The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one?
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 6 23.08%
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones 6 23.08%
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith 1 3.85%
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope 1 3.85%
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 0 0%
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi 0 0%
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens 12 46.15%
A Star Wars Story: Rogue One 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 AM   #41
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm 100% positive we'll see the Kessel Run, we'll get a mandated joke about "parsecs" correcting the ages old thing, we'll get Han rescuing Chewie with the life debt, and we'll get Han winning the Falcon from Lando. That's the movie, for sure. Lame.
I've heard jokes about how they'll probably end up smuggling a jedi/force sensitive which puts them in hot water to explain his mistrust of the Force and the like because everything needs an origin story. Which I could totally see them doing.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Or... dare I say it... the only good movie in the entire series.

I've enjoyed a few of them, but Rogue One is the only one I would ever consider good by any measure.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For me, "Rogue One" felt like every bit the "Suicide Squad" of the Star Wars franchise it actually was. A Frankenstein-like patchwork of different visions and reshoots to meet a higher-up corporate directive... a truly soulless thing with only fleeting entertaining moments. All of it completely forgettable.

I like the bunch of actors, though. They did have good chemistry.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #43
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I've enjoyed a few of them, but Rogue One is the only one I would ever consider good by any measure.
My friend said the same thing to me. I slapped him pretty good, too
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
My friend said the same thing to me. I slapped him pretty good, too
You're a good man, Krutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I've heard jokes about how they'll probably end up smuggling a jedi/force sensitive which puts them in hot water to explain his mistrust of the Force
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. But it'll probably be a Force sensitive huckster, a fake, to better set up Han's skepticism. Because a 30 year old character that is already dead needs that explained.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #45
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I didn't bother to see Rogue One, but I thought it probably wasn't a great sign that the two minutes at the end with Vader was all anyone wanted to talk about and everyone just stopped discussing it and moved on inside of a month.

Quote:
Because a 30 year old character that is already dead needs that explained.
Yeah. Man, if they do that... well, if they do that it's about the same as making a film about stealing the Death Star plans, I guess. So, par for the course.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 AM   #46
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
i think the reason they are doing a Han Solo prequel is just to expose audiences to a legacy character re-cast.

i wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't eventually just flat out re-make episodes 4, 5 and 6.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #47
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I thought Rogue One was great.
It was a far better tackle of politics than the prequels gave lip service to being.

My reasoning for thinking the prequels did the most damage to the franchise stems from their over-reliance of flash, but no bang.

Lucas is a great idea man, but I really think a collaborator would have helped the world building and screen writing.

I'd mention the over-reliance on CG, but that's hardly something to blame just those three movies on. That's an industry problem, not something specific to just this franchise.

I've a theory that I'd have enjoyed all three of the prequels more had they been entirely animated, rather than a handful of live-actors in front of a green screen. There's something about full animation that glosses over so many cinema sins.

Or maybe I'm just confusing those movies with the far superior animated series that followed.
Either way, I don't get why the newer flicks get nearly the drum and strange they do.
It's not as though the original three movies were anything more than A Hero's Quest.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #48
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, that Han Solo movie seems it will be doing a lot of damage to the franchise, no one wants it.

I'm also happy to see the tables turning on TFA, when it came out I was nothing but the "single" hater for not liking the film but as time passed more and more people have been changing their minds. I guess re-watches of the movie don't hold up.

Episode III had a similar reaction as "the first good prequel", "as good as ESB" etc and over the years it fell in ranking with fans, some still swear by it but they're now a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I thought Rogue One was great.
It was a far better tackle of politics than the prequels gave lip service to being.
No way, the politics are easily the best part of the prequels even if most find those scenes boring, made to resemble the world in the past and even resembles the world in the present. Rogue One is a shadow of that.

Quote:
Lucas is a great idea man, but I really think a collaborator would have helped the world building and screen writing.

I'd mention the over-reliance on CG, but that's hardly something to blame just those three movies on. That's an industry problem, not something specific to just this franchise.

I've a theory that I'd have enjoyed all three of the prequels more had they been entirely animated, rather than a handful of live-actors in front of a green screen. There's something about full animation that glosses over so many cinema sins.
Yes, most agree Lucas just needs someone to tell him "no" every once in a while.

Did you know that the PT had more practical effects than the OT? So it's not that they didn't use them or only filmed in green screen, the CG just stands out more but it goes against the narrative so its often skipped.

Also at the time the PT was breaking ground doing so many things with CG, just like the OT did, regardless of what we may think of it, at the time it was cool that they were experimenting with these things.

Quote:

Or maybe I'm just confusing those movies with the far superior animated series that followed.
Either way, I don't get why the newer flicks get nearly the drum and strange they do.
It's not as though the original three movies were anything more than A Hero's Quest.
The OT is a mix of ideas already done but in a new way, pretty much any great movie has basis on past ideas. It's how they're done in a new way which sets them apart.

Which animated series? The Clone Wars or Clone Wars?
I find both to be incredibly overrated and far from "better than the prequels", interesting stories here and there but most of my complains about the prequels are still in the show
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #49
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I didn't find the political scenes boring, I found them inconsequential and poorly balanced with the rest of the movie.

It didn't work for me.
The newer movies do.

Maybe it's a generational thing. I am a good deal older than the bulk of you lot.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #50
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The generational thing is true, I was still in Elementary when I saw Episode I and it hit all the right cords that I still love now and feel it's as Star Wars as the rest while for Ep.III I was in High School and it just didn't do it for me, I still rank the prequels I>II>III.

I love Ewoks but I'm guessing many that hate Ewoks are because by the time ROTJ came out they were older.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #51
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I loved the Ewok cartoon...was kinda dismayed to find it's absolutely loathed and derided online
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #52
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

That animated bit from the holiday special is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #53
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I still rank the prequels I>II>III.
You are not alone in that, my ranking of PT: I > III > II.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
You are not alone in that, my ranking of PT: I > III > II.
Same. Though I still really, really despise large chunks of the Obi-Wan & Anakin fight... just not as much as so much of Episode II is cringeworthy or meaningless.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

Iii > i > ii
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #56
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if Disney didn't eventually just flat out re-make episodes 4, 5 and 6.
That's pretty likely to happen at some point. Possibly in the future when/if the series loses some luster from becoming just another franchise and they want guaranteed massive openings. That's what's funny/sad about seeing people upset about someone being cast as a young Han; I have the suspicion that at some point, we're going to see the entire original crew recast.

Quote:
I didn't find the political scenes boring, I found them inconsequential and poorly balanced with the rest of the movie.
That's mostly on George Lucas and his directing style. I'm pretty sure the man has even said at one point that he's not a good director. Someone else helping on that front - or doing the directing duties themselves - would have helped the prequels immensely, especially when it came to leaving things on the cutting room floor. I always felt like the Phantom Menace could have been greatly improved with some savvy cuts in editing.

Quote:
The generational thing is true, I was still in Elementary when I saw Episode I and it hit all the right cords that I still love now and feel it's as Star Wars as the rest while for Ep.III I was in High School and it just didn't do it for me, I still rank the prequels I>II>III.
Middle school for me. I've thought about that sometimes. If my still being a kid at the time colored my perceptions any. I try not to let myself fall too far into nostalgia and take a good look at the things I liked as a kid - it doesn't always work out for the best - but I wonder how much of my own affection is just because it was the first new Star Wars I'd ever seen in theaters and how magical it all still seemed. But then, I enjoyed Episode III and I think I was seventeen at the time, so maybe not?

It's hard to say. We're all different.

Anyway, my ranking is I>III>II.

Quote:
Though I still really, really despise large chunks of the Obi-Wan & Anakin fight... just not as much as so much of Episode II is cringeworthy or meaningless.
The fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin went overlong, I think, but it's always been bolstered by being a climactic moment in the franchise where everything turned. There's emotion, pathos and build, so even the bits that don't work are papered over.

Episode II didn't really have anything to help gloss over the bad parts. Half the film was pretty cringe. I always liked the plot with Obi-Wan tracking down clues and such, but then you'd cut to Anakin and Padme and just kind of squirm. It wouldn't be an issue if they had any sort of chemistry, but neither the actors or the script pulled any of that part off.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #57
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
That's pretty likely to happen at some point. Possibly in the future when/if the series loses some luster from becoming just another franchise and they want guaranteed massive openings. That's what's funny/sad about seeing people upset about someone being cast as a young Han; I have the suspicion that at some point, we're going to see the entire original crew recast.
i'm sure of it. no matter what re-cast/re-made versions of the original Star Wars movies would be like they'd still sell plenty of tickets.