The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #901
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
What about finnpoe? Oh right, Disney are cowards.

They built it up in Force Awakens and suddenly they’re indifferent to each other in Last Jedi. Love that inconsistency.
So the way that you interpret what you saw on screen is that Poe and Finn's fast friendship was actually indicative of a romantic relationship? I didn't get that out of it at all.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #902
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
So the way that you interpret what you saw on screen is that Poe and Finn's fast friendship was actually indicative of a romantic relationship? I didn't get that out of it at all.
People who are on a mission to read certain characters as "queer" will do so at any opportunity regardless of how strong the supposed "implied subtext" either is or isn't. "I want the character to be gay, therefore they are" is the general rule.

There was an article on Vox the other day - a long one - which was entirely about how Elsa from "Frozen" is definitely a lesbian, for the overwhelming reasons of, "The writer of the article really wants it to be true", and more importantly, "Well, where do they say that she's NOT?" Truly a mesmerizing exercise in a person seeing what they want to see and discarding any information that doesn't fit their own preferred narrative.

I mean, I get it, you hope for something, so "DISPROVE IT!" is what you lean on. But you also really get the feeling that even if these same characters were given heterosexual relationship partners, Those Fans would still kick and scream and go "Nuh uh! Totes gay!" just because it's what they want. And that's annoying.

If they are, they are, and that's fine, but until it's made "official" I swear people just project way too much into these things.

"Here's a jacket." "DUDE! I'm totally into you, let's bone!" I'unno. I don't buy it. I think there's several key steps missing from the story before anyone could project "They're in loooooove!" into it. That's just some people seeing what they want to see.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #903
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I definitely think Abrams threw that in TFA as something that Johnson could "pay off" as a romantic relationship in 8, or Trevorrow could in 9. But now that he has to be the guy to actually do it himself? He won't. And never would have. It was just a "well future filmmakers could do something" defense in case LGTBQ interviewers threw him weird questions during TFA.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #904
snake
Disgusting

Imagine the kind of person you have to be to feel any sort of attachment to "characters" like Rey, Finn, or Poe.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 AM   #905
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm attached to Rey in the sense that I would like to have a sex with her.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #906
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finn is cool. He just needs better screentime in the movies and hopefully he’ll get it this time. Poe as a support character is fine for what he is, I view him the same way I did Lando or Wedge in the old trilogy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #907
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the 1st Clip.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #908
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Here's the 1st Clip.

Absolutely nothing new to see there.

Me: "Please, give me something new to care about!"

Disney: "Remember the skiff fight in Return of the Jedi?? What about the podracing in Phantom Menace?!"

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 11-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #909
Xav
Foot Elite

Why are they acting like Rocket Troopers are new? They've been canon for awhile now. Poe even met them in his own comic book.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKPNlGQUcAQVGrW.jpg

Last edited by Xav; 11-26-2019 at 03:17 AM.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #910
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Why are they acting like Rocket Troopers are new? They've been canon for awhile now. Poe even met them in his own comic book.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKPNlGQUcAQVGrW.jpg
Nobody reads those.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #911
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Haha Haha comedy rule of 3s with the "They fly now..." bit....priceless

Kill me.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:13 AM   #912
snake
Disgusting

30 seconds of distilled soullessness. Truly, they do fly now.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #913
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nobody reads those.
Well I would expect Lucasfilm to, seeing how they made a big deal about having a story group and how everything would be connected.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #914
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Apparently the final cut of the movie is shorter than The Last Jedi

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...firms-runtime/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #915
AquaParade
Banned

I’m doing a casual re-watch of the series, leading up to this film. I started Episode 1 last night, for the first time in 20 (?) years, and I’m going to continue on up through the rest of the uh, Skywalker Saga films, while also including Rogue One and The Mandalorian (which is quickly becoming my favorite Star Wars story) at the appropriate points.

That’s my plan for now, unless anyone has suggestions for viewing orders or movies to skip or include.

So yeah, last night, Episode 1 was one of the best times I’ve had watching what I’d call a bad movie that I can remember. The acting is often stiff, the story dull, and it’s overall quite bizarre. It feels like a film heavily designed around set-pieces. You can say that for many blockbusters but it doesn’t at all sell the illusion here, and the cgi of course, is laughably dated.

That said, it was highly entertaining to put myself in the mindset of a viewer seeing this upon the release after all the hype. Imagining the mental gymnastics that die-hard fans must have put themselves through to justify this thing.
Obviously, a lot of hard work and talent went into this film, but what an incredible disaster it is.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:56 AM   #916
ZariusTwo
Overlord

In a way, I think Phantom Menace is probably the most 'iconic' of the prequels, the other two are kind of just movies, although I think in time Revenge of the Sith has become a choice highlight for fans based on it's memes.

Phantom Menace on the other hand has a-list talent like Liam Neeson and a top-of-his-game Ewan McGregor as a pre-high ground memelord Obi-Wan. Anakin isn't half as whiny as he is in episodes II and III, even as a kid. There's a lot of imagination put into the locations, and the set-pieces are all excellently directed.

It's not a great film, but it's the one that feels the most like a blockbuster
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #917
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
In a way, I think Phantom Menace is probably the most 'iconic' of the prequels, the other two are kind of just movies, although I think in time Revenge of the Sith has become a choice highlight for fans based on it's memes.

Phantom Menace on the other hand has a-list talent like Liam Neeson and a top-of-his-game Ewan McGregor as a pre-high ground memelord Obi-Wan. Anakin isn't half as whiny as he is in episodes II and III, even as a kid. There's a lot of imagination put into the locations, and the set-pieces are all excellently directed.

Phantom Menace is also the most "satisfying" one in the trilogy. Also the only one shot on film... the other two were shot digitally and only at 720p!
Old 11-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #918
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Apparently the final cut of the movie is shorter than The Last Jedi

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...firms-runtime/
The Last Jedi is 152 minutes, this will be 141 and it was originally 155. The traditional runtime for a movie is 90 minutes.

A lot could have happened in the 14 cut minutes but it's not like Rise of Skywalker will be a short movie, or even that much shorter than Last Jedi.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #919
AquaParade
Banned

I never care about runtime. It's all about execution.

Until I find myself two hours deep into a movie that is blowing my mind and mentally adding up the minutes that have gone by, in hopes of being satiated with at least another hour of the greatness being projected upon the wall in front of me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #920
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Phantom Menace is also the most "satisfying" one in the trilogy. Also the only one shot on film... the other two were shot digitally and only at 720p!
I concur. Always liked the film and ate up a ton of the merchandise tie-ins.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote