The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #1361
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
All-Star Superman is hailed as one of the definitive Superman stories
I was referring to All-Star Batman and Robin as Loeb was meant to write it before he left in late 2005. I wanted to see Loeb write Batman outside of his formula.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #1362
Leo656
The Franchise

Also, All-Star Superman is objectively one of the most overrated Superman stories of all time. It's good, but it's only "great" if you prefer the Silver Age over anything from 1986 and afterwards.

I grew up with Byrne's Superman, and while I have quite a few Silver Age books, I can see why "only little kids read Superman" was the general consensus for so many decades until Byrne's reboot. They have a certain naive charm, but they're overwhelmingly silly, and I'm not even sure the character would still be in print if they hadn't decided to do a complete 180 after "Crisis". After 50 years it was long overdue for the character to "grow up".

"All-Star" leans 200% into the Silver Age - which I understand because Grant Morrison grew up in the "Super Friends" Era, so I understand that he wrote it through the eyes of his childhood self - but that's exactly why it's only "good, not Great" to me. I actually thought the animated film was a little bit better, if only for trimming a lot of the fat while keeping the main bits of the story intact. It didn't go completely off the rails like a lot of the more recent animated misfires have.

All-Star Batman and Robin, though... woof, what a pooch. Some of Jim Lee's best work, but holy sh*t. Frank Miller, to a guy who's never read much "Daredevil", is simply a hack who got lucky exactly one-and-a-half times.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #1363
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Post-Crisis and pre... eh, let's say a bit after Infinite Crisis but a bit before Flashpoint, represents the last "Age" where DC editorial carved out a direction and stuck with it, and made their creative teams tow the line. Since then it's all WB calling the shots (largely using the comics as commercials for their crappy movies) from afar, with directions and supporting casts that only last as long as a writer's stint and nobody really talking to each other. I don't mean to say it's the inmates running the asylum as much as it is like an asylum with... no inmates.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #1364
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So now apparently Wally's kids are alive after all, and that his actions in Heroes In Crisis were influenced by the dark multiverse, not PSTD
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #1365
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Hey Leo, it's 2015 again

Quote:
SUPERMAN #19
written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
variant cover by BRYAN HITCH
One day later! What happens the day after Superman reveals his secret identity to the world? And what repercussions will his decision have across the entire DC Universe? Plus, Superman: president of Earth?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #1366
ZariusTwo
Overlord

From what Bendis indicates in his NYT interview, DC decided to abandon his original plan for the Lois/Clark/Superman "triangle" plotline and decided to just go with a straight identity reveal instead. one villain will switch sides, inspired by Clark's reveal.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...-switch-sides/
Old 10-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #1368
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Some editorial shuffles apparently happening at DC

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/...-superman-dcu/

-Ben Abernathy replaces Jaime Rich as Batman Group Editor

-Jaime Rich becomes Superman Group Editor

-Alex Carr becomes DCU Group Editor

-Bryan Cunningham becomes Senior Story Editor
Old 11-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #1369
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Francis Manapul's original plans for the cancelled Aquaman: Earth One project are to be potentially repurposed for the new Aquaman of 5G.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...-dc-comics-5g/

And for people uncertain of wanting to part cash to infest in all new heroes replacing the older ones...the Black Label line will be used to tell stories with the more traditional heroes priced $7.99

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...d-black-label/
Old 11-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #1370
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

If I understand this currently, DC is forcing diversity by replacing their six biggest heroes with non-whites? While the actual heirs Dick, Wally, Donna, Garth,and Kyle are passed over? Supergirl is more of Superman's heir IMHO, but I suppose it is the current son of Clark? Due to an outcry the current adult print label will print books with the big six while they are forced out due to diversity for a hiatus.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #1371
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So buy our forced diversity books at $3.99 or go over there in the corner and buy the ones that resemble what you know at $7.99?

Something like that?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #1372
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

DC does not realize it is making three words much more appealing: back issue bin.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #1373
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.newsarama.com/47882-dc-c...citations.html

Alfred Pennyworth is dead for real? I thought it was a fake out as a part of some plan by Batman and that he was evacuated ahead of Bane's temporary takeover? Odd time for a break from the character since Pennyworth is just starting. Batman'66 including him is what got him revived which makes it odder. Its temporary.

What secret would Catwoman share with the big three of Batman's rouges gallery? I suppose Bruce had a "secret" so now its Selina's turn for a "secret". Perhaps the quartet once sucked the hydrated molecules out of the U.N. Security Council and she willingly took part?
Old 11-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #1374
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://www.newsarama.com/47882-dc-c...citations.html

Alfred Pennyworth is dead for real? I thought it was a fake out as a part of some plan by Batman and that he was evacuated ahead of Bane's temporary takeover? Odd time for a break from the character since Pennyworth is just starting. Batman'66 including him is what got him revived which makes it odder. Its temporary.

What secret would Catwoman share with the big three of Batman's rouges gallery? I suppose Bruce had a "secret" so now its Selina's turn for a "secret". Perhaps the quartet once sucked the hydrated molecules out of the U.N. Security Council and she willingly took part?
Yeah, I thought it had been confirmed Bane hadn't actually killed Alfred... and now this?

Oh well. Not like I'm reading King's abysmal take on Batman anyway, so... <shrug>
Old 11-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #1375
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, I thought it had been confirmed Bane hadn't actually killed Alfred... and now this?

Oh well. Not like I'm reading King's abysmal take on Batman anyway, so... <shrug>
I get my information form CBR and a pair of message boards. I don't read it myself (aside form #50-54). Is it some kind of what if? However, I argree with the shrug. Its just this...
https://www.cbr.com/batman-alfred-st...ive-explained/

Also, the whole alternate evil Batman occurrence is old and works even less when its an altenrate reality.

Though he does ship Bruce/Selina so I will give him that at the very least despite the fake out that made no sense in #50's climax.

I am more interested in Detective Comics at the moment. There will be a likely dull two part story about child abductions with Damien co-starring after Nora is stopped, but Two Face returns with the plotpoint of the Harvey Dent persona still effecting Two Face like the Kobra arc #989-993.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #1376
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Recently, DC co-President Dan DiDio publicly fumed that reissues of comics 30 and 40 years old were outselling current stories featuring the same characters, calling that a “failure on us.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalk...s#20f8c96779b7

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #1377
CyberCubed
Overlord

So DC is still killing off popular characters for shock value and retconning and then ruining characterisations?

I will stick to my "kiddie cartoons," I guess.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #1378
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

That answers my question on why all these old reprints are taking up shelf space. Its a good thing that shows the strength of the back issue log. People could get digital copies or read them for free or like me get a run of back issues on the secondary market yet they prefer cheap hard copies of classic issues.

I do love the Snickers ad, the Batman chasing Catwoman on a cat themed jewel heist, a ridiculous trap set by The Riddler, Clayface (Matt Hagen) holding discotech going youth's hostage for ransom and stopped by The Dynamite Duo. If only it was full length and did not have to revolve around Snickers. Its the best part of some of the comics.

I said it before and I said it again, Didio needs to retire. This diversity enforcement will blow up in his face. Dick and Wally are the true heirs. Create new heroes, its an easy answer that creators are not willing to invest in.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #1379
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I get my information form CBR and a pair of message boards. I don't read it myself (aside form #50-54). Is it some kind of what if? However, I argree with the shrug. Its just this...
https://www.cbr.com/batman-alfred-st...ive-explained/
But they're still releasing this weird "RIP Alfred" story? It makes zero sense.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman