be a disappointing sequel. I don't plan on seeing it again in theaters and will probably just rent it on demand or something like that before going to Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Toy Story 4's opening weekend of $120.9 million is very respectable, especially considering how many fans felt a fourth movie didn't need to happen after how perfectly things wrapped up in Toy Story 3. Yesterday, the film made $20 million, which is pretty good for a Tuesday, and its total at the North American box office is now over $150 million. I believe that it is going to have plenty of legs with family audiences like Aladdin has.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 PM   #306
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Over the past weekend, the film crossed the $300 million mark in North America, which once again proves that the casting controversies and negative feedback to the marketing weren't going to prevent this movie from being a success.

Aladdin To Become Third Disney Movie To Cross $300 Million At Box Office This Year

Also, its worldwide total has just surpassed the box-office numbers for Independence Day to become to Will Smith's highest-grossing film ever. He sent out a message to fans thanking them for their support.

Aladdin Just Became The Highest-Grossing Movie Of Will Smith's Career: Watch His Reaction
Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #307
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Has the world gone mad?
Old 07-03-2019, 06:18 AM   #308
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Has the world gone mad?
It is a great film. While keeping the plot of the animated classic it updated it to 2019 and added run time. I was hoping to get an explanation about why the cave exist and why it looks like a tiger's head, but I digress. It being my favorite Disney film impressed me and it seems to have succeeded overall. I expect Lion King and Little Mermaid to do better, but kitting 350 million domestic and maybe 900 million overall is great.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #309
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Aladdin is reaching another major box-office milestone this weekend. The film will be crossing the $900 million mark at the worldwide box-office.

‘Aladdin’ Crossing $900 Million Mark in Worldwide Box Office for Disney
Old 07-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #310
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A sequel based on The Return of Jafar might be in the works. I wonder how they would do this since:

Spoiler:
The Genie is now a human with no magical powers. Also, the lamp that Jafar and Iago are trapped inside is in the Cave of Wonders. Since Abis Mal found Jafar's lamp in a well in the original I can't see him entering the Cave of Wonders since Aladdin is the "only one who may enter".

Disney could make a live-action “Aladdin 2” that follows “The Return of Jafar”
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #311
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Seeing that Maleficent 2 gets a sequel, it’s not surprising if Aladdin gets it as well.

Weird thing is, in the animated movies Genie still has his magic after being released. :/
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #312
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Yesterday, I went back to see the film for one final time in theaters. The Lion King is clearly going to be taking up a lot of screens this weekend and I also wanted to see if my concerns about a potential sequel are valid. I was still having a good time and it's always nice to see something that takes me back to the days of my childhood. If they do decide to make a sequel based on The Return of Jafar I'd still be curious to see how they would do it especially with how everything ended. Although Jafar did in fact say "I will not forget you boy. Mark my words I will not forget what you've done to me."

In other news, the film just surpassed Alice in Wonderland here in North America.

Quote:
Disney Live Action Reimaginings

3. Aladdin (2019) $334,233,830
4 Alice in Wonderland (2010) $334,191,110
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...liveaction.htm

The film along with Will Smith and Naomi Scott got some love when the nominations for the Saturn Awards, but Mena Massoud didn't.

Quote:
*Best Fantasy Film Release

Aladdin

* Best Supporting Actor in a Film

Will Smith, Aladdin

* Best Supporting Actress in a Film

Naomi Scott, Aladdin

* Best Film Director

Guy Ritchie, Aladdin

* Best Film Production Design

Gemma Jackson, Aladdin

* Best Film Music

Alan Menken, Aladdin

* Best Film Costume

* Best Film Special/Visual Effects

* Aladdin
‘Avengers: Endgame’, ‘Game of Thrones’ Lead the 2019 Saturn Awards Nominations

Last edited by ranger_scout; 05-18-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: 'Beauty and the beast' had a higher total than 'Alice'.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #313
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Aladdin has grossed $989 million worldwide so far. Almost there to $1 billion

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...ytale22019.htm
Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 AM   #314
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Aladdin has grossed $989 million worldwide so far. Almost there to $1 billion

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...ytale22019.htm
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #315
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Which just shows those awards are a f*cking joke
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #316
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Glad to see its getting recognition, but I feel like in the end Lion King will overshadow it. Aladdin did pioneer the direct to video sequels so it would be cool to see more,but if this is it I am happy enough.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #317
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I know I said that I was going to be taking a break from discussing these remakes, but since this is such a milestone I had to post the news. The film is crossing the $1 billion mark today. What an accomplishment after everything it had went through from pre-production to early marketing.

‘Aladdin’ Rides Magic Carpet Past $1B At Worldwide Box Office

The movie is also going to be released on Digital HD August 27, and on DVD/Blu-ray/4K on September 10. The original film is also be re-released to home media on those dates as part of the 'Walt Disney Signature Collection' line.The special features for the home media release of the live-action version have also been announced including the deleted duet between Aladdin and Jasmine.

Quote:
Here’s a rundown of the special features you can look forward to.

Digital Presell Bonus:

Make Way for Ali – Take a look at the gigantic design extravaganza that came together for this scene of Genie-sized proportions.

Digital Executive Bonus:

“Speechless”: Creating a Song for Jasmin – Follow the story of Jasmine’s inspirational song “Speechless,” written by Alan Menken, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul especially for this version of “Aladdin.”

Blu-Ray and Digital Bonus:

Aladdin’s Video Journal: A New Fantastic Point of View – Watch behind-the-scenes moments captured by Mena Massoud (Aladdin) in this fun, fast-paced look at his personal journey.

Deleted Song: “Desert Moon” – Experience a moving duet performed by Jasmine and Aladdin, fully shot and edited, with an introduction by Alan Menken.

Guy Ritchie: Cinematic Genie – Discover why director Guy Ritchie was the perfect filmmaker to tackle this exhilarating reimagining of a beloved classic.

A Friend Like Genie – Discover how Will Smith brings talent, experience and his own personal magic to the iconic role of Genie.

Deleted Scenes:

Falling Petals Into OJ
Jafar’s Magic Orrery
Anders’ Gift
Wrong Wishes
Silly Old Fool
Post Yam Jam Debrief

Bloopers:

Laugh along with the cast and crew in this lighthearted collection of outtakes from the set.

Music Videos:

“Speechless” – Music video performed by Naomi Scott
“A Whole New World” – Music video performed by ZAYN and Zhavia Ward
“A Whole New World” (“Un Mundo Ideal”) – Music video performed by ZAYN and Becky G.
Aladdin Blu-ray Release Set for September
Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #318
neatoman
Emperor

So I guess this encourages more of these remakes? Is there any you'd actually like to see?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #319
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Aladdin Officially Passes $1 Billion At Worldwide Box Office

https://screenrant.com/aladdin-2019-...ide-1-billion/

Well done! lol just realised it was posted already.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #320
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The one thing I always wanted to see was why the Cave of Wonders was shaped like a tiger's head also to explore what made Aladdin the diamond in the rough? My guess was his pure of heart, but it never got explored either.

Tags
#notmyaladdin, 3 sjw wishes, a whole new cuck, ain'tneverhadacucklikeme, cuck smith