The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

X-men the 90's Cartoon turns 25

I grew up with this Cartoon. I still love it. Did a lot of the Comics better than any of the Singer X-men Movies. Loved the Cartoon version of Wolverine Beast and Gambit
Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

This show was destination television for me when it was on running.

Did they run episodes out of order for anyone else? Or was that a local thing that only happened in my region.

I think that's what made it feel like the comic for me, I had no idea what was going on from episode to episode.
Loved it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

The way they showed Racism towards Mutants in that Cartoon is basically what's going on today in the real world
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Did they run episodes out of order for anyone else? Or was that a local thing that only happened in my region.
Yeah, it was a mess for everybody, I think. And sometimes there would be different versions of episodes to air (and re-air) with revised animation frames. That wasn't uncommon back in the day, as sometimes overseas animation studios produced late or unsatisfactory work.

I think the gap between Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Saga was one of the worst offenders. "No Mutant Is an Island" aired way out of order and there are confirmed multiple versions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comm...an_island_has/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I grew up with X-men Evolution as my first X-men cartoon:

Aired in the early 2000's on KidsWB on Saturday Mornings, loosely based on the X-men movies that came out at the same time.

Was a great series, too bad it ended right before they could do the Dark Pheonix story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, Evolution is way better. The 90's cartoon is ugly and convoluted and weird.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
plastroncafe

Which makes it a pretty damn fine adaptation of the source material.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

You got me there.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, Evolution is way better. The 90's cartoon is ugly and convoluted and weird.

I remember first seeing the 90s show in reruns on ABC Family in around 2001, when Evolution was in its second season or so. It holds up in a way that things from the same time, like MMPR, just don't. There's also a great synergy between it and the Jim Lee era comics from the '90s.

Even today, I can't read Beast, Wolverine, or Rogue's dialogue in the comics without hearing George Buza, Cathal Dodd and Lenore Zann's respective voices.

I'm so glad the show finally got a full DVD release a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
https://i.imgur.com/s4eamxv.jpg?fb

I remember first seeing the 90s show in reruns on ABC Family in around 2001, when Evolution was in its second season or so. It holds up in a way that things from the same time, like MMPR, just don't. There's also a great synergy between it and the Jim Lee era comics from the '90s.

Even today, I can't read Beast, Wolverine, or Rogue's dialogue in the comics without hearing George Buza, Cathal Dodd and Lenore Zann's respective voices.

I'm so glad the show finally got a full DVD release a few years ago.
same here once i saw the Dvd's got released I nabbed them. Now if only Disney and Marvel would get off there butts and release the Spider-Man 94 cartoon

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 11-03-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
The 90's cartoon is ugly and convoluted and weird.
Which is why it's superior.

Evolution is vastly overrated. Half of it doesn't hold up, it never had a decent season finale other than when the school got outed either. Just a very boring show that had a wealth of potential.

Can you even think of one memorable line from Evolution? Seriously, 90s X-Men has THOUSANDS of meme worthy dialouge

"I AM STILL PLUGGED IN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
same here once i saw the Dvd's got released I nabbed them. Now if only Disney and Marvel would get off there butts and release the Spider-Man 94 cartoon

https://i.imgur.com/qyAIZEC.jpg
Just buy a regionless player and purchase the complete set they released in Europe

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 11-03-2017 at 03:01 PM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Can you even think of one memorable line from Evolution? Seriously, 90s X-Men has THOUSANDS of meme worthy dialouge

"I AM STILL PLUGGED IN"

I forgot all about that.

I've always liked how Storm was like the William Shatner of this show.

"Swirl, mighty winds, and carry us to JEEEEEEEAAAN!"

Nobody ever seems to talk about Wolverine and the X-Men, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I don't really watch **** thinking about "memes" but sure, whatevs.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
plastroncafe

I don't either, but I do enjoy a good meme when it happens.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

X-Men TAS get a lot of undeserved hate because its "cool" to hate on it on the internet but its by far the best X-Men show we've gotten at least in terms of adapting stories from the comics.

Yeah the animations and dialog might not have aged the best but think of the time it was released, it was as ground breaking as BTAS was and yet it doesn't get the recognition. We had on going storylines, controversial themes, hell the Red Sky seasons of TMNT were made because of it and there were many shows that dealt with the theme of "mutants not being wanted" or similar stuff in the 90s all coming from X-Men. All the Marvel Animated shows we got in the 90s including Spider-Man were thanks to it as well.

I'm surprised with how much the show was able to get through and even the last season which is cheaply animated gave us a decent series finale for the time.

X-Men Evolution is pretty good too, though it's indeed overrated, it also took a while to get good, the first season is awful with the whole "X-Men in school" idea luckily they got rid of that for the most part starting with season 2. It had a good run but hardly the best interpretation of X-Men.

Wolverine & The X-Men made by the same writers of Evolution is also pretty good, but it only lasted one season, so not enough time to really become the best animated show but it had a good run.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #16
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know this is the first time I hear people say X men Evolution is overrated and X men TAs is overhated, usually its the other way around also put me in the camp that prefers Evolution over TAS. I thought the high school aspect was executed well and it didn't get bogged down to crazy plot points and an overwhelming amount of mutants during the 1st season also I didn't care for 90s Marvel Aesthetic
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well it depends where you're getting the opinions from, if you get it from "casuals" on say FB you'll get people who grew up with X-Men TAS as the greatest thing ever without even have watched Evolution.

When you get to the nerdier parts of the internet then everyone disses x-men and praises evolution as if it were the greatest thing ever which it isn't. I still like Evolution, good show good finale, it didn't need the phoenix saga.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #18
Sumac
Banned

I loved this cartoon.
I loved how it had lots of arcs and stories intertwined, however, sometimes, it was hard to follow what's going on, because, sometimes I have missed episode or two.

I know, nowadays it's a fad to hate it, as well, as OT TMNT and 90-s Spider Man, but I think it was a decent show for a time when it was released.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
Allio
Foot Elite

https://youtu.be/2rSw4Xl5qfs

Japanese opening is grand
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #20
Wesley
Mad Scientist

One of my favourite cartoons as a kid, though I’ve moved on from the X-Men franchise nowadays. It was good for its time, though, and I liked Evolution as well as a teenager.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote