The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #1361
Galactus
Foot Elite

Spidey was an objectivist for a while.

Spiderrand.jpg
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #1362
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Spidey was an objectivist for a while.

Attachment 12853
Lmao. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm pretty sure this is in reference to the early Ditko comics.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #1363
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't pay much attention, is "Wallowing in Sorrow And Self-Pity" Spider-Man a general meme, at this point? Because sometimes I feel like he spends 85% of his time doing that and the rest of it catching bad guys.

Maybe ol' "Quivering Lip" McGuire had it right in his performance, after all. I think one of the reasons I stopped following the books was because Spidey became such a mope it wasn't fun anymore.

But yeah, I feel like "Head in his hands, crying" should be his Official Super-Hero Pose, by now. Everybody's Got One!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #1364
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Lmao. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm pretty sure this is in reference to the early Ditko comics.
It's a reference to an often cited story that when Ditko was plotting and drawing Amazing Spider-Man he had him swinging by some protesters shaking his fists envisioning him saying they should go get jobs. Then when Stan Lee did the dialogue he had him say something "hey kids I'm with you".

The story is considered to be untrue. In fact according to everyone who worked at Marvel Ditko was largely apolitical and had little interest in politics for most of the time he worked there. He was a fan of Ayn Rand's novels (as was Stan Lee who allegedly introduced him to it) but he didn't pick up the political and philosophical meanings behind her work until later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't pay much attention, is "Wallowing in Sorrow And Self-Pity" Spider-Man a general meme, at this point? Because sometimes I feel like he spends 85% of his time doing that and the rest of it catching bad guys.
If he didn't feel guilty about everything he wouldn't be Spider-Man.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #1365
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Maybe ol' "Quivering Lip" McGuire had it right in his performance, after all. I think one of the reasons I stopped following the books was because Spidey became such a mope it wasn't fun anymore.

But yeah, I feel like "Head in his hands, crying" should be his Official Super-Hero Pose, by now. Everybody's Got One!
Dude's got a smoking hot redhead girlfriend/wife, and his ancient aunt still clinging to life, and he's got a job. And an apartment in NYC.

Suck it up, Parker.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #1366
AquaParade
Banned

That's the thing with Spider-Man...

The first story sort of tells it all.

Spider-Man: No More has some merit of it's own, but what is special about the Spider-Man story is the journey from selfish to selfless. Once there, you can have all sorts of fun with Spider-Man, but I feel like the best story has been told.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #1367
Galactus
Foot Elite

You could say the same thing about any comic book property. That their origin is usually all you really need to know.

While I hold some sympathy with fans who say movies should skip the origin I feel it's important to know where characters come and what motivates them. I actually like both MCU Spider-Man movies but there is something missing and I tend to think it's the knowing what drives Peter to be Spider-Man. There has been some slight allusions that maybe the Uncle Ben thing happened but we don't know. So far all we know he's just a really good kid who likes to impress people.

The only comic book characters I would say should skip he origins are Superman and Batman who literally everyone knows what drives them. Even then if you've got a unique spin on it like Man of Steel I don't begrudge them giving it a whirl.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #1368
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
You could say the same thing about any comic book property. That their origin is usually all you really need to know.

While I hold some sympathy with fans who say movies should skip the origin I feel it's important to know where characters come and what motivates them. I actually like both MCU Spider-Man movies but there is something missing and I tend to think it's the knowing what drives Peter to be Spider-Man. There has been some slight allusions that maybe the Uncle Ben thing happened but we don't know. So far all we know he's just a really good kid who likes to impress people.

The only comic book characters I would say should skip he origins are Superman and Batman who literally everyone knows what drives them. Even then if you've got a unique spin on it like Man of Steel I don't begrudge them giving it a whirl.
The same could be said for many characters, yes.

I hear you on the MCU Spider-Man. We needed to skip the origin dedicated movie, but I still feel like Ben should have had more of a presence by now.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #1369
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I hear you on the MCU Spider-Man. We needed to skip the origin dedicated movie, but I still feel like Ben should have had more of a presence by now.
Ben who?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #1370
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Ben who?
Sorry, I meant Mr. Parker. I am just dying to know if he got off the airplane and explore the further adventures of the secret agent Parker family.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #1371
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Sorry, I meant Mr. Parker. I am just dying to know if he got off the airplane and explore the further adventures of the secret agent Parker family.
Oh yeah, the secret agent genetic scientist momma and poppa!

And Aunt May was always a single woman for all the MCU cares...
Old 08-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #1372
Galactus
Foot Elite

To be honest given that Marvel owns the TV rights to Spider-Man I'm surprised we haven't got Richard & Mary Parker: Agents of SHIELD on Disney+ yet.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #1373
Leo656
The Franchise

https://screenrant.com/justice-leagu...ns-accusation/

I can absolutely believe this, given the general sense of "priority" among Johns and others who were working on the latter half of that movie, specifically doing their best to turn JL away from being a "movie" and into a cartoon.

"Say 'booyah' or we'll bury you! Know your role, 'boy'!" sounds exactly like them. Sounds exactly like how they'd handle that situation.

I admire Ray Fisher for sticking up for himself, especially given the unfortunate fact that, now that he's going to be labelled "difficult" for bringing these things to light in the first place, it means he really WON'T have a career anymore, anyway. And that's a shame.

Still, though. I admire and respect anyone who puts principles and integrity above all else. Good for him.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #1374
AquaParade
Banned

I'm a bit skeptical due to the fact that none of the other cast members have come out in support of Ray. They do have more to lose, but there are at least five of them to consider.

Either way, I'm thinking the truth will come to light. All due respect to Ray Fisher, but I'm not sure yet. Could be a case of both sides acting obnoxious for all we know.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #1375
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
They do have more to lose
That's the beginning and the end of it.

No different from Cavill keeping quiet about Snyder's JL even existing, or how rough the Whedon reshoots were, while everyone else in the cast was being very open and vocal about all of it. His agent told him to zip it and not rock the boat. Thus, he kept silent while everyone else was basically screaming, "Yeah, reshoots sucked, Zack's cut exists, and it's better." Even after Mamoa publicly and repeatedly claimed to have seen the rough cut of Zack's, when asked about it Cavill said "I don't know if it even exists." Despite a ton of other people who would know all saying the opposite. But he was in a more precarious position than they were in that moment, because WB was actively trying to distance themselves from him as Superman and that's not what he wanted, so he played the game.

I love the guy, but he was clearly being told to stick to the script and not make any waves. I don't hold it against him, I'm just saying.

This is the same exact thing in reverse. Gal has another big DC movie coming out in a few weeks, what would she have to gain by latching her name onto this? As far as she's concerned, I've heard VERY sketchy things about her as a human being anyway, so putting herself first isn't something anyone should be shocked by. Ezra's got enough to worry about with him choking a woman in public, he's not gonna say a word. Mamoa's still hoping to hear something about Aquaman 2 soon, the last thing he wants is to annoy the higher-ups and WB because otherwise he doesn't have a ton going on. Affleck wants to move on from the entire affair, not drag up old wounds.

Why lie? If you're Ray Fisher, whether the accusations are true or not, your career is over, now. Nobody will ever book this guy again, no matter how it ends up being resolved, because he's "difficult". The "Cyborg" movie he was promised wasn't going to happen after JL tanked and it's certainly not going to happen now.

He has absolutely nothing to gain outside of some feeling of vindication. Why lie, and furthermore, if it's true, which it most likely is, why keep silent? There's no motive for falsehood. Zero.

It's not like he's asking for money or reparations. He's simply saying, "This is what happened, and this is why I felt disrespected, and I feel like people deserve to know." There's nothing else to be gained.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #1376
AquaParade
Banned

I don't disagree with any of that, but the other cast members did come out in support of Zack, despite having close ties with WB.

Again, good points. I'm just not sure I'm ready to condemn anyone without two sides of the story. It takes a lot to sell me on one side of a story, no matter how good it is. I've heard a lot of them.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #1377
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that's fair. For me, it's like the women who accused Danny Masterson and never once asked for money, or wanted their names publicized, they only want him put in jail on account of what he "allegedly" did. If there's no financial motive, why bang a drum so hard when it's easier to just walk away? As far as "his side of the story" in that instance, what would he ever say? I don't technically "need" to hear what he'd say, because I can guess. "Never happened, I'm a nice guy." Likewise, I know what Johns would say.

I generally try and play Devil's Advocate more often than not, I just know that whenever my gut tells me something, whether it's weeks, months or years later, it usually ends up being the case. Not always, but most times.
Don't know why, just know I've come to trust that instinct. In this case, "Johns got a promotion a few years ago and it went right to his head" isn't exactly a secret. Ray Fisher wasn't the first one to accuse him of being drunk with power and suddenly dropping the "nice guy" act once he got a bigger office. That's kinda why I feel like there's smoke to the fire.

By all accounts, Geoff Johns "big-timed" a lot of people he worked with once he got that bigger office. Thus, even if it's conjecture, I have to nod my head and say "Yeah... that fits."

It really matters very little in the big picture, either way. Johns no longer has the same clout, and Ray Fisher's career is effectively over. Selfishly, I just like seeing people stand up for themselves, that's all. Plus, I though Ray made a damn good Cyborg and I would've loved to see that solo movie.

Really, really looking forward to all the stuff of his that was cut from JL being restored in Zack's version. That was some of the stuff I was most looking forward to, and some of the most disappointing to see cut. Cyborg was one of the best "new creations" DC ever came up with, especially in the 80s, and I've always had a soft spot for him. I didn't care much for his cartoon portrayals but I always liked him as a character. He was also a minority character who came out in an age when a lot of them were still kinda playing on stereotypes but he never was presented that way, nor did he feel force-fed to the audience but rather "got over" just by being a strong and well-written character. I feel like the character has always had a lot to offer. Based on what I've seen and read about what was cut, I have strong faith that he'll shine in Zack's version of JL.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #1378
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
The Snyder Cut of Justice League
2:45PM (Encores at 10:45pm, 6:45AM, 8:15AM)
Hall of Heroes
Zack Snyder fields questions from fans and a few surprise guests as he discusses his eagerly awaited upcoming cut of the 2017 feature film and the movement that made it happen. (25 min)

https://deadline.com/2020/08/dc-fand...er-1203013160/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #1380
AquaParade
Banned

Ray Fisher stirring stuff up again. Apparently an investigation is under way at WB. $10 says they find nothing, as I'm rather skeptical of his claims at this point.

Looks like he has a history of pointing fingers, tbqh. We'll see. Sued a theater for firing him in the past...? -

https://mobile.twitter.com/VManhound/status/1296524171787350016