The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 04:22 AM   #61
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I would say that the 80s turtles are definetly old in the sense that they sound like and interact with each other like adults, rather than teenagers.

I think what people here are saying is that they want the turtles to act more like adults who are also not comedians, and go through more development than in the 80s cartoon.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #62
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Why not? In Red Sky, they were growing up and taking things more seriously.
Only to a small degree. To whoever came up with Red Sky, their idea of making the Turtles growing up mentally and taking things more seriously basically meant "stop eating pizza and wait for Shredder to make his move first". Raphael still cracked his usual jokes and Michelangelo still smiled a lot and was a bit chill. It's just that the focus went to constant action and we no longer saw the Turtles in their downtime much anymore like we did in the regular seasons.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #63
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Only to a small degree. To whoever came up with Red Sky, their idea of making the Turtles growing up mentally and taking things more seriously basically meant "stop eating pizza and wait for Shredder to make his move first". Raphael still cracked his usual jokes and Michelangelo still smiled a lot and was a bit chill. It's just that the focus went to constant action and we no longer saw the Turtles in their downtime much anymore like we did in the regular seasons.
Yeah, I noticed that. There wasn't much time for downtime. They tried to cram as much 'action' and sub plots in the same episode that some of them almost felt like 2 parters.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #64
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. There wasn't much time for downtime. They tried to cram as much 'action' and sub plots in the same episode that some of them almost felt like 2 parters.
I feel like you and I have this same conversation every few months. Same for that Yoku guy that somehow knew the Turtles episode
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #65
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Why not? In Red Sky, they were growing up and taking things more seriously.
I agree that Red Sky is a bit of an exception, even if not to the same extent of the prior comics or 2003, though sadly that period of it is obviously ignored when other producers and whatnot try to look back at that series for inspiration. And if they did, they'd have no business ignoring 2003 as well. (With the DC animation people clearly an awesome exception.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I would say that the 80s turtles are definetly old in the sense that they sound like and interact with each other like adults, rather than teenagers.

I think what people here are saying is that they want the turtles to act more like adults who are also not comedians, and go through more development than in the 80s cartoon.
Yeah, exactly. And it's not like they need to completely cut out the humor, by all means keep it in the right moments, esp when they're "off the clock" and just being normal siblings... just PD and whatnot need to not try so had to force it in there. Lighter humor that's less kid-like and that just seems more natural would be kind of refreshing. Do these producers, writers, ect not have siblings and family and no idea how they interact? lol

e.g. Forget the Looney Tunes-ish stuff with Raph in OotS and instead just, I dunno, let him poke fun at Leo for a chuckle instead, both for himself and the audience. (Sorry, Leo, I love you... lol ...but it's funny and you can poke back at him too.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #66
bwwd
Hench Mutant

topic title should be "lets start some flamewar"
This forum is active for a long time and its strange how you guys still take the bait
Old 06-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #67
Powder
So tired of this place

There's no bait. Prowler's a good dude who never causes trouble, & there's not even any drama in this thread.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #68
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The calmest flamewar I've ever seen, the people here have great skill.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #69
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I feel like you and I have this same conversation every few months. Same for that Yoku guy that somehow knew the Turtles episode
Mostly cause whenever Red Sky is brought up they treat it as if it were Batman levels of serious when it really wasn't.

I mean looking back they probably just didn't have the budget to animate proper fight scenes so they filled the episode with plot after plot. If Red Sky wanted to up the ante, that woulda been the time to have the turtles finally bust out some sweet ninja moves.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #70
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Unpopular opinion: the FW series is 100% garbage and anyone who takes it seriously is part of the problem. The entire reason the TMNT property is in such a sh*tty spot right now is because of that f*cking cartoon.
Erm it's alright man, it's alright.

