The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Why do most media franchises have something almost everyone seems to hate?

I know this could also be in "Books, Comics, and Other Literature", but I have to chose.

Why do most media franchises have at least something almost everyone seems to hate?

TMNT has the 1991 and 1993 films, Next Mutation, seasons 5-7 of the 4 Kids series, Dreamwave Comics (if it counts, ending after just seven issues) and the Platinum Dunes films (somehow it seems the Fred Wolf series has ended up in this category after the October 2009 Nickelodeon purchase. Maybe it began in a larger scale with the jokes about it in Turtles Forever).

Star Wars has the prequels (which I can't understand, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I watched them and think they're well-done, so even the prequels, and especially the 2005 film was good and even the 1999 one was OK). I also think Star Wars did a good job inspring to other science fiction, both softer and harder, as well as science fantasy. The prequels explroed the interplanetary politics of the galaxy where Star Wars is set, maybe something for TMNT to take more inspirations from for Dimension X or the Theta Galaxy.

Batman has the late-1960's series (which defined Batman until the 1989 film). The Justice League probably has Superfriends (not sure).

Masters of the Universe has the 1987 live-action film. I don't think producing such a film was easy back in 1987, maybe unless you have the same budgets amounts of money and producers as with Star Wars.

Transformers has Michael Bay's films

Home Alone has everything past the 1990 and 1992 films.

This song could go on and one, but compare to music artists. Different fans like different songs (some liked Bee Gees and ABBA when they played pop, other liked when they played disco. Some like country music songs about man and woman relations like Tammy Wynette's Stand by Your Man, but I like Dolly Parton's catchy songs and her songs about her home in Tennessee, and some other too), and that's how I thought it was with media franchises before getting Internet access.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 01-27-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, look at the varieties of fanfic people write and the differences in things people would like to see happen in a show/film/book. If you toss the official writers of a franchise in the same boat, esp if they too are fans of the property they work for... well, I guess one writer's idea they really like is another person's feeling of "wtf is this?"
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Knight Rider has virtually anything that came after the original series, though I quite like the KR 2000 movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Batman has the late-1960's series
Dude, 60's Batman is'nt "hated", you ask around and you'll find most people would kill for the franchise to go back to those preposterous levels (I've always held a theory Batman and Robin would probably have been more of a hit in the age of the MCU). The only season that gets hazed from that era is the last one with Batgirl.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Because, if franchise exists for more than 10 years, there is a good chance, that at least one of its incarnations will be a stinker.
You can not hit the gold every single time.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

My guess is folks become accustomed to certain flavors and that flavor can only be enhanced so much before turning sour. And when you have an enormous success it becomes tough for any successor to fill the shoes.

As far as music goes, some artists/bands become less popular when changing things up to much or trying solo careers. Artists/bands have a difficult time trying to match/top their greatest hits.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
seasons 5-7 of the 4 Kids series,
Not sure where you got that from, many people liked Season 5 and 6.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Because, if franchise exists for more than 10 years, there is a good chance, that at least one of its incarnations will be a stinker.
You can not hit the gold every single time.
This, plus Sturgeon's Law.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I've always held a theory Batman and Robin would probably have been more of a hit in the age of the MCU.
With how much the Worlds of DC (DCEU) are leaning towards that tone, I can see it.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Star Wars has the prequels
I don't think the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the prequels is anywhere comparable to the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the reception of "The Last Jedi." "The prequels (almost) destroyed the franchise!" was a quantifiably FAKE narrative cooked up by Disney to justify their "safe" TFA remake of ANH. "The Last Jedi" has beaten the franchise within a Negan bat and people are literally giving up on the franchise in droves.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:17 AM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the prequels is anywhere comparable to the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the reception of "The Last Jedi." "The prequels (almost) destroyed the franchise!" was a quantifiably FAKE narrative cooked up by Disney to justify their "safe" TFA remake of ANH. "The Last Jedi" has beaten the franchise within a Negan bat and people are literally giving up on the franchise in droves.
But Walt Disney Studios didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

The concept of the Star Wars prequels is much older (probably as old as the films themselves)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...-Wars-prequels
Old 07-28-2018, 03:20 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But Walt Disney Studios didn't buy Lucasfilm until October 2012

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942

The concept of the Star Wars prequels is much older (probably as old as the films themselves)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/foru...-Wars-prequels
This means nothing.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #12
Vegita-San
Emperor

because studios arn't making things for the fans anymore.

imagine how big a hit ghostbusters 3 would have been, if it had a good plot, like the video game? Everyone back, nostalgia with new stuff everywhere. a win win situation.

instead, look what we got, look how it went, and boom.

That history is repeating itself with star wars. and will probably repeat itself with other franchises, where the people involved are so egotistical as to think you can completely rechange something and CONSTANTLY reboot it, and think everyone will fall in line and love it.

Some properties can only be rebooted so many times before they loose the charm they had originally. sometimes its better off letting things remain dead than ruined.

remember, sometimes dead is betta

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post

imagine how big a hit ghostbusters 3 would have been, if it had a good plot, like the video game? Everyone back, nostalgia with new stuff everywhere. a win win situation.
I was at Wal-Mart yesterday night and saw 2016 Ghostbusters in the Blu-ray bargain bin. Perhaps the time is right for you to give it another chance, Vegita-San.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
Vegita-San
Emperor

i gave three paul feig movies ONE chance, because someone said i needed to see others before i could fully judge.

my first opinion was right. not wasting any more money!

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Idk. I remember lots of hate for the phantom menace back then.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Granted, I'm a good deal older than the bulk of people on here, who probably remember those movies as fond childhood memories, but I remember there being a LOT of hate for the prequels, and also for the OT Edits.
And while the ire for the new ones certainly seems louder, thanks to social media, it was just as noxious then as it is now.

The only thing salvageable from those movies was McGregor's Alec Guinness impersonation.

That's one of the many reasons why I've yet to see the follow up cartoons, even though I've heard from several reliable sources that they're excellent.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

The prequels were commercially successful, and even did okay with critics. But they still alienated a good portion of the veteran fanbase, which viewers of Spaced and South Park should know all about.

They made a freakin' documentary about it, man.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Granted, I'm a good deal older than the bulk of people on here, who probably remember those movies as fond childhood memories, but I remember there being a LOT of hate for the prequels, and also for the OT Edits.
And while the ire for the new ones certainly seems louder, thanks to social media, it was just as noxious then as it is now.

The only thing salvageable from those movies was McGregor's Alec Guinness impersonation.

That's one of the many reasons why I've yet to see the follow up cartoons, even though I've heard from several reliable sources that they're excellent.

Seconded on all of this. I was already out of high school by the time Phantom Menace came out, and while I liked it, there was much flack about it once the critics and fanbase had gotten over the excitement. Heck Jar-Jar was hated even then!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post

I was born in 1990 so you can easily do the math and tell how old I was when the Phantom Menace came out. before that I had already seen the original trilogy several times since my family had a VHS set of it.

I didn't like Phantom Menace. And liked Attack of the Clones even less. And I was a hyped for them, trust me.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #20
Overlord

Quote:
I don't think the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the prequels is anywhere comparable to the level of outrage and ire exhibited by the reception of "The Last Jedi.".
That's another thing. Once something new comes out, the hate focus will usually move to that new stuff.