The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #81
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I forgot to mention that I really liked Eleven and Max becoming closer and becoming gal pals. With the way she seemed to get jealous of her in season 2 and snubbed her when Max extended her hand to shake hers, I was a little scared if how that would resolve it self (was Eleven going to get violent with max?) I honestly feel that that they killed the tension too quickly on the Eleven feeling worried/jealous of Max potentially taking her place in the group, but with the way the story line jumps ahead in time by several months or a whole year, I guess they could not keep up that misunderstanding between for that long a time.

I really enjoyed Eleven having another girl to interact with, it was fun to watch. I think she needs that and Max and her make a good duo. I like how Max helped her pick out a new look for her that she feels is all her own.

I was a little worried that Max was going to corrupt Eleven a bit and make her feel negative towards Mike. Other than that it was all good to me.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Gotta say though, was kind excited by the possibility that Billy was going to killed in the first episode.
I get what you are saying, because I really found Billy to be bland and a walking stereotype. But I felt he was just beginning to get some depth and I would have liked to see that expanded on, but they just killed him. Also I was a little surprised that Max seemed to genuinely care about him. Last season implied Billy was abusive toward her.

Quote:
It was just...really great though that Mike's mom came to her senses around Billy, but man...that is one B O R I N G husband.
I seriously thought that she was going to go full cougar there for a minute. I like that she didn't do that, because she would destroyed her family. But The whole cougar bathing suit scene was cringy. I wonder if they will ever do anything with the subplot of Mike's mom being dissatisfied in her marriage. Mike's dad really is just a barely engaged with his family guy. I like Mike's mom had more to do this season with her pep talk with Nancy and going for that story. But Jeez woman, keep better tract of your kids. When Joyce asked her if she knew where Mike and the kids were and she was all like, "uhhh...dunno. It's been days since I've seen them." I was like WTF?

Quote:
You'd think at this point that Hopper would be taking her a little more seriously with all the nonsense that's been going down
Hopper was a tad flanderized in this season but he was combative/dismissive with Joyce because he was still salty about being stood up by Joyce.

That conspiracy theory guy made a come back and played an even bigger role than last season. I like him and I thought it was cool that he warmed up to Alexi (the Russian dude Hopper and Joyce captured) and that he helped in the final show down. I was worried he was going to get killed off. I liked how he went off on Joyce and Hopper and told them to get over themselves and just screw already.

He also made a pretty good point about Joyce that I think ties in to her attraction to Bob. He said she has been hurt and wants a nice guy to date (paraphrased) and to drop that sh*t and just admit she is attracted to an alpha like Hopper. It kind of made me wish that Bob had been spared last season, because it would have been interesting to see her come to grips with her desire to settle down with a nice down to earth guy and realize if that is what she wants, or to just go for Hopper. That line seemed to imply that Joyce's attraction to someone like Bob not be all the way genuine.

And one more thing:

Spoiler:
Does anyone understand why exactly Eleven lost her powers? That thing was embedded in her leg and when she used her powers to rip it out suddenly her powers were gone. Did the monster absorb her powers? Is that what they were implying?

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #82
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
I was a little worried that Max was going to corrupt Eleven a bit and make her feel negative towards Mike. Other than that it was all good to me.
For a while I was a little worried they were going to go down a whole different route with Max and Eleven.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #83
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Did anyone noticed the Dark Crystal's Pod dance theme in the scene of Will the wise? that was a nice nod and a sneaky little self promo to another Netflix show coming next month.

And that scene where Dustin and Suzie sang Neverending Story was quite funny.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Did anyone noticed the Dark Crystal's Pod dance theme in the scene of Will the wise? that was a nice nod and a sneaky little self promo to another Netflix show coming next month.
It's been a lifetime since I've seen so it was lost on me.

Quote:
And that scene where Dustin and Suzie sang Neverending Story was quite funny.
I loved it. The bit where they cut away to the Mind Flayer trogging along behind the car while the song is still playing... that made it really pop.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:53 AM   #85
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #86
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Almost done watching Season 3.

Not enjoying it, really. Too many characters, with original characters just kind of meandering through the show. Lucas and Mike barely do anything the first half of the season except whine about girls, not played D&D, and done basically jack.

The horror is increased, but the actual reason to care about most of these characters feels drastically decreased.

Except Dustin and Steve. And Robin. Those three rock.

And why the fvck does Will have so little to do?

(Oh, and the whole Russian angle feels really cliche and 80's... right down to the big not Dolph Lungren guy.)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #87
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Done with the season.

Once it finally got going, the last 2-3 episodes were great. But overall, Season 3 is a big step down in terms of overall. Seasons 1 and 2 worked a lot better IMO.

Also, there's no way the American is who we all want it to be.

RIP, Alexei. RIP, you-know-who.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
And why the fvck does Will have so little to do?
I think because he was really ran through the ringer for two seasons and they wanted to take it easy on him. Unforunately this seemed to translate into him not being given much to do but, yeah, whine about girls and say vaguely gay things to stoke the "OMG is Will gay??" hubbub.

Quote:
(Oh, and the whole Russian angle feels really cliche and 80's... right down to the big not Dolph Lungren guy.)
Oh, I'm sure that's 100% what they were going for.

Quote:
Done with the season.

Once it finally got going, the last 2-3 episodes were great. But overall, Season 3 is a big step down in terms of overall. Seasons 1 and 2 worked a lot better IMO.
You're kidding me. You liked 2 better than 3? How?

Quote:
Also, there's no way the American is who we all want it to be.
Spoiler:
No, it's not Hopper (though he's definitely alive... we saw that catwalk afterward and it was clean as a whistle)... my bet is Dr. Brenner.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #89
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think because he was really ran through the ringer for two seasons and they wanted to take it easy on him. Unforunately this seemed to translate into him not being given much to do but, yeah, whine about girls and say vaguely gay things to stoke the "OMG is Will gay??" hubbub.
Yeah, they'll probably turn "Will is gay" into a thing. I would have taken that for just a "Will isn't horned up yet / hasn't hit puberty as hard as the others", but inclusion gonna include.

Quote:
You're kidding me. You liked 2 better than 3? How?
A big reason I liked Stranger Things was the kids felt very far from stereotypical "TV" kids in the first season. They all made pretty smart choices compared to horror movie tropes and cliches. But "kids in love" always pisses me off, because it's always so petty and overwraught with emotion.

It's like how shows (cough CW cough) can't allow women to just be women or gays to just be gays. They have to be better and stronger and smarter and tell you so every five minutes, like Felicity or I'm sure their upcoming version of Kate Kane. Just let the kids be kids.

The last few episodes of 3 made up for the slog of the first 4-5 episodes. But overall, Season 2 still focused on the kids, the cast was nice and tight (for the most part), and I felt like all of the Party (Will, Eleven, Mike, Lucas, Dustin) were integrally involved.

Season 3, Lucas did the fireworks. That was it. Jonathan fixed a car. That was it.

(Oh, and I liked the "Eleven hangs out with her big sister" episode a lot more than most people in Season 2.)

Quote:
No, it's not [redacted] (though he's definitely alive... we saw that catwalk afterward and it was clean as a whistle)... my bet is Dr. Brenner.
I really don't think [you-know-who] survived. I want him to have survived, but where could he have run or hid that would have saved him from getting dusted?

That's who I think it is, too. Papa.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #90
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I really don't think [you-know-who] survived. I want him to have survived, but where could he have run or hid that would have saved him from getting dusted?
Spoiler:
Naw, if they were gonna kill Hopper they would have made it definitive like everyone else who has actually gotten killed off. Same with Dr. Brenner, who was "killed" off-screen (who we were literally told is still alive in season 2 by that guy that Eleven and her big sister screw with).

That said, I really wish they'd have made a better showing of it LOOKING like a definitive death for Hopper. That yanked me right out of the emotion of the scene and the epilogue.

Where did he go? If you look close you can see a ladder going down from the catwalk he was on... perhaps there, whisked off by Russians through their catacomb-like tunnels? Perhaps the energy shot him into the Upside Down or maybe the sister site in Russia?

Or, to your credit, maybe they did the "death" somewhat vaguely so that just in case David Harbour had to do Hellboy 2-6 back-to-back, they left themselves an "out" for the character.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #91
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Spoiler:
Naw, if they were gonna kill Hopper they would have made it definitive like everyone else who has actually gotten killed off. Same with Dr. Brenner, who was "killed" off-screen (who we were literally told is still alive in season 2 by that guy that Eleven and her big sister screw with).

That said, I really wish they'd have made a better showing of it LOOKING like a definitive death for Hopper. That yanked me right out of the emotion of the scene and the epilogue.

Where did he go? If you look close you can see a ladder going down from the catwalk he was on... perhaps there, whisked off by Russians through their catacomb-like tunnels? Perhaps the energy shot him into the Upside Down or maybe the sister site in Russia?

Or, to your credit, maybe they did the "death" somewhat vaguely so that just in case David Harbour had to do Hellboy 2-6 back-to-back, they left themselves an "out" for the character.
I mean, they did obviously leave themselves an out so that they can bring him back. But I don't know that I'll find any explanation very believable. Destructive energy discharging wildly all over the place, disintegrating people at a touch, but somehow, our hero safely hid under a walkway and was dragged off to captivity? It strains my willing suspension of disbelief.

Although, yes... if the energy isn't disintegrating people but instead transporting them to the Upside Down... THAT I could believe.

It will be interesting to see where Season 4 goes...
Old 09-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #92
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Renewed for season 4:

https://netflixlife.com/2019/09/30/s...BLeioZYc5RnmTc

Odd that it's just being renewed now?
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #93
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Renewed for season 4:

https://netflixlife.com/2019/09/30/s...BLeioZYc5RnmTc

Odd that it's just being renewed now?
Probably had something to do with the 9 figure overall deal Netflix signed with the duffer brothers. Negotiate with all the chips on the table then make an announcement. I don’t know
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

David Harbour wants you to text him. Seriously.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32...-him-for-real/
Old 04-04-2020, 10:18 PM   #95
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol I hope he has a separate phone he actually wants to use normally.

Aka when celebrity extroverts get bored of the lockdown. I don't need a conversation with him...all I need is a rough date of the next season premier.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #96
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Season four will be split into two volumes, and the show will come to an end with season five

https://deadline.com/2022/02/strange...te-1234935526/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #97
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It seriously feels like a lifetime since season 3.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #98
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It seriously feels like a lifetime since season 3.
Yes and I’m so tired of these stupid split seasons!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The full trailer:

I like what I'm seeing but I wonder/worry if they're going to go in and explain everything. I'm not sure if they should explain why the Upside Down is.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:47 PM   #100
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Haven't even looked at any trailers and avoiding them, just want to dive into it when it comes out. Already did a rewatch of it last month. Most I know is what we'd probably all been assuming since the end of the last season and seemed like a given, luckily. (But I really don't know about that shaved head, hope it eventually grows back in the series. lol)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gonna cis my pants, stranger cucks, stranger gays