The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Alex Trebek Jeopardy Host passes at 80

Alex Trebek, the longtime host of popular game show Jeopardy!, has died at age 80. News of Trebek’s passing comes just one year and eight months after he announced he had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

On Sunday morning, the official Twitter account for Jeopardy! shared the news of Trebek’s passing, writing, “Jeopardy! is saddened to share that Alex Trebek passed away peacefully at home early this morning, surrounded by family and friends. Thank you, Alex.”

More to come…

https://collider.com/alex-trebek-dea...source=twitter
Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Well, well. RIP Al! Gotta say, he was prob. the best and least cringe worthy gameshow host we ever had. Far better than Sajak (and dear god a million times better than Barker).

Thanks for the entertainment over the years there, AL! You were a TV legend!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sad, though at least the guy made it to a normal age of 80 despite that nasty type of cancer. Just a shame he had to go out dealing with that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

One of the last of his kind. When game shows were institutions.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sad, though at least the guy made it to a normal age of 80 despite that nasty type of cancer. Just a shame he had to go out dealing with that.
Most of us who get to that age will go out that way, unfortunately.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I got the news off of TMZ just before the daily workout. Its stage 4 cancer so its a how long type of thing instead of when recovered. However, while some hair loss was apparent it was not noticeable that he was nearing death. I watch Jeopardy about three episodes a week and have for most of my life. It was so great to get the GOAT tournament to kick off this crazy year. No matter if a GOAT contestant takes the reins or a notable diverse hire Trebeck's clam and intellectual demeanor will never be duplicated.

Trebeck gave an update last July and seemed like he had not even considered taping the 30 second goodbye message he mentioned. I guess I wonder if he took a sudden turn for the worse and never got to tape a goodbye and enjoy his last days with his family.

Often its thought to be creepy and unorthodox with a spouse 24 years younger, but he and Jean pulled it and off and had two great kids kept out of the limelight. He said recently the biggest regret was not being able to have a longer marriage which was due in part to the their age difference. Alex is a loving family man who loved his job to the end, going into work on October 30th. Also, it does not go unnoticed that his fictional rival Sean Connery passed just over a week before him, it remains my favorite SNL sketch of all-time. To honor him I will put the Funko Pop! on my work desk first thing tomorrow.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/08/alex-...reatic-cancer/

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-champion-...learn-english/
Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
One of the last of his kind. When game shows were institutions.
Hm, yeah well said!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Alex Trebek: thank you for making a humongous difference in my life. You were one of my favorite game show hosts of all time. I always enjoyed your entertainment and joy you brought to this world. I'm so glad I got the honor to watch you in person last year. You lived a full and wonderful life, got to see so much of the world with your clue crew, and helped pass on so much knowledge to the world through your show. You fought through tough times, kept going, and you got to be with your family at the end. You will always be a treasured icon in this world, and I will look forward to seeing you in heaven.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

That's a bummer. He sure hung in there.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, 2020 can seriously go to hell.

Goddamn you, 2020! Die in a fire, 2020! Just go straight down to hell you horrid year from the depths of hell! Kill yourself, twooooooo-thousaaaaand and tweeeeeeeenty!

But seriously, this is sad. But not unexpected.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

He was an inspiration for millions of people around the world.

I hope he will be able to rest well. He will be dearly missed.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Very sad. I never really watched Jeopardy but I watch the old reruns of Classic Concentration and Double Dare. He had a cool personality.

It’s weird that Jeopardy doesn’t get reruns on gameshow channels. Not that I’ve seen.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I wonder what he thought of the "Let's explain the puzzle to the cretins at home..." aspect of Concentration.

You will be missed Trebek.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Very sad. I never really watched Jeopardy but I watch the old reruns of Classic Concentration and Double Dare. He had a cool personality.

It’s weird that Jeopardy doesn’t get reruns on gameshow channels. Not that I’ve seen.
I think it used to on the Game Show Network.

I started watching Jeopardy! in 2011 and I always feel smart when I watch even if I usually don't know the answers (or should I say questions?). Kevin Smith even echoes my sentiments in this tweet.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/s...18596655603713

It won't be the same without him. May he rest in peace.

The final episode hosted by Alex Trebek was taped on October 29th, and will air on Christmas.

https://people.com/tv/alex-trebek-fi...christmas-day/
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I guess I don’t remember. I love gameshows but I never got into Jeopardy because I thought most of the questions/answers seemed pretty hard too.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

This made me very sad last Sunday when being alerted of this. I will miss watching Jeopardy with him as the host. Been watching for so many years. He was charismatic and intelligent. I used to watch as a kid sometimes, but more so as an adult.

You know, watching the older episodes (like 1984 to maybe the later 80s), the questions were really easy.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:16 PM   #17
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
You know, watching the older episodes (like 1984 to maybe the later 80s), the questions were really easy.
Well really depends on the topics, some topics in any era of the show were easy like ones involving filling in blanks, things starting or ending with certain letters, or just any topics that you or any given person happen to be well-versed in. Probably many found ones involving memorizing names, dates, events, and pinpointing connections between any of which to be hard.

Alex will always be the face for Jeopardy, and that theme song will always remind people of him. His was a life well-lived. I'm sure we will always have a place, television or online, we can find the reruns of his episodes. I'm guessing Johnny Gilbert will continue being the voice until he passes or retires. It'll sound strange hearing him say another's name at the intro, but he will always be remembered as the voice of Jeopardy, not to mention many other shows.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #18
Storm Eagle
Saved by

There's a petition going around to have LeVar Burton be the new host.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/11/14/lev...t-of-jeopardy/
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:13 AM   #19
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplexxx View Post
Well really depends on the topics, some topics in any era of the show were easy like ones involving filling in blanks, things starting or ending with certain letters, or just any topics that you or any given person happen to be well-versed in. Probably many found ones involving memorizing names, dates, events, and pinpointing connections between any of which to be hard.
No, the questions in comparison to how they are now were actually pretty easy. I was basing it on that. The topics were more...general knowledge-like to me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #20
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Jeopardy was unique for a game show. It was informative and it left me feeling like I learned a few things.

It definitely won't be the same without Alex, but I won't mind if the show does continue. It can still educate an audience if the new host allows the sitcom to 'follow its own footsteps' so to speak.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote