The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #1041
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Obviously it's going to be some sith shenanigans that he transferred his body or his spirit was able to still live but unlike the ghost forces he's a real threat somehow. I mean the old EU brought him back with the clones story where he just transferred his spirit so something along those lines.

The new crappy EU has already been establishing subtly that palps was busy during the OT era finding info on ancient sith artifacts, especially those related to life. And that tv spot has palps talking in Snoke's voice basically retconning Snoke into being palps all along.

It's cheap and superhero comic like but star wars has kinda fallen in that whole, I mean darth maul also somehow survived, and at least before it was only canon in the EU but disney actually had maul in a movie so deaths being cheapened is already a part of this new star wars universe.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #1042
sdp
Megan Fox = April

How did Kylo get Vader's helmet? How did that one weird alien from TFA get Luke's lightsaber that fell in bespin?

Aren't they going to the deathstar in this movie? Perhaps palpatine's spirit is still there, that's the most likely scenario, that's why they go there, it's where the "evil" that set in motion this trilogy is emanating from and the way to save the galaxy.

I mean this is all speculation I've been spoiler free completely, I only watched the trailers and 2 of the tv spots. It's not going to be a great explanation but whatever, what else can they do with this stain of a trilogy to wrap it up?

Even palpatine's actor basically confirmed they just called him in an interview and said "hey, we were thinking about bringing you back to be able to wrap up this trilogy with the past ones". So it's a half assed attempt but at least it's an attempt they're doing.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #1043
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think the idea is that the Palpatine that died in RotJ was the clone or whatever. This is the real deal, now.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #1044
oldmanwinters
Overlord

If Vader came back as a Force Ghost in future movies... what would he look and sound like?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #1045
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
If Vader came back as a Force Ghost in future movies... what would he look and sound like?
The unused concept art for TFA had him as this half Vader/half Anakin thing. Like he would shift between them and sometimes be both.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #1046
Sumac
Banned

Palps is Love! Palps is Life!
Vote for Senate!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #1047
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The unused concept art for TFA had him as this half Vader/half Anakin thing. Like he would shift between them and sometimes be both.
Wow first I'd heard of that!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:37 AM   #1048
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think the idea is that the Palpatine that died in RotJ was the clone or whatever. This is the real deal, now.
I dunno it kinda makes Vader's redemption pointless as he never really destroyed the Sith like he was supposed to. It also begs the question if Palpatine has been alive alive for the last 35 years than why did he wait until now to reveal himself?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:24 AM   #1049
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I dunno it kinda makes Vader's redemption pointless as he never really destroyed the Sith like he was supposed to. It also begs the question if Palpatine has been alive alive for the last 35 years than why did he wait until now to reveal himself?
It also makes his "grand plan" a pretty sh**ty one. Like... OK, I'm going to force a civil war with the Separatists, create an Empire of which I'm now Emperor of... wipe out the Jedi, sit on the throne forever -- it all tracks so far -- but then... let my apprentice kill me, let a New Republic take over while my First Order waits for reinforcements from my secret fleet 35 years later? Why even do that at all?

I think what's going to arise is that Anakin was his eyed "Chosen One," but in RotJ he realized he wasn't, so he went into a waiting game until the real "Chosen One" showed up. Or something. It doesn't really work.

Spoiler:
I can confirm Palpatine is on life support in that chair. And it's him. Also Rey and Kylo confronting him, both with blue lightsabers. I've seen screencaps of all of this.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:34 AM   #1050
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Spoiler:

Old 12-17-2019, 03:14 AM   #1051
ZariusTwo
Overlord

John Campea didn't like the movie.

Can I enjoy it just for that alone?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #1052
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
John Campea didn't like the movie.

Can I enjoy it just for that alone?
He saw Justice League, like, 6 times, so there is no telling with him.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #1053
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh... this is really the way they want to market the movie?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #1054
IMJ
Emperor

Just a point to consider - Only a true, true nerd would be directly insulted by Disney and their constituents, be told off and likened to the worst of humanity by Rian Johnson after paying him; and still pay to go see The Rise of Skywalker.

That's like the kid who gives the school bully his lunch money, then gets slapped in the face and afterwards still tries to friend up to the POS who violated him.

Resist your addictions people. Money talks.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM   #1055
Sumac
Banned

This poster and slogan are really something.
I wonder was it unintentional or not?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #1056
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
This poster and slogan are really something.
I wonder was it unintentional or not?
They're just throwing stuff out there, seemingly. "Just make it say something about identity!"

Look at this:

That's an actual paid ad on Facebook. How is that supposed to make me want to see the movie? So it's either "question your identity!" or "It's the VERY LAST one!"? That's it? Those are the only ways they want to market this movie?
Old 12-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #1057
IMJ
Emperor

That's because the actual last word of the movie is "Skywalker" when she says "my name is Ray, Ray Skywalker".

It's a travesty and they think they are being clever by wearing it out in the open in ads.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:41 PM   #1058
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think I'm just head in the Star Wars hate cycle, most didn't hate TFA until TLJ or at least Rogue One, that's when the tide began to change, people were just in denial until TLJ happened. As bad as TLJ is, the biggest flaw is the one inherited from TFA which is just rebels vs empire v.2.0. After a few months/year of TLJ even most who defended are now on the other side, however now TROS is getting mixed reviews even with all the pro disney machine going on. I can only imagine things will get ugly.

I'm already passed that, this trilogy sucks, I'm hoping to get some cool scenes, and that's it. They can't possibly make this trilogy good, but I don't want this movie to suck, I want it to be good and the movie isn't going to do bad no matter how much I want it, it'll still do amazing numbers because it's the last one and everyone haters and lovers will watch it just to see what it is.

I can't wait to see the movie, I'm spoiler free for the most part and can't wait to see what the hell they do, I'm genuinely curious. End of an era. I can still love certain aspects of star wars and for me any new movies will be treated the same way I treated the old EU. I would read the titles that interested me and the others I ignored because they were silly fanfic crap. Disney could've had something special with star wars but oh well, at least I can still enjoy the franchise. I've come along way since my meltdowns in Episode VII and Episode VIII threads
Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #1059
Leo656
The Franchise

I, personally, don't have a big problem with "Rebels vs. Empire" being recycled or rehashed. That's not my problem with the new flicks. It's always going to come back around to some variation of that, even if the names of the "Empire" and "Rebellion" are occasionally changed or updated or whatever. As I've said before, "War" is right there in the franchise title, and "scrappy underdogs" vs. "supreme overlords" is a pretty universal theme. It lends itself great to just about any story because the "Big Bullies vs. The Oppressed" doesn't require a whole lot of exposition or backstory to explain or set up. You can jump into the middle of the story and still know, essentially, what's going on. And right down to an individual level, every single person is, in some way, either the Bully or the Victim, so it's a concept that speaks to people fundamentally. Sure, there are other stories about War that you can utilize, but the simplest approach is usually the best.

No, my problem is that the Sequel Trilogy had three important jobs to do:
1. Give the old cast of characters a proper and satisfying send-off.
2. Introduce new, well-defined characters that can take the place of the originals going forward without upsetting too many people.
3. Handle the "passing of the torch" from Old to New in a graceful and satisfying way.

They failed miserably with ALL THREE. I mean, I liked TFA more than most people did; I understood why they had to play it safe and I thought they did a reasonably good job. I liked the new characters just fine, BUT I was hopeful that the upcoming films would flesh them out more, give them some good material to work with... but they didn't do that. Just "identity politics" nonsense and Ma-Rey Sue (and Lord, I *hate* the term "Mary Sue", because I feel like ANY Original Character nowadays gets slapped with that label just by existing, and it unfairly limits a writers' ability to create new characters, so I don't use it lightly). I liked Poe in TFA, but by the end of TLJ I wanted him dead. I was a big fan of Rey in TFA, I saw a lot of potential... all wasted in the sequel. Like literally, everyone I liked in the first flick, I was sick of by the end of the second. And that's due to piss-poor writing. The actors are fine.

And then there's the horrible way they handled the original cast. Not even ONE goddamn scene of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie together, give or take a Lando? COME ON, that's the very first thing they should have thought of doing. I know Abrams has apologized for dropping the ball on that, but it's not really even his fault, it's the fault of his Corporate Overlords at Disney who told him not to worry too much about the original cast because they're not who's important. And now, they wasted the chance, and since Carrie Fisher had to go and do what Carrie Fisher does (read: Drugs), we'll never, EVER get to see the one and ONLY thing anyone actually WANTED to see in these f*cking sequel movies!

And forget "Passing the torch", that was more like the bum's rush. "Get off the stage, Grandpa, these kids don't wanna see YOU, they're here to see Daisy Ridley get all sweaty, you're just the garnish." Horrible. And to tell the fans who didn't like it that THEY were the problem? Unacceptable. I know these films - like the Prequels - were always going to face a backlash, simply because the fans have been writing all three movies in their heads for the last few decades - like the Prequels! - but it didn't have to be THIS bad.

So yeah... that's my problem. Not that TFA was a little bit too familiar, or that the entire plot of "Rebels vs. Empire" is essentially recycled. To some degree, that stuff was inevitable and unavoidable. "There's only so many basic plots", etc. etc. But they had a very simple job to do and COMPLETELY f*cked it up by making the wrong things a priority.

In 40 years, Luke Skywalker will still sell ten times as many action figures as Rey "Skywalker". Could've been about even, but they f*cked it up.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 12-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #1060
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I, personally, don't have a big problem with "Rebels vs. Empire" being recycled or rehashed. That's not my problem with the new flicks. It's always going to come back around to some variation of that, even if the names of the "Empire" and "Rebellion" are occasionally changed or updated or whatever. As I've said before, "War" is right there in the franchise title, and "scrappy underdogs" vs. "supreme overlords" is a pretty universal theme. It lends itself great to just about any story because the "Big Bullies vs. The Oppressed" doesn't require a whole lot or exposition of backstory to explain or set up. You can jump into the middle of the story and still know, essentially, what's going on. And right down to an individual level, every single person is, in some way, either the Bully or the Victim, so it's a concept that speaks to people fundamentally. Sure, there are other stories about War that you can utilize, but the simplest approach is usually the best.

No, my problem is that the Sequel Trilogy had three important jobs to do:
1. Give the old cast of characters a proper and satisfying send-off.
2. Introduce new, well-defined characters that can take the place of the originals going forward without upsetting too many people.
3. Handle the "passing of the torch" from Old to New in a graceful and satisfying way.

They failed miserably with ALL THREE. I mean, I liked TFA more than most people did; I understood why they had to play it safe and I thought they did a reasonably good job. I liked the new characters just fine, BUT I was hopeful that the upcoming films would flesh them out more, give them some good material to work with... but they didn't do that. Just "identity politics" nonsense and Ma-Rey Sue (and Lord, I *hate* the term "Mary Sue", because I feel like ANY Original Character nowadays gets slapped with that label just by existing, and it unfairly limits a writers' ability to create new characters, so I don't use it lightly). I liked Poe in TFA, but by the end of TLJ I wanted him dead. I was a big fan of Rey in TFA, I saw a lot of potential... all wasted in the sequel. Like literally, everyone I liked in the first flick, I was sick of by the end of the second. And that's due to piss-poor writing. The actors are fine.

And then there's the horrible way they handled the original cast. Not even ONE goddamn scene of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie together, give or take a Lando? COME ON, that's the very first thing they should have thought of doing. I know Abrams has apologized for dropping the ball on that, but it's not really even his fault, it's the fault of his Corporate Overlords at Disney who told him not to worry too much about the original cast because they're not who's important. And now, they wasted the chance, and since Carrie Fisher had to go and do what Carrie Fisher does (read: Drugs), we'll never, EVER get to see the one and ONLY thing anyone actually WANTED to see in these f*cking sequel movies!

And forget "Passing the torch", that was more like the bum's rush. "Get off the stage, Grandpa, these kids don't wanna see YOU, they're here to see Daisy Ridley get all sweaty, you're just the garnish." Horrible. And to tell the fans who didn't like it that THEY were the problem? Unacceptable. I know these films - like the Prequels - were always going to face a backlash, simply because the fans have been writing all three movies in their heads for the last few decades - like the Prequels! - but it didn't have to be THIS bad.

So yeah... that's my problem. Not that TFA was a little bit too familiar, or that the entire plot of "Rebels vs. Empire" is essentially recycled. To some degree, that stuff was inevitable and unavoidable. "There's only so many basic plots", etc. etc. But they had a very simple job to do and COMPLETELY f*cked it up by making the wrong things a priority.

In 40 years, Luke Skywalker will still sell ten times as many action figures as Rey "Skywalker". Could've been about even, but they f*cked it up.
This was probably your most articulate and well argued post ever.