Quote:
Unpopular Opinion: I think any fan who badmouths the FW 'toon on a forum that started out as a love letter to it are nowhere near as big clever or radical as they like to think they are. They think they're saying something new, relevant to today's issues with the franchise, but they're not, and don't have a realistic view of how much of a legacy it has in pop culture

That cartoon is this franchise's only truly enduring legacy. Elements from it have long since informed the franchise's cultural identity, it's hardwired into every reboot's DNA. Remove it and all you have is some pseudo-intellectual Daredevil rip-off for edgelords.

Frankly, whenever some envious fan cheerleads Ice Cream Kitty or something equally ludicrous from the (IMO) 200% SH*TE Nick cartoon, I often question just when it's convenient for those pots to label their kettles black.
I'm proud of you man, took a lot of guts to say something I couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
I'll cite IDW's use of the Fred Wolf Trio as an example. Just because it came from a version intended for children, it doesn't mean that when it shows up again they're just pandering to nostalgia. They just thought of a new way to use the charaters or concepts that serviced their story. I've always thought that the ability to pull from the toybox and make new toys out of it was one of the TMNT franchise's greatest strengths.
But IDW didn't improve upon anything the FW series did so my argument is why not create something completely different with TMNT? It shows a lack of confidence in the property when a large part of the comic tries to recreate the FW series for teens and adults. This is why the IDW comic from what I've seen for me falls flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Complacency is the most valid criticism you can give the FW series.

Quote:
To be fair to the Red Sky era it was probably the closest in tone and style to Season 1. If the series had carried on throughout its middle seasons in the Season 1 style we would have got to the Red Sky era without any complaints from long term viewers. That disconnect between seasons is what created problems.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #71
ABrown
Banned

Fans acting like Ciro Nieli is the Bruce Timm of the TMNT franchise.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #72
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I wouldn't go that far but you get the sense that he has real love for all aspects of the franchise's history. Also his show put more emphasis on the turtles being ninjas than any other animated adaptation. I respect him for those two things alone.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #73
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Who the hell does that?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #74
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Who the hell does that?
a few people on here act like they'd want to have his kids :/....

for the most part, tmnt fandom is pretty ok. there are a few whack jobs out there, but, that's par for the course for any fandom.

some of the first people i ever met online where from tmnt fandom... and in person no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
I wouldn't go that far but you get the sense that he has real love for all aspects of the franchise's history. Also his show put more emphasis on the turtles being ninjas than any other animated adaptation. I respect him for those two things alone.
I feel like he only cares about Mirage centered stuff. anything else seems forced on him.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #75
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I admit that I don't recall much praise for him around here, just the brief stint on the site where he could not take heat from overly critical adults.

While the 1987 cartoon is the franchise's cornerstone to me I can understand people being put off by David Wise taking way too much credit for Turtlemania.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #76
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
While the 1987 cartoon is the franchise's cornerstone to me I can understand people being put off by David Wise taking way too much credit for Turtlemania.
He does seem to have a bit of an ego. although to be fair, his stuff is mostly what people remember about the hey dey of tmnt.

and it's what most of the franchise has been based off of since.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #77
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I admit that I don't recall much praise for him around here
This, from what I've personally seen.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #78
Ninjinister
無問題

The fact that almost 100% of the people that I've seen complaining about Jennika don't even read the comics at all. And it's not even that she's female... they just don't want a fifth turtle, period.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #79
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
The fact that almost 100% of the people that I've seen complaining about Jennika don't even read the comics at all. And it's not even that she's female... they just don't want a fifth turtle, period.
Wait...what!?!? When did this happen?!

EDIT: Just read an article about it. I've never read the IDW comics, but it sounds like it came out of nowhere. And she's Casey Jones' love interest too?
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #80
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Wait...what!?!? When did this happen?!

EDIT: Just read an article about it. I've never read the IDW comics, but it sounds like it came out of nowhere. And she's Casey Jones' love interest too?
Jennika's been in the comic for a while, so it's all stuff that happened in time. I do believe April and Casey parted ways cause they really had nothing in common other than 'they know the turtles'. I mean they may get together eventually but this is a break.

I like this idea since Jen is pre-established character so her personality will carry over. She's not some long lost sister or some garbage.