The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #21
AquaParade
Banned

I get the feeling that Marvel planned on making Captain Marvel a figurehead for sure.

Something happened, but I'm not exactly on board the conspiracy train that Marvel bought all the tickets. Maybe it happened but I haven't seen the reliable evidence yet.
So I have to think they've just noticed the lack of fanfare for the character, from doing research online and in their test-screenings. The character has no charisma, c'mon. What is there to attach yourself to? It's one of the few MCU movies I've never seen or finished, and I'm pretty invested at this point.

It definitely seemed like they were poising her as our next favorite Marvel character, from the press junkets to the movie cliffhangers, but the whole "initiative" sort of seemed to die out, as Andrew just noted. I'd definitely be curious to hear more about what went down.

Edit: thinking more on it, they really fumbled with the character. They wrote her into Endgame when she hadn't even filmed Captain Marvel. Her character is completely boring in both. She was hardly developed enough to have a fitting role in either.

It's like the character was taken out of the oven too soon so she could have time to be in her own movie, which also had to set her up for a golden spot in Endgame. Audiences were treated to two servings of cold food in a row.
In a way, it sort of serves them right for trying to shove that cold food down our throat and make us forget about Wonder Woman.
The fact that those two movies made so much has the doubled effect of giving a huge portion of the audience a poor impression of the character. Now they have to dig themselves out.

Last edited by AquaParade; 04-18-2021 at 06:36 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
thinking more on it, they really fumbled with the character. They wrote her into Endgame when she hadn't even filmed Captain Marvel. Her character is completely boring in both.

It's like the character was taken out of the oven too soon so she could have time to be in her own movie
I definitely think at some point between the Captain Marvel movie and Endgame coming out... Feige and Marvel Studios/Disney bigwigs did a kind of collective, "Uh oh. Maybe we didn't think this through with her."

Definitely. Now... to what end, in what way? That part I can't figure out. I'd like to believe it's an understanding that people weren't catching their drift of what they were throwing down... but I'm not sure.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:42 AM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

Christ. I didn't want to buy into the rumors of her not getting along great with other castmates - There may be some awkward junket moments but that's not enough to say - but, man...she really does seem sort of unbearable and I have to wonder if she stunk up the Marvel office with her personality.

Here is her response to the film breaking $1B at the box office. Am I the only one who think it sounds completely tacky??

“We put unnecessary pressure on ourselves,” Larson said. “I understand film history. I know that the film industry started with a majority of women. It started with women filmmakers. This weird idea that women maybe can’t open movies or are not important to storytelling or the female story is not high art, it’s bogus. I don’t want to for a second buy into it.”

Larson continued, “I’m very grateful to have broken this glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars. I don’t know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place. It’s just like we’re human, whatever. If people needed this to be another reminder this decade [that minority groups can open movies and make a billion dollars] then great, I’m here, I did it.”

What a stinky piece of turd that makes her come across as. Get real, Brie, and acknowledge that the films success is standing on the shoulders of giants. You were propped up by all the hardwork the MCU has done. And no one with a third of a brain ever claimed woman film's can't be "high art" so cut the "strawman" argument b.s.
Damn, it must be hard to not let a successful movie you started in go to your head.

She really comes off as pompous. At the same time, she clearly wants to stand for something, oh so badly. It's too bad that she is really just riding the wave and talking a bunch of crud while she does.

Last edited by AquaParade; 04-18-2021 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Larson continued, “I’m very grateful to have broken this glass ceiling of normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars. I don’t know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place. It’s just like we’re human, whatever. If people needed this to be another reminder this decade [that minority groups can open movies and make a billion dollars] then great, I’m here, I did it.”
Her saying this, AFTER Wonder Woman came out. Which didn't hit a billion globally but nicked it.

Yeesh.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

For real. It's really the "I did it" that gets me. I mean, in any film, the star is only one piece of the puzzle, but in an MCU film, which is the most serialized movie series ever, and in a movie where the VFX team is doing half the work, it just blows my mind that you would phrase your response that way.

I have to wonder if the online trolls have really gotten to her because this is the type of snarky ass response I'd maybe give to them but would never actually utter in public.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You only have to peek at her relatively new YouTube channel to get the answer, I think.

Though definitely we are looking at a wealthy "activist" paying a publicist a lot of money to kind of... salvage and maintain her public image. But the cracks still seep through if you are looking.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It doesn't help that she was brought in this late into the game and that Captain Marvel isn't well liked in the comics nowadays either. I know Marvel Studios didn't do it on purpose but it's a funny coincidence they picked someone incredibly unlikeable to play someone incredibly unlikeable.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
AquaParade
Banned

It is a funny situation. Seemed pretty avoidable. It also didn't help that Feige and co came on so strong with her - 'Here is your new most powerful character who will be the face of the MCU.' It's like they were telling us she is our certified new favorite character.
Very heavy-handed.

Remember when Marvel tried telling us that Iron Man was the crown jewel and would be the new face of the comics? It was clearly motivated by the fact that they owned Iron Man, as opposed to the true crown jewel, Spider-Man.

Didn't seem to work either there or here.

It sort of puts all that in a different context when you remember this was a time before they were about to get the Fox characters and were more desperate for replacements. But it also felt like a desperate snuff attempt at DC's success with Wonder Woman. I don't think they wanted DC to have that "victory" over them by any means.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It's weird because Marvel has been around for decades and suddenly NOW in the last 4-5 years they just realized that they never had a strong female figurehead in the way DC has Wonder Woman.

Justice League aside, Wonder Woman isn't one character among many in a team. She's also not the female version of a pre-existing DC hero like Batgirl or Supergirl.

You can argue the female figurehead for Marvel is Sue Richards, but she's 'just' one of the Fantastic Four and hasn't had a long lasting comic series in her name. The same applies for Storm, she's 'just' one of the X-Men. Then you have She-Hulk, but she's a female version of an existing character.

For whatever reason they grabbed Carol, turned her from Miss Marvel to Captain Marvel and went the Vinnie Mac route of telling us that we WILL like her as Marvel's top female character (and top character overall) or we're sexist.

They shoved her down our throats for years of cancelled number ones and forgot to make the character herself somehow likeable.

Then they made the mistake (or perfect casting) of grabbing stuck up bitch Brie to portray her on the big screen. And history repeat itself but in the MCU.

I just kinda wonder if the gears would have shifted a bit more had they cast someone that could actually act and actually looked like they like being there and also got along with the rest of the crew. I mean, no one on set had a problem with Black Widow, Gamora and Scarlet Witch.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #30
neatoman
Emperor

The thing about Wonder Woman is that I seriously question if she is actually anywhere near as popular as Superman and Batman, or simply just well known? There is a big difference. Even ignoring the relative lack of movies and TV shows compared to Superman and Batman, has her book ever actually sold anywhere near as well as theirs?

None of this is to say Wonder Woman is unpopular or sells poorly, it's just that I kind of always had this feeling DC likes to prop her up for the image rather than because of her fanbase.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #31
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The thing about Wonder Woman is that I seriously question if she is actually anywhere near as popular as Superman and Batman, or simply just well known? There is a big difference. Even ignoring the relative lack of movies and TV shows compared to Superman and Batman, has her book ever actually sold anywhere near as well as theirs?
I think WW is just well-known, but not nearly as popular as Batman or Superman. Or Spider-Man for that matter.

In general, aside from WW I'd be hard pressed to name a female superhero comparable to most popular male characters in terms of popularity.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wonder Woman is obviously the most popular female superhero worldwide, it's not even close. The second might possibly be Batgirl, but only because of her association with the Batman franchise.

After that I dunno, especially if you include the X-men like Jean, Rogue, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #33
sdp
Megan Fox = April

wonder woman isn't the most popular female superhero worldwide. She wasn't that big until the movie made her popular again similar to how iron man was basically a b or c-list hero before his live action movie. She obviously has a fanbase but it's like Samus/Metroid often being placed as nintendo's "Big 3" when no one cares about metroid despite how hard fans and the company try to push it but it adds diversity to what they're marketing.

WW84 obviously got caught between a bad script apparently and the pandemic, we would need to see with a third wonder woman movie if she's actually popular or not, but she's definitely been more popular now than any time in the past 30 years. Supergirl and batgirl are definitely better known worldwide and more iconic.

Spoiler:
NO ONE CARES ABOUT WONDER WOMAN (of course i mean it literally nobody not even a single person!, she has not a single fan!1)
Spoiler:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...3&postcount=33 link to this post so you can quote me in the future

sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

Supergirl and Batgirl are not more widely known or iconic than Wonder Woman.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #35
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hell, DC Comics right now are starting to downplay Barbra Gordon as Batgirl and focus again on her role as Oracle, despite the Burnside persona being the most relevant the character had been in years (and was used as the template for the version you see in Batman vs TMNT)
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

Wonder Woman's popularity has always been kind of a victim of gender biases.

Wonder Woman would be a lot more popular, if not for the fact that:
- Boys aren't "allowed" to like Wonder Woman. "Girls' stuff."
- Girls aren't "supposed" to like comic books and such. "Boys' stuff."

It's like, a lot of kids like or at least appreciate the Wonder Woman character, but when I was a kid I didn't know any boys OR girls who read her comics, for those exact reasons. I knew a lot of kids who bought Justice League comics and liked her just fine in that context, but nobody bought her solo book.

It wasn't that people didn't like her; but if you were a boy and bought Wonder Woman comics, you were "gay". If you were a girl and bought comic books, period, you were "acting like a boy" or whatever. Unless it was Archie stuff, that was "acceptable" for little girls. Absolutely no super-hero comics, though. "Not allowed" for girls.

Supposedly, we've come a long way on such things but I still see/hear about those sorts of stigmas still existing. Most Dads I know would prefer their sons not read/watch Wonder Woman. Most Moms I know would prefer their daughters play with Barbies and ponies and stay away from super-heroes. We really haven't come all that far from where we were 20+ years ago.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #37
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Regardless of the current popularity of Wonder Woman, she still remains the most well-known female superhero. It's not even up for debate. In terms of female comic book characters, even Harley Quinn has yet to surpass her. If anything she's more of a hit with those who love Hot Topic.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:58 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Wonder Woman's popularity has always been kind of a victim of gender biases.

Wonder Woman would be a lot more popular, if not for the fact that:
- Boys aren't "allowed" to like Wonder Woman. "Girls' stuff."
- Girls aren't "supposed" to like comic books and such. "Boys' stuff."

It's like, a lot of kids like or at least appreciate the Wonder Woman character, but when I was a kid I didn't know any boys OR girls who read her comics, for those exact reasons. I knew a lot of kids who bought Justice League comics and liked her just fine in that context, but nobody bought her solo book.

It wasn't that people didn't like her; but if you were a boy and bought Wonder Woman comics, you were "gay".
I think "The Contest" made WW "cool" to dudes of my generation. The one where Artemis took over for WW, then Diana had to fight her way back.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

Batgirl (only Barbara Gordon) and Harley are popular but since they're connected to the Batman universe it's a bit different since they're elevated because of that.

Wonder Woman is by the most well known. I couldn't name any female Marvel Superhero outside the X-men ones until recent years. I didn't even know who Black Widow was till the movies came out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:09 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it'd probably go Wonder Woman, then a big gap... then, like, Storm and Jean Grey, then Captain Marvel below them probably and Batgirl somewhere around there, too